#1 Allied General

Allied General

C&C Guild

• Hosted
  • 6,922 posts
  • Projects:AGSA
  •  Modder

Posted 17 January 2007 - 02:08 AM

I wish to compile a list of all the (useful) known features that were dropped from the original Red Alert 2/ Yuri's Revenge game. There are a number of things that i haven't included in this list, things such as unit name/gfx changes.

This is intended as a source of possible ideas for modders, rather than a 100% accurate list of everything that was ever dropped (but if i've missed out anything useful, or made any mistakes, please reply ;))
  • Don't mention name/gfx changes
  • Some form of evidence regarding the claim would be useful e.g. concept art, some review, etc

Generic

- Sell function disabled via service depots, can be enabled by superweapon but causes bugs on bunkered units.
- Cannot recycle infantry or make new inf from cloning vats due to introduction of yuri grinder.
- EVA voices for stolen armor, firepower and offline miners, defences
- Destruction anims on standard structures (not just civilian monuments)
- AttackMove Function (can be enabled but doesn't really work in my experience unlike say Generals version)

Allies

- Light Tank (dropped)
- Howitzer (dropped)
- Mine Layer (dropped)
- Mirage Tank disguise as any object, elite weapon
- Gun Turret
- Chrono Prison (dropped)
- Robot Tank used dual MG or low calibre cannon

Soviets
- HIND Transport - carries troops AND vehicles
- Ivan bombs originally remote control now timer (used)
- Desolator had "umbrella" effect upon deploy (unused)
- Siege Chopper - seems like a combination of dropped hind and howitzer ...
- Much emphasised cow ivan trick never used, instead bomb conscripts ftw ..

Yuri
- Glowing rods on psychic tower
- MCV originally meant to hover

Sources:

INI'S/Mixes, IGN, Afterglow, Concept Art

Edited by Allied General, 21 January 2008 - 01:08 AM.

Posted Image

#2 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  • Projects:Red-Resurrection
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 17 January 2007 - 09:36 AM

Loads of things were 'meant' to be in it like those thousands of robotic soviet units. And the glowing rods, umbrella effect and destruction anims are purely graphical and you said not to post them. ;) Plus they are mainly for prerelease structures so useless except allied con yard, tesla and prism tower.

- Gap Generator deploys to use more power but provide a larger coverage
- Prism Tanks were meant to support each other (impossible)
- Amphibious transports could only beach and not go on land (however, the Corkscrew Transport concept did look as though it was "screwing" through land)
- Soviets (Or both sides in some screenshots) had Hydrofoil, or a small missile boat instead of Scorp
- Could build more than one Cloning Vat (?, some screenshots had 3 but might have been for show)
- Soviets had double barreled heavy tank
- Tesla Tank fired from both coils

Edited to add more! :lol:

- Kirov bomb turned towards the ground as it fell
- Yuri had in very early versions an upgradable tech center, where you would buy certain upgrades to get certain units
- Bio Reactor could take in units (Doubt it but the tag is there, do not know if it works)
- Dreadnought had barrels and turrets instead of missiles (In one, unnamed concept)
- Flak Track was called Halftrack and has similar cannons to the RA1 AA Gun
- Robot Tank was called Robot Rocket Tank and seemed to fire two rockets simultaneously
- Unnamed unit (War miner or Flak Track) had a 'tunnel mode' where a chainsaw like drill faced the ground. Presumably to go subterranean.

Edited by OmegaBolt, 17 January 2007 - 09:50 AM.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#3 Allied General

Allied General

C&C Guild

• Hosted
  • 6,922 posts
  •  Modder

Posted 17 January 2007 - 09:37 AM

well I mainly mean alternative concepts for a unit or a name like atomic apocalypse tank ;)
Posted Image

#4 Shine On

Shine On

Resident Photographer

• Hosted
  • 3,828 posts
  •  Ex Cameo Maker and Modder

Posted 17 January 2007 - 10:05 AM

Ok i have a few to add here:

Soviets

Tesla Reactor: Was originally going to be the Advanced Nuclear Power Plant

Kirovs: They could originally land

Yuri

Psychic Dominator: Was originally known as the Puppet Master. Also it had a different concept in that you could mind control X units for an amount of time. The more you control, the less time they are controlled for.

Genetic Mutator: That had a different concept where you manually target 8 units (only ones normally affected by mind control)

Gattling Cannon: You could upgrade it to have a third gun (for anti-armor apparently, making it an all-round defensive structure).

Virus: That was cheaper at 400, and with a 'short-term cloaking ability' as well as Sniper Rifle.

Brute: Originally meant to flip over vehicles (one hit kill) and explode into gas when killed.

I'll post some more at another point. I'd also like to point out that i got this info from Speeder. Which was taken from a podcast i think. ;)
Posted Image

#5 Allied General

Allied General

C&C Guild

• Hosted
  • 6,922 posts
  •  Modder

Posted 17 January 2007 - 11:14 AM

unused mouse buttons to indicate actions e.g. squid grapple, no grapple, use disguise (an amusing camera, moustache icon)

psychic sensor could "show" strike area of enemy superweapons, still in game but only rigged to nuke missile afaik

1. www.red-alert3.com
www.red-alert3.com/newspro/newsdat.txt
Published on: 1/10/2001 Last Visited: 1/17/2001

Executive Producer - Mark Skaggs
Skaggs told us the Cubans have a stealth helicopter. No other faction gets it.

And despite worries that the large number of units would imbalance the gameplay, Mark assures us that the team has spent countless hours working against that. (rhino tank anyone, clearly not applied to yuri as well, the reasoning behind tweaking the sides to be generic is just ;))

The AI in skirmish is actually as good as you set it, so if you choose easy, they pose no realy challenge, but if you choose hard, good luck Inever managed to beat them w / hard (in reality the AI is the same engine as TS/RA1 even, i.e. pre-scripted and in fact had less scripts then hard TS AI which was overall better, even though it tended to camp more)

Also clearly this is some dodgy bug but spy disguising as animals is just stupid ... i would just use special_2 armor on them and fix the disguise weapon so you can't target terror drones missiles but not do anything ..
Posted Image

#6 Gosho

Gosho

Go for it!

• Members
  • 780 posts
  • Projects:C&C Mahaira
  •  Doing something hideous, disturbing, anti-social

Posted 17 January 2007 - 01:47 PM

- Yuri had in very early versions an upgradable tech center, where you would buy certain upgrades to get certain units

This sparks my curiosity. Can you tell me more about this?

#7 BobingAbout

BobingAbout

Serious Modder

• Hosted
  • 1,288 posts
  • Projects:R:ROTC, Destructivality, Factorio Mods
  •  Coder

Posted 17 January 2007 - 03:17 PM

probably prerequisite=upgrade, but we all know upgrades can't be prerequisites
Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 Shine On

Shine On

Resident Photographer

• Hosted
  • 3,828 posts
  •  Ex Cameo Maker and Modder

Posted 17 January 2007 - 03:28 PM

Ok some more:

Yuri

Research Junction: Basically Yuri's Battle Lab, but apparently it was said Yuri side was going to go all-out with upgrades for it's structures (hence it's relatively small tech-tree) like TS, and this structure was needed before you could. On it's own it increases the speed at which vehicles are built. It also had three spots of it's own for upgrades (I assume then you can only build one of these structures). This structure was only mentioned as costing 1200, so you were meant to upgrade it. He actually listed some/all of the upgrades too (all cost 500):

Psi-Research Center: I quote: Allows you to build your 'special weapon' (got me here as to what that is), and increases range of all Psi Attacks.

Warfare Research: Allows production of better tanks/infantry (basically the main purpose of the other sides Battle Labs as a seperate component.)

Intelligence Research: Increases armor on defensive structures.

Construction Research: Allows for better buildings (the other half of Warfare Research to make the structure like a normal Battle Lab.)

Chem Research: I'm not sure how this would have worked, but it was said it would 'allow for better weapons.'
Posted Image

#9 Tony

Tony

Damned Machine

• Project Team
  • 108 posts
  • Projects:none.

Posted 17 January 2007 - 03:40 PM

So much named already..hmm..

-Id'e like to point out in the ra2 beginning movie..the flack track( or what appeared to be so) has dual missiles.

- In a ra2 Allied campaign FMV ( forget which one) the rhino tank had 4 sets of tracks like the Apoc

Attached Thumbnails

• banner.jpeg

Edited by Tony, 17 January 2007 - 03:43 PM.

Posted Image

#10 Allied General

Allied General

C&C Guild

• Hosted
  • 6,922 posts
  •  Modder

Posted 17 January 2007 - 09:50 PM

So much named already..hmm..

-Id'e like to point out in the ra2 beginning movie..the flack track( or what appeared to be so) has dual missiles.

- In a ra2 Allied campaign FMV ( forget which one) the rhino tank had 4 sets of tracks like the Apoc

2nd mission when academy is captured, get introduced to rocketeer units and is on this board during Carville's briefing

Trivia - Carville appeared in Retaliation for PS1 which was Counterstrike + Aftermath with FMV his soviet counterpart though did not return for RA2

Also the whole WW2 not happening is wierd due to the borders of post war and arizona, iowa jima memorials

I guess research junction was removed for balanced reasons and probably rushed deadline ... (back of original YR expansion pack mentions chrono prisons ... ugh ..)

This would explain though why Industrial Plant has multiple tags to affect cost of inf, vehicles, aircraft, buildings

Edited by Allied General, 17 January 2007 - 09:54 PM.

Posted Image

#11 lefthand

lefthand

Free Agent

• Members
  • 425 posts
  • Projects:Black Alert
  •  Propagandist

Posted 18 January 2007 - 06:56 AM

- The biogenerator‘s vats, based upon unused concept, contained “digesting solution” that would consume infantry. In theory I suppose the biogenerator received energy from infantry units for a limited time until the sacrificed infantry was completely consumed. The player would have to feed the generators in order to sustain extra power or were used as another method to temporary gain extra power during base expansion.

- The wasp, a Soviet attack chopper, is a constant theme seen in both YR and RA2 concepts. It appears in 3 pieces of concept work but was never used. The locust chopper may have been a pre-wasp concept.

- Soviet barrack's statue "lowers for turtle mode."

- Seen in RA2 concept art, the Soviets might have had a demolition dog that would have been used for attacking tanks. It is titled "Tank Hunting Trained Dog."

- Allies may have had "M22 Mole Mine Deployer", a vehicle that burried mines that would have tunneled their way towards enemy units.

- The Soviet buildings had a constructivist theme to them...it is never applied.

- Offensive propellered aircraft for Allies and Soviets.
Posted Image

#12 TX1138

TX1138

TEXT UNRELATED

• Project Team
  • 866 posts
  • Projects:...
  •  Giant Spectrum Panda

Posted 18 January 2007 - 09:53 AM

-Floating disk was originally armed with a 'tractor beam' of sorts

-There are numerous concept art images of soviet infantry pods

-Strange looking 'gamma' trooper armed with a 'gamma gun' :p reminiscent of the desolator

-Scrapped 'Hammer and Sickle' seismic tank, possibly the successor to the RA1 MAD tank

-And who could forget the infamous Centurion Siege Crawler :p In both Soviet AND Allied schemes!

And more! :D

-Concept art shows most tanks armed with machine guns (most notably the concept prism tank)

-Concept magnetron (labeled in the concept art as 'Tele Tank' had completely different firing system

Edited by TX1138, 18 January 2007 - 10:53 PM.

Posted Image

Realism is so overrated it isn't even funny. You already know what happens in reality, how is that entertaining...?

#13 Speeder

Speeder

#ControlMOre

• Hosted
  • 8,998 posts
  • Projects:Mental Omega
  •  Mental Omega Creator

Posted 18 January 2007 - 10:22 AM

- Yuri was supposed to have his equivalent of dog which would get into enemy infantry and parasite inside it, leaving a gas cloud when killed

- Yuri had a primary defense which besides attacking infantry could immobilize vehicles; MooMan says it was called "Rift Gun"

- Floating Disc's parasiting weapon was primarily used for an infantry unit called "Parasite" which could float just like Rocketeer

- Chaos Drone was supposed to be slower and equipped with better armor, being some kind of a tank rather than a drone

- Boomer was supposed to be build off War Factory and carried with a carryall-thing which would drop it into the water (my guess it is still doable)

- The infamous Chrono Prison in Yuri's Revenge

- Boris' Mig strike was supposed to reload and be controlled via the sidebar, you had to get an upgrade first though

- Fortress Wall for Soviets

- Flak Cannons for the Allies, SAM Sites for the Soviets (YES!)

- Iron Curtain was supposed to cover units which were in it's closest neighbourhood

- Halftrack had guns

- Hind Transport, which was supposed to act like TS Carryall

- Hydrofoil, Sea Scorpion with missiles for both Allies and Soviets

- Rocketeers had a bazooka

- Gap Generator was supposed to have a spinning top animation

- The infamous Light Tank for the Allies

- Pillbox being a Gun Turret

- More cool weapon and turret set for I.F.V. having machine guns as it's basic weapon

- Allied Landing Craft

mainbanner.jpg
bt_left.pngbt_fb.pngbt_yt.pngbt_tw.pngbt_md.pngbt_right.png
115776.png

#14 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 18 January 2007 - 05:30 PM

- French had their own wall type which was heavier than the others..
- Walls were remapable in places
- Russia had its own better version of the Dreadnought
- America had its own better version of the Aircraft Carrier

Posted Image

#15 TX1138

TX1138

TEXT UNRELATED

• Project Team
  • 866 posts
  • Projects:...
  •  Giant Spectrum Panda

Posted 18 January 2007 - 11:10 PM

A few more things:

-Prism Tanks 'comet' prism could originally fragment against buildings

-Prism towers support weapon could zig-zag along friendly towers to charge up another tower from long distances away

-Rules files contain possible code for a V3 cluster missile weapon

-War miner for both sides

I know these last three are graphical but...

-Mirage tank had two very short barrels

-Tesla bolts were much more curly and wavy

-Psychic Tower originally had blue rods

Edited by TX1138, 18 January 2007 - 11:53 PM.

Posted Image

Realism is so overrated it isn't even funny. You already know what happens in reality, how is that entertaining...?

#16 Elerium

Elerium

Road test? Me? But I gotta go save the world!

• Project Team
  • 631 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Temporal Agent

Posted 18 January 2007 - 11:32 PM

Apocalypse tank concepts were that it could initially deploy to bring a large artillery cannon to bear to rain destruction on enemy bases but was dropped in favour of the Seige Chopper.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 Medalmonkey

Medalmonkey

Rumor has it that I'm Awesome.

• Members
  • 477 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 11:37 PM

- - Armory
- Soviet Heavy Bomber (=Harriers, works like spy plane)

- - Infantry
- Soviet Gamma Legion (Renamed: Desolator)
- Soviet Tank Hunting Trained Dog

- - Vehicles
- Soviet Hammer and Sickle Seismic tank
- Soviet Energy Plate Seismic cannon
- Soviet Mammoth Tesla Tank
- Soviet Tank Killer (=Tank Destroyers)
- Soviet Multi-Drone (=Hover IFV, I'd think it cant be mind controlled)
- Soviet Black Widow Drone (Creates Chemical fog, somewhat like virus)
- Yuri Floating MCV
- Yuri Deployable Telekinetic Tank
Posted Image

#18 Rattuskid

Rattuskid

I used to be somebody noteworthy... I think

• Members
  • 1,064 posts
  • Projects:Osmium (mostly dead), Immunizer (crib death) and Spritezkrieg (also crib death)
  •  Rattus Norvegicus (bitch)

Posted 19 January 2007 - 01:21 AM

Also the whole WW2 not happening is wierd due to the borders of post war and arizona, iowa jima memorials

Just because Hitler was removed from time doesn't mean the Japanese couldn't have attacked Pearl Harbor, silly. They started their expansionist campaign in 1929, around the time when old Adolf would have been coming out of prison to get that nice handshake.

- Soviet barrack's statue "lowers for turtle mode."

Oh, it wasn't just the barracks, apparently most if not all soviet base structures were meant to do this. I've seen concept art of similar for the battle lab.

Edited by Rattuskid, 19 January 2007 - 01:22 AM.

Being a total douche.

#19 BobingAbout

BobingAbout

Serious Modder

• Hosted
  • 1,288 posts
  • Projects:R:ROTC, Destructivality, Factorio Mods
  •  Coder

Posted 19 January 2007 - 01:23 PM

turtle mode?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#20 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 19 January 2007 - 01:48 PM

Better defence maybe. There are concepts for the War Factory with AA guns, and the battle lab which was half way under ground.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users