Help in Minas Tirith.

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Till_*

Guest_Till_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2006 - 01:13 PM

Hi,

i tryed the Minas Tirith 4 times and ist allways the same the amm.. towers ? (the siegemachienes) are overpowered. The orks can conquer the town to fast and i have to run outside with my units then they are doomed..

what is your strategy ??

#2 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 19 December 2006 - 01:26 PM

Minas Tirith is supposed to be extremely tough. My strategy was to get as many heroes, rangers and soldiers up to the citadel and build heroic statues and wells around it. From there I was able to defend myself from all the waves of Orcs untill the Rohirrim arrived, however they were absolutely useless against the huge masses of Orcs swarming around the gates. I just managed to get all the heroes through the chaos alive and joined them with my forces near the citadel. That way I held the forces of Mordor off untill Aragorn and the Army of the Dead arrived, and with them I wiped Mordor out.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#3 Elvenlord

Elvenlord

Polis Ranger

• Advisors
  • 3,838 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 19 December 2006 - 01:32 PM

You need lots of soldiers, a few knights would help too, archers with HA can survive longer then rangers
:thumbsupsmiley:

elvenlordbanner.jpg

#4 zimoo

zimoo

Ecthelion of the Fountain

• Project Team
  • 2,009 posts
  • Projects:Lurking until the off topic begins...
  •  Guardian of the Books

Posted 19 December 2006 - 01:32 PM

Upgrade your trebuchets with fire stones. They'll rip siege towers apart. I think about 1 orc (1 unit, not 1 horde) managed to get onto my walls via siege towers. Also upgrade your archers with fire arrows.

I was doing fine until Grond showed up. Despite the fact it was unkillable, my archers insisted on firing at it non-stop while they got torn down by orc archers :(.

I held the gate for a few minutes after it fell. Gandalf + Boromir + TG's in shield wall meant they couldn't yet conquer, although they did keep sending trolls onto my walls to attack archers :(

Once the Rohirrim came I linked them up with Gandalf and it was just a case of mopping up the forces, although Gandalf died when he decided to run right underneath a Mumak :thumbsupsmiley: . I won the battle before Aragorn came (first time I've done that, and this was at a higher difficulty level at normal). I think the later attack waves need to be made more powerful, with lots of easterlings/trolls to stop cavalry.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Playing games? Ah, you'll never be a good modder if you get involved in actually playing them!

#5 Ecthelion

Ecthelion
  • Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 10:21 AM

Stick all your archers on the second level. Ensure they have fire arrows, preferably rangers, and its easy.

#6 swan

swan
  • Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 08:26 PM

To win I just trained as many Gondor Archers as possible - they have a bonus against orcs and cost only 10 CP. I build several additional trebuches and put them on the wall - equipped with fire stones they were very effective. I build a lot of statues and wells, and some towers in the city, too.
I was defending wall almost without problems (Nazguls <:) ) until Grond's arrival. Then, I put several archer battalions on the second level, ordered all second level trebuches to bombard the gate and blocked it with Boromir, Gandalf, Tower Guards and Soldiers. I had a few Ranger's battalions with Faramir on the walls near the gate, so I've managed to kill Trolls (firstly they killed Boromir and all of TG's :( ) and held the gate with Knights, but orc archers killed loads of my archer and Rangers during this fight.
Once the Rohan arrived, I took as many archers as I could from the city and attacked Mumaks. Eowyn, Eomer, Haldir and Faramir were very usefull, too. Mumaks killed 5 or 6 battalions of Gondor Archers, some elite (7-8 level) Rohirrim Archer :umad: and plenty of normal Rohhirim battalions too, but Elves survived and pulled down camps.
I had to clear Minas Tirith out from orcs, because they forced into the city when I wasn't paying attention, but after killing Mumakils it was easy :p
But I lost a third of my Rohan army which I was babysittig through all Rohan campain :( And even more of Gondor forces. Just bloody battle. :ninja: Next time I'll place everything in the city and wait for Aragorn.

Edit: And I found Gondor Archers-Soldiers combo very usefull - Soldiers with heavy armour can survive fire and fight with orcs on the wall.

Gandalf died when he decided to run right underneath a Mumak

It was a miracle I delivered my Gandalf from death among the Easterlings. He's so fragile :(

Edited by swan, 20 December 2006 - 08:31 PM.

#7 zimoo

zimoo

• Project Team
  • 2,009 posts
  •  Guardian of the Books

Posted 20 December 2006 - 08:28 PM

Yeah I had already saved him from death once, but then I foolishy didn't control him for a while while I ordered the Rohan heroes to use their special attacks on the mumak, during which Gandalf rode up and positioned himself right underneath the Mumak's foot. So much for him being the wisest of the maiar <:)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Playing games? Ah, you'll never be a good modder if you get involved in actually playing them!

#8 Elvenlord

Elvenlord

Polis Ranger

• Advisors
  • 3,838 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 20 December 2006 - 10:18 PM

Yeah, don't go into minas tirith expecting to lose no one, it WON'T happen :p
Esp. Gondor, don't let them go out of the city, as they will be torn apart <:)

elvenlordbanner.jpg

#9 Olorin

Olorin

Mithrandir

• Members
  • 1,579 posts
  •  That wandering conjuror...

Posted 21 December 2006 - 03:01 AM

I haven't even got up to Minas Tirith and already you're all scaring me. <:) Nah, I'm up for the challenge.
Posted Image

...The Journey doesn't end here; death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass. And then you see it. White shores...and beyond. A far green country, under a swift sunrise...

...Many folk like to know beforehand what is to be set on the table; but those who have laboured to prepare the feast like to keep their secret; for wonder makes the words of praise louder...

...Stand, Men of the West! Stand and wait! This is the hour of doom... ~ Gandalf the White, The Return of the King

#10 Elvenlord

Elvenlord

Polis Ranger

• Advisors
  • 3,838 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 21 December 2006 - 04:11 AM

Just don't panic and don't be afraid to lose men, you will <:)
If you lose a batt or 10 it is not the end of the world............unless that was all you had :p
Then the world has come to an end :ninja:

elvenlordbanner.jpg

#11 Olorin

Olorin

Mithrandir

• Members
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 08:36 AM

Yeah well I like my armies and want to keep as much as I can of them after every battle, so that might be a problem.
Posted Image

...The Journey doesn't end here; death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass. And then you see it. White shores...and beyond. A far green country, under a swift sunrise...

...Many folk like to know beforehand what is to be set on the table; but those who have laboured to prepare the feast like to keep their secret; for wonder makes the words of praise louder...

...Stand, Men of the West! Stand and wait! This is the hour of doom... ~ Gandalf the White, The Return of the King

#12 Ecthelion

Ecthelion
  • Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 10:14 AM

You're all making it out as hard :( Its EASY! Just stick men on second level <:)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Try it!!!

#13 swan

swan
  • Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 01:16 PM

I did it and they dealt Mordor lot of casualties, but now I think it's better to block the gate with TG's, later with Elves, put Rohan army on the wall and wait for Aragorn. It's easier and with few losses you can win the battle.

#14 Elvenlord

Elvenlord

Polis Ranger

• Advisors
  • 3,838 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 21 December 2006 - 08:59 PM

What diffculty where you on Ecth?( mind if I call you that?)
I was on hard, so..........

elvenlordbanner.jpg

#15 zimoo

zimoo

• Project Team
  • 2,009 posts
  •  Guardian of the Books

Posted 21 December 2006 - 09:08 PM

Some of us don't like to abandon the 1st level so easily, nor take the cowards way out <^_^
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 N19HtmAr3

N19HtmAr3

title available

• Project Team
  • 553 posts
  • Projects:Kicking ass...
  •  "who's that guy, anyways?"

Posted 21 December 2006 - 10:27 PM

Well... I had a really tough time last time I played it... (difficulty: hard... in case anyone should wonder and/or care)

I must have done something terribly wrong... No idea what though, 'cause I never have any problems otherways... But I held the first wall for quite some time, and then grond came and I got totally overrun... I barricaded myself at the top level with towers, wells, hero statues and all of my units and heroes...

I held them there for ages... But they just kept coming, and slowly they weakened my units... (Gandalf ran into some troll somewhere when I looked another way... And then it was too late...)

Then Rohan arrived... And all except the elves got mashed within a few secs... And all the freakin' trolls of mordor blocked the gate, so I couldn't get any of the heroes or units up to help my ever decreasing group of gondor units...

Time went by, and I had to abandon everything and just run for the hell of it and try to survive as long as possible... All my heroes got chased all around Minas Tirith, and by the time that Aragorn arrived I had Hama, Pippin, Boromir and Faramir, all with less than half of their lives left, was boxed up in a corner...

Well, the Oathbreakers did a quick run around the city and all the sudden it was free of orcs... And uhm... I won... But that was the closest I've ever come to losing at Minas Tirith, ever...

<^_^

#17 zimoo

zimoo

• Project Team
  • 2,009 posts
  •  Guardian of the Books

Posted 21 December 2006 - 11:04 PM

Hmm, don't abandon the 1st level so easily would be my advice. The rohirrim cannot take the field by themselves, so you need to join the hosts up. Make a lot of statues/wells/towers by the gate, and continualy pump out (and upgrade) troops until the Rohirrim come.

Peregrin Took showed his valour in my battle. Out of all the things I had guarding the gate (Rangers, archers, TGs, Faramir, Gandalf and Boromir), only Pippin stood his ground <^_^
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#18 Elvenlord

Elvenlord

Polis Ranger

• Advisors
  • 3,838 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 21 December 2006 - 11:35 PM

I never had to retreat to the second level, I was able to hold the gate until the rohirrim came <^_^
of course they all died but the elves and the remaining gondor troops, but I won without retreating to the second level ;) :unsure:
I build mostly gondor archers and soldiers, they do more damage to orcs and take less damage from them, with a few knights, tower guards, and rangers, but mostly those two( and you can build more of them :sleep: )

elvenlordbanner.jpg

#19 zimoo

zimoo

• Project Team
  • 2,009 posts
  •  Guardian of the Books

Posted 22 December 2006 - 01:17 AM

Yeah I only built archers in this mission, although I started off with like 400CP worth of rangers from Faramir's Ithilien army (I was going for realism).
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#20 Olorin

Olorin

Mithrandir

• Members
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 05:08 AM

How is it that only Pippin stood his ground out of all those trained soldiers? <^_^
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users