Tau always winning?

22 replies to this topic

#21 ThetaOrion

ThetaOrion

title available

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 12:43 AM

Around here, there large groups of people who worshipped the idea of sticking to the 'Original Relic Winter Assault,' or staying with the Original Relic research tree, and so forth. I was definitely one of them. I got tired of mods that moved around all the research or started putting the kitchen sink into the Space Marines and IG while the rest of the races only got marginal treatment.

The Ultimate Compstomp rebalance mod is unique. It stays with the original Dark Crusade units, and it doesn't mess with the research tree at all. If you learn to play the plain vanilla Dark Crusade or the 2.1 AI Skirmish Mod, then you'll be right at home with the Ultimate Compstomp and the AI Skirmish Mod combination -- that's why I always preferred the AI Skirmish mod over DoWPro or even DoWXP, as long as the AI Skirmish Mod was balanced properly. I liked the AI Skirmish Mod alone, by itself, as long as it was properly balanced.

DoWXP adds new units and resizes them and messes with the original Relic, and messing with the original Relic stuff used to be taboo around here. DoWXP might even move around the research to accommodate all the new stuff. A lot more change is 'fair game' in DoWXP.

DoWPro messes with and rearranges the research tree, and is not the least bit familiar to someone who is versed or steeped in the Relic Original or the AI Skirmish Mod. And, DCPro isn't ready yet, as far as I know. And, DoWPro was a disappoitment in Skirmish Mode, because as Korbah told me, it was designed and meant for online human vs human play, and not the offline skirmish mode play that I was looking for.

Each one fills a niche or a need.

For those of us who were converted by Thud to cherish the idea of not messing with the Relic original units or the Relic research, like I was, the Ultimate Compstomp is a breath of fresh air -- a pure rebalance of the AI Skirmish Mod only, with no additional units and no switching around of the research tree.

If you are looking for a rebalance that doesn't mess with Relic's research tree and doesn't add new units and doesn't change the size of everything and stays true to the Relic Original just like the AI Skirmish Mod stays true to the Relic Original, then you are looking for the Ultimate Compstomp Rebalance Mod.

There's room enough for all three, and more. Each fills a specific need or desire, and each has its own unique purpose and audience. I just know that there are some people here, converted or determined to stay with the Relic DC Original as much as possible, and they will be right at home with the Ultimate Compstomp Rebalance if they give it a try.

Enough said.

Edited by ThetaOrion, 02 January 2007 - 12:44 AM.

#22 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts
  • Projects:DoW AI Scripting Project
  • Division:DoW
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 02 January 2007 - 03:10 AM

Good to hear.. balance mods like DoWXP or DowPro should be more than enough for your tastes to extend the Advanced AI ontop of newly rebalanced code which is what you always wanted so all good.

However..

And, DoWPro was a disappoitment in Skirmish Mode, because as Korbah told me, it was designed and meant for online human vs human play, and not the offline skirmish mode play that I was looking for.

Where the hell did that come from? You just smacked Larkin right across the cheek. Of course DoWPro's AI is fantastic as its another offshoot of ours but suited for DoWPro. Where are you getting this remote idea that its AI is inferior and that DoWPro is ONLY for online play? Thats complete and utter BS, sir. Larkin put ALOT of swet and passion into the DoWPro AI to ensure it was challenging for the DoWPro community. Of course nothing yet can take the place of a pro-playing human opponent but he worked his arse off to get his AI as competitive as possible.
Advanced Skirmish AI Team Lead for the coolest Warhammer40k PC RTS out there:

Dawn of War Advanced AI Headquarters

Latest DoW Advanced AI Download!

#23 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 07:34 AM

95% of DoWPro players liked the AI. Of course DoWPro was designed for balanced online human 1vs1. This did not stop lots of players to appreciate the AI. Except Theta of course ;)

Edited by LarkinVB, 02 January 2007 - 07:34 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users