Detectors

4 replies to this topic

#1 Kaiser Soze

Kaiser Soze
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 10:22 AM

Hi,
I do not have yet your 2.2 version, so this may be a fixed bug but in 2.0 and 2.1 there is a problem with detectors.

When the Ai is deciding whether or not build detectors it reads the whole list of detectors checking if they are already built. The problem is that if the detector is built but its attached to a squad it returns that the number of units is 0, so it thinks it doesn't have the detector built and tries to built this detector and when it fails it tries to built the next on the list. This has happen to me with Chaos Lord.

It is not a big issue since the only backwards is that the Ai build more detector, but I just wanted to pointed it out in case you didn't know yet.

#2 ArkhanTheBlack

ArkhanTheBlack

title available

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 11:39 AM

I think you're right. And no, it's not fixed in 2.2. I didn't recognize the problem until now. But I don't think it's a big issue and since it's not easy fixed it's probably best to let it the way it it is now. :p

#3 Kaiser Soze

Kaiser Soze
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 11:52 AM

Yep I think that too.
Because my next question will be than built just 1 detector doesn't seems to be enough sometimes :p

#4 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts
  • Projects:DoW AI Scripting Project
  • Division:DoW
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 24 January 2007 - 03:33 PM

Curious: why is this a problem? If the AI has, say, the ChaosLord built, but thinks it does not, then builds other detectors.. surely thats not a bad thing? More detectors the better especially if the first detectors are killed off at least you have more in the field. Is this not more an asset?
Advanced Skirmish AI Team Lead for the coolest Warhammer40k PC RTS out there:

Dawn of War Advanced AI Headquarters

Latest DoW Advanced AI Download!

#5 Kaiser Soze

Kaiser Soze
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 10:15 AM

Well, more detector the better is not exactly true.
surely one detector may not be enough.
but spent resources on skulls instead of another things may be wasted them once you have enough.

The problem is that there is no magic number of detectors needed, so I don't think there is a point improving this function. Based on my test the Ai do not build too much detectors, so no problem. I just wanted to point this bug in case you have a fixed number of detectors you were aiming at, because the bug will make the AI build more than that number.
Right now the function always tries to have 1 detector unattached. and I've said, I don't see a problem with that.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users