Sync Errors while playing online...

83 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_übergeek_*

Guest_übergeek_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2006 - 05:24 AM

Well for some odd reason my friends and I are getting sync errors while trying to play online through Hamachi. They all have the latest patch and latest version of Hamachi. They all definitely have the mod turned on, and it happens on practically any map that one guy will get kicked from the game at random. Any ideas as to why this could be happening since the previous version have worked online? I realize this mod is mainly for skirmish play, but I figured I'd ask if there were sync errors during testing online, if you did any online testing.

#2 danuker

danuker
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 06:58 AM

Well for some odd reason my friends and I are getting sync errors while trying to play online through Hamachi. They all have the latest patch and latest version of Hamachi. They all definitely have the mod turned on, and it happens on practically any map that one guy will get kicked from the game at random. Any ideas as to why this could be happening since the previous version have worked online? I realize this mod is mainly for skirmish play, but I figured I'd ask if there were sync errors during testing online, if you did any online testing.

Oh dear. This doesn't sound too good.

How long does it take for the other player to get DCed?

#3 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 07:00 AM

It's possible that the SCAR AI donation code will cause this. Untick it in the game mode setup (winconditions) and try again. Please report.

#4 Guest_übergeek_*

Guest_übergeek_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2006 - 01:01 PM

It's possible that the SCAR AI donation code will cause this. Untick it in the game mode setup (winconditions) and try again. Please report.

Will do, I'll let them know and we'll give it a try tonight. Also to answer the question above, usually someone gets kicked within the first minute.

#5 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 01:36 PM

I'm not sure wether AI donation is enabled by default. Please check. If it is off by default (as the readme says) and you (as game host) didn't tick it the donation code was not running and is not responsible. Being kicked in the first minute is also is a hint that it is not the donation code as there are surely no donations by then.
Strange ...

#6 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts
  • Projects:DoW AI Scripting Project
  • Division:DoW
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 01 December 2006 - 02:34 PM

AI Donations is disabled by default. We'll have to see where the Network Synching errors are occuring and at what point. I actually have 2 machines in my lab I can test for this since they both can run DoW quite nicely (although the Conroe runs it MUCH better).
Advanced Skirmish AI Team Lead for the coolest Warhammer40k PC RTS out there:

Dawn of War Advanced AI Headquarters

Latest DoW Advanced AI Download!

#7 Guest_übergeek_*

Guest_übergeek_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2006 - 03:14 PM

I'm not sure whether AI donation is enabled by default. Please check. If it is off by default (as the readme says) and you (as game host) didn't tick it the donation code was not running and is not responsible. Being kicked in the first minute is also is a hint that it is not the donation code as there are surely no donations by then.
Strange ...

Actually my friend who is always the host was the host. He was turning the code on each time we tried. We tried doing 4 IG players against 4 Ork computers and we lost one man, the rest of us were able to finish the game. The second time 2 of us got kicked with assorted races, third it was Marines vs computer controlled Chaos and we lost two guys again.

Also when the people dropped because of sync errors, when we'd all leave that game it would crash and bring up the bug reporter.

#8 ArkhanTheBlack

ArkhanTheBlack

title available

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 03:59 PM

I think the sync problems are 'indirect' related to the AI. The game spreads the AI controlled players to the hosts of the human players. Each AI is refreshed every 1 - 2 seconds. During this refresh time, the computer is busy for a short time with the AI calculations and does probably not respond to server requests in this time. Although I used a lot of dirty tricks to speed up the AI performance since the WA AI 1.8 lag fest, it still sucks more performance than the vanilla AI. And I guess the multiplayer sync algos are very sensible to those performance hits (I don't think they use multi threading for that...).
I had similar problems in WA with my LAN partys, so I fear there's no simple bug fix possible for that. Though I think it helps a lot if the host computers are 'power houses'.

#9 Corsix

Corsix

Code Monkey

• Hosted
  • 290 posts
  • Projects:DoW AI, DoW Mod Studio
  •  Blue Text :)

Posted 01 December 2006 - 06:41 PM

Would it help to have the AI running in a seperate thread?
Posted Image

#10 ArkhanTheBlack

ArkhanTheBlack

title available

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 07:32 PM

Would it help to have the AI running in a seperate thread?

Yes, since the AI wouldn't cause a lag time anymore which blocks all other game interactions. But it's also more complicated since the game data might change during the AI calculations.

#11 Guest_übergeek_*

Guest_übergeek_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2006 - 10:42 PM

Ok more info. With the Donations turned off, 6 players, only 1 was a CPU, all using 1.11 across the latest version of Hamachi, we had 2 guys get sync error dropped at the exact same time within the first 30 seconds. We then tried the same map with the mod off and everything was fine. I'm stumped.

#12 danuker

danuker
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 01:09 AM

I held a pair of 2v2 games yesterday with AI donations off, unpatched with AI mod and the game ran fine to its conclusion. Both machines are relatively beefy though.

I see if I can get a low spec machine to reproduce this problem.

#13 Guest_übergeek_*

Guest_übergeek_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2006 - 02:10 AM

I held a pair of 2v2 games yesterday with AI donations off, unpatched with AI mod and the game ran fine to its conclusion. Both machines are relatively beefy though.

I see if I can get a low spec machine to reproduce this problem.

I wonder if it's the stupid subtitle patch causing all this strife. Possibly that or Hamachi if hardly anyone else is getting the persistent sync errors.

#14 danuker

danuker
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 10:55 AM

By the way, is it possible to set the AI to take over the local player in a LAN game? I tried using Cpu_ControlLocalPlayer() in a LAN game with cheats and - dev on but it doesn't work.

If it is possible, it would probably help in isolating what is the cause of the problem.

Edited by danuker, 02 December 2006 - 10:56 AM.

#15 Guest_2/Face_*

Guest_2/Face_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2006 - 11:06 AM

Hej i dunno if it's related but if you try to play replays with the AI mod installed it also gives 'random' sync errors while playing a replay. Sometimes it takes 10 seconds sometimes 5 minutes but you'll get one.

Once i uninstalled the mod the replays ran fine again. So i'll be uninstalling and reinstalling it allot the coming weeks :thumbsupsmiley:

Perhaps this helps? Still love the mod tho :p

#16 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 11:36 AM

Normal replays or mod replays ? If you get sync error with normal replays you can switch to vanilla DC with the ingame manager, quit and restart with th DC shortcut.

Edited by LarkinVB, 02 December 2006 - 11:41 AM.

#17 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2006 - 12:16 PM

Normal replays or mod replays ? If you get sync error with normal replays you can switch to vanilla DC with the ingame manager, quit and restart with th DC shortcut.

Hi, I can play mod replays (self played skirmishes etc) just fine with the AI mod. Thing is, i get a sync error if i play replays that where made in online games with vanilla DC. I try to play them like you say in DC vanilla cause the AI mod doesn't even see them (what is normal i believe).

So the problem in short:
Can't play normal online replays with DC vanilla (certein about this cause after you switch with the gamemanager you see the engine build in the upperleft corner after the restart) while the AI mod is installed. Perhaps this is sorta linked to the sync errors others get?

Could also be the new patch ofc, but everytime after i uninstalled the AI mod normal replays suddenly work ok again, while with the AI mod installed those same replays would give a sync error (while loaded with DC vanilla) within 6 minutes or so.

Hope this helps, off for another skirmish :thumbsupsmiley:

#18 Guest_2/Face_*

Guest_2/Face_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2006 - 12:17 PM

Oops that was me 2/Face forgot to put in my name :thumbsupsmiley:

#19 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 12:21 PM

Do as I told you and you can watch normal replays fine. This problem is due to Relics broken ingame modmanager.

Just switch ingame as you did, then quit and restart from DC vanilla shortcut.

#20 PhoenixHeart

PhoenixHeart
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 07:35 PM

My brother and I have been trying to do a LAN game as well, unpatched version, AI mod installed on the Havoc Edition Winter Gauntlet, and he keeps getting dropped within the first 30 seconds. Does this mean this mod is unplayable multiplayer? :)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users