#41 Celeglin

Celeglin

Silhouette of a Serenade

• Hosted
  • 2,468 posts
  • Projects:The Elven Alliance, Rhovanion Alliance
  •  T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 21 January 2007 - 05:29 PM

On the subject of Khand, my brother and I argue about this often, what were Variags, were they men or some kind of beast, the name just sounds well, wolf-like, Tolkien never specificially says what, but I would assume that if they were just the people of Khand, then wouldn't they be called Khandians, or Men of Khand, or Khandites or something?

"Variag" is a Russian name for "Varangians" (info). So there's your possible etymology. Aside from that, I don't know/care (let's say evil men never intested me much).

Posted Image
Posted Image

#42 messenger

messenger
  • Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 05:44 PM

Are you using the Gamesworkshop Variags as a template?

#43 Nertea

Nertea

...lo sa raptor!

• Hosted
  • 3,349 posts
  • Projects:Star Villains and Space heroes, The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:BFME/Unity

Posted 21 January 2007 - 06:26 PM

Not really. Might use some design elements, but I don't really like them.

sig.png
I really don't do requests and my Arnor Soldier is not fit for BFME. Don't ask me for either.

#44 Durin The Deathless

Durin The Deathless
  • Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 07:06 PM

In the book (not books it's just one) it says that the siege towers were pulled by mumaks, not pushed by trolls, are you guys gonna redo the mordor siege towers or just add new ones for Harad?

#45 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

No sex please, we're Dwarves

• Hosted
  • 1,655 posts
  • Projects:The Peninsular War
  •  I aten't dead.

Posted 21 January 2007 - 08:19 PM

Pulled by Mumak? Are you sure you didn't dream that up...

Anyway no.. siege towers are pushed by trolls. Proper siege tower trolls if you look at the shots.

Dain: Arr Nertea: yarrrr Dain: haharrrr Nertea: graaawwwr Dain: oaaaaaaaarr Nertea: .... honk?

#46 Alsch

Alsch

title available

• Project Team
  • 392 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 09:44 PM

Where did you read Mumaks pulled them?
92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature

No, Jimmy Page is god.

#47 Celeglin

Celeglin

Silhouette of a Serenade

• Hosted
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 09:05 AM

The Return of the King, The Siege of Gondor:

There came great beasts, like moving houses in the red and fitful light, the mumakil of Harad dragging through the lanes amid the fires huge towers and engines.

That being said, I find the idea of trolls pushing the siege towers (rather than mumakil pulling them) a much more asthetic and strategic option (pulling something up against a wall isn't exactly easy, as opposed to pushing). In the books, these towers were more to keep the forces of Minas Tirith preoccupied, leaving the gate free. For our purposes, it is necessary that we have these towers be transported as efficiently as possible, especially as Grond won't be available to the normal player to obliterate any gate they come across (as was the case in Tolkien's siege of Minas Tirith).

Posted Image
Posted Image

#48 Bard

Bard

Wordsmith, Penman and Scribbler

• Project Team
  • 264 posts
  • Projects:Rhovanion Alliance
  •  Rhovanion Alliance Writer

Posted 22 January 2007 - 09:12 AM

Darn, Cel got to it first. :blink:

Edited by Bard, 22 January 2007 - 09:13 AM.

Posted Image

The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand.

#49 Celeglin

Celeglin

Silhouette of a Serenade

• Hosted
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 09:13 AM

I've been on a role with this stuff lately :blink: .

Posted Image
Posted Image

#50 messenger

messenger
  • Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 03:51 PM

Tut tut, posting LOTR on a gaming forum :blink:.

#51 Uruk King

Uruk King

Lore-abiding citizen

• Project Team
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 07:33 PM

I think it'll be left to the Mumaks. The Haradrim faction is mainly based on fast raids rather than siege from the looks of it.

That's too bad because I used to like the Mumakil but the fact that they fall quickly to fire arrows, they are painfully slow and couldn't heal themselves like the Olog-hai, and then they got crappier in BFME II. If I were the haradrim against gondor the best way to bust the way in would be to get a Mumak and keep it alive for as long as I could until I attack the fortress
I will remember Rhovanion Alliance, RIP .

Posted Image

#52 m@tt

m@tt

#######

• Project Team
  • 4,056 posts
  • Projects:The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 22 January 2007 - 08:04 PM

Issues like that probably will have been addressed.
Posted Image

#53 Canterbury

Canterbury

Master-at-Arms

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 08:33 PM

Lol just think about how it will work. Mumakils pulls siege towers to the walls of minas tirith. Then what? Releases its chains and go to the back of the tower and push the towers forward so they it can reach to the walls? They will go crazy with all the arrows before it reaches the walls.
Posted Image

#54 hdh7

hdh7

some random guy

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 09:18 PM

can troops be killed by a falling/dying mumak?
92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature. ROCK ON!!!

I would like to publicy anounce that I'm totaly insane.

I'm the little man living in your ceiling fan. I like it up here.

#55 m@tt

m@tt

#######

• Project Team
  • 4,056 posts
  • Projects:The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 22 January 2007 - 10:01 PM

I would have thought so. Doesnt that already happen more or less?
Posted Image

#56 Alsch

Alsch

title available

• Project Team
  • 392 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 10:54 PM

can troops be killed by a falling/dying mumak?

All the time. Ally or enemy troops are instantly killed by one.

I think it'll be left to the Mumaks. The Haradrim faction is mainly based on fast raids rather than siege from the looks of it.

That's too bad because I used to like the Mumakil but the fact that they fall quickly to fire arrows, they are painfully slow and couldn't heal themselves like the Olog-hai, and then they got crappier in BFME II. If I were the haradrim against gondor the best way to bust the way in would be to get a Mumak and keep it alive for as long as I could until I attack the fortress

I agree with this, as Mumaks are so incredibly slow and they get pwnd by arrows ridiculously fast. All other siege weapons are either resistant to missile fire or ranged. I'm afraid that Mumaks as a sole siege weapon just wouldn't work.
92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature

No, Jimmy Page is god.

#57 Celeglin

Celeglin

Silhouette of a Serenade

• Hosted
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 11:17 PM

Sorry to plug, but try out my The Elven Alliance Mod. In it, Mumak speed has been increased by a goodly amount. Try them out, and let us know if what you think. If the reception is good, we'll see about implementing it into our Mumak changes for RA.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#58 hdh7

hdh7

some random guy

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 11:27 PM

good i thought they probably could but i havn't played bfme in a while so i wasn't shure
92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature. ROCK ON!!!

#59 hdh7

hdh7

some random guy

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 12:44 AM

uh I know this topic was pretty much dead but I think there is a bit more discusion to be done here. what do you think about Khand and far harad? What type of units should they have what strategies should they have. Moders please coment if willing.

#60 Alsch

Alsch

title available

• Project Team
  • 392 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 01:50 AM

I'm no modder, but I'm fairly certain that Khand will be a cavalry mini-faction, and Far Harad will offer the half-trolls of far harad, basically dark-skinned troll sized men. They are heavy units.

No, Jimmy Page is god.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users