Frequently Asked Questions

22 replies to this topic

#1 ArkhanTheBlack

ArkhanTheBlack

title available

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 11:14 AM

Okay since some people seem to have the same problems with the DC 2.0 version of the Dawn of Skirmish AI mod, it's probably a good thing to start an FAQ section to offer a quick solution to all common problems. :p

Updated: 02.01.2007

FAQ1: The ingame mod manager doesn't seem to work, although the mod installed correctly to the Dark Crusade folder. The Skirmish AI shortcut doesn't seem to work either and there's no AI version info shown at the main menu. What should I do?

Okay, seem like the replacement mod manager doesn't seem to work on your system.

Possible solution 1:
If you get an entry in DarkCrusadeDirectory\warnings.log : "Failed to load mod dll 'WXPMod_DCMod.dll' then it is possible that you are missing a file called msvcr71.dll. Download it here and copy into DarkCrusadeDirectory.

Possible solution 2:
Could be a write protected problem of the DC folder or maybe you don't have admin rights. But you can try to avoid the replacement mod manager and manipulate the two module files dowai.module and DXP2.module yourself.

a) DXP2.module
Add the following line to the bottom of the file:
RequiredMod.2 = dowai

b) dowai.module
Replace the line...
DllName = WXPMod_DCMod
with...
DllName = WXPMod
and delete the lines
RequiredMod.1 = DXP2
RequiredMod.2 = W40k
at the bottom of the file.

The mod should now always be active, even if you only use the DC shortcut to start the game. If you want to switch back to the default AI, you have to remove the 'RequiredMod.2 = dowai' line in the DXP2.module file.
Note: Although there's still no AI mod info shown at the main menu or the game manager, the mod SHOULD BE active!

FAQ2: The AI donations doesn't seem to work. What should I do?

The AI donations are by default deactivated (We didn't have a choice here...), and you have to activate it for the first time in the game modes section when you start a new game. (Just like Take and Hold, Assassination, etc.)

FAQ3: I can't find the AI control panel or the readme file. Where do I have to look?

In the Start -> Programs -> THQ -> Dawn of War Dark Crusade -> Dawn of Skirmish AI Project section of the windows start menu, you'll find links to the readme file and the AI config.

FAQ4: I don't understand the options in the AI config panel. Is there a description anywhere?

Yes! Just look at the readme file in the AI config panel section.

FAQ5: I get strange synchronisation errors when playing with my friends in a LAN party or online. A short duration after the start of the game, one or more of the players loose the connection and are dropped from the game.

When it comes to multiplayer synchronisation, DOW seems to react very sensitive to the increased performance hits of the AI mod. DOS AI 2.1 has some performance improvements, but if this is not enough then try to:

a) Activate AI Highspeed option in the game mode panel at the setup of a game

b) Deactivate AI Donations option in the game mode panel at the setup of a game

If you've still problems, it doesn't look too good. From experience there are two other things that could help to avoid or at least reduce the problem:

c) Switch the server host to another computer

d) Exclude low performance computers from the session

FAQ6: On some maps the AI seems to have a very strange behaviour. It attacks with single squads which don't seem to attack back and are hopeless sacrificed. (In other words: The AI really sucks in those situations)

Here's probably a Relic pathing problem involved. Most of those situations are caused, because the AI tries to capture a strategic/critical point and since the check routine for threats on path is bugged, the AI thinks the way is save and runs into the open arms of an enemy army.
It can also happen if the AI tries to retreat from an attack or tries to support a distant enemy. The AI doesn't offer a 'choose save path' command and in some situations this can get the AI in serious trouble.
Those problems can't be solved so easily. We try to find work arounds to compensate and/or avoid such situations, but our options are very limited here.
In general you should try to avoid maps and layouts which can cause this problems. It's not always easy, since it also depends on the personal play style.

FAQ7: The AI seem to be very sensitive to a turret rush. Is it possible to at least avoid his early attacks, so that he attacks at least with a bigger army?

Yes, switch off the harassing option in the AI config panel and set an attack delay of maybe 5 - 8 minutes. This should give the AI enough time to obtain enough forces to deal with a turret farm.

FAQ8: Does the mod also work in the campaign mode?

According to player feedback, it seems to work without any problems. Anyway, try this on your own risk, since it isn't the priority of this mod. Further you should keep in mind that the campaign balancing could be severly hurt by using the AI mod.

FAQ9: What are the resource boni and mali of the various difficulty levels?

Insane: 140%
Harder: 120%
Hard: 100%
Standard: 80%
Easy: 30%

FAQ10: Since I have the AI mod installed I get strange connection problems when I try to play the basic DC game online with other players.

In summary: In order to play online, at this point at least, you must deactivate the AI mod. Using the DOW game manager by itself is inefective. In actualiy, you must restart the game twice. Follow these steps exactly: Switch to normal DOW using the game manager, agree to the forced restart, exit the game, restart the game using the normal DOW DC exe. DO NOT use the AI skirmish exe.

We'll update the FAQ if there are any changes or new additions... :thumbsupsmiley:

Edited by ArkhanTheBlack, 02 January 2007 - 02:32 PM.

#2 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2006 - 01:21 PM

What is the Autoexec.lua code for doing AI vs AI testing?

I want to be able to quickly test a mod I'm working on for use with the AI Skirmish Mod. Want an AI faction to take the place of the human and want to be able to speed up the game so that I can see how it plays out really fast and try all the factions really fast. Iirc, it requires the -dev switch.

I have seen the AI vs AI autoexec.lua code around here somewhere, on this forum, and it seems like the right thing to include in the FAQ, because many of us keep asking for it, but can't ever seem to find it.

Oh, and here's the Autoexec.lua code for taking or making screen shots.

screenmode = 0
function toggle_screenmode()
if screenmode == 0 then
taskbar_hide()
message_hide()
screenmode = 1
else
taskbar_show()
message_show()
screenmode = 0
end
end
bind("shift+tab", "toggle_screenmode()")

A handy bit of code that. And, it doesn't require -dev to work.

#3 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts
  • Projects:DoW AI Scripting Project
  • Division:DoW
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 03 December 2006 - 04:57 PM

My autoexec.lua for the ultimate test:

run = Cpu_ControlLocalPlayer()
run = setsimrate(35)
run = FOW_RevealAll()

bind("F1","setsimrate(5)")
bind("F2","setsimrate(12)")
bind("F3","setsimrate(20)")
bind("F4","setsimrate(30)")
bind("F5","test()")
bind("F6","test1()")

function test()
local count=World_GetPlayerCount()
g_Player1=World_GetPlayerAt(0);
if count>1 then
g_Player2=World_GetPlayerAt(1);
World_EnablePlayerToPlayerFOW(g_Player1,g_Player2,0);
end
if count>2 then
g_Player3=World_GetPlayerAt(2);
World_EnablePlayerToPlayerFOW(g_Player1,g_Player3,0);
end
if count>3 then
g_Player4=World_GetPlayerAt(3);
World_EnablePlayerToPlayerFOW(g_Player1,g_Player4,0);
end
if count>4 then
g_Player5=World_GetPlayerAt(4);
World_EnablePlayerToPlayerFOW(g_Player1,g_Player5,0);
end
if count>5 then
g_Player6=World_GetPlayerAt(5);
World_EnablePlayerToPlayerFOW(g_Player1,g_Player6,0);
end
if count>6 then
g_Player7=World_GetPlayerAt(6);
World_EnablePlayerToPlayerFOW(g_Player1,g_Player7,0);
end
if count>7 then
g_Player8=World_GetPlayerAt(7);
World_EnablePlayerToPlayerFOW(g_Player1,g_Player8,0);
end

Player_SetResource(g_Player1,RT_Requisition,9999);
Player_SetResource(g_Player1,RT_Power,9999);
end

function test1()
local count=World_GetPlayerCount()
g_Player1=World_GetPlayerAt(0);
if count>1 then
g_Player2=World_GetPlayerAt(1);
World_EnablePlayerToPlayerFOW(g_Player1,g_Player2,0);
end
if count>2 then
g_Player3=World_GetPlayerAt(2);
World_EnablePlayerToPlayerFOW(g_Player1,g_Player3,0);
end
if count>3 then
g_Player4=World_GetPlayerAt(3);
World_EnablePlayerToPlayerFOW(g_Player1,g_Player4,0);
end
if count>4 then
g_Player5=World_GetPlayerAt(4);
World_EnablePlayerToPlayerFOW(g_Player1,g_Player5,0);
end
if count>5 then
g_Player6=World_GetPlayerAt(5);
World_EnablePlayerToPlayerFOW(g_Player1,g_Player6,0);
end
if count>6 then
g_Player7=World_GetPlayerAt(6);
World_EnablePlayerToPlayerFOW(g_Player1,g_Player7,0);
end
if count>7 then
g_Player8=World_GetPlayerAt(7);
World_EnablePlayerToPlayerFOW(g_Player1,g_Player8,0);
end

Player_SetResource(g_Player2,RT_Requisition,9999);
Player_SetResource(g_Player2,RT_Power,9999);
Player_SetResource(g_Player3,RT_Requisition,9999);
Player_SetResource(g_Player3,RT_Power,9999);
Player_SetResource(g_Player4,RT_Requisition,9999);
Player_SetResource(g_Player4,RT_Power,9999);
end

So essentially:

run = Cpu_ControlLocalPlayer()
Sets Player0, usually reserved for the human, as the AI

run = setsimrate(35)
Automatically sets game speed in super-turbo mode.. set that # to anything higher if you wish.

run = FOW_RevealAll()
Disabled FogOfWar immediately so the entire map is revealed!

bind("F1","setsimrate(5)")
bind("F2","setsimrate(12)")
bind("F3","setsimrate(20)")
bind("F4","setsimrate(30)")
bind("F5","test()")
bind("F6","test1()")

For above.. assigns F1-F4 for various game speeds as seen with "run = setsimrate(35)" from above.
F5 gives Player0 (now assigned for AI) 99999 req and 99999 power.
F6 does the same as F5 but for Player1.
Advanced Skirmish AI Team Lead for the coolest Warhammer40k PC RTS out there:

Dawn of War Advanced AI Headquarters

Latest DoW Advanced AI Download!

#4 Klementh

Klementh
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 08:41 PM

I've avoided sync errors in multiplayer by disabling AI donations.

EDIT: So............ Shouldn't it be added as a possible solution to the "FAQ5"?

Edited by Klementh, 04 December 2006 - 09:02 PM.

#5 arfa

arfa
  • New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 04:09 PM

Is it possible to change back and forth from AI to human control and not just only once?

And btw, thanks for a great mod!

#6 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 08:48 AM

Is it possible to change back and forth from AI to human control and not just only once?

No.

#7 Quitch

Quitch
  • Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 12:14 AM

"I don't have Dark Crusade, I have X. Where can I find links to a version of the AI that will work with X?"

#8 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 12:56 AM

dowfiles.com will have our older AI releases. v1.95 will work with WA 1.51 but we don't support it anymore. The future is DarkCrusade with v2.x and beyond. Get Dark Crusade - its BEYOND worth it!

#9 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 10:18 AM

A possible solution to FAQ1 :

If you get an entry in DarkCrusadeDirectory\warnings.log : "Failed to load mod dll 'WXPMod_DCMod.dll' then it is possible that you are missing a file called msvcr71.dll.

Download it here and copy into DarkCrusadeDirectory.

Edited by LarkinVB, 30 December 2006 - 10:20 AM.

#10 Quitch

Quitch
  • Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 06:37 PM

"Does DoWAI have any effect on my campaign in DoW, WA or DC?"

#11 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 07:24 PM

DC Campaign only.. surprised you didn't know as thats OLD news since Day 1 of the Advanced DC AI :p

#12 Quitch

Quitch
  • Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 03:15 PM

I know the answer to some of this stuff, but IMO it should be in the FAQ because it's not clearly documented in the AI. AFAIK, this AI mod will effect both the AI on the battlefield and on the strategic map, but there doesn't seem to be a document which says that.

#13 Serpentofshadow

Serpentofshadow
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 09:56 PM

A possible solution to FAQ1 :

If you get an entry in DarkCrusadeDirectory\warnings.log : "Failed to load mod dll 'WXPMod_DCMod.dll' then it is possible that you are missing a file called msvcr71.dll.

Download it here and copy into DarkCrusadeDirectory.

That made it work for me. I suggest adding it to the FAQ post above. Thank you! :blush:

#14 Maktaka

Maktaka
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 06:17 AM

A clarification on the missing DLL issue. The file should be put in your windows\system directory. Although putting it in your dark crusade directory does resolve the immediate issue of getting the DoS mod to work, putting in the system directory will give other programs that need the file access (Corsix's mod tools for one).

#15 Ildamos

Ildamos
  • New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 08:01 AM

Hello great mod! It has not failed to disappoint ever since WA.

One problem though:

I cannot seem to make replays from DoW Sanctuary anymore. I can watch my own but seeing that I am a total noob, my own replays are not so helpful.

How do I fix this?

Also, I think the opening and ingame cinematics have been disabled. While not so important, may I have a solution to fix the replay issue?

Thanks!

And again: great mod!!!!!! :thumbsupsmiley:

#16 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 05:47 PM

Update AGAIN!

- Fixed a serious heroes bug reported which allows easy cheating if you have an elite or legendary general and attach/detach units to squads resulting in multiple rank bonuses.
- Fixed bug which prevented attached units from loosing their XP if they get detached.

Find attached the file!

Installation Instructions:
===============
Unzip and Replace the "heroes_manager.scar" file in the scar\Heroes\core folder with the attached one

Attached Files

#17 Dariek

Dariek
  • New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 08:47 PM

Hello everybody

Congrats for your mod it's really cool!

however I got a problem, computer uses special abillities like the soulstorm or the IG detection ability without line of sight and always against me in a skirmish game, how can I fix it?

#18 Souccerve

Souccerve
  • New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 03:15 PM

You cant post polls any more. They were turned off because of too many useless ones, like all the "oo oo, what color chould I paint my car?" in the Xmod forum.

#19 Cylarne

Cylarne

Apocalyptic Daemon Herald

• Members
  • 204 posts
  • Projects:Ultimate Apocalypse; Daemons
  •  How dare you

Posted 05 August 2011 - 07:52 AM

Whoops, sorry I revived this old thread like two others. :p But I gotta reply and ask related questions.

No.

Em, actually, yes I THINK it is possible, I haven't really tested it yet, but in theory, (Which my theories are often correct in DOW standards) with the "Change Players" (by Evil Isador) wincondition, I'm sure we'll find ways. Just perhaps tweak it a little bit and walla, while we add this "Cpu_ControlLocalPlayer()" thing.

I have no FAQs to report, but I do got questions!

Update AGAIN!

- Fixed a serious heroes bug reported which allows easy cheating if you have an elite or legendary general and attach/detach units to squads resulting in multiple rank bonuses.
- Fixed bug which prevented attached units from loosing their XP if they get detached.

Is this old enough to ignore?

however I got a problem, computer uses special abillities like the soulstorm or the IG detection ability without line of sight and always against me in a skirmish game, how can I fix it?

I think that is one of the things that can't be resolved. I could be wrong.

Edited by Cylarne, 05 August 2011 - 07:53 AM.

That's what she said.

#20 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 12:15 PM

Em, actually, yes I THINK it is possible, I haven't really tested it yet, but in theory, (Which my theories are often correct in DOW standards) with the "Change Players" (by Evil Isador) wincondition, I'm sure we'll find ways. Just perhaps tweak it a little bit and walla, while we add this "Cpu_ControlLocalPlayer()" thing. I have no FAQs to report, but I do got questions!

Yes I heard of this and seen it in-game but its flakey.. AI can't simply dynamically take over from what a human previous did. It got.. confused.

Is this old enough to ignore?

Those weren't fixed?

I think that is one of the things that can't be resolved. I could be wrong.

Yes it was fixed. I have code for it.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users