SAGE code = hard

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JarmoNator

JarmoNator
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 08:29 PM

I've tried to modify Generals code to add factions, add units, add science, at least add ANYTHING! But no; the only feedback has become with glorious "technical difficulties" or something else error message either during loading or after the splash screen. Months of attemps - pointless, and there's nobody who could help properly. I'd really be eager to have even SOMETHING own working in there!

Why I consider it so hard? Because of chains of code files: if there's an error in one piece, the whole system collapses because it's connected to other weird or long code. I understand the code a bit though, but I am not able to use it to my works with correct way for some kind of illogical reason... there's always a simple answer: "technical difficulties". And if you have fixed the problem, you're back in starting point.

Yes, this is whining, but seriously, I want to see that fella who is able to help beginners to code! It's almost an impossible mission to accomplish. They're either 1) users who are skilled, but talk like this: "copy paste to newfaction repeat this and add new unit and copypaste the tech", 2) users, who mock the newbies due to lack of their skills, OR 3) users, who wouldn't otherwise like to give a crap and has zero motivation to help but he must to because there's a newbie to get it stop whining and asking questions!

*sigh*

Nothing but coding is what I need... and experience, but it's not possible to acquire by self.

#2 Fighting Phantom

Fighting Phantom

That guy who posts too much

• Project Team
  • 546 posts
  • Projects:V|GO beta testing, Phantom Generals
  •  The

Posted 12 November 2006 - 11:41 PM

Coding this game really sucks. I've had to learn to do stuff on my own and i've gotten fairly good at it. But theres so much stuff coding-wise i could only wish to do.

#3 JarmoNator

JarmoNator
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 06:06 AM

Coding this game really sucks. I've had to learn to do stuff on my own and i've gotten fairly good at it. But theres so much stuff coding-wise i could only wish to do.

Indeed. I'd really like to get my project to even a little start. Then it could be even shown, e.g. screenshots and stuff; the cameos and story won't possibly make an impression to people alone... and I would really need a coder. If not to the coding, at least teaching. Say, you have your project, eh? Any time to consume to save the day of a desperate modder? x3

#4 Fighting Phantom

Fighting Phantom

That guy who posts too much

• Project Team
  • 546 posts
  • Projects:V|GO beta testing, Phantom Generals
  •  The

Posted 13 November 2006 - 06:29 AM

you know what, sure, i'd be willing to give it a shot. Im still new at the modding but i should atleast be able to help you get going.

#5 Slye_Fox

Slye_Fox

ConRed Mod Leader

• Hosted
  • 1,357 posts
  • Projects:Sigma Invasion, CnC: Condition Red, Armoured Sky: Ethereal Dawn
  •  The fluffy fox of Revora.

Posted 13 November 2006 - 10:13 AM

Coding Gens is pritty easy.

#6 JarmoNator

JarmoNator
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 02:00 PM

Coding Gens is pritty easy.

So is the hexadecimal system, I consider it easy, but I dunno the others xD (sarcastic)
For some, yes. For others, no. Remember: it depends from the person.

you know what, sure, i'd be willing to give it a shot. Im still new at the modding but i should atleast be able to help you get going.

Jubilations! There's still exists a spark of hope. I thank you.
...But how to start? Chatting?

#7 stack111

stack111

born with rags, on the road to riches

• Hosted
  • 464 posts
  • Projects:Zero Hour Mod Conquer or Die

Posted 28 November 2006 - 04:38 AM

i'll help you out add me on msn messenger : dan.stack@sbcglobal.net
hopefully your on a similar time zone
Posted Image
"The great questions of the day will not be decided by speeches and resolutions but by blood and iron" Otto Von Bismarck

#8 CodeCat

CodeCat

Half fox, half cat, and all insanity!

• Members
  • 3,768 posts
  •  Fighting for equality of all species

Posted 28 November 2006 - 07:34 PM

I suppose modding Generals needs you to think in a different way. Yes, I know EA designed some things very poorly, but it's all we have. No need complaining about it either cause EA is deafer than a fundamentalist when it comes to listening to people.
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 beng

beng
  • Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 03:08 AM

Have you tried programming in a real language? Coding generals is easy in comparison. It is just editing settings in ini files. If you have Zero Hour the worldbuilder even works as a code parsing debugger.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users