490 replies to this topic

#21 hdh7

hdh7

some random guy

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 09:11 PM

i think there should be a second mumak unit for one of the minifactions
92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature. ROCK ON!!!

I would like to publicy anounce that I'm totaly insane.

I'm the little man living in your ceiling fan. I like it up here.

#22 Guest_Puppeteer_*

Guest_Puppeteer_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2007 - 10:38 PM

In this monumental mod you're making, will the walls still be present around the castles? 'Cos if so, I think the corsairs should have a grapple hook ability to climb up walls. Like in Stronghold 2 the assassins throw a grapple up then climb up. Each corsair should do that, and jump off the wall after wards to get down. That would make them a early/mid game unit harrasing unit.

#23 Alsch

Alsch

title available

• Project Team
  • 392 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 10:43 PM

2 things:

There are still walls. BFME2 was evil to get rid of them.

Also, the corsairs are not going to to that. That's not what their for. However, I believe it was one of the Mirkwood units - the Thirrad, I think - that can.

Edited by Alsch, 19 January 2007 - 10:44 PM.

92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature

No, Jimmy Page is god.

#24 m@tt

m@tt

#######

• Project Team
  • 4,056 posts
  • Projects:The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 19 January 2007 - 11:06 PM

BFME2 did have walls but they were expensive, could be attacked by units, sometimes walked through wtf, and were a waste of time. Not all factions will have walls though. Could staff perhaps tell us which will and wont? Gondor and Rohan already have walls and I'd imagine the Dwarves will too.

Little is mentioned of Harad in the books but that is no excuse to copy BFME2!
Posted Image

#25 zimoo

zimoo

Ecthelion of the Fountain

• Project Team
  • 2,009 posts
  • Projects:Lurking until the off topic begins...
  •  Guardian of the Books

Posted 19 January 2007 - 11:54 PM

I imagine Harad would probably have similar defences to a Rohan camp, just a small fence surrounding certain parts. Of course that is complete speculation, but that's the way I see it.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Playing games? Ah, you'll never be a good modder if you get involved in actually playing them!

#26 Alsch

Alsch

title available

• Project Team
  • 392 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 11:55 PM

Rohan, Gondor, Dwarves, and Dale will have walls. Mirkwood has a very unique "disguise fortress as a forest" defense tecnique, and the others won't, although Harad has yet to be confirmed to not (but it can be safely assumed).
92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature

No, Jimmy Page is god.

#27 Durin The Deathless

Durin The Deathless
  • Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 04:39 AM

On the subject of Khand, my brother and I argue about this often, what were Variags, were they men or some kind of beast, the name just sounds well, wolf-like, Tolkien never specificially says what, but I would assume that if they were just the people of Khand, then wouldn't they be called Khandians, or Men of Khand, or Khandites or something?

#28 Alsch

Alsch

title available

• Project Team
  • 392 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 04:47 AM

They are fast anti-infantry cavalry-mounted soldiers, with dual swords.

No, Jimmy Page is god.

#29 Bard

Bard

Wordsmith, Penman and Scribbler

• Project Team
  • 264 posts
  • Projects:Rhovanion Alliance
  •  Rhovanion Alliance Writer

Posted 20 January 2007 - 11:31 AM

There was no reference of "fire bombs" of any type in the books for Umbar. Though we can speculate that the Black Numenoreans who lived there may have invented (or more likely, brought from Numenor by the King's Men) something similar to Greek Fire in the course of being 'enamoured of the Darkness and the black arts' by Sauron, that might have been picked up by the Gondorian rebels (later Corsairs) who fled there after the Kinstrife. They certainly used *something* to set fire to those buildings and ships, but it might simply just have been ordinary fire from arrows and torches.
Either way, I don't think 'fire bomb'-like projectiles will have much of a chance to get in the Mod.

Not all factions will have walls though. Could staff perhaps tell us which will and wont? Gondor and Rohan already have walls and I'd imagine the Dwarves will too.

Gondor will have walls
Rohan will have walls
Erebor will have walls
Dale will have walls
Mirkwood will have no walls (but an effective stealth ability for the base)
Mordor will have no walls
Isengard will have no walls
Harad will have/had semi-walls (they were originally planned to be implemented by Halbarad)

I doubt that the Corsairs will be able to scale walls (the way they're being planned now by Dain).
Currently, only the Thirrad (Sentinels) of Mirkwood, the Fastweards of Westmark and the Orc Warriors/Archers of Moria can scale walls. Other possible units include the Hasharii and the Rogues.

They are fast anti-infantry cavalry-mounted soldiers, with dual swords.

No, that concept with the two katana-esque blades was never really intended to be used.

On the subject of Khand, my brother and I argue about this often, what were Variags, were they men or some kind of beast, the name just sounds well, wolf-like, Tolkien never specificially says what, but I would assume that if they were just the people of Khand, then wouldn't they be called Khandians, or Men of Khand, or Khandites or something?

Maybe they were an "elite" class or warrior of some sort? But its interesting to note that they hated the light of the sun. Generally, people assume that they were similar to far eastern races or were renegade/akin to Northmen (after the real world Varangians who were sometimes called Variags).

Edited by Bard, 20 January 2007 - 11:35 AM.

Posted Image

The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand.

#30 m@tt

m@tt

#######

• Project Team
  • 4,056 posts
  • Projects:The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 20 January 2007 - 01:47 PM

You sound a bit unsure there Bard :lol:

Festweards, Orc warriors and moria archers scalling walls? Interesting... many more than I expected. Therefore, Mirkwood, Rohan, Mordor and Isengard all have wall scaling units with the possibility of Harad and Dale (Rogues are for Celduin, in Dale's faction, I think...). Unexpected, but I'm not complaining. Players will have to keep their guard at all times with those units around.
Posted Image

#31 Alsch

Alsch

title available

• Project Team
  • 392 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 06:48 PM

I can really see those Thirrad being a pain in the butt, with fire arrows, and their general ownage-ness.

No, Jimmy Page is god.

#32 Bard

Bard

• Project Team
  • 264 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 01:06 AM

You sound a bit unsure there Bard

Of course I do. :)

No I didn't mean the Orc Warriors of Mordor could scale walls, I meant the Orc Warriors and the Orc Archers of Moria (aka Goblin Warriors and Goblin Archers), since RA prefers to use the term 'Moria Orcs' than 'Goblins'.
And yes, Rogues are in the Celduin/East Bight mini-faction and Dale's.
Posted Image

#33 Olorin

Olorin

Mithrandir

• Members
  • 1,579 posts
  •  That wandering conjuror...

Posted 21 January 2007 - 01:08 AM

Exactly how will they 'climb' walls, I'm curious. For the Thirrad I can see it being the Hithlain ropes.

Edited by Olorin, 21 January 2007 - 01:08 AM.

Posted Image

...The Journey doesn't end here; death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass. And then you see it. White shores...and beyond. A far green country, under a swift sunrise...

...Many folk like to know beforehand what is to be set on the table; but those who have laboured to prepare the feast like to keep their secret; for wonder makes the words of praise louder...

...Stand, Men of the West! Stand and wait! This is the hour of doom... ~ Gandalf the White, The Return of the King

#34 Alsch

Alsch

title available

• Project Team
  • 392 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 01:29 AM

For the Goblins, climbing will probably be like how they did in BFME2, with them just using all four limbs to climb, finding nooks to grab.

And HdH7, as for your idea for another mumak, I like that idea, but it's just not feasible. I always liked the idea of a Mumak siege weapon, with a ladder on one side and a little walkway on the other for Haradrim to walk over to the walls. But I digress. One Mumak is enough, and I concede that. So should you.

Edited by Alsch, 21 January 2007 - 01:36 AM.

No, Jimmy Page is god.

#35 hdh7

hdh7

some random guy

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 02:45 AM

yes i agree [sigh] but a mumak seige unit or a faster charging based mumak unit would be cool
92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature. ROCK ON!!!

I would like to publicy anounce that I'm totaly insane.

I'm the little man living in your ceiling fan. I like it up here.

#36 Bard

Bard

• Project Team
  • 264 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 04:39 AM

Exactly how will they 'climb' walls, I'm curious. For the Thirrad I can see it being the Hithlain ropes.

Yes, the Thirrad utilise Hithlain ropes and hooks. Fastweards have a grappling hook and ropes (which also enables them to scale hilly and mountainous terrain). The Moria Orcs just cling on to the walls and climb with their four limbs as said by Alsch.
Posted Image

#37 Canterbury

Canterbury

Master-at-Arms

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 04:52 AM

Does anyone know if they have any siege weapons? Like a balista or they plan on Mumaks to attack gates?
Posted Image

#38 Olorin

Olorin

Mithrandir

• Members
  • 1,579 posts
  •  That wandering conjuror...

Posted 21 January 2007 - 05:21 AM

I think it'll be left to the Mumaks. The Haradrim faction is mainly based on fast raids rather than siege from the looks of it.
Posted Image

...The Journey doesn't end here; death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass. And then you see it. White shores...and beyond. A far green country, under a swift sunrise...

...Many folk like to know beforehand what is to be set on the table; but those who have laboured to prepare the feast like to keep their secret; for wonder makes the words of praise louder...

...Stand, Men of the West! Stand and wait! This is the hour of doom... ~ Gandalf the White, The Return of the King

#39 Bard

Bard

• Project Team
  • 264 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 10:04 AM

They *might* get another siege-type unit in one of their mini-factions.
Posted Image

#40 Alsch

Alsch

title available

• Project Team
  • 392 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 04:29 PM

Oh no now we'll all be anxious.

No, Jimmy Page is god.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users