• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Medalmonkey

Medalmonkey

Rumor has it that I'm Awesome.

• Members
  • 477 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 04:57 PM

It already has the Ra2.pal, and blue corners.

Here is the unit (Chemical XXXX) and a background I found on google.
Posted Image

I cut out the unit with the Polygonal Lasso Tool.
Posted Image

Then I resized the unit image to half.
Posted Image

Copyed it and put it on top of the background
Posted Image

NOW THIS IS THE TRICKY PART!
Because you see Red alert 2 cameos look like a cartoon, and as you can tell the image I have it real.

What I will usually do is duplicate the unit's layer like so.
Posted Image

Then I put the copyed layer at 60% opacity, and change the blending style to SCREEN, so that it will stack up on top of the first layer, and lighten it up a lot.
Posted Image

And there you go!
Posted Image

It doesnt work the same with every image, so you will need to mess around with the settings to master the technique. :dry:
Posted Image

#2 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  • Projects:Red-Resurrection
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 15 January 2007 - 05:55 PM

Nice tutorial and very nice cameo that came from it. :dry: Maybe it should be pinned?

Edited by OmegaBolt, 15 January 2007 - 05:55 PM.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#3 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

5700 vxl files & counting...

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  • Projects:D-Day
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 15 January 2007 - 06:23 PM

It looks nice with the pictures but it only really shows you how to cut an image out & resize it. If it explained how to make the background/glass effect, apply the pal & then convert it to a shp etc then I would pin it.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 Medalmonkey

Medalmonkey

• Members
  • 477 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 07:38 PM

It looks nice with the pictures but it only really shows you how to cut an image out & resize it. If it explained how to make the background/glass effect, apply the pal & then convert it to a shp etc then I would pin it.

Ah, well I was assuming that you already know how to use XCC mixer, and you know how to do everything else.
Edit: The main reason i made this was to make them look more like RA2, rather then real life images, infact I was thinking about making about 10 or more downloadable backgrounds that would be the right size, and with the right properties.

I will make another TUT that has cameo making more in depth using photoshop and XCC, maybe later today, or tomarrow. Im going to hang out with amber right now, then im getting my braces taken off later today.

Edited by Medalmonkey, 15 January 2007 - 07:40 PM.

Posted Image

#5 Lee

Lee

title available

• Division Leaders
  • 2,313 posts
  • Projects:Life
  • Division:Art & Design
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 16 January 2007 - 04:21 PM

There is much easier ways of exstracting a render than with the Polygonal Lasso Tool. :)

As for making it look more RA2 like, thats kinda easy and hard, helps to understand Photoshop for this. You can go through a series of adjustments, sharpening, shading and layer modes to achieve this.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 Medalmonkey

Medalmonkey

• Members
  • 477 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 07:10 AM

There is much easier ways of exstracting a render than with the Polygonal Lasso Tool. ;)

Yes, considering that the image is going to be resized to a much smaller image, it doesnt really matter if you do it perfect, but I find the Polygonal Lasso tool very useful when trying to get other objects other then the first one selected in the image.

Also I realized right now that there is another person in the background of the one I cut out, If I wanted to I could add him in the cameo too, But I would move him closer to the other guy, so that it will look like 2 of the same type of infantry doing different things.. really cool looking :lol:

As for making it look more RA2 like, thats kinda easy and hard, helps to understand Photoshop for this. You can go through a series of adjustments, sharpening, shading and layer modes to achieve this.

Yes another thing I mess around with it making one image sharper, and one a tad bit blury.

Well I havent really been on my computer in a few days, I just got on right now, and its almost 11, so im going to sleep. I hope tomarrow I will be able to make a better one.
Posted Image

#7 Gaffel

Gaffel

title available

• Members
  • 387 posts
  •  <-_->

Posted 08 April 2007 - 12:09 PM

Medalmonkey why does your image always dissapear?

#8 GodSun666

GodSun666

Marching Trough The Eternal Fields Of Chaos!

• Banned
  • 1,439 posts
  • Projects:Fast Fun And Crazy for Red Alert 3

Posted 09 April 2007 - 12:44 PM

hmmm, to bad i only see IPB IMAGE.

i hope some mod or you can fix it?

Greetz godsun
для матери Россия! Советский Союз победит! Америка может облизывать мои яйца
Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 Jeeves

Jeeves

I write the interwebz

• Members
  • 4,156 posts
  •  Friendly neighborhood standards Nazi

Posted 09 April 2007 - 01:09 PM

I think he lost his domain, the pictures are gone now. :(

World Domination Status: 2.7%

#10 L0N3 W0LF

L0N3 W0LF

The Guy Who Cracked A Wall With His Fist

• Hosted
  • 116 posts
  • Projects:World War III
  •  The Guy Behind The Specs

Posted 29 July 2007 - 03:20 PM

<Xero In>

:lol: Nice...I never thought of using them on cameos as I never made them out of unit shps...thanx 4 the tip....

<Xero Out>

What Do You Do When Your Crush Diches You?.. I Punched a Brick Wall With My Fist... Cracked The Wall... Also... I Cracked My Fist..
Posted Image
If You Risk Everything... You End Up With Nothing...... Thats Why I Never Risk Anything...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users