Comrade Kal

Blur are better than Oasis

• Members
  • 2,491 posts
  • Projects:The revolution
  •  Terrorist

Posted 09 January 2007 - 09:29 PM

My musings on this topic:

1. This thread has inspired greater and more heated debate than the discussion of all the evils of the world in other threads.

2. It reminds me of a leter I once read from a guy in 1950 who claimed that British people were better because imperial was difficult to use and so kept the brain sharp, and all foreigners who used metric only did so 'cause they were shit at maths. Maybe it's the same for Americans.
Posted Image

"To be governed is tragic, to govern is pathetic."

#22 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 09 January 2007 - 09:31 PM

Hey now, crisps were invented in the US by an angry chef in Pennsylvania. A customer said his potatoes were too thick, so the smart ass chef shaved the potato and fried them into crsips.

Yes. And they ended up being called that :)

(Why does plural need to add "es" instead of just "s")

Usually that applies when the word ends in an E to begin with...

And why would you spell armor "armour?" What is the purpose of the "U"

To alter the pronunciation. The American spelling implies an 'or' sound, whereas in fact it's more of an 'ur' sound.

And gray is the letter "A" with a "gr" in front. Hell why should it even have a "Y" at the end TBH. It should be gra, but they that's a short "a" Doesn't work. ;)

Indeed, that would sound like 'grah'

See english is stupid, spanish is pronounced the same way everytime in every sense. Now that makes sense, And why is "sense" used twice in two differant ways. I believe italian, french, and porteguese might be like spanish also. I'm not sure.

You want to invent a new word to replace one or the other meanings? God help when you move onto the word 'run', which has loads of meanings, or the word 'fuck'.

And what is up with "though" Why not just spell is phonetically? Why not spell it tho? There is no other word spelled that way to confuse with it?

I never have a problem remembering it, any more than a French or German person has with remembering what gender their nouns have, or which form of the plural the Russians use based on how many of the object there are.

And if I "thinked" or shall I say "thought" something, why isn't it spelled "thinked", like the rest of english. And if I "thinked" something, why can't I "thunk" it in perfect past tense as a participle? If I should happen to "think" in past tense, it should actually be "thank" But that opens up another can of worms.

In every language, there are exceptions to the rule. English is therefore no different.

English is screwed up. And what does a screw have to do with something that is in disarray?

What does a screw have to do with coitus? What the fuck were those weirdos who came up with that colloquialism doing behind closed doors? Regardless, it's a commonly-accepted colloquialism...hence we consider those meanings to be applied to that word.

And why can you say "prick your finger", but can't say "finger your prick?"

You're dragging this MAJORLY into a random and unrelated tangent, but you are perfectly capable of saying that. Indeed, you just did. That phrase is perfectly grammatically correct and makes coherent sense. So, you defeat your own argument :p

Why can I say the word "vagina" but say the word "pussy?"

Again, you defeat your own argument...although I get the impression this is being done for attention more than to make an argument against the English language...indeed, this argument is more against the horseshit that is political correctness than against the English lexis. Granted, I agree with your argument, but it's hardly relevant. ;)

#23 MSpencer

MSpencer

Think Tank... Legend?

• Hosted
  • 4,120 posts
  • Projects:Admin @ Meaaov Gaming, university studies, ugh... research. GNP's Flagship of the Left.
  •  Angry, angry bastard.

Posted 09 January 2007 - 09:36 PM

So nobody saw the giant Dick Cheney cockmonster on the previous page? Oh well.
Posted Image
My Favorite Website.My UniversityAnd... Mein Kampf?
C. elegans for President

#24 Comrade Kal

Comrade Kal

• Members
  • 2,491 posts
  •  Terrorist

Posted 09 January 2007 - 09:38 PM

You want to invent a new word to replace one or the other meanings? God help when you move onto the word 'run', which has loads of meanings, or the word 'fuck'.

I still maintain that 'wank' is more versatile. Although I believe that profanity-aside, 'set' wins the definition record.

this argument is more against the horseshit that is political correctness than against the English lexis.

Do NOT begin to make an argument about political correctness.
Posted Image

#25 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 09:42 PM

I wasn't. Blame Hostile!

#26 Comrade Kal

Comrade Kal

• Members
  • 2,491 posts
  •  Terrorist

Posted 09 January 2007 - 09:44 PM

Ash -

The Daily Mail writes articles against political correctness.

If your opinion correlates with the Daily Mail at any point you may want to shoot yourself.
Posted Image

#27 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 09:50 PM

Now who's turning this thread into a discussion about political correctness...? ;)

#28 Copaman

Copaman

Ryan

• Project Team
  • 2,144 posts
  • Projects:Winning.
  •  Slowly becoming a Veteran

Posted 09 January 2007 - 09:53 PM

Hey now, crisps were invented in the US by an angry chef in Pennsylvania. A customer said his potatoes were too thick, so the smart ass chef shaved the potato and fried them into crsips.

Not true. They were invented in the town that I now live in, which is in NewYork, about 400 Mi. from Pennsylvania

Edited by Copaman, 09 January 2007 - 09:53 PM.

Posted Image

If you meet me:

Have some courtesy,

Have some sympathy,

And some taste.

Use all your well-learned politesse,

Or I'll lay your soul to waste.

#29 Comrade Kal

Comrade Kal

• Members
  • 2,491 posts
  •  Terrorist

Posted 09 January 2007 - 09:53 PM

Oh, I wasn't accusing you of that, I was merely expressing my annoyance at your anti-political correctness rhetoric.
Posted Image

#30 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 09 January 2007 - 09:55 PM

http://www.enchanted...otatochip.shtml

Appears he is correct. They were invented in NY state.

#31 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Job:Artist

Posted 09 January 2007 - 10:30 PM

hmm, deep thought can be alot of things i guess. its good not to twist your brain for every thread though ;)

i've never really had any trouble pronouncing english words if i've only seen them written before, so the system isnt completely random there.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#32 CodeCat

CodeCat

Half fox, half cat, and all insanity!

• Members
  • 3,768 posts
  •  Fighting for equality of all species

Posted 09 January 2007 - 11:20 PM

And if I "thinked" or shall I say "thought" something, why isn't it spelled "thinked", like the rest of english. And if I "thinked" something, why can't I "thunk" it in perfect past tense as a participle? If I should happen to "think" in past tense, it should actually be "thank" But that opens up another can of worms.

In every language, there are exceptions to the rule. English is therefore no different.

Actually, 'thought' is perfectly regular. It's a strong verb, and it shares the same characteristics with bring, do, bid, drink, hang, come, lie, rise etc. These verbs all have a changing vowel, and this dates back to the very roots of the language.

http://en.wikipedia....nic_strong_verb
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

#33 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 11:31 PM

Actually, 'thought' is perfectly regular.

The main regular is to add 'ed' on the end. Again there are even conventions which are exceptions to the commonly-established.

Bid becomes 'bidded'. 'Buy' would have been a better example...similarly 'lie' can become 'lied' depending on context, just as 'hang' can become 'hanged' ;)

Nonetheless, not every verb has to conform to the rule. That's my point. :)

#34 Mastermind

Mastermind

Server Technician

• Undead
  • 7,014 posts
  • Projects:MasterNews 3
  •  The Man Behind the Curtain

Posted 10 January 2007 - 02:53 AM

The really annoying one is that hanged should be hung depending on what you're referring to. Why in the world are there two different past tenses for the same word that depend only on the context they are used in?
Posted Image

Well, when it comes to writing an expository essay about counter-insurgent tactics, I'm of the old school. First you tell them how you're going to kill them. Then you kill them. Then you tell them how you just killed them.

Too cute! | Server Status: If you can read this, it's up |

#35 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 10 January 2007 - 04:50 AM

I do, I will have done, I will do, I did, I will have did (something)...

;)

I may have thought, I might become crazy, if I will have thought, or continue to think, about this long enough. Why not enuff?? (but then again, why two "ff"s) Why not just type it enuf?

#36 Calamity_Jones

Calamity_Jones

Boomers Disposable Minion

• Project Team
  • 2,399 posts
  • Projects:Only War 2
  •  The Lurker-Turned-Poster-Turned-Lurker

Posted 10 January 2007 - 06:51 AM

or enough :p

I reckon the change of thinked to thought is to make it sound better when spoken. I think it's to do with the word ending in a "k".

Drank is another example... I drinked 7 pints last night... doesn't sound right does it? :D

Sinked is Sank, my ship Sank... But then, Thank becomes Thanked, it doesn't have the "ink" bit to turn into "ank" though...
Posted Image

#37 Blodo

Blodo

The one who disagrees

• Project Team
  • 3,002 posts
  • Projects:siteMeister, Mental Omega
  •  The wise guy

Posted 10 January 2007 - 07:18 AM

I do, I will have done, I will do, I did, I will have did (something)...

:p

I may have thought, I might become crazy, if I will have thought, or continue to think, about this long enough. Why not enuff?? (but then again, why two "ff"s) Why not just type it enuf?

http://www.clean-fun.../html/f1753.htm

Nuff said :D

ARGUMENT FROM CREATION, a.k.a. ARGUMENT FROM PERSONAL INCREDULITY (I)
(1) If evolution is false, then creationism is true, and therefore God exists.
(2) Evolution can't be true, since I lack the mental capacity to understand it; moreover, to accept its truth would cause me to be uncomfortable.
(3) Therefore, God exists.

#38 Dirt

Dirt

How do I know?

• Members
  • 344 posts
  •  Shocker

Posted 10 January 2007 - 09:41 AM

I had a conversation with my American friend, Ken::

Ken: Pull your pants up dude
Me: Trousers
Ken: No, its pants
Me: PANTS is an abbrevation for a french word meaning something you wear inside
Ken: Thats underpants
Me: Same thing
Ken: Hey does zeebras have black hair and white stripes or the opposite
Me: ........ zeebra what?
Ken: ZEEBRA
Me: ????? I know zebra but i dont know zeebra - Ken say tomato
Ken: Tometo
Me: lol
Ken: Its tometo
Me: No la - ok now whats the guys playing on the field
Ken: Soccer
Me: Football
Ken: Football's different, thats soccer
Me: FOOTball is a game that you play with your FOOT - your american football is just throwing and kick occasionally

After that i told him to get out until he speaks normal English :p. It seems that in very early after American Independence the dictionary author is a person who learned English for 3 months :D.

#39 CodeCat

CodeCat

Half fox, half cat, and all insanity!

• Members
  • 3,768 posts
  •  Fighting for equality of all species

Posted 10 January 2007 - 12:34 PM

Again, because it originally was pronounced as spelled. Pronunciation changed, spelling didn't. Enough is cognate with Dutch 'genoeg', might is cognate with 'mocht', thought goes with 'dacht'.
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

#40 Banshee

Banshee

One Vision, One Purpose!

• Network Admins
  • 8,998 posts
  • Projects:PPM, PPM: Final Dawn, OS SHP Builder, OS Palette Editor, OS W3D Viewer, VXLSE III, etc...
  •  Retired Network Leader
  • Job:Maintenance Admin

Posted 10 January 2007 - 01:53 PM

Bah... nice topic... pitty I missed its start. In a little note, I prefer writting the english from brittish... it seems more 'correct' than the american one, but when I was in Los Angeles last month with the community guys, it was easier to understand the american ones, as long as they weren't from Texas. Then, after the guys from US, the guys from UK were much easier to understand than australians. I've suffered to understand the australians, definitelly...
Project Perfect Mod

Command & Conquer Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, Tools, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users