Confirmed New Units

• Please log in to reply
826 replies to this topic

#81 raptor

raptor
  • New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 03:46 AM

Suggestion for some of Rohan's cavalry: they can throw their spears at a group of enemies, which are highly damaging (passing through shields and armor, and possibly into the second rank; though maybe not capable of breaking Gaolers’ shields). After spears are thrown, they draw their swords/axes (maybe do slightly less melee damage for a time) until a timer gives them the throw spear ability again. It shouldn't be too powerful or too quick to recharge (lest the player use it all the time), but a way to soften sometimes with a solid wall of pikesmen/bowmen. Rohan’s spears were made for throwing. Just my brainstorm (and my first post!) :thumbsupsmiley:

By the way, I’ve been watching this game for a while now, and I have to say that out of all the games developing, this is the one I’m most excited about. :p

#82 Olorin

Olorin

Mithrandir

• Members
  • 1,579 posts
  •  That wandering conjuror...

Posted 25 January 2007 - 03:53 AM

Giving them a spear throw would indeed be possible and cool as well (I was thinking about it myself), but not sure about it. I mean, it wouldn't suit the unit, seeing how the Rohirrim are a primary cavalry (primary-type unit having that power :thumbsupsmiley:), nor do I picture the Royal Guards chucking spears at enemies. It's a nice suggestion though. :p
Posted Image

...The Journey doesn't end here; death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass. And then you see it. White shores...and beyond. A far green country, under a swift sunrise...

...Many folk like to know beforehand what is to be set on the table; but those who have laboured to prepare the feast like to keep their secret; for wonder makes the words of praise louder...

...Stand, Men of the West! Stand and wait! This is the hour of doom... ~ Gandalf the White, The Return of the King

#83 Celeglin

Celeglin

Silhouette of a Serenade

• Hosted
  • 2,468 posts
  • Projects:The Elven Alliance, Rhovanion Alliance
  •  T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 25 January 2007 - 07:12 AM

nor do I picture the Royal Guards chucking spears at enemies.

Oh really? Hmm...

Posted Image
Posted Image

#84 Olorin

Olorin

Mithrandir

• Members
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 07:33 AM

Well, there more so ceremonial than the other riders. I just picture them fighting with spears, swords and bows, not hurling them at an enemy.
Posted Image

...The Journey doesn't end here; death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass. And then you see it. White shores...and beyond. A far green country, under a swift sunrise...

...Many folk like to know beforehand what is to be set on the table; but those who have laboured to prepare the feast like to keep their secret; for wonder makes the words of praise louder...

...Stand, Men of the West! Stand and wait! This is the hour of doom... ~ Gandalf the White, The Return of the King

#85 Alsch

Alsch

title available

• Project Team
  • 392 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 10:31 PM

Suggestion for some of Rohan's cavalry: they can throw their spears at a group of enemies, which are highly damaging (passing through shields and armor, and possibly into the second rank; though maybe not capable of breaking Gaolers’ shields). After spears are thrown, they draw their swords/axes (maybe do slightly less melee damage for a time) until a timer gives them the throw spear ability again. It shouldn't be too powerful or too quick to recharge (lest the player use it all the time), but a way to soften sometimes with a solid wall of pikesmen/bowmen. Rohan’s spears were made for throwing. Just my brainstorm (and my first post!) :thumbsupsmiley:

By the way, I’ve been watching this game for a while now, and I have to say that out of all the games developing, this is the one I’m most excited about. ^_^

Them throwing spears is very possible, but it being a recharging power, rather than a toggle-from-melee is a no-no.
92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature

No, Jimmy Page is god.

#86 Celeglin

Celeglin

Silhouette of a Serenade

• Hosted
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 01:31 AM

Them throwing spears is very possible, but it being a recharging power, rather than a toggle-from-melee is a no-no.

Wait, which are you saying is a no-no?

Posted Image
Posted Image

#87 Alsch

Alsch

title available

• Project Team
  • 392 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 03:02 AM

It being a recharging power is a no-no. I like a toggle much better.
92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature

No, Jimmy Page is god.

#88 Nertea

Nertea

...lo sa raptor!

• Hosted
  • 3,349 posts
  • Projects:Star Villains and Space heroes, The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:BFME/Unity

Posted 26 January 2007 - 07:25 AM

Sadly, I don't. I still haven't found a way to justify an infinite stream of throwing spears.

sig.png
I really don't do requests and my Arnor Soldier is not fit for BFME. Don't ask me for either.

#89 Celeglin

Celeglin

Silhouette of a Serenade

• Hosted
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 10:54 AM

Agreed.... (with Nertea)

Posted Image
Posted Image

#90 Olorin

Olorin

Mithrandir

• Members
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 10:57 AM

I like it better as a power, but in the case of Riders being able to use it, you would have to balance it out by giving them a 3 minute or so recharge. Not suggesting for it to be put in, though.
Posted Image

#91 messenger

messenger
  • Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 04:17 PM

Is it possible to ride and throw spears on BFME?

Edited by messenger, 26 January 2007 - 04:17 PM.

#92 zimoo

zimoo

Ecthelion of the Fountain

• Project Team
  • 2,009 posts
  • Projects:Lurking until the off topic begins...
  •  Guardian of the Books

Posted 26 January 2007 - 04:23 PM

Eomer and Eowyn both do it.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Playing games? Ah, you'll never be a good modder if you get involved in actually playing them!

#93 Alsch

Alsch

title available

• Project Team
  • 392 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 06:40 PM

Sadly, I don't. I still haven't found a way to justify an infinite stream of throwing spears.

Well that's kind of like saying you can't justify an infinite stream of arrows in archers' quivers.

But, then again, you're boss.

Edited by Alsch, 26 January 2007 - 06:41 PM.

No, Jimmy Page is god.

#94 Nertea

Nertea

...lo sa raptor!

• Hosted
  • 3,349 posts
  • Projects:Star Villains and Space heroes, The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:BFME/Unity

Posted 26 January 2007 - 09:02 PM

It's all to do with the magnitude of difference. Let's say an archer carries 40 arrows in his quiver. Considering that dedicated javelin throwing troops carry maybe 5 javelins, and heavy throwing spears in the rohirrim style are much larger than those... I can justify a replenishment of relatively small, common objects. but I can't justify the replacement of very large unwieldy objects.

sig.png
I really don't do requests and my Arnor Soldier is not fit for BFME. Don't ask me for either.

#95 messenger

messenger
  • Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 09:18 PM

Eomer and Eowyn both do it.

I mena while they are riding at the enemy, so they can throw on the charge and not lose any momentum.

#96 Alsch

Alsch

title available

• Project Team
  • 392 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 10:48 PM

No. They stop to throw their spears.

No, Jimmy Page is god.

#97 Olorin

Olorin

Mithrandir

• Members
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 12:21 AM

No. They stop to throw their spears.

Quoted for the truth. :lol:
Posted Image

#98 messenger

messenger
  • Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 11:56 AM

Ah ok, that's ok I suppose. So when you use this Lance and Sword combo for cavalry, will the animation be fluid or will they suddenly appear in their hands like on Rome Total War?

#99 m@tt

m@tt

#######

• Project Team
  • 4,056 posts
  • Projects:The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 27 January 2007 - 12:27 PM

I would imagine fluid, which Cel has done for TEA so it shouldnt be beyond the staff.
Posted Image

#100 Celeglin

Celeglin

Silhouette of a Serenade

• Hosted
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 02:29 PM

I would imagine fluid, which Cel has done for TEA so it shouldnt be beyond the staff.

No I haven't..

Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users