Photo

Skirmish AI 2.0 Beta 7 - Post Comments In Thread!

37 replies to this topic

#21 ArkhanTheBlack

ArkhanTheBlack

title available

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 10:55 PM

1. Necrons are too slow building generators at gamestart. I watched some expert necron replays and often necron players have 5 generators at 3min mark. AI doesn't have to do this but they are too slow. They have excessive resources and can happily use them to build generators and improve their econ.

This is a bit complicated since the scrabs are also used as capturers. If we want them to build more generators at the start, we might have to force about 4 gens in the buildorderstrategy before they even start to capture a point. This could work, though I'm not sure if it's to dangerous. It could slow teching down which is suicide against SM dreadnoughts. Though if they get more resources they might be able compensate the slow down.

2. Necrons are too slow building their last LP upgrade. Experts do build them really early sometimes. Arent't they providing necron cap too ? I had a necron with +240 power and power > 1200 (donating constantly) who still had 17 infantry and 11 vehicle cap. No necron went beyond 11 vehicle cap at all the whole game ! This seems to be buggy and really does handicap necron late game.

This could be a mistake from me. I was quiet busy fixing the 50.000 other Necron problems, so I treated them like the usual turret/post improvement of the other races. I'll try to fix this. I guess as soon as they've got the bigger summoning core => Max post 2 addons.

3. What for is necron saving up 1200+ power if he doen't use it for this special expensive 1000 power build (no idea what it is as I don't play the game). The middle necron had +240 power and > 1200 but he was not using it for his big builds. He had a big generator.

They were saving for the restored monolith I guess. The problem is that the monolith is horrible bugged. Very often they just can't build it for some reason. They also often refuse to repair a destroyed restored monolith.

4. Tau do build up power too fast and should better slow this down a bit in favor of more early units. I'm still not convinced that Kroot path is valid against necrons. At least they should build more krootox (or whatever is their name) which are imba and spammable. I rarely see them at all and not in sufficient numbers.

I've already reduced the chance of the kroot way against Necron. I think it's only 1/5 if I remember right. If Tau don't build Krootoxes, they probably have a too low unit rating. Should be easily fixed.

addon_necron_hq_2 is no standard build in Necron warrior strategy. Is this intentional ?

-- Necron warrior strategy
			{
				{ 1, 0, 0, 0, 0,	"Rush", 	"Prepare" },
				{ 1, 0, 0, 0, 3,	"Unit",		"necron_basic_warrior_squad" },
				{ 1, 0, 175, 0, 1,	"Unit",		"necron_lord_squad" },
				{ 1, 0, 350, 0, 1,	"Building",	"monolith" },
				{ 1, 0, 20, 0, 2,	"Building",	  "necron_plasma_generator" },
				{ 1, 0, 120, 0, 1,	"Building",	 "necron_summoning_core" },
				{ 1, 0, 60, 0, 4,	"Building",	"necron_plasma_generator" },
				{ 1, 0, 200, 600, 1,	"Research",	"necron_warrior_boost" },
				{ 1, 0, 75, 0, 1,	"TurretAddon",  "addon_necron_list_post_1" },
				{ 1, 0, 300, 800, 1,	"Addon", 	"addon_necron_hq_1" },
				{ 1, 0, 125, 500, 1,	"Building",	"necron_turret" },
				{ 1, 0, 100, 500, 6,	"Building",	"necron_plasma_generator" },
				{ 1, 0, 150, 500, 1,	"Building",	"necron_forbidden_archive" },
				{ 1, 0, 75, 250, 100,	"TurretAddon",  "addon_necron_list_post_1" },
				{ 2, 0, 0, 0, 2,	"Unit",		"necron_basic_warrior_squad" },
				{ 2, 0, 250, 250, 1,	"Building",	"necron_greater_summoning_core" },
				{ 2, 0, 175, 0, 1,	"Unit",		"necron_lord_squad" },
				{ 2, 0, 250, 0, 1,	"Unit",		"necron_destroyer_squad" },
				{ 2, 0, 135, 0, 1,	"Unit",		"necron_immortal_squad" },
				{ 2, 0, 250, 0, 1,	"Unit",		"necron_tomb_spyder_squad" },
				{ 2, 0, 60, 0, 1,	"Unit",		"necron_wraith_squad" },
				{ 2, 0, 140, 1000, 8,	"Building",	"necron_plasma_generator" },
				{ 2, 0, 200, 1000, 1,	"Research",	"necron_warrior_boost_2" },
				{ 2, 0, 50, 1000, 50,	"TurretAddon",  "addon_necron_turret" },
				{ 2, 0, 350, 1000, 2,	"Building",	"monolith" },
				{ 2, 0, 400, 1000, 1,	"Research",	"necron_power_research" },
				{ 2, 0, 75, 1000, 1,	"Research",	"necron_wraith_boost" },
				{ 2, 0, 350, 1500, 1,	"Addon",	"addon_necron_hq_2" }, !!!!!
:p ?!?

#22 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 11:56 PM

addon_nercon_hq_2 missing was obviously my fault. I copy/pasted lp addons_2 before this research to boost cap and propably deleted the line. Sorry.

I remember an expert necron player to build LP addon2 really early. Is it possible the don't have excessive prereqs ? They are cheap (150) too.

I forced necron to build 3 gens instead of 2 in their fixed early buildorder and this time they won on bloodshed. I'm sure it had other reasons but at least it was not counterproductive.

Can we try to reuse cpu_manager.terrain_analyzer:HasThreatOnPath() as I had used it for some battles now without a crash ? At least 5 of them were at Mountain Trail.

Edited by LarkinVB, 23 November 2006 - 11:57 PM.

#23 akate

akate
  • New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 01:25 AM

Please help me! I can't find the link to download the Skirmish AI 2.0

#24 ArkhanTheBlack

ArkhanTheBlack

title available

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 01:30 AM

I remember an expert necron player to build LP addon2 really early. Is it possible the don't have excessive prereqs ? They are cheap (150) too.

Yes, I think that shouldn't be a problem!

I forced necron to build 3 gens instead of 2 in their fixed early buildorder and this time they won on bloodshed. I'm sure it had other reasons but at least it was not counterproductive.

3 sounds like a good compromise. I'll try that too!

Can we try to reuse cpu_manager.terrain_analyzer:HasThreatOnPath() as I had used it for some battles now without a crash ? At least 5 of them were at Mountain Trail.

Very good! I'll reactivate it at once. Let's hope it works without trouble...

#25 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts
  • Projects:DoW AI Scripting Project
  • Division:DoW
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 24 November 2006 - 01:38 AM

Not available yet. ;)

Larkin -- yeaa sorry d00d.. Yer right from a developer perspective. Guess I'm quite satisfied with the battlefield preformance I'm seeing. I do not see the Necron AI lacking in the squad cap department - they always build up to the max they can (based on # of LPs capped and built), they always upgrade LPs to Addon_1 in a decent time (about same as other factions), they always have enough power now (since giving them to quick gamestart power builds).. Also.. having now 15 hours combined of testing the current build, the Tau continue to be generally unbeatable. When they are in a team of 2vs2 or 3vs3 the team they're on will 8/10 times win. Ouch.

Saying all that.. I totally respect yer side of things and so does Arkhan. Thanks for being here to see things we perhaps miss.
Advanced Skirmish AI Team Lead for the coolest Warhammer40k PC RTS out there:

Dawn of War Advanced AI Headquarters

Latest DoW Advanced AI Download!

#26 dctrjons

dctrjons
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 01:40 AM

I think it will be the first sticky post when they are done tweeking. Enjoy your holiday.

#27 troubadour

troubadour
  • Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 08:30 AM

I had several games as Tau vs Tau (AI) on Fallen City and Face Off
* stealth suits seems to be ok
* the BO order where the AI starts by building kroots squad is "weak" compare with
a FW builf order, i mean i usuually easily the first one whereas i severily beaten when the AI goes for FW
first
* One thing i noticed in one of my game, the AI kicked my ass and by the end it had built etheral commander, greater knarloc, vespid squad but did not rebuild its commander... It was not really needed cause i was mostly dead by the time
I wont call that a "bug" because it depends on how you managed the commander (re)build

#28 Zenoth

Zenoth

title available

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 12:10 PM

Report for Beta 7

Settings for all three matches were as follows ...

Map: Mountain Trail
Difficulty: Hard
Resources Sharing: Off
Resources Rate: Standard
Players: -Me as SM, allied with Tau- Vs -Necrons & Orks-
Winners: Me & Tau

Comments: I've tried three matches so far on Mountain Trail with Beta 7, and the first two games are showing something quite obvious at least as far as the Necrons go, however it might apply to other races as well, but it only occurred with the Necrons for all matches (especially the first two). And here I'm referring to a confusion with their decisions regarding gathering and allied support.

Please note: This report focuses on the Necrons for both presented matches

-MATCH #1-

---

º Hesitation to attack, favors gathering º

When the first Necron Warrior squad was trained they immediately went to the southern LP, and stood there for a couple of seconds. They didn't actually gather with any other forces, they were completely alone until the Necron Lord showed up. That's why I bring this up, I'm not sure what was the necessity of staying there for that amount of time, especially considering what they decided to do, while still being alone, after that (as shown in the next paragraph).
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

They eventually decide to attack (or scout) further south to the LP located between their own base and mine. They engaged my forces only for a few seconds and then they suddenly went back to their base. Here they are seen retreating. However the proper wording should be "seen back tracking to their base to gather", because that's exactly what they did. They didn't get back because they were dying, in fact they'd have been able to handle my early forces easily until the Necron Lord arrived (probably by dancing a little with my forces by keeping their distance), but it didn't happened that way.
Posted Image

All that to follow the Necron Lord to a point between the Orks base and theirs (the Necron's) for early ally support which wasn't actually needed. The Orks could hold their territory effectively. The Necron forces just went to support them because they (Orks) were being attacked (by the Tau of course). However the Necron forces didn't actually reach the Orks base as mentioned (they just went between their base and the Orks base). They suddenly back tracked once more in favor for more gathering, since a second Necron Warrior squad arrived. The NL and the first NW squad together would have been more useful owning my forces at the southern LP, instead of going half way to the Orks base, only to go back at their base to gather up again.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

º Too much ally support, no forces splitting º

I decide to put it this way. The Necrons, in their support actions, for their Orks ally, sent all their forces available each time they wanted to support them. In my opinion they'd need to slip up their forces in half (if possible). However there's still a potential problem. If splitting their forces would be possible, then we'd need to make sure that the gathering priorities don't influence their "properly sent amount of reinforcements". For example, they would split up in half, but all of a sudden both groups re-gather together at one point because just one new unit would have been built (because that's what's happening right now).
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

º Hesitation between ally support and attack "loop" again º

It a was recurrent Necron problem for the whole match, but it was more noticeable towards the end of the game. As shown in the screen shots (that's about what happened in order), they eventually gather some forces at their Relic (nothing quite menacing should I add), then they apparently hesitate (moving around the Relic's immediate surroundings, back and forth) between attacking/scouting at the southern LP (where I stood for very, very long, expecting them to do something) and going for some Greenies support once more. But they finally decide to go against my forces (oh the joy to bring the Emperor's wrath has no price), but guess what, they suddenly go back near the Relic, and shortly after go for the Orks base and do support them. However they didn't stay very long, because they went back to their base to gather with yet another newly arrived unit (that, or the Orks scent wasn't a cool thing even for the un-living).
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

---

-MATCH #2-

General comments: Necrons more aggressive early, but still suffer from hesitation.

That one surprised me. Early in the game the Necrons were fierce, more aggressive and went to the southern LP (from their base) to engage my forces (much sooner than I thought). They managed to kill my Commander and the rest of my weak early forces, and found their way to my Relic, and destroyed the post on it. When that happened, I told myself "if those Kroots don't come here right now I'm dead".

I was indeed about to get destroyed, but the Tau helped me, quite surprisingly as well with all their available forces. However that kind of "whole army" support was appropriate for the context, since the Necron forces present at my base was also pretty much all they had. A great early battle (I rarely see that happen) ensued between the NW's, the NL, a bunch of Kroot Carnivores and my newly trained Space Marines. My Tau ally successfully pushed them back, which allowed me to recover fast enough (thanks to my decision to go for an economy build as with match #1), and gather up enough forces to regain control over the LP between my base and the Necron's. I should add that the NL properly retreated since he was dying.Posted Image

I first thought that I'd be in for a great show, almost destroying all the things I noticed from the first match. But something screwed up not long after that very cool early Necron rush.

The hesitation between allied support and gathering still occurred. And it basically killed them as a result. The momentum wasn't right. The moments at which they decided to support the Orks were not the best ones, and the period for their support was short (often going back to base to gather, and then go back to the Orks base once more).

One thing I want to mention though. Is that their actual answer for a help call is working well. The Necrons always supported the Orks when they were being attacked by the Tau. The "problem" however, as I said, could be the actual forces they'd decide to send for help.

I know that an "army split" feature was included in the A.I mod for Winter Assault. I would even go as far as saying that I myself was the one who originally made the suggestion for it during the WA testing phases. And it worked properly. I'm just not sure if you guys made just that for both new races in DC. I haven't seen the Necrons, nor even the Tau may I add, splitting their forces to reinforce their ally properly, not too much, and wage war elsewhere with another group, giving them potentially more territory at one point, and helping their ally(ies) keeping their own grounds at another front.

Here, screen shots showing the match in general ...
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The end for the Necrons.
Posted Image

---

Overall I'd say that the Necrons hesitate too much between gather actions, attack actions and ally support decisions. And also that the Necrons perhaps don't yet have the proper build order to form a bigger army by the same amount of time played in both matches presented here. Indeed I believe that even though the units variety is fine, the actual army size wasn't very surprising. Maybe there was a lack of Resources, maybe too many variants come into play, and perhaps I am just judging too fast based on a total of only three tests in a single map. However I can't help but compare how strong the Tau became, and how weak the Necrons were by the same time.

Maybe the above is subjective, and that technically it depends on the build order decisions (since I believe it ain't the same early build decisions for each games played). So perhaps I was just unlucky. But watching the replays may help you guys understand it better and judge for yourself.

As far as the Tau are concerned they were quite aggressive in all three matches, and always kept the advantage (mostly speed) against the Orks. The Orks rely more on hand-to-hand combat, and they barely managed (at least the infantry) to reach the Tau units before dying in the distance. I am very pleased to see them play like that (well there's not much choice for them anyway, they have to be offensive, it's really not a turtling-friendly race). At first glance I thought there'd be a problem with the Orks, but then I realized that they did "poorly" simply because the Tau were putting constant pressure on them. The Broadsides used their entrench ability properly this time around (good job fixing that guys). And I saw Shas'o Kais using the Jetpack a couple of times, telling me that the Tau now properly researched the tech.

This build is quite satisfying, but there's still a couple of things to look at mostly for the Necrons I'd say (I'd suggest to look at their gathering behavior, then also perhaps to take a look at how they analyze the need to support their ally(ies), how they respond to a call for aid, why do they support the ally and what unit(s) to send in reinforcements, I don't know much about coding but I'd presume you guys understand what I mean).

Well, this report was focused on the Necrons obviously.

I'll try some single-player testing tomorrow and try to let you know what I find out concerning the Daemon Prince.

Alright so I leave the replays. The one from the 23rd is the first match, and the one from the 24th is the second. I didn't present my report for the third match since the first two pretty much described what happened in the third as well (it was almost identical).

Edited by Zenoth, 24 November 2006 - 12:26 PM.

#29 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 03:28 PM

Commander shouldn't attach to squads which can cloak, forcing them to be visible. I observed a force commander at low health attached to scouts while another scout squad was invisible.

#30 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts
  • Projects:DoW AI Scripting Project
  • Division:DoW
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 24 November 2006 - 05:06 PM

Commander shouldn't attach to squads which can cloak, forcing them to be visible. I observed a force commander at low health attached to scouts while another scout squad was invisible.

Should be easy to fix.. (based on the Attachments. script in the following faction unitstats.ai)

CSM - do not attach to Cultist and Marine Squads (both Infiltrate)
Eldar - do not attach to Rangers
SM - do not attach to Scouts

All other factions are unaffected. Thanks Larkin for seeing that!
Advanced Skirmish AI Team Lead for the coolest Warhammer40k PC RTS out there:

Dawn of War Advanced AI Headquarters

Latest DoW Advanced AI Download!

#31 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 09:59 PM

I suggest allowing to attach to them as long as the corresponding infiltration isn't researched yet.

#32 ArkhanTheBlack

ArkhanTheBlack

title available

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 11:17 PM

I solved the problem by adding an IsInfiltrated() check to the attaching code. Therefore single units are not allowed to attach to infiltrating units. I almost forgot the infiltrating skull probes, but Thudo recognized it and now I've added another check, so infiltrators are allowed to attach to all squads, infiltrating or not.

#33 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 11:22 PM

Don't know how it works but what happens when infiltrating units are detected. ? Is IsInfiltrating() false then ? If yes then the commander will still attach, preventing their next infiltration. If no everything is fine.

Edited by LarkinVB, 24 November 2006 - 11:23 PM.

#34 ArkhanTheBlack

ArkhanTheBlack

title available

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 11:33 PM

Don't know how it works but what happens when infiltrating units are detected. ? Is IsInfiltrating() false then ? If yes then the commander will still attach, preventing their next infiltration. If no everything is fine.

Um... actually I've no idea. ;)

#35 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 11:42 PM

Well ... actually it is not that important.

#36 Zenoth

Zenoth

title available

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 01:47 AM

I was watching the replay for the first match once more, and I noticed the following ...

The Necron's Builder Scarabs followed some Necron Warriors, and stood in the middle of a battle as the NW's moved against my forces, so they (Builder Scarabs) were somewhat forced to be a part of it. At first glance I thought that the Scarabs just wanted to reach a certain destination, and that because the NW's were on their path that the Scarabs seemed to follow them. But it wasn't the case after I watched more carefully.

The Builder Scarabs deliberately followed them as if they wanted to repair them.

However if I am not mistaken I believe that Arkhan mentioned something regarding builder units from any races that would tend to have such a behavior and that not much could be done about it (or something like that). Could you please confirm Arkhan ? I think I've read that somewhere in a thread from earlier builds. I'll try to check for that myself. I just wanted to point out that it's still present in Beta 7 (if it matters to mention).

As mentioned, mostly noticeable at the specified moment in the first match. It happened at around 8:50 minutes into the game when the Necrons started to gather at their Relic to move south and attack me. Here, some screen shots.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I'm not sure though if the builders for the Tau and Orks did the same. I'll take a look, and report of they do.

#37 ArkhanTheBlack

ArkhanTheBlack

title available

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 08:49 AM

The Necron's Builder Scarabs followed some Necron Warriors, and stood in the middle of a battle as the NW's moved against my forces, so they (Builder Scarabs) were somewhat forced to be a part of it. At first glance I thought that the Scarabs just wanted to reach a certain destination, and that because the NW's were on their path that the Scarabs seemed to follow them. But it wasn't the case after I watched more carefully.

The Builder Scarabs deliberately followed them as if they wanted to repair them.

I'm shocked! :p Someone mistakes my support detector code for a bug... Starting to cry... :( . (Okay, not really)

No, honestly, the Necron scarab builders are quiet the multitalents in this race. Builder, capturers and detectors. If there are any infiltrated buildings or troops on the map, then Necrons will send one scarab builder as detector support for the attack or defense forces. So no problem at all :p . The SM do the same with skull probes.

Some more comments to your original report:

1.) Gathering problems
Actually the AI doesn't always 'gather' if you see them gathering troops at a specific point. Normally, if they gather them at their front post, they just wait there until they are strong enough to attack. They constantly compare their army strength with the one of their enemy and if they haven't reached a certain percentage of the enemys army strength they will just wait at a good defense position for them.
I've increased the unit strength of the Necron warriors and Lord a bit in the beta 8. This will give them some more 'courage' for attacks. This will also reduce their intense allied support a bit, since attacking forces only support if it's REALLY urgent!

2.) Hesitation between gathering, ally support and attack
The other races use the same code, so it's mainly a problem of the slow speed of the Necrons. Normally, they'd have the home teleport as compensation, but sadly this feature isn't supported by Relics AI core routines. I've seen quiet a lot of games which Necrons lost simply because they couldn't reach their home base fast enough to save their monolith from being destroyed. But maybe, Relic will add this feature in a patch. We'll see.

3.) The Broadsides used their entrench ability properly this time around
Excellent! :p

Nice report, like always...

#38 Zenoth

Zenoth

title available

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 10:58 AM

I'm shocked! :lol: Someone mistakes my support detector code for a bug... Starting to cry... :( . (Okay, not really)

No, honestly, the Necron scarab builders are quiet the multitalents in this race. Builder, capturers and detectors. If there are any infiltrated buildings or troops on the map, then Necrons will send one scarab builder as detector support for the attack or defense forces. So no problem at all :p . The SM do the same with skull probes.

Some more comments to your original report:

1.) Gathering problems
Actually the AI doesn't always 'gather' if you see them gathering troops at a specific point. Normally, if they gather them at their front post, they just wait there until they are strong enough to attack. They constantly compare their army strength with the one of their enemy and if they haven't reached a certain percentage of the enemys army strength they will just wait at a good defense position for them.
I've increased the unit strength of the Necron warriors and Lord a bit in the beta 8. This will give them some more 'courage' for attacks. This will also reduce their intense allied support a bit, since attacking forces only support if it's REALLY urgent!

2.) Hesitation between gathering, ally support and attack
The other races use the same code, so it's mainly a problem of the slow speed of the Necrons. Normally, they'd have the home teleport as compensation, but sadly this feature isn't supported by Relics AI core routines. I've seen quiet a lot of games which Necrons lost simply because they couldn't reach their home base fast enough to save their monolith from being destroyed. But maybe, Relic will add this feature in a patch. We'll see.

3.) The Broadsides used their entrench ability properly this time around
Excellent! :p

Nice report, like always...

Oh my God Arkhan I feel bad. :p

I'm sorry mate ! :p

See, the problem is I'm a very disgraceful Necron player (I mean, very). I don't know their strategies, I don't know how they play. The Builder Scarabs being detector units ... I didn't know (isn't the Wraith supposed to be one as well ?). When I started playing DC I immediately went for the Tau instead, meh. Same thing about their (Necrons) speed. I obviously didn't consider that in my tests, making me think they were confused, even though it was right there for me to notice right away (how they move slowly is so evident, it cries and yells at the player). Sometimes I wonder where is my brain.

All other races, including the Tau to a good extent, it's all okay, but the Necrons ... I have much to learn about them, so that I don't mistakingly see an actual feature for them that works properly as intended, as some bug or inconsistency in the codes. Argh ... :lol:

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users