#1 Stealthsnake

Stealthsnake

Battles of Gondor mod leader

• Hosted
  • 976 posts
  • Projects:Battles of Gondor
  •  coder, skinner, mapper, graphics

Posted 15 January 2007 - 01:53 PM

I don't think i've seen a single mod with a new colour theme (correct me if im wrong). I'm not sure why, its not hard to do, but it is time consuming. It took me near 6 hours todo. Dont be put off though, it took me that long, because I did all the experimenting.

So I decided to write this tutorial. I made this tutorial for rotwk, but it will be basicly the same with the other games, only less work with bfme1.

By the end of this tutorial, you will know how to make a hole new colour theme for your mod. when i say colour theme, i mean the Palantir colours, the button art for the main menu, and ingame menu and any other back ground art you see.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Changing the Colour Theme Tutorial

For this tutorial you will need,
Final Big,
Photoshop,
A basic understanding with photoshop and getting new art ingame
Coffee :grin:

Now, here's probely the most boring bit, so put music or a dvd on and just get it over and done with in one go. You will need to go into the "apt" folder in your rotwk install directory. In there you will see 88 .big files.
They contain most of the art you need to edit. The "fun" bit is, that not all of them contain textures, so you will need to go through every single .big, and extract any textures you find in any of them.
Extract the textures to somewhere safe, so you dont need to do this again.

After I had done this i had 112 texture files. Now make a new folder called "art" and make anouther new folder inside that called "textures". Its in here where you must place all your edited texture files.

Now you will need to go through all 112 texture files, and recolour them. Theres no need to go into details about this, just use the recolour brush if you want to keep it simple.
You could at this point design a new palantir, or new art design. For example, ea's rotwk a spiky theme, you could replace it with your own theme.
So once your done with the texture files. You should have them all in the "art/textures" folder.

Next, go back to the main rotwk folder, and extract "loadpage_bg" out of the "textures2.big" file. This is the load screen you see when loading cah for example.

Posted Image

It would look abit out of place with the new art, so edit it as you like.
Once done, make a new folder in your new art folder called "compiledtextures" then anouther new folder in that called "lo". Place the edited loading screen in there.

Your nearly done, go back to the rotwk main directory, and extract all the "aptcomponents" files from textures1.big. There may be more or less files depending if your running bfme1, bfme2 or rotwk. There are some bars and buttons in these to be changed.
Once done, make anouther new folder in "compiledtextures" called "ap" and place the new "aptcomponents" files in there.

Thats about it. Simply drag the arts folder into finalbig and run usuing the -mod command and your good to go. no new asset.dat is needed as your replacing art, not making new art.

I have found some problems however, not all of the art seems to be in the .big's in the apt folder. i have not found where all of the art is, you can see the blue bits below.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Also the font colour seems hard coded, so make sure the colour you choose looks good with the font colour.

Well thats it, i hope i did not make it too hard to follow and i hope to see lots of intresting mod themes now ;) .

Update: i have found where the last art bits are thanks to JEV3. They are in the "SF" folder in CompiledTextures.

Edited by Stealthsnake, 28 January 2007 - 11:54 AM.

Posted Image
Posted Image
a mod for rotwk, includes Harad, Rhun, Rohan and Southern Fiefdoms Factions, beta released, site/forums for the mod is here.

#2 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 15 January 2007 - 06:21 PM

got about 338 for BFME1 :p :dry:

nice tut though...

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

#3 IthronAiwendil

IthronAiwendil

Retired modder

• Hosted
  • 1,452 posts
  • Projects:None
  •  Coder, skinner, modeler, art guy

Posted 15 January 2007 - 06:30 PM

Nice tutorial. And by the way, your color theme looks awesome. That orange color is perfect

#4 Stealthsnake

Stealthsnake

• Hosted
  • 976 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 08:42 PM

got about 338 for BFME1 :p :dry:

nice tut though...

wow i thought it would be less as bfme2 has cah and wotr.
Posted Image
Posted Image
a mod for rotwk, includes Harad, Rhun, Rohan and Southern Fiefdoms Factions, beta released, site/forums for the mod is here.

#5 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 15 January 2007 - 09:20 PM

well, in BFME1, they have 2-5 of the same.... so I edited them all, and tried them in Sots... damn mod got another 60MBs on it.... so, on need to change it there :dry:

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

#6 Stealthsnake

Stealthsnake

• Hosted
  • 976 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 10:20 PM

yea ive added anouther 70 mb onto bog by doing this.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 Solinx

Solinx

• Undead
  • 3,101 posts
  • Projects:Real Life
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Retired Leader / Manager

Posted 16 January 2007 - 06:32 PM

70 MB, that's quite something for the guys on a 56k modem. Will you release two versions of the mod? One with and one without the colour theme?

Solinx
Posted Image

"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

#8 zimoo

zimoo

Ecthelion of the Fountain

• Project Team
  • 2,009 posts
  • Projects:Lurking until the off topic begins...
  •  Guardian of the Books

Posted 16 January 2007 - 06:49 PM

Yes he will, unless he changed his mind.

Good thing is graphics don't effect online.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Playing games? Ah, you'll never be a good modder if you get involved in actually playing them!

#9 Stealthsnake

Stealthsnake

• Hosted
  • 976 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 11:55 AM

i found out were the last art pieces are, so ive updated the tutorial :sleep:
Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 06 February 2007 - 10:17 PM

Now you will need to go through all 112 texture files, and recolour them. Theres no need to go into details about this, just use the recolour brush if you want to keep it simple.

or make a 'macro' (don't remember what it's called in PSD) and apply it to all files. it can even do things like saving in another dir and such
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#11 ched

ched

• Undead
  • 4,431 posts
  • Projects:Rhovanion Alliance
  •  T3A Team Chamber Member
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:Previous Division Leader

Posted 06 February 2007 - 11:00 PM

Tom, care to upload all of your images files to your FTP or any other place where they're safe ? :D
Software is like sex; it's better when it's free ~Linus Torvald

#12 Stealthsnake

Stealthsnake

• Hosted
  • 976 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 11:34 AM

dam photobucket has pissed me off. I still need to work out how to you my space, i have smart ftp and ive logged in, but i have no idea how to use my space.

Anyway, ill update this later, with some new images as it looks much better now the font has been done and the last textures have been found.
Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users