•  Veteran

Posted 12 December 2006 - 09:28 PM

EDIT (10/01/07)
I'm changing this thread from
Nazgûls mixed BFME2 Q-thread...

to this... :p

----------------------------------

Hi all!

First - I'm sorry if I come across like a moron now, but I'm really new at this, so I dunnu if this question is legitimate, or just stupid? *lol* But I must give it a try... :grin:

I've allready asked the writer/coder in his own forum, but I don't want to bother him too much about something he's allready left behind... Plus this place seem to be loaded with great knowledge and skills from a great bunch of people :blink:

Question...
-----------

Is it possible to mod existing mods? The mod in question is one of the best out there according to me - BFME2.5 (which is cancelled now unfortionately). I LOVE it despite a few bugs (a few missing unit images of new units, and some corrupt unit names), but I still would like to trim it a bit. Easy stuff though, just health limits, recruit costs and such... And this is for personal use only. I won't take credit o try to steal something. I would just like to trim an almost perfect mod to suit me even better :p

I have FinalBIG, latest version and I've tried to alter stuff directly in Gamedata.ini, but the changes never take effect in the game? The mod is placed according to instructions in the C:directory (The game is on another partition) and the mod works - but none of my alterations?

Tom (the writer) said breifly to look for the Unit.inis, but does that mean I still can alter directly in FinalBIG, presuming I find the right lines. Most of the stuff seem to bee under Gamedata.ini? For ex: The Balrog health which I altered to 12000 from 4000, but the game still uses and states 4000?

I'm confused... help, please? :p

///Chris, big time BFME2-player, Sweden :p

Edited by Nazgûl, 01 June 2007 - 12:13 AM.

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
"Do not come between the Nazgûl and his mod!"
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I S.E.E. YOU! <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#2 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  • Projects:Revora, C&C:Online
  •  Thought Police
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 12 December 2006 - 09:43 PM

First off: Welcome to T3A :blink:

And there is no need to apologize. We really try to have an atmosphere that is newb-friendly, so you can just ask about any question, as long as it's not been asked a hundred times before (that annoys some people) :p

To your question: Yes, it is possible to mod mods, although this way depends on how the mod itself is set up. Either you have a new shortcut and a file or folder with the new stuff in a certain location. Or it modifies the files in the main game directory (bad thing).
So it seems that you use a new shortcut, right? Then the first step it to extract the files of that mod file you placed in C:\. You can now edit/add/remove files and in the end compress it back to a .big with the original name (or you can modify the shortcut, but the first one's easier for now).

Personally, I recommend learning how to mod the normal way, i.e. making your own little (testing) mod where you use the tutorials on the main site and learn step by step how to mod. Once you have done this, it should be easy to adjust that other mod to your likings.

Have a nice day,
Dark Lord of the Sith

P.S. (Referring to my avatar and member group:) We're not all crazy, I'm the Santa due to some administrative events on that board :grin:

EDIT: I just realised which Tom this creator is. He's still around here, so I'm quite sure he'll help you out if you have some specific questions.

Edited by Dark Lord of the Sith, 12 December 2006 - 09:51 PM.

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

Sieben Elefanten hatte Herr Dschin
Und da war dann noch der achte.
Sieben waren wild und der achte war zahm
Und der achte war's, der sie bewachte.

#3 Pixel

Pixel

• Hosted
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 09:58 PM

Welcome to T3A! :blink:

I have FinalBIG, latest version and I've tried to alter stuff directly in Gamedata.ini, but the changes never take effect in the game? The mod is placed according to instructions in the C:directory (The game is on another partition) and the mod works - but none of my alterations?

Bfme1/2/rotwk will not read a custom gamedata.ini ... You must rename it and place it inside the object folder usually this will work and run custom stuff. Like tom told you... You can edit the healths, costs, stats etc inside the actual unit inis.

#4 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  • Projects:BFME2 - Nazgûl's Special Extended Edition
  •  Veteran

Posted 13 December 2006 - 06:15 PM

Thanks.... I've tried several times now after getting instructions to:

go on to FinalBig and open up the ini for the mod, then go on edit and click Extract All, it will convert it into a folder called ini filled with all the sub files, make the changes you want. then go into my computer go into C: make a folder called Mod, copy and Paste the folder called ini, into the folder called Mod. then go on the new shortcut for bfme2, properties add -mod "C:/Mod/ini"

The result: Modding done, but game doesn't load the mod, but the unmodded 1.04... :ohmy:
I've also tried to resave everything that FinalBIG extracts (including the altered ini folder) into a new .big, and point to that, but no - then I get errors. I give up! (I've spent 48 hours on this, only this *lol*). I guess I'm not cut out for modding, not even "simple" stuff like this... :p

Thanks anyway!
Now new questions have risen, so I better start a new thread I guess... since they're about something more specific :p
And thanks for the greetings

Edited by Nazgûl, 13 December 2006 - 06:17 PM.

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#5 Pixel

Pixel

• Hosted
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 06:43 PM

Dude dont just give up. Every begginer modder will have problems at the start... ill let you in on a secret... i still have problems with things now :ohmy: I get errors that i sit and look and for days without finding an answer... only to send them to someone like lauri who solves it in 5seconds :p

The way i would recommend you edit the ini files would be:
1.Open final big.
2.Extract the ini to your desktop.
3.Make changes and reopen final big.
4.Add the directory Data and such.
5.Save the big file as YourMod.Big or something and place it in the bfme2 files inside application data.
6.Copy and paste your shortcut. Right click onit and at the END of the target line add - mod yourmodname.big
7.Save and run the shortcut.

Any errors you get you can post here on start your own Nazgûl's Question Thread or something.
The more information you tell us about the error... A screenshot or such will help us solve the problem.

Also.. The mod your trying to edit. Does it run on the patch you have for your game?

Edited by FlameGuard, 13 December 2006 - 06:44 PM.

#6 Joe

Joe

title available

• Project Team
  • 886 posts
  • Projects:Real Life

Posted 13 December 2006 - 06:57 PM

Problems as a newb to modding :-/
Don't even get me started.......
Don't give up trying to learn, start off with small stuff such as changing the cost of a gondor soldier, or the health of a unit and work you way up to putting new factions into the game
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 13 December 2006 - 07:11 PM

Hehe thanks... but I will never be able to work stuff out like adding new factions and such. I just tried to alter lifespan for the summoned Balrog to infinity (well death then), and some other minor adjustments in cost and health to other units. NO major modifications that is :ohmy:

The patch is 1.04 and is the latest patch that works with that mod. And also... I have the "Collector's Edition", but I guess that wont matter... or? :s

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#8 Joe

Joe

title available

• Project Team
  • 886 posts
  • Projects:Real Life

Posted 13 December 2006 - 07:15 PM

It should not cause any problems to it, and you will be able to do it, trust me I thought the exact same when I began modding
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  •  Thought Police
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 13 December 2006 - 07:16 PM

Hehe thanks... but I will never be able to work stuff out like adding new factions and such. I just tried to alter lifespan for the summoned Balrog to infinity (well death then), and some other minor adjustments in cost and health to other units. NO major modifications that is :ohmy:

Heh, that's what you think. I can tell you that if you sat down for three weeks, you'd have your new faction up and running perfectly (maybe not new models and skins, but added a bunch of units/buildings/heroes and even customized ones).

The patch is 1.04 and is the latest patch that works with that mod. And also... I have the "Collector's Edition", but I guess that wont matter... or? :s

Nope, shouldn't be a problem AFAIK. Your main problem is that you were modifying gamedata.ini, which does not work the way the mod is set up. You need to edit some things in the unit's files directly. As Tom said, I think.

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

#10 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 13 December 2006 - 07:57 PM

Guys, I REALLY appriciate you putting time into this! You must have better things to do...? But THANKS! U'r all great helpers too keep me motivated... :ohmy:

I'll try again... after I tried the other thing in my other thread (I'll try to refrain from starting too many threads though) *lol*
But the problem is that in gamedata.ini I find many things that I'm looking for with health and timers, and I can't find them anywhere else...
But thanks, I'll look some more...

OT: U see, in Sweden I manage a site with 20 000 users, and I know how difficult it is to find time to give service to all those that you wanna help with their questions... (Sorry for the off topic) :p

Edited by Nazgûl, 13 December 2006 - 07:59 PM.

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#11 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  •  Thought Police
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 13 December 2006 - 08:07 PM

That site must have some damn strict rules concerning behaviour... are all people there as friendly and polite as you? :ohmy:
Nah, seriously, you can lay back a bit, we are all polite with each other, but you're already that much superior to all other beginners with your behaviour, you don't need to act even better :p

Now to your problem: You must understand that gamedata.ini is a file with (apart from the main settings) all kinds of references to other files. That's been done for better balancing. Say, you have two units, in two different files. You give them both a certain health. Now it's more easier to manage those values if you have a reference to one central file, where you can adjust it easily and changes automatically apply.

Problem with the -mod command (that's what you add to the shortcut) is that changes of these references are not read. So, you can either search the whole ini folder for those "macros" and find your file, or get to know where the different units are stored. Units are objects, so you might want to check the object folder. In there you have them divided into factions: Good/Evil/Neutral/Civilian/... Just start to browse around, then you'll find the needed files too.

So, you found your file, and found the line where the value is referenced through a macro. You can now just enter a value you want instead of the macro and it will overwrite those old settings. There are more ways to do this, setting new macros. But for now, enter the values directly :p

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

#12 Fingulfin

Fingulfin

I Like Pi3. Do you?

• Hosted
  • 1,752 posts
  • Projects:Staying Alive.
  •  This place looks familiar. I can't remember why.

Posted 13 December 2006 - 08:26 PM

If you want the Balrog to live forever, just take out the lifetime update thing-a-ma-blobby. Welcome to T3A :ohmy:
Posted Image
--------------------------------------
"You look like a ghost of your former self..."

#13 General Otmin

General Otmin

Prince of Vampires

• Members
  • 353 posts
  • Projects:*Trinity Wars*
  •  Mapper/Modeler/Coder

Posted 13 December 2006 - 08:58 PM

That was the first thing I ever edited in the ini :ohmy:

PS - 300th post :p

Edited by General Otmin, 13 December 2006 - 08:58 PM.

Posted Image

Trinity Wars

92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature

#14 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 06:51 PM

permanent balrog, that has to be THE number one beginner mod :p

anyway, never give up. i was a total noob when i came here, and look what i can do now. do you think the world's best programmer could do that as a baby? ^_^

so welcome, have fun and good luck

by the way, not that you need it, but all new members should read this one:
http://forums.revora...showtopic=38372

Edited by 2playgames, 14 December 2006 - 06:51 PM.

bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#15 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 14 December 2006 - 08:05 PM

Yes, I totally agree! :p

I have read it, but you see... the thing I'm trying to do now (in the other thread I've started) is a question that arose after about 48 hours searching on the net, with no sleep *lol* In other words - There's no answer to that except that I know that Master of Gifts have made it before and it ended up as a code in BFME2.5 by Tom8778 (or is it 7887, heh). Anyway, naturally I always try to learn and do my self, but I'm actually an artist (classical, not CG) and programming skills for me is like math - WERY hard to learn ^_^

Indeed I have THE highest respect for people that are good at things, be whatever it may... But I also have a even higher respect for those who like most of you take your time to help and guide a newbie like me. This's cause I know (like stated above) how time consuming that could be. And quite francly, why should you bother, other than that it fells good to give someone else joy, if that person deserves it. My myself, I get around 10-15 emails a day from my 20 000 readers asking a lot of newbie questions in my business. I really don't have the time to answer them, but I do think it's actually great fun to take the time, for those that really appreciate it - like I do with your help. That said, my point is I really hope that those who feel like people like me are frustrating beggars and "cheap hitch hikers" on other peoples codes/solutions - I really hope you refrain from making an effort to help ;) It should be as fun to help as it is to receive and learn...

Geez, I better stop now before this gets to political :p

Back on topic - and this should go to all newbies like me: THERE'S SO MUCH EASIER TO MOD A MOD IF IT'S NOT A "SHORTCUT-BASED" MOD. The ones that end up in the original folder under "data" is MUCH easier to navigate and manage. I didn't even have to use FinalBIG, it works great with just Notepad!

PS, editing the Balrog as a first step is number 1 wish? Hehe naturally... It's just too darn weak in the EA version and it SO much fun to rock the world with this caracter, wouldn't you say? :p

Edited by Nazgûl, 14 December 2006 - 08:09 PM.

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#16 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 14 December 2006 - 08:56 PM

Back on topic - and this should go to all newbies like me: THERE'S SO MUCH EASIER TO MOD A MOD IF IT'S NOT A "SHORTCUT-BASED" MOD. The ones that end up in the original folder under "data" is MUCH easier to navigate and manage. I didn't even have to use FinalBIG, it works great with just Notepad!

we know that, but it's still best to do it via a shourtcut.... but still, I like them both :p

but remember, if you ever get big, and make a mod, don't release it that way...use the shourtcut way then ^_^

Edited by Lauri, 14 December 2006 - 08:57 PM.

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

#17 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  •  Thought Police
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 14 December 2006 - 10:24 PM

Actually you should use the shortcut method. Even if it's a bit more complicated than the other way in the beginning. Fact is that modyfing the main game files (so in the main directory) is always to be avoided. Besides, you almost can't release that without a badass installer. And with shortcuts you can play the unmodded games and as many mods as you want without moving any files, just use the specific shortcuts. It's your choice, but I think every experienced modder here wll tell you the same :p

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

#18 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 17 December 2006 - 04:33 PM

New question:

Where do I find the patch-info-thing/line in the menu under Options Settings?
I would like to put another name there... :)

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#19 Stealthsnake

Stealthsnake

Battles of Gondor mod leader

• Hosted
  • 976 posts
  • Projects:Battles of Gondor
  •  coder, skinner, mapper, graphics

Posted 17 December 2006 - 05:07 PM

lotr.str.

do a search for
// Version strings

then there will be 3 sets of strings.
Version:Format4
// context: TRANSLATE ONLY THE WORD Build. DO NOT MODIFY THE VARIABLES  
"%d.%02d.%d Build %d %c%c"
END

Version:Format3
// context: TRANSLATE ONLY THE WORD Version. DO NOT MODIFY THE VARIABLES  
"Version %d.%02d.%d"
END

Version:Format2
"Version %d.%02d"
END

simply overwrite whats it currently says. So for example,

Version:Format4
// context: TRANSLATE ONLY THE WORD Build. DO NOT MODIFY THE VARIABLES  
"Battles of Gondor Version 3.1"
END

Version:Format3
END

Version:Format2
END

Posted Image
Posted Image
a mod for rotwk, includes Harad, Rhun, Rohan and Southern Fiefdoms Factions, beta released, site/forums for the mod is here.

#20 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 17 December 2006 - 05:17 PM

Thanks so much Tom! And might I ad - you'r responsible for my new found interest in modding, cause of your cool BFME2.5 :blink:

Best of luck with BoG! :)

---
Next Q:
Is there a universal code for the RATE of fire from all arrow-towers? (Cause they all semm to be equal?) I'd like to get rid of the machine gun like rapid fire rate, and change it to a more realistic rate...

Edited by Nazgûl, 17 December 2006 - 05:23 PM.

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users