#21 Daz

Daz

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,654 posts
  •  Revora Co-Founder

Posted 04 December 2006 - 12:42 AM

Great, cheers.

Incase anyone else reads this, FlyBy is a true or false tag, not yes or no.

#22 MCV

MCV

title available

• Hosted
  • 737 posts
  • Projects:Uh... I'm writing a NGE/GitS/Lain/Snow Crash crossover fanfic?
  •  Decipherer of Paradox' legal talk.

Posted 04 December 2006 - 05:22 AM

Unless "FlyBy=" is coded wrong, it should accept both "yes/no" and "true/false"
Posted Image

#23 need my speed

need my speed

For Soviet people!

• Hosted
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 06:55 AM

I got TFD, and it works nicely, however, the first time I tired it, I still had the Mental Omega bugfix (expandmd98) lying in my folder, with interesting results. Are you sure you don't have anything like that?

That was it! Thanx! I've played the mod, and it rocks! ;)
Please, if you see a mistake in my posts - spelling, grammar, punctuation, or whatever else - point it out. How can one learn from mistakes, if one is not corrected?
There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

#24 Rattuskid

Rattuskid

I used to be somebody noteworthy... I think

• Members
  • 1,064 posts
  • Projects:Osmium (mostly dead), Immunizer (crib death) and Spritezkrieg (also crib death)
  •  Rattus Norvegicus (bitch)

Posted 05 December 2006 - 02:23 AM

I think DCoder confirmed any boolean tag in the game can either be 'true/false' or 'yes/no' since the values are converted to either 1or 0 before the game actually uses them.

Also, a strafing yak is all but impossible. The closest you can get is one that 'peppers' and area with multiple clusteres of flak-scattered piff-piffs, which moves forward by a few cells. See Blitzkrieg 1, or if need be I can provide working code for that method.

Edited by Rattuskid, 05 December 2006 - 02:30 AM.

Being a total douche.

#25 orald

orald
  • Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 06:32 AM

I think a spread attack for the Yak should be included(after all, in RA SA weapons do have some spread that they seem to have lost in RA2) unless it's satisfactory with other solutions.

I think there's a problem adapting everything from RA to RA2 considering that the engins are different.
Look at RA and how slow heli's are, SAMs are designed specifically against them and yet I've seen Longbows in this mod racing(much faster than Harriers) inside my base and starting their runs on my refinery while my SAM sites(about 10 in range) work hard to shoot them down. They actually seemed to move faster than my Migs I think, and I know Mig is almost double the speed in the rules. :blush:

Oh, and about the Migs, I've had problems with losing a few planes on a raid and building new ones, and when the returning Migs come to land their pads are "taken" by these new ones though there's enough room(they want to land in a specific square). I've managed to avoid that by waiting until all my planes are landed before buying new ones.

Pillboxes seemed ultra-tough, both in firepower and defence. Had some Mammuth tanks crunching an allied base and they have dificulties destroying pillboxes(could be because that my enemy was England with +armor?) while the pillboxes' SA fire damaged quite alot my tanks and I've lost a few for them. The turrets didn't prove to be such a problem though.

And about turrets, they hit infantry and kill them in 1-2 hits because in RA2 engin projectiles are much more accurate. In RA all cannons are very inaccurate against infantry or fast moving targets and miss alot(which is supposed to give infantry some advantage...only to be killed by being run over or machinegunned :p ).

#26 Daz

Daz

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,654 posts
  •  Revora Co-Founder

Posted 05 December 2006 - 12:59 PM

I've give the Yak a cellspread value for now, it needs tweaking though to get it the right size. Everything in RA has a spread value but it is a number with 1 being no spread (HollowPoint) and higher numbers being more spread (the highest is Fire with 8).
I'd left these out by oversight, I'll have a play with them.
Edit: The values in RA work by setting over how many pixels damage is halved (Ie, 2 would mean every two pixels the damage is halved). RA2 works by putting the distance that damage occurs in. I've put some sensible values in and I'll test them in a moment.

Actually MIG speed is only 4 more than a Longbow and 8 more than a Hind (in both RA and ICFRA).
AA Buildings seem to have different range calculation or something in RA2, I had the AA Gun set with a certain range and it never ever fired at anything because it was gone too quickly. I upped the AA gun but didn't do it for the SAM, I'll have a better look at it later.
When MIG building did you have a helipad? Having a helipad registers another 4 spaces available in the aircraft build queue even though MIGs won't dock on a helipad. I'm not aware of anything that can be done about this unfortunately.

Things do seem very fast in ICFRA, but the highest RA2 speed is higher than on RA. If you set speed to normal all becomes right again but you have to wait ages for stuff to build.

The pillbox thing might be something to do with a huge armour mistake i'd made when implementing the Radar Jammer, alot of building armours were wrong. Also remember that tanks use AP shells, an Artillery or a V2 makes short work of buildings. Also, the ICFRA Pillbox's strength is 500 whilst the RA variants are 400 and 600. That's also why the cost is 450 instead of 400. I'm making the two pillbox variants now.

Mammoths do seem to be more wussy than they should be sometimes, but the values are the same so I can't explain it.

Inaccuracy is something I forgot to add to alot of weapons, I think it works differently in RA2 though. Rather than being able to get out of the way because the projectile doesn't track, the weapon just misses completely in the first place which is frustrating if your tanks all miss the enemy tank.
The way around this of course is to clone the weapons so the tanks fire one at tanks and an almost identical one at infantry, and have the anti infantry one as inaccurate.
I'm going to have to play alot of RA and study how that behaves to try and replicate it.

Alot to think about there, cheers orald.

Edited by Daz, 05 December 2006 - 01:09 PM.

#27 Rattuskid

Rattuskid

• Members
  • 1,064 posts
  • Projects:Osmium (mostly dead), Immunizer (crib death) and Spritezkrieg (also crib death)

Posted 05 December 2006 - 11:56 PM

AA Buildings seem to have different range calculation or something in RA2, I had the AA Gun set with a certain range and it never ever fired at anything because it was gone too quickly. I upped the AA gun but didn't do it for the SAM, I'll have a better look at it later.

In RA1 all ranges were based upon flat cell distances from the object. Think like a big glass cylinder being put over the AA weapon with it in the center.

In RA2, all weapons ranges are actually definite distances from objects, like a string being extended. End result is like a big glass dome being placed around an AA weapon.

So naturally, the same values in RA1 for anti-aircraft weapons will be innadequate in RA2.
Being a total douche.

#28 Daz

Daz

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,654 posts
  •  Revora Co-Founder

Posted 06 December 2006 - 12:19 AM

That's what I thought, cheers.

#29 orald

orald
  • Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 01:00 AM

Didn't know about the RA2 spread calculation method, probably because I don't mod it(too lazy to start learning it all).

Yea I messed up about the Mig, thought it was speed=30 and not 20 like it is. I'll try playing in medium speed and not the one higher up.

Maybe look into TS values because the gameplay is slower and more like RA(though TOO slow somtimes), things like accelerations I think are mostly to blame(not sure though because I don't mod that much either).

Looking forward for a new and improved version. :)

Oh, and why bother with the MRJ, it sucks. ;)

#30 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  • Projects:Red-Resurrection
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 06 December 2006 - 03:29 PM

I achieved the Yak effect quite well in YRA by using the bomb logic. Just make the bombs invisible, so it looks as though it is firing a big line of bullets.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#31 Daz

Daz

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,654 posts
  •  Revora Co-Founder

Posted 06 December 2006 - 03:42 PM

That's an interesting idea, never thought of that. Will have to give it a try, cheers.

#32 Daz

Daz

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,654 posts
  •  Revora Co-Founder

Posted 06 December 2006 - 04:52 PM

I think the bomb logic Yak gun works pretty much perfectly.

Here's a sequence of a group of infantry after 1, 2, 3 and 4 yakatacks.
Posted Image

Thanks alot OmegaBolt.

(What on Earth made me spell that with an e... :))

Edited by Daz, 06 December 2006 - 05:48 PM.

#33 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  • Projects:Red-Resurrection
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 06 December 2006 - 05:26 PM

Its OmegaBolt, and no problem. :)

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#34 orald

orald
  • Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 03:27 AM

:p Maybe I'll yet live to see the mod that brings RA to RA2's engin...Before I heard of you guys on this beta release I was getting desperate the Derelict Studio guys would stop fiddeling with their Blitzkrieg and return to Chrono Device mod or what's its name is.

But...does it shoot the bomb a bit forward or like an orca Bomber? Because planes in RA are very easily destroyed and if it has to pass on top of a bazooka guy before killing him :) ...

#35 Daz

Daz

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,654 posts
  •  Revora Co-Founder

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:05 AM

Yeh unfortunately it is underneath, and it actually doesn't hit until slightly after the plane has passed.
I'm not sure if there's an offset that can be changed.

As was mentioned in the other topic I think I'm going to have to take a break from this from a while as I thing i'm developing an RSI/carpal tunnel and my wrist does hurt a fair bit. I don't want to aggravate it any more by using a PC too much.

#36 orald

orald
  • Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:24 PM

Work, slave, work! >:O *whiplash*

#37 Rattuskid

Rattuskid

• Members
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 03:32 AM

Yeh unfortunately it is underneath, and it actually doesn't hit until slightly after the plane has passed.
I'm not sure if there's an offset that can be changed.

No, it's part of the 'bomb' logic you use there. Also you should notice you can only ever get 5 'bursts' per run. Hardcoded crap sucks.
Being a total douche.

#38 leanmachine

leanmachine
  • New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 12:41 AM

This mod looks sick but maybe since its red alert for red alert 2 you could add some twists like allied aircrafts or some ships for the soviets, but this is only an idea (cuz RA takes place later after WW2 and im sure the allies had planes)

#39 Daz

Daz

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,654 posts
  •  Revora Co-Founder

Posted 14 December 2006 - 08:58 AM

And that would wreck the balancing that made Red Alert what it is.

#40 Moon Pine

Moon Pine

title available

• Project Team
  • 351 posts
  •  Zombie Summoner

Posted 14 December 2006 - 09:44 AM

Does the Beta updated??
Posted Image
Soon Moon`s Minions will overnumber the enemy!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users