New spellbooks?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 chaoserver

chaoserver
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 01:12 AM

Now first let me state the obvious: Great mod, when I make this suggestion Im in n oway implying this mod is unenjoyable.

However that being said, what could truly set this mod apart from others would be a near completely new spellbook. For a few reasons, one being you could make factions even more diverse, and add incentive to play the mod, as often people play a mod for a change of pace, and that would certainly be a draw. And of course with more people playing, more exciting online play ect.

Anyhoo before I get off track just a few ideas:

1. Summons for evil factions aswell(balrog excluded), perhaps morgoth summon, sauron summon ect. Also unit summons could be good, as if another summoned an army of horsemen, you could summon pikes, however if they summoned elves your choice of summon isnt so good... Perhaps making aod cost 20 aswell, or the balrog a less(and weaker) expensive balrog, and gothmog(Lord of the balrogs) as the highest summon.

2. A lesser version of a buyable power point ability to enhance sarumans(saruman maia, saruman of many colors ect.) power, perhaps unlocking his level 10 ability, which might add incentive to level him.

3. Some territory abilties(something like setting a section of trees on fire or something to that effect, damaging units), perhaps have a territory change for fod(increasing attack instead of defense).

4. A few changes in prices and effectiveness of the few abilities kept.

#2 Celeglin

Celeglin

Silhouette of a Serenade

• Hosted
  • 2,468 posts
  • Projects:The Elven Alliance, Rhovanion Alliance
  •  T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 08 November 2006 - 02:18 AM

As cool as completely new spellbooks would be, it's just far too much work for me. I dislike coding, and spellbook powers are 90% coding... It would also involve a good deal of AI reworking, something I'm reluctant to do as I've yet to get spellbook powers working perfectly with the AI.

Thanks for your suggestions though.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 Elvenlord

Elvenlord

Polis Ranger

• Advisors
  • 3,838 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 08 November 2006 - 03:04 AM

The tainted land thing was good, and it wouldn't be to hard, right? :p
I mean, all you have to do is change armor to damage.
I don't know, I'm no modder. ;)
But it would be more.... Can't find the word right now ;)
Since the FoD were always attacking (for the most part :p )

elvenlordbanner.jpg

#4 Celeglin

Celeglin

Silhouette of a Serenade

• Hosted
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 03:06 AM

I also don't want to have to change things simply for the sake of changing them. EA balanced the evil factions to the defensive bonus of Tainted Lands... Changing that over to attack would offset that.

I should mention though, that I would love to get rid of those damn Balrog and AotD abilities...

Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 adummy

adummy

Keep it Clean!

• Project Team
  • 1,760 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 03:06 AM

bad idea elven. now cel is going to come question again why we are still asking for it.
trust me on this, im taking a programming class and i finally now how hard :p it is for a modder to code ;) :( ;)

edit: told ya
edit 2: hurray revora almost has its 6,000 member. welcome chaoserver!

Edited by adummy, 08 November 2006 - 03:10 AM.

Posted Image

#6 Elvenlord

Elvenlord

Polis Ranger

• Advisors
  • 3,838 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 08 November 2006 - 03:08 AM

Ok, sorry.
I'm taking a website making class, and it takes forever to code some of that stuff, can't even imagine how bad it must be for you

elvenlordbanner.jpg

#7 Celeglin

Celeglin

Silhouette of a Serenade

• Hosted
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 03:10 AM

It's actually not that bad once you figure out the basics... I just hate doing it. I prefer the art side of things.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 adummy

adummy

Keep it Clean!

• Project Team
  • 1,760 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 03:12 AM

its very hard at first. i had to spend over 2 hours just to write a code that will find that amount of wallpaper needed for a room. :( :p ;) ;)

Edited by adummy, 08 November 2006 - 03:13 AM.

Posted Image

#9 Elvenlord

Elvenlord

Polis Ranger

• Advisors
  • 3,838 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 08 November 2006 - 03:13 AM

Yeah, I can make decent website in like 20 minutes, but when I started it took me hours to do one that really wasn't that good ;)

elvenlordbanner.jpg

#10 chaoserver

chaoserver
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 04:49 AM

Hm. Would adding summons and such really be that hard? Not to belittle what you've done but I've attemtped modding before, and pulled off something of an adequate Sauron and orc soldier summons, which was relatively easy, as opposed to never coming close to creating a new faction or anything more than a slightly altered existing hero.

I see what you mean by making entirely new spellbooks, but you wouldnt really have to, just subsitute some in(eg, put sarumans power up somewhere in the right branch of the abilities, and possibly make tainted land give attack bonus as opposed to defense, neither of which(unless Im mistaken) would be all that hard.

Sorry if I come across as rude, just offering a few ideas for this already phenomenal mod.

#11 zimoo

zimoo

Ecthelion of the Fountain

• Project Team
  • 2,009 posts
  • Projects:Lurking until the off topic begins...
  •  Guardian of the Books

Posted 08 November 2006 - 10:24 AM

He didn't say it would be hard, he just said he hated coding (personally I hate spellbook coding too). Also, he mentioned that he was unable to get spells working well for the AI.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Playing games? Ah, you'll never be a good modder if you get involved in actually playing them!

#12 chaoserver

chaoserver
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 10:33 AM

Ah, missed the part about the AI

#13 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 08 November 2006 - 03:41 PM

why do you hate spellbook coding? That's the part I love! :p I hate the part when I have to FIX errors, or add new people (units, and hordes, gah) well, I can code "advance", but I agree partly with Cel.... Art all the way :lol: :cool: well, not nearly as good as Cel though, but I don't use very much time on them do I? nah, the skins that's been worked on the most, probably....1 hour?:wub:

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

#14 Celeglin

Celeglin

Silhouette of a Serenade

• Hosted
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 04:18 PM

why do you hate spellbook coding? That's the part I love! :p I hate the part when I have to FIX errors, or add new people (units, and hordes, gah) well, I can code "advance",

I don't like coding in general... I just dislike spellbook coding a little bit more than the rest because it has so many stupid little extra steps.

nah, the skins that's been worked on the most, probably....1 hour?:cool:

lol, the time it takes me to do a skin varies... Gandalf took me around 2 hours last night... But I could probably pull off an Elf in under a half hour because of the library of texture work I've built up for them :wub: .

Aaaanyway... I must repeat that I would like to get rid of the Balrog and AotD... I've thought of some abilities that could replace them, but would love to hear some brainstorming. For Mordor I was thinking of a Mumakil charge (summon six Mumakil who are in a constant "trample" state... if possible) and a Lightning Storm ability (kind of like that crazy Rain of Fire spell I've seen shots of... But covering the whole map and more spread between the lightning bolts) for Isengard. Haven't any ideas yet for Rohan, and if I can't think of anything decent for Gondor, I'd consider leaving them with AotD.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 08 November 2006 - 04:49 PM

well, if any, Gondor should have AotD. Why didn't EA make something else for Rohan in the first place? :p

Anyways, do something that's the same as your elves last power ;) haven't tried it yet:P but that mist, if it's only hiding your troops (wich is good) you should have something that is about the same effectiveness for the others...

An idea for Mordor though, would be that you "summon" a fellbeast w\rider that comes from heaven (ironic isn't it?:cool:) and flies "right down" and "crashes" into the area, and destroying everything within', then fly straigt off the map. you'll have to do an anim for that though :wub: maybe.... but now that I've said that, I almost wanna do it myself :lol: anyways, the Isenguard sounds pretty cool :) although, it could be hard acctually hitting something, so I'd take the aoe back in it ;) but still, I wouldn't let it be a base crusher, since Isenguard is the best Siege faction :p

For Rohan and Gondor, I have little ideas, exept summons from eachother :p wich is a very boring one too ;) and Gondor can already summon Rohirrim ;)
but, there could be a charge one for Rohan, that summons a Rohirrim Army to trample the enemy, but then again, making the move themself would prove difficult, atleast if their suppose to go against the enemy! don't think it's possible. but they would be unconntrollable :D
Gondor, hmm.... maybe a trebuchet artillery? that comes from "heaven" and hits the targeted, wich is suppose to be destroyed :D

anyways, I might come up with something better later, dunno ;)

EDIT: fixed 10 spelling mistakes, more there still are :p
And something rohirric :p They could have something with the sunrise to do, since basicly, both TTT and ROTK showed that they came with the sunrise :p but the power itself is a though one, since there is already a spell like that, but perhaps you could make it better, like also raise the attack and speed for your units or something... dunno :p

Edited by Lauri, 08 November 2006 - 04:55 PM.

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

#16 zimoo

zimoo

Ecthelion of the Fountain

• Project Team
  • 2,009 posts
  • Projects:Lurking until the off topic begins...
  •  Guardian of the Books

Posted 08 November 2006 - 05:04 PM

Man that was a lot of smilies in one post.

Just so you know, the elves special power doesn't stealth people, it just damages everything in the radius. It's very useful for taking down massed orc armies I find.

Anyway a few quick ideas to stop this post from being entirely useless:

Gondor - Blood of Numenor - All units and heroes permanently get large stat boosts, so that the Gondor army might actually be feared for once *gasps*

Rohan - Hmm can't think of much for them. I was thinking maybe a "Favour of the Lady" ability, but stealth powers like that don't have any base in the BFME1 code.

I don't have any ideas for the evil factions except the boring old summon powers :(
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Playing games? Ah, you'll never be a good modder if you get involved in actually playing them!

#17 Elvenlord

Elvenlord

Polis Ranger

• Advisors
  • 3,838 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 08 November 2006 - 09:28 PM

I have a boring summon idea for rohan :wub:
You could summnn Haldir and a army of elves, but there already is a elf summon :p
:lol:
:cool:

Edited by Elvenlord, 08 November 2006 - 09:29 PM.

elvenlordbanner.jpg

#18 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 08 November 2006 - 10:38 PM

Which means your idea is for Cel to add Haldir into the summon. Shouldn't be hard to do.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#19 adummy

adummy

Keep it Clean!

• Project Team
  • 1,760 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 12:39 AM

you could have mordor summon sauron for a little while.
isengeard should summon catapults in my opion.
if you plan on moving aragorn and gimli out of rohan you could have their power be aid of the hunters (aragorn, legolas, gimli)
Posted Image

#20 Celeglin

Celeglin

Silhouette of a Serenade

• Hosted
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 02:16 AM

[quote]you could have mordor summon sauron for a little while.[/quote]
Nope, I won't have a Sauron summon. Going to be faithful to the books in that respect.

[quote]isengeard should summon catapults in my opion.[/quote
I'm really quite fond of the Thunder Storm ability.

[quote]if you plan on moving aragorn and gimli out of rohan you could have their power be aid of the hunters (aragorn, legolas, gimli)
[/quote]
I actually don't plan on removing Gimli. It would mean more heroes to create for Rohan and more balance work for Gondor. I also like the idea that the three hunters are split over the three good factions. My current thoughts for a Rohan ultimate power revolve around Helm's Horn...

EDIT: Why in hell aren't my quotes working :thumbsupsmiley:

Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users