#1 Copaman

Copaman

Ryan

• Project Team
  • 2,144 posts
  • Projects:Winning.
  •  Slowly becoming a Veteran

Posted 12 January 2007 - 01:04 AM

Dredging up an age-old issue with nowhere else sensible to put it...

American Football - vs - European Football (know to us Americans as Soccer)

The Question for you to answer:

Which is better and why?

_______
Euro Footy is definitely the better.

Face it- without Euro Footy, FOOTBALL wouldn't even have a name. Let alone one that doesn't make sense. Real Football should be played using the FOOT as the major ball handler, not the hands. True football (which is how I'll refer to Soccer for the rest of thepost, and also by TF or RF or Footy) has 11 players per team on a feild/pitch, and Football (American, referred to as AF) has several positions with 11 players in them. Wonder where that idea came from...

Further, the AF feild/pitch is roughly the same size as a RF feild/pitch, which is why some games played by professionals here in the States are actually on AF feilds, just re-marked. TF has a TRULY international sport governing body, while it seems that AF has none...

And last but not least, the numbers. TF has THE most players in the world. It is also the cheapest to play, needing no more than a ball of socks rolled together and six sitcks. <- That alone makes it the world's game. You don't need to buy fancy pads or the like (This would be a problem in some countries where the beautiful sport is played). Furthermore, it has the most viewers in the world. More people watch Professional TF played in one form or another - be it TV or attending a match - than ANY other sport in the world, including the Olympics (Which occur at the same time-interval as the FIFA World Cup).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soccer I believe that this page and most of it's links will be quite helpful for the defenders of TF.

Edited by Copaman, 12 January 2007 - 01:09 AM.

Posted Image

If you meet me:

Have some courtesy,

Have some sympathy,

And some taste.

Use all your well-learned politesse,

Or I'll lay your soul to waste.

#2 Calamity_Jones

Calamity_Jones

Boomers Disposable Minion

• Project Team
  • 2,399 posts
  • Projects:Only War 2
  •  The Lurker-Turned-Poster-Turned-Lurker

Posted 12 January 2007 - 09:28 AM

American football is a game for women, they wear armour plating for heavens sake...

Besides, they rarely use their feet like you said:P I don't think you can really compare them as they're pretty different... American football is more like rugby than Football.

I'm not really into sports, but I watch the world cup matches. The great thing with football is that anyone can watch it and enjoy it, from hardcore fans... to people who don't care about sports much :p
Posted Image

#3 Dirt

Dirt

How do I know?

• Members
  • 344 posts
  •  Shocker

Posted 12 January 2007 - 09:32 AM

Agreed.

And if talking about World Cups.....

GERMANY GERMANY GERMANY GERMANY GERMANY GERMANY GERMANY GERMANY GERMANY GERMANY GERMANY GERMANY GERMANY GERMANY GERMANY GERMANY GERMANY GERMANY GERMANY GERMANY GERMANY GERMANY GERMANY GERMANY GERMANY GERMANY GERMANY GERMANY GERMANY GERMANY GERMANY GERMANY GERMANY GERMANY GERMANY GERMANY GERMANY GERMANY GERMANY GERMANY GERMANY GERMANY GERMANY GERMANY GERMANY GERMANY GERMANY GERMANY GERMANY GERMANY GERMANY GERMANY GERMANY GERMANY GERMANY GERMANY GERMANY GERMANY GERMANY GERMANY GERMANY GERMANY GERMANY GERMANY GERMANY!!!

Edited by Shocker, 12 January 2007 - 09:33 AM.

#4 Copaman

Copaman

Ryan

• Project Team
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 04:41 PM

Germany was my bet in 06'...

They had the game won if they'd made it to PK overtime- Italy got lucky. That and they took acting lessons... the refs should have come down upon faking harder. Nothing was really done about it.

But now USA should do well in 2010 because we're getting Germany's ex-coach from this last WC. Yes!

Posted Image

If you meet me:

Have some courtesy,

Have some sympathy,

And some taste.

#5 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  • Projects:Red-Resurrection
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 13 January 2007 - 06:47 PM

Both are retarded because people take them too seriously, like religion. All of it should be banned to see what those nutters react like. ^_^

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#6 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 13 January 2007 - 09:48 PM

Both are retarded because people take them too seriously, like religion. All of it should be banned to see what those nutters react like. :sleep:

QFT

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#7 AdmiralGT

AdmiralGT

title available

• Members
  • 1,702 posts
  • Projects:Petrolution

Posted 13 January 2007 - 10:11 PM

American football is a game for women, they wear armour plating for heavens sake...

I dare you to say that once you've been kitted in the full gear and played American Football. There is a reason why they wear so much padding. In American Football, pretty much anything goes in terms of tackling (when you are allowed to tackle), except anything on the face mask (ie the front of the helmet). This means punching, kicking, grabbing, lifting are all allowed.

And, before anyone says, I'm english, and I have played American Football, and then soon stopped. I've also played Rugby, so I know what it's like to play without body armour as well (and pretty much all rugby players these days wear body armour, it's just a sleaker type).

I'm an American Sports fan, I love baseball (and play regularly) and like American Football. I also like english sports such as football and cricket, and they both have their advantages. You should also be pretty grateful that english football is not popular in the states, because if it was, there wouldn't be a good english league, they'd all be playing in the states. Beckham has signed a £128 million deal with LA Galaxy, no english club could ever afford to compete with that.

As for which of the two football's is better, I rarely ever turn on the TV to watch a football game these days (apart from major finals), whereas I'll watch American Football whenever it's on. English football has gone downhill, the Premier League has been won by only 4 teams in it's entire history, the last 14 years of the Superbowl have been won by 9 different teams. The Salary cap and draft prevent any one team from dominating the league for several years (The New England Patriots being the only exception, but they were possibly the best team of NFL history). Okay, the game is a bit slow, but football is becoming increasingly slower, with the ball just being passed around with hardly any movement forward due to the overly negative style of play of many teams.

Yeah, it's easy to have a kickabout in the park, but equally just has easy to play "tag football", just no-one ever does.

#8 Copaman

Copaman

Ryan

• Project Team
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 12:42 AM

When I watch American Footy- I think 'Oh hey. An excuse to watch TV for an hour. Let's watch one team who's at the lower end of the table get completely dominated and pounded into the ground by the other team.'

There is no randomness in American Football. The better team almost always wins. But in true football, no matter what teams play, there is never a definite (Meaning Mostly Predictable) outcome. Another few things that bug me about American Football -

- A game with 4 15-minute quarters should last maybe 1 hour and 20 minutes, counting breaks at quarter and half. A 1 hr- 20 min. game should not be stretched to almost 3 hours

- America Football has no beauty. The plays are all variations of themselves (Yes, to watch a Flea Flicker could be considerd a thing of beauty, but it's really just a reverse hand off with only one RB and the QB throwing it after), and the play gets repetitive. The same could be said for European Football as well (The repetitive part), but I look foward to a player pulling off a double-sweepover and putting the defender on his ass. I look foward to a player confusing a defender so much that the defender no longer knows where the ball is. I look foward to the 40-Meter volley that enters the upper right hand corner, beating the keeper. I look foward to a middy pulling off a cross from an impossible angle while covered by a defender by using a Third-Foot technique. Not all of those may happen in a TF game, but I'll be damned if you can find a TF game where at least ONE thing beautiful happens.

- American Football is just plain dumb IMO. Let's go out there with a bunch of guys, put some padding on, and then get our asses handed to us. Meanwhile my odds of getting hurt are very large, and the giant pile of dudes on top of me is somehow not very pleasing. Maybe it's just that feeling that this is a bit too much like gay-orgy with padding on...
I don't see much common sense in the sport

- In professional American Football, there is no comradery or sportsmanship. Sure, both have their respective 'End-Zone dances', but that isn't what TF is all about. These days with AF, it seems it's all about who can come up with the most inventive way to showboat. At the end of a game of AF, both teams walk off the feild with no acknowlegement that the other team is even there. In TF, there is a Jersey trade-off and usually a handshake.

Posted Image

If you meet me:

Have some courtesy,

Have some sympathy,

And some taste.

#9 Silent_Killa

Silent_Killa

Village Idiot

• Project Team
  • 790 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:41 PM

American football is the greatest sport ever invented. Why? You get to hit people. The only sports comparable are Rugby and boxing.

I played American football, if you can take a hit from me without pads, I will pay you $10,000. Pads, unfortunately, are like boxing gloves, if you hit as hard as we do without pads people would get killed regularly.

There is no randomness in American Football. The better team almost always wins. But in true football, no matter what teams play, there is never a definite (Meaning Mostly Predictable) outcome. Another few things that bug me about American Football -

Have you ever seen a football game?

- In professional American Football, there is no comradery or sportsmanship. Sure, both have their respective 'End-Zone dances', but that isn't what TF is all about. These days with AF, it seems it's all about who can come up with the most inventive way to showboat. At the end of a game of AF, both teams walk off the feild with no acknowlegement that the other team is even there. In TF, there is a Jersey trade-off and usually a handshake.

Agreed, but underdstand that it is still a team that wins the game. There's never been a great quarterback without a good reciever. There's never been a good running back without a good line. Football is the ultimate team sport, every position is important.

EDIT: BTW, wtf is this doing in Deep Thought?

Edited by Silent_Killa, 15 January 2007 - 12:42 PM.

My political compass
Economic Left/Right: 6.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.64

"Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility." -Sigmund Freud
"Laws: We know what they are, and what they are worth! They are spider webs for the rich and mighty, steel chains for the poor and weak, fishing nets in the hands of the government." -Pierre Joseph Proudhon
"You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm." -George Orwell

#10 Copaman

Copaman

Ryan

• Project Team
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 03:43 PM

Have you ever seen a football game?

Yes, I watch them almost every week. It's hard to get away from when American Football has almost every major station taken over. But which type of Football are you talking about? If AF- The better team will almost always win. That's why it's so easy to win a Football Pool - pick the best teams each week with maybe an upset once in a while. Two teams come to mind - Patriots and Chargers. Yeah they may have lost two or three times, but for the most part they dominate their leagues.

Agreed, but underdstand that it is still a team that wins the game. There's never been a great quarterback without a good reciever. There's never been a good running back without a good line. Football is the ultimate team sport, every position is important.

BOTH types of football are team sports. You cannot say one type is more team-oriented than the other. There's never been a good European Football team without a good Keeper or Striker. There's never been a good striker witout a good middy to get him the ball. There's never been a good Middy without a iron back line to get the ball away from the other team and then get the ball to him. And there's never been an iron back line without a great keeper to keep them oragnised and IF the back line falters, (Hopefully) save the ball and then get it out to the other players.

American football is the greatest sport ever invented. Why? You get to hit people. The only sports comparable are Rugby and boxing.

In True Football you also get to hit people. I've played American football too, and I can't say I liked hitting people better than I do taking them out at the ankles by sliding in Cleats up.

BTW, wtf is this doing in Deep Thought?

Where else would you like it to be? CNC guild? RCAlert? This is a matter that is argumentative in the least, and does require some higher level thinking to support your side. Which is why we don't have dumbasses mucking this thread up by just coming in and saying "My type of Football is better than yours cus I say so and you have to live with it. And if you dont think so well then your an idiot"

Posted Image

If you meet me:

Have some courtesy,

Have some sympathy,

And some taste.

#11 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 16 January 2007 - 02:34 PM

You don't get to hit people in true football.

American football is more like a game of chess than an active by-the-moment sport.

I'm not a big football fan, but I hate rugby, and I REALLY don't get what the big deal is about American football.

But yes. They should make another name for it. It's neither truly American (it's a derivative of rugby) nor is it football.

Ice hockey is the best American sport. You get to smack eachother in that, too :)

#12 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Artist

Posted 16 January 2007 - 02:39 PM

isnt ice hockey more of the canadian national sport? i hardly believe that the americans were the ones to invent that one :). naturally i could be wrong, but it doesnt scream american for me.

Edited by duke_Qa, 16 January 2007 - 02:52 PM.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#13 Silent_Killa

Silent_Killa

Village Idiot

• Project Team
  • 790 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 02:08 AM

Yes, I watch them almost every week. It's hard to get away from when American Football has almost every major station taken over. But which type of Football are you talking about? If AF- The better team will almost always win. That's why it's so easy to win a Football Pool - pick the best teams each week with maybe an upset once in a while. Two teams come to mind - Patriots and Chargers. Yeah they may have lost two or three times, but for the most part they dominate their leagues.

You'll never win any money that way, you bet on the underdog who has a situational advantage.

BOTH types of football are team sports. You cannot say one type is more team-oriented than the other. There's never been a good European Football team without a good Keeper or Striker. There's never been a good striker witout a good middy to get him the ball. There's never been a good Middy without a iron back line to get the ball away from the other team and then get the ball to him. And there's never been an iron back line without a great keeper to keep them oragnised and IF the back line falters, (Hopefully) save the ball and then get it out to the other players.

TBH I just don't see the same type of comraderie in Soccer... here in the states at least, it seems kind of like basketball really, where a star player can win you a game.

In True Football you also get to hit people. I've played American football too, and I can't say I liked hitting people better than I do taking them out at the ankles by sliding in Cleats up.

You can play kickie all you want, personally, I prefer to level someone.

Where else would you like it to be? CNC guild? RCAlert? This is a matter that is argumentative in the least, and does require some higher level thinking to support your side. Which is why we don't have dumbasses mucking this thread up by just coming in and saying "My type of Football is better than yours cus I say so and you have to live with it. And if you dont think so well then your an idiot"

General discussion maybe?

American football is more like a game of chess than an active by-the-moment sport.

I'm not a big football fan, but I hate rugby, and I REALLY don't get what the big deal is about American football.

But yes. They should make another name for it. It's neither truly American (it's a derivative of rugby) nor is it football.

Ice hockey is the best American sport. You get to smack eachother in that, too tongue.gif

1) It is, slowed down significantly in the pros though to make room for adverts and blabbing announcers anyways. Come do tempo drills with Coach Teams and tell me it's not an "active by-the-moment sport" ;)

2) You get to hit people... come one, who doesn't like to hit people?

3) Agreed, but all the other names just don't seem to fit

4) Nothing is cool on ice skates... unless maybe if you got some ice on the skates... er, no, nothing is cool on ice skates.

Edited by Silent_Killa, 17 January 2007 - 02:13 AM.

My political compass

"Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility." -Sigmund Freud
"Laws: We know what they are, and what they are worth! They are spider webs for the rich and mighty, steel chains for the poor and weak, fishing nets in the hands of the government." -Pierre Joseph Proudhon
"You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm." -George Orwell

#14 MSpencer

MSpencer

Think Tank... Legend?

• Hosted
  • 4,120 posts
  • Projects:Admin @ Meaaov Gaming, university studies, ugh... research. GNP's Flagship of the Left.
  •  Angry, angry bastard.

Posted 17 January 2007 - 02:48 AM

This has no business in deep thought. I've moved it.
Posted Image
My Favorite Website.My UniversityAnd... Mein Kampf?
C. elegans for President

#15 Daeda

Daeda

Piñata

• Project Team
  • 1,627 posts
  • Projects:CNC3.net News & Freedom Studios admin
  •  This text is actually purple

Posted 17 January 2007 - 02:41 PM

There's just a big difference in psychology between the two. Americans dont like a game where there arent a lot of scores. The dont like watching a game that ends in a 0-0, even though it might be a really exciting game. Also, Americans want to be able to go and grab a hotdog and when they return they havent missed anything big, unlike soccer where you might miss that single goal.

Thats basically why AF works much better in America than soccer.

That being said, even though i dislike watchin them both, soccer is just better. I dont get it, why make a game thats entirely based on a protected form of rugby and then call it football. You barely even use your feet in AF. So in sport terms I prefer soccer.. it seems to me it requires much more skill.

Still, i wouldnt miss either one if they just stopped..

#16 Fighting Phantom

Fighting Phantom

That guy who posts too much

• Project Team
  • 546 posts
  • Projects:V|GO beta testing, Phantom Generals
  •  The

Posted 19 January 2007 - 01:01 AM

American Football Is so much better. I remember last year at homecomming game, our offense was in freaking chaos. They couldn't move the ball. The other team had gotten an early touchdown, but the rest of the defense and I stopped them from scoring again. We generated a few turnovers and our offense finally scored. Finally we take a one touchdown lead, and from there our defense just had to hold them and we did.

Basically what i'm saying is, in my opinion, American Football is just more exciting, and dramatic then European football. Plus you get to hit people :lol:

And besides, that guy who yells "goaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal" is amazingly annoying.

Edited by Fighting Phantom, 19 January 2007 - 01:04 AM.

#17 Calamity_Jones

Calamity_Jones

Boomers Disposable Minion

• Project Team
  • 2,399 posts
  • Projects:Only War 2
  •  The Lurker-Turned-Poster-Turned-Lurker

Posted 19 January 2007 - 04:01 AM

pah, it sucks.

Snooker is a much more interesting game. (not to watch, to play)
Posted Image

#18 Silent_Killa

Silent_Killa

Village Idiot

• Project Team
  • 790 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 10:38 AM

That being said, even though i dislike watchin them both, soccer is just better. I dont get it, why make a game thats entirely based on a protected form of rugby and then call it football. You barely even use your feet in AF. So in sport terms I prefer soccer.. it seems to me it requires much more skill.

It may not take as much talent, but I guarantee you it takes a thousand times more work. Football is a sport where there's a position for everyone, small and fast, slow and fat, whatever you are we've got a position for you so long as you're willing to work. That's one of the things I love about it, represents the way things should be in America, you work hard, and it pays.

Snooker is a much more interesting game. (not to watch, to play)

with a name like Snookers... do I really need to say anything here?
My political compass

#19 Copaman

Copaman

Ryan

• Project Team
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 05:10 PM

There is also a position for anyone who wants to play TF / Soccer. They just have to work, as said. I've seen 300 lb. Sweepers with a hell of a foot and the physicality necessary to boot.

ANYONE can play ANY sport with enough work. Saying that there is a position for everyone who is willing to work is true in EVERY sport. Hell- I bet that I could make some pencil thin never-exercized-before guy into the next star striker with enough practice and work.

Posted Image

If you meet me:

Have some courtesy,

Have some sympathy,

And some taste.

#20 Silent_Killa

Silent_Killa

Village Idiot

• Project Team
  • 790 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 01:45 AM

coordination and timing are more gifts than the result of work.
My political compass

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users