#1 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 22 May 2003 - 06:44 PM

What's everyone's thoughts on the subject of cloning? I was just watching this programme that I taped, and it sparked some ethical thoughts in my mind.

I see no point and no justification in cloning. It's totally wrong and also a worthless expense of Science's time. It would be better spent trying to find cures for cancer, AIDs, a safer MMR, etc. It would be better spent trying to right the wrongs the human race has caused (cleaning up our act and cutting pollution), rebuilding the forests we've destroyed so callously and wiping out the famines and poverties across the world. Cloning has no place in this society, as the clone would have no rights, no place, no worth. Can you imagine another one of yourself? Can you imagine the horror at another George Bush?
To resurrect the dead would mean that the human population would never drop, as it were. People would never die, and we'd clog the world up even faster.
To use it to create genetically engineered people is equally immoral and would render the males of the species obsolete (and then how would the ladies get their fun?)

What are everyone else's views on this subject?

#2 Tom

Tom

title available

• Undead
  • 8,475 posts
  • Projects:Life
  •  Co-Founder of Revora

Posted 22 May 2003 - 08:52 PM

We clog up the world anyway. It ain't dropping. ITs growing.

If you can get cures for AIDs or Cancer then yes but if not its a waste.

#3 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 23 May 2003 - 02:24 AM

Um, AIDS and cancer would be stem cell research, not cloning. I think stem cell research is a good idea, but of course, my stupid hick president won't allow it. I Bush is so damn stupid sometimes it's amazing. HE CAN'T EVEN PRONOUNCE THE WORD NUCLEAR!!!!!!

NZ.org | BBPCG
Discord: The Astronomer#1314
Steam

#4 dancam

dancam

Phoenix Rises!

• Undead
  • 2,278 posts
  •  Ex Network Leader

Posted 23 May 2003 - 09:22 AM

hehe.... trust the Americans...
Dan

#5 Deathblow Luc

Deathblow Luc

Unique

• Undead
  • 3,768 posts
  • Division:Ex - Network Leader

Posted 23 May 2003 - 02:08 PM

IMO; Human must be let to evolve by its own means and moral. If they choose the wrong way, let them experience the consequences. If we are truely souls in physical manifestations, it will affect our experience, enhancing our conscience´s knowledge, and in the end, although the human specie may not develop correctly, many sould would have learnt what they shouldnt do...

Margret Thatcher - Fenring's the one for me

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#6 Tom

Tom

title available

• Undead
  • 8,475 posts
  •  Co-Founder of Revora

Posted 23 May 2003 - 04:04 PM

IMO; Human must be let to evolve by its own means and moral. If they choose the wrong way, let them experience the consequences. If we are truely souls in physical manifestations, it will affect our experience, enhancing our conscience´s knowledge, and in the end, although the human specie may not develop correctly, many sould would have learnt what they shouldnt do...

i was going to say that :p

#7 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 25 May 2003 - 11:30 AM

I'm not even sure as I fully understand what he said, personally...

It seemed somewhat religious, therefore I probably won't get it as I am an atheist.
I don't believe in a soul, and as such I think cloning is possible but pointless. It would result in normal human beings (after the inital failures and mutants).

Personally, I think that illness and disease, which we try so hard to eradicate totally from existence, is what keeps our population from exploding too violently. If we rid the entire world totally of disease, then there will be literally nothing to kill us off except old age.
Now, as strange as this sounds, that's a bad thing. I make all apologies to those who know people with terminal illnesses, and what I say you might find offensive, but if your number's up, your number's up. That's it, fate hath dealt thee a wild card. Without these illnesses taking the odd life here and there, we would have drained our own resources a couple of hundred years ago, and the planet would be unable to sustain us. We have no natural predators, nothing to keep us in check. Except that which infects us. And ourselves.

#8 ReaKon

ReaKon

title available

• Members
  • 409 posts

Posted 25 May 2003 - 04:39 PM

Um, AIDS and cancer would be stem cell research, not cloning. I think stem cell research is a good idea, but of course, my stupid hick president won't allow it. I Bush is so damn stupid sometimes it's amazing. HE CAN'T EVEN PRONOUNCE THE WORD NUCLEAR!!!!!!

LOL, i read somewhere that he only has an IQ of 95!

Thats only 15 more than des0 :lol: j/k

i dont see much point in cloning, it is a way of 'playing God' so to speak. Juman life is not something that we should be able to create, it should be natural!

#9 MaperRiz

MaperRiz

title available

• Members
  • 559 posts

Posted 26 May 2003 - 10:12 AM

Well my IQ is 150. So I'm 3/2 smarter than him...
Hoooiyyy~

You'd think I wouldn't come, eh?

I'm baaaaaackkk!!!

#10 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 26 May 2003 - 12:24 PM

3/2? You mean 1 and 1/2 as smart.

Dumbass (j/k) :rofl:

Bush's IQ has a 9 in it, but it's not 95.

More like 9.5.

Anyway, this isn't a topic dissing Bush, or even Des0 (altho many threads end up dissing them).
This is about cloning!

#11 Rygar

Rygar

title available

• Hosted
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 26 May 2003 - 03:46 PM

well Riz you can be theoretically a member of Mensa International (High IQ society), My IQ was 156 so I was a member for some years then I left because the lack of interest. BTW I think there's a lot of misinformation about human cloning.

First of all it's impossible to clone a human being. It's still too complicate to make human replicants.

Second: it's impossible to clone attitude or character or skill or talents etc... these aren't genetically reproduceable so if Bush wants to make a clone, his clone may be a Buddha or a jenius or a totally different person, same thing for a new Mozart or Einstein.

The only positive application for cloning is for medical purpose: if your kidneys are seriousely damaged you can use YOUR DNA to make new compatible kidneys. In this way there are no risk and you don't need external donators.
Together with best modders since 2003.

#12 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 26 May 2003 - 04:21 PM

well Riz you can be theoretically a member of Mensa International (High IQ society), My IQ was 156 so I was a member for some years then I left because the lack of interest.

How do I join? I know I've got a high-ish IQ, and I wondered how I could try out...

First of all it's impossible to clone a human being. It's still too complicate to make human replicants.

I don't see how. They have already cloned other mammals. Humans are mammals, therefore the process should be relatively similar.

Second: it's impossible to clone attitude or character or skill or talents etc... these aren't genetically reproduceable so if Bush wants to make a clone, his clone may be a Buddha or a jenius or a totally different person, same thing for a new Mozart or Einstein.

True, but intelligence aptitude and potential is genetic. If one has no potential, how can one achieve? Bush has no potential hence his brain is about that of a tree shrew.

The only positive application for cloning is for medical purpose: if your kidneys are seriousely damaged you can use YOUR DNA to make new compatible kidneys. In this way there are no risk and you don't need external donators.

True. But imagine how long it would take to grow a suitable organ that was at the correct developmental stage to be useful to the person. If someone is 34 and they need an organ to be grown froms scratch, it will take some time to form, no?

#13 Rygar

Rygar

title available

• Hosted
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 26 May 2003 - 05:02 PM

How do I join? I know I've got a high-ish IQ, and I wondered how I could try out...

try to go here www.mensa.com, make a test and maybe you shall be accepted. I hope you can find more interesting people than I've met.

I don't see how. They have already cloned other mammals. Humans are mammals, therefore the process should be relatively similar.

There are several problems, actually Dolly suffers genetic illnesses and its life is seriously compromized (gets old in few time, doesn't have a regular metabolism etc...). For human beings things are more complicates. Human DNA is harder to decode than a Sheep DNA.

True, but intelligence aptitude and potential is genetic. If one has no potential, how can one achieve? Bush has no potential hence his brain is about that of a tree shrew.

Remember that intelligence can be improved with good education, with a different culture, etc....... even if a child suffers a low IQ or has few potentials he may be better with good teachers and if he find interests

True. But imagine how long it would take to grow a suitable organ that was at the correct developmental stage to be useful to the person. If someone is 34 and they need an organ to be grown froms scratch, it will take some time to form, no?

I have no idea, the only answer is from Genoma, it's the key for a correct development. I'm not a medic but I think the 34 years old man can have a finset alternative if his new organ is younger.

#14 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 26 May 2003 - 05:44 PM

Yes, but not if the organ is like 3 weeks old.

#15 Tom

Tom

title available

• Undead
  • 8,475 posts
  •  Co-Founder of Revora

Posted 26 May 2003 - 06:23 PM

CJ Maper could be 150% smarter than Bush. Anyone can. :lol:

#16 Rygar

Rygar

title available

• Hosted
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 11:30 AM

Yes, but not if the organ is like 3 weeks old.

Noone wants to use it, cloned organ is "fresh"

#17 MaperRiz

MaperRiz

title available

• Members
  • 559 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 11:41 AM

To fully clone a human body, you need the thread #49673 of initial Dna from the sperm and egg, taken from the nucleuse from the counter-peice of the Entrico Cell and duplicate it into the Acidinomicus Substance, then disorted into about 23 billion Genetic Strings about 400 times the diameter of the Milky Way, yet too small to be seen by the eye. Then re-order it to code using the amminosiper cell as a base. Then the order set into a fully functional human cell, set and replaced in the nucleuse.

As you can see, it is nearly impossible. :oops:
Hoooiyyy~

I'm baaaaaackkk!!!

#18 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 01:23 PM

:p :? Did anyone get a word of that? :)

Sorry mate, but thats waaay over my head, and I'm the smartest person in my school (and that includes the majority of the teachers). Genetic science is not one of my strong subjects...

#19 MaperRiz

MaperRiz

title available

• Members
  • 559 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 01:29 PM

I'll bet very few people even bothered to read all that. And yes, I do study science a lot, thats an example.
Hoooiyyy~

I'm baaaaaackkk!!!

#20 Rygar

Rygar

title available

• Hosted
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 04:03 PM

For these (and other) reasons human cloning is impossible as I said

0 user(s) are reading this topic