Photo

Lets ask Relic to fix their biggest AI blunders !

14 replies to this topic

#1 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 09:49 PM

I would like to see a players petition started at RelicNews. The mod is gathering great support but some players (me included) are annoyed by AI sacrificing lots of squads due to bad path decisions. Here is the reason why : Relic did code an AI function which detects the threat on a path according to map layout. This function is broken and can cause crashes to desktop !!! Therefore Arkhan tried to code a fallback function but this is only capable to detect threats on straight lines. Since most maps have curved pathes from one location to another (LPs, virtual gathering points,...) this function is more than unreliable. It will lead to AI movements which pass through enemies as the AI does 'think' the path is safe. With this movements the AI is loosing LOTS of troops for nothing. The mod can't fix this, only Relic can !!!

I suggest to use the momentum we have now (lots of players think the AI mod is giving value to a game which is dead otherwise with vanilla AI (as they don't play online)) and do an online petition at RelicNews. Arkhan, can you post there with details and all fans of the AI mod do sign to give relic something to think about ?

Second blunder is that Relic did NOT code an AI interface to all abilities. Some vital unit abilities are so called extensions which are not usuable by the AI (mod or vanilla). Necrons can't teleport their warriors, squiggy can't rampage, the list is long ...

Oppinions ???

EDIT: I did post this problem to RelicNews bug section some month ago but to no avail. Seems we have to raise the pressure.

Edited by LarkinVB, 02 December 2006 - 12:07 AM.

#2 Malkor

Malkor

Eternity

• Members
  • 375 posts
  • Projects:Loladins of Legend.
  •  Inanely inane inanities!

Posted 01 December 2006 - 09:50 PM

That bug is probably responsible for a lot of the unusual behavior I see in my large FFA's, especially on Rhean Forest. I'd do anything to get it fixed, then my builds would be 100% perfect.

#3 ArkhanTheBlack

ArkhanTheBlack

title available

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 10:37 PM

I don't think they will investigate since they couldn't reproduce the crash with their AI.

But if a petition should be made then Thudo should be the one who makes it. Although I do most of the coding he's pretty much the face of the mod and will therefore probably be able to convince more people to give their vote.

#4 jureidinim

jureidinim
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 11:09 PM

Well you get my vote...

I think a lot of players would rally behind this. You guys have gone way beyond expectations on this AI mod - but to think that you are being held back from even greater things due to relic bugs isn't right.

As Arkhan said - let Thudo do the official post, give us a link and i'm sure we'll all pile onto it.

#5 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2006 - 12:00 AM

I suggest to use the momentum we have now (lots of players think the AI mod is giving value to a game which dead otherwise with vanilla AI as they don't play online) and do an online petition at RelicNews.

good idea....but relic are too busy making too much money....so good luck! :p

good job with the project by the way, just downloaded ai v2.00.

#6 danuker

danuker
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 01:07 AM

I would definitely support this initiative.

But Relic seems to be busy solving the balance issues right now, and I doubt they will be able to attend to the AI, but it is still worth a try!

#7 Zulgaines

Zulgaines
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 01:38 AM

Even if we can't get Relic to actually do anything, word of mouth is a powerful thing.

If enough people rally to the cause of spreading the word we could get a lot of people using the mod.

It wouldn't be the first time a game mod was near-standard from word-of-mouth.

#8 Zenoth

Zenoth

title available

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 02:33 AM

I would fully support such initiative Larkin. Good idea.

#9 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts
  • Projects:DoW AI Scripting Project
  • Division:DoW
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 02 December 2006 - 02:38 AM

And people..

Petitions are fine and all but DoW is regrettably "end of life" and they've likely started adapting a possible DoW2 to the CoH engine (which is the future). I seriously doubt they'll committ funds to updating the DoW AI. I wish they would and they should have done that with WA then a little more with DC.

However.. I have many contacts now in Relic and they know what we want but I could "prioritize" a list if you all wish. I have been contacting them about AI updates in possible DC patches so its not out of the question but expectations must be light at this time.
Advanced Skirmish AI Team Lead for the coolest Warhammer40k PC RTS out there:

Dawn of War Advanced AI Headquarters

Latest DoW Advanced AI Download!

#10 jureidinim

jureidinim
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 03:21 AM

Petitions are fine and all but DoW is regrettably "end of life" and they've likely started adapting a possible DoW2 to the CoH engine (which is the future). I seriously doubt they'll committ funds to updating the DoW AI. I wish they would and they should have done that with WA then a little more with DC.

Anyone who has seen COH i am sure would love to see DOW with that engine. We should still petition for the AI though - even if nothing is done with DOW:DC now, maybe such a petition would help to ensure that these problems are not there in DOW2.

#11 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 08:56 AM

I seriously doubt they'll committ funds to updating the DoW AI

They still do patches and it is a bug. A big bug.

#12 danuker

danuker
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 10:47 AM

I think a priority list of what urgently needs to be fixed is the best chance of actually getting them to work on the AI, just like the web poll they conducted a few weeks ago on the top 2 issues and top 2 balance issues.

#13 Quitch

Quitch
  • Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 04:35 PM

Just make the post and link, it's not exactly like it's going to swallow a lot of your time to do it, and most players have no idea these bugs exist they simply think the AI is stupid.

Basically, don't waste time second-guessing, just do it and see what happens. Why would Relic fix something no one complains about? Where's the demand?

Make the demand.

#14 razor436

razor436
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 05:28 PM

I would love to support the initiative if someone starts the petition.

Honestly, I doubt anything will be done about this bug.
From what I understand, this bugged AI function which detects the threat on a path according to map layout is currently not in use by anyone. The DC AI is "adequate" by Relic's standards. And the AI mod team did a superb job without even using the function.
So after Relc looked at these 3 facts, and that there are actually more important bugs out there that affect the combat (which affects multiplayer games), then they would decide to ingnore your pleas.

#15 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2006 - 05:56 PM

i think a thread for fixing this bug would be good
but if thud does not want to make it then
Maybe we should all make a suggestion in the suggestion box
you know like several pages of suggestions to fix this

or maybe someone should call buggo, i think she is the closest we can get to relic

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users