Photo

Dawn of Skirmish 2.2 progress and breaktroughs...

29 replies to this topic

#1 ArkhanTheBlack

ArkhanTheBlack

title available

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 03:51 PM

Okay, first a happy new year to everyone. I'm back from my christmas holidays for half a week now, and although I wasn't very active in the forums, I made some serious progress with the upcoming 2.2 release of the mod.

By reworking the captureplans and spreading the AI refresh cycles to different times, I was able to get a massive performance increase, especially in games with lots of AI's involved. For the majority of players, performance problems with the AI mod should be history. I'm carefull with predictions about the infamous multiplayer sync problems, but the chances are extremly good that those are solved too, at least with the highspeed AI option.

With some help of Thuds nice AI 2.1 problems list, I was able to solve most of the reported bugs and issues like missing ork boss researches, late IG basilisks, risky Tau Kroot/Warriors double barracks build, etc.

Further, thanks to Corsix exceptional hacking skills, I was able to make a major breakthrough. I'm very proud to announce that IG troops are now able to bunker their troops by using SCAR code in the AI scripts. :p

My next goal is to get transports working. SCAR offers all necessary commands, so I'm very positive about that, but it's probably more complicated to get the AI to use it intelligent.

#2 Quietdeath

Quietdeath
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 06:15 PM

I would like to ask why the highspeed AI option is off by default. Are there any negative drawbacks? If not, wouldn't it be better if it is on by default or that there isn't a possibilty to alter it?

Regards,
Q.D.

#3 michael:StE

michael:StE
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 06:33 PM

IG troops are now able to bunker their troops by using SCAR code in the AI scripts. :p

That's just excellent. Well done. :p

#4 Quitch

Quitch
  • Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 11:14 PM

I would like to ask why the highspeed AI option is off by default. Are there any negative drawbacks? If not, wouldn't it be better if it is on by default or that there isn't a possibilty to alter it?

Regards,
Q.D.

It simplifies certain AI calculations, so basically, the AI isn't as smart with it on.

#5 danuker

danuker
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 12:50 PM

Excellent update in the work guys.

Keep up the good job!

I'm looking to IG taking cover in bunkers instead of getting slaughtered in the open.

#6 Markoso

Markoso
  • Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 04:04 PM

I'm glad breakthroughs like this are still being made. Makes me nostalgiac for the days when I was testing for the project. Kudos, and GL with future improvements.

#7 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 08:40 PM

Great progress Arkhan ! I knew you could do much better than me when you stepped in to do the AI.

#8 Tovarich

Tovarich
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 09:19 PM

My next goal is to get transports working. SCAR offers all necessary commands, so I'm very positive about that, but it's probably more complicated to get the AI to use it intelligent.

Excellent ! :D

#9 Serpentofshadow

Serpentofshadow
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 09:30 PM

Okay, first a happy new year to everyone. I'm back from my christmas holidays for half a week now, and although I wasn't very active in the forums, I made some serious progress with the upcoming 2.2 release of the mod.

Very exciting news. I have been playing with 2-3 other people regularly against the AI and I know my friends will be glad to hear about the accomplishments you have achieved. Looking forward to the update. :D

#10 Maktaka

Maktaka
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 05:39 AM

Fantastic work there. Better performance, (maybe) no more sync issues, and IG BUNKERING. Most awesome.

#11 ArkhanTheBlack

ArkhanTheBlack

title available

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 09:42 AM

Great progress Arkhan ! I knew you could do much better than me when you stepped in to do the AI.

Well I would never have joined if it wasn't for the great work you had already done for the vanilla DOW version. :p
Don't underestimate yourself! Your help in WA and your latest SCAR donation code achievments were very important. The SCAR support in the AI was pretty much Corsix achievement, but the inspiration for it came from you.

#12 Zenoth

Zenoth

title available

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 03:20 AM

That's awesome Arkhan ! :)

And thanks to Corsix as well ! In fact thanks to all of you A.I gurus ;)

#13 jureidinim

jureidinim
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 05:58 PM

Further, thanks to Corsix exceptional hacking skills, I was able to make a major breakthrough. I'm very proud to announce that IG troops are now able to bunker their troops by using SCAR code in the AI scripts. :p

Wow.. I haven't played AS IG since WA campaign, so I actually forgot the IG could even do this ... lol

Great news.

Really looking forward to the next update!

#14 ThetaOrion

ThetaOrion

title available

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 01:24 AM

I have started to finally noticed that the Chaos AI does NOT build secondary bases reliably. Once I destroy their main base, they seem to be gone for good. The other AI factions make an effort most of the time to go someplace else to build a secondary base and put down a stronghold, but the Chaos AI doesn't seem to be doing it in 2.1. So, maybe that's something you guys could look into for 2.2?

I'm not as sure, but I don't seem to see as many secondary Space Marine strongholds either, in other bases that is, and when I have knocked out their primary base and the two strongholds they have there, they too are gone rather early.

Maybe it's just a matter of making sure that the SM and Chaos actually go someplace else to build their secondary stronghold, or their third stronghold? Of course, for it to be effective on the large maps, they really need to go early, which means that they should be building their 'second stronghold' in another base, and then the third one won't matter as much where it goes.

#15 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts
  • Projects:DoW AI Scripting Project
  • Division:DoW
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 12 January 2007 - 02:29 PM

Theta.. the code for both SM/CSM regarding building of secondary HQs or other unit-producing buildings is EXACTLY the same for all factions. I have no idea what yer talking about d00d. I've always seen all our factions build secondary bases and/or build other buildings on distant LPs. Then.. when the main base is overthrown.. the builders go to another LP and continue the building.

Again... try those SAME maps you played where the SM/CSM AI did not preform as you expected but this time play against a different faction. Did those factions do what you expected? You'll find not. Its probably map-related + you really have to test multiple maps and watch a pattern. Don't expect the AI to build secondaries due to cash constraints. You wear the AI down then expect him not to spend on luxuries like extra buildings. Its just plain logic.
Advanced Skirmish AI Team Lead for the coolest Warhammer40k PC RTS out there:

Dawn of War Advanced AI Headquarters

Latest DoW Advanced AI Download!

#16 Kromus69

Kromus69
  • New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 10:17 PM

Hello, I use your mod every time I play.... it is Awsome, my ONLY complaint is that when I use the mod manager to switch back to Vanilla to watch a REPLAY it has a SYNC problem.... ( replays for Vanilla that are from Game Replays)

THE ONLY soultion is for me to Repair the Install, as you can Imagine, over the course of a week I have to do this mabey 10 times......

Would it be possible to fix this?... I know its not a major problem for most people but I feel that it would add more finnesse to your incredible Mod. I am aware that the Mod Manager is Broken.

Thanks for all your Hard Work and I really appreciate your MOD, I don't play online so you have an Incredible impact on my playing.

Just thought I would mention this Issue and Bring it to your Attention....

Kromus69

#17 Malkor

Malkor

Eternity

• Members
  • 375 posts
  • Projects:Loladins of Legend.
  •  Inanely inane inanities!

Posted 12 January 2007 - 11:07 PM

IG can bunker now? Maybe I'll get back to work on my insane builds, although very soon I'll be busy nonstop for quite some time.

#18 Corsix

Corsix

Code Monkey

• Hosted
  • 290 posts
  • Projects:DoW AI, DoW Mod Studio
  •  Blue Text :)

Posted 12 January 2007 - 11:17 PM

Remember the one downside to using SCAR - can be notorious for causing SYNC errors in MP games (even SCAR called directly from the AI). Apart from that, glad you were able to make something from the SCAR haxx.
Posted Image

#19 ThetaOrion

ThetaOrion

title available

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 02:25 PM

Theta.. the code for both SM/CSM regarding building of secondary HQs or other unit-producing buildings is EXACTLY the same for all factions. I have no idea what yer talking about d00d. I've always seen all our factions build secondary bases and/or build other buildings on distant LPs. Then.. when the main base is overthrown.. the builders go to another LP and continue the building.

Again... try those SAME maps you played where the SM/CSM AI did not preform as you expected but this time play against a different faction. Did those factions do what you expected? You'll find not. Its probably map-related + you really have to test multiple maps and watch a pattern. Don't expect the AI to build secondaries due to cash constraints. You wear the AI down then expect him not to spend on luxuries like extra buildings. Its just plain logic.

--

Dood, it's the same old tired argument you tried to foist on me a year ago!

1) The Necrons ain't anything like the SM or CSM!! Those little beggers show up in my base or in an AI ally base all the time building a second or third monolith or stealing a slag deposit!! Nobody else like them! If they have the same code, then their code is acting completely different!!

2) The Tau were building secondary bases in DC Plain Vanilla, and they still build the most elaborate secondary bases in other people's bases in the AI Mod as well. You kill their stronghold, and the Tau don't die, because you end up finding secondary command centers all over the place down the line on the large maps.

3) Lots of different starting positions and large maps. Again, the AI reveals itself best on the large 8 player maps where the AI has time to show its full repertoire. You gotta see Tier 4 regularly, which you don't get to see on Mountain Trails. Only on large 8 player maps do you get to see the full pattern from start to finish, consistently and regularly, and for a prolonged period of time up to an hour or more. The more time you have, the more time you get to see the AI do its thing. Just plain logic there.

4) I have seen the IG come over and build a command center, or go somewhere else and build another one. I have seen the Orks come all the time and drop down their huge behemoth right in the middle of my base, and mess up the pathing and block the exitways. The Orks are doing it!

5) Now, I do know that the Eldar and SM build secondary strongholds, if they last long enough. Alas, I'm mostly seeing the SM strongholds being built right next to each other. It's as if the SM servitors refuse to leave their place of origin and go someplace else. Those guys don't wander anything like the Necron scarab builders, for example. If it's the same code, it's doing completely differnent things. And, I must say, I really haven't paid much attention to what the Eldar are doing because the Eldar AI is always the first to die, and it's just logical that I wouldn't get to see them do their thing on a regular basis, so I can't really say one way or the other with the Eldar, unlike the others.

6) Over and over again, in the games I play, the Chaos are often in the most fortuitous position, and they have some huge honking bases and tons of resources, yet they never seem to build outside of their base, nothing but some listening posts that they capture elsewhere. I don't see them putting down another Stronghold anywhere, and I certainly don't run into any secondary Chaos Strongholds as I'm working my way down the line to their base which is often last on the list to wipe out. Maybe their builders die too easily trying to get where they are going, or maybe they go too late? Definitely don't seem to see any large complete secondary Chaos bases, nothing like what the Tau or the Orks can put down almost anywhere, or nothing like the Necrons are compelled to build. The Chaos just seem to act differently endgame or in protracted Tier 4 gameplay an hour into the game, nothing like the others, for having the exact same code.

Edited by ThetaOrion, 13 January 2007 - 02:27 PM.

#20 ArkhanTheBlack

ArkhanTheBlack

title available

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 03:00 PM

@Theta
Actually, you are right. The build manager had a bug which resulted in the AI not saving resources for buildings.
I discovered and fixed that a week ago. Thanks for reporting... ^_^

@Corsix
We'll see! I don't address other players with SCAR, and those are the critical commands I think. Besides that, the main problem were the performance issues of the AI and after I started a "I want my performance back!!!" crusade 1 - 2 weeks ago, I've rewritten lots of old code and the performance should therefore be much better now.
Further, transport code is now fully implemented and working too. Your dll works like a charm... ^_^

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users