Unit's firing range.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Grad_*

Guest_Grad_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2007 - 10:38 AM

Priviat.

I just wanted to ask if the unit's firing range is going to be modified and to what extent, since the name of the mod is real war, and one of the most unlikable feature in zero hour is the limited range, of tank units, even more so the range of artillery, both ballistic and conventional, and rocket.

Thank you in advance.

#2 AlexArt

AlexArt
  • Hosted
  • 209 posts
  • Projects:Real War Mod
  •  Programmer =)...

Posted 11 February 2007 - 12:22 PM

All I can say for now is that real war's firing range will be approximately 3 times more then vanilla range (150 feet VS 450 feet or so)
Posted Image
© Real War Mod 2004-2006.

#3 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2007 - 12:35 PM

All I can say for now is that real war's firing range will be approximately 3 times more then vanilla range (150 feet VS 450 feet or so)

Thank you, but in order to do this, don't you think the maps need to be even bigger than usual, and is that increase of range is the same to artillery units or is it going to have even longer range?

#4 Dexter

Dexter
  • Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 01:14 PM

AlexArt was obviously referring to artillery ranges. Direct fire ranges are going to be somewhat similar to C&C: Generals and other RTS games, maybe slightly longer. To increase them further would mean ruining the gameplay.

Edited by Dexter, 11 February 2007 - 01:15 PM.

#5 AlexArt

AlexArt
  • Hosted
  • 209 posts
  •  Programmer =)...

Posted 11 February 2007 - 08:23 PM

AlexArt was obviously referring to artillery ranges. Direct fire ranges are going to be somewhat similar to C&C: Generals and other RTS games, maybe slightly longer. To increase them further would mean ruining the gameplay.

Actually I was talking about average firing range. In vanilla Generals tanks had firing range of 150 ft, infantry - 100 ft, long-range artillery had firing range of 300 ft, and jets were capable of firing at 300 ft. This gives us an average fire range of appr. 175 feet. In Real War Mod, we're increasing the overall firing range to make the player feel a different experience during the gameplay. Instead of watching the fire exchange between your units and your opponent's units at such miserably small distances as 150 feet are (or 50 meters, whichever definition you like) you will be supposed to make your forces always moving and maneuvering to find a better position on the battlefield. Finding a better position on the field will ensure a better survavability for your army and more accurate and heavy fire at the enemy.
And finally to the numbers. As I already mentioned, the overall firing range will increase about 3 times. This actually means that firing range for armoured units will be around 350 ft, for infantry appr. 175 ft, for long-range artillery (including rocket batteries) up to 550 ft, and for airplanes up to 450 ft. This won't kill the balance or the gameplay itself, but would create a bit different experience ingame.
Posted Image

#6 Dexter

Dexter
  • Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 12:40 PM

Direct fire ranges will be limited to 300ft (which is not that long, compared to other RTS games (not C&CG)), and no longer, this is my final word.

To increase them further would mean ruining the gameplay.

As for the long range artillery - Smerch is going to fire at dramatic ranges, about 1000ft, if Alex's measurment is correct. The range of airplane missiles will vary, depending on the missile type.

#7 Guest_Grad_*

Guest_Grad_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2007 - 05:22 PM

Direct fire ranges will be limited to 300ft (which is not that long, compared to other RTS games (not C&CG)), and no longer, this is my final word.

To increase them further would mean ruining the gameplay.

As for the long range artillery - Smerch is going to fire at dramatic ranges, about 1000ft, if Alex's measurment is correct. The range of airplane missiles will vary, depending on the missile type.

Thank you, but if the firing range is going to be increased, at such a rate, is the map size going to be subsequently increased, to accomodate the new firing range? Especially sine you plan on having mlrs units such as the smerch fire at a range of a thousand feet, which is reasonnable considering the units purpous. And what about ssm, ssbm units, if you plan on adding them, such as the Iskaner or Gladiator?

Please forgive if i ask too much questions, but this forum, seems inactive, and i thought i could put a bit of activitie in it.

#8 AlexArt

AlexArt
  • Hosted
  • 209 posts
  •  Programmer =)...

Posted 13 February 2007 - 03:08 PM

Thank you, but if the firing range is going to be increased, at such a rate, is the map size going to be subsequently increased, to accomodate the new firing range?

Yes, considerably.

Please forgive if i ask too much questions, but this forum, seems inactive, and i thought i could put a bit of activitie in it.

Just go on, you're doing the right thing. :p
Posted Image

#9 Dexter

Dexter
  • Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 04:20 PM

Both Gladiator (if it's actually S-300, i am now familiar with "wrong" names) and Iskander are in, as tier 3 AA, and superweapon respectively.

#10 Guest_Grad_*

Guest_Grad_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2007 - 08:33 PM

Both Gladiator (if it's actually S-300, i am now familiar with "wrong" names) and Iskander are in, as tier 3 AA, and superweapon respectively.

I should have said Sa-10 "grumble", is that the correct name? or is it the nato codename for the S-300 PMU1? What i meant to ask about the S-300 was how it's range, or the range of aa units going to change, and how will it affect air unit combat?

Of topic, about a tier one or two aa unit, how about adding the Tor M1 instead of an old cold war aa unit?, there's already another mod hanleding weapons from that era ( Cold War Crisis).

#11 Guest_Guest_Marine_*_*

Guest_Guest_Marine_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2007 - 09:13 PM

Well I'm pretty sure the Tunguska will be used in tier 2.

#12 Dexter

Dexter
  • Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 01:23 PM

I should have said Sa-10 "grumble", is that the correct name? or is it the nato codename for the S-300 PMU1?

All nato nicknames are wrong to me :p

What i meant to ask about the S-300 was how it's range, or the range of aa units going to change, and how will it affect air unit combat?

Well, S-300 isn't going to be a regular AA unit. Others units will have shorter ranges.
Also i should remind that all this "range" thing is going to be defined as we'll start internal beta testing.

there's already another mod hanleding weapons from that era ( Cold War Crisis).

Tunguska isn't cold war era vehicle, and i believe CWC doesn't have it.

#13 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2007 - 02:36 PM

I should have said Sa-10 "grumble", is that the correct name? or is it the nato codename for the S-300 PMU1?

All nato nicknames are wrong to me :p

What i meant to ask about the S-300 was how it's range, or the range of aa units going to change, and how will it affect air unit combat?

Well, S-300 isn't going to be a regular AA unit. Others units will have shorter ranges.
Also i should remind that all this "range" thing is going to be defined as we'll start internal beta testing.

there's already another mod hanleding weapons from that era ( Cold War Crisis).

Tunguska isn't cold war era vehicle, and i believe CWC doesn't have it.

So Grumble isn't he correct name for it? then what is it? "PMU"?

Actually tunguska is a cold war era vehicule since it was designed in 1986 Warfare.ru, but the same goes for the Tor M1, since it was designed in 1988, i just realised that, warfare.ru. But you could think of it this way, that neither of them entered service until after the cold war.

#14 Guest_Grad_*

Guest_Grad_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2007 - 02:40 PM

Forgot to put my name, just wanted to say that the last post was mine.

#15 Dexter

Dexter
  • Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 03:18 PM

S-300PMU. That's all.

Actually tunguska is a cold war era vehicule since it was designed in 1986

I know this (well). But does it make it cold war era vehicle? I guess not - it didn't fully enter service untill 1989, and it was already the end of the cold war. I mean, it never was one of the cold war symbols.

#16 Guest_Grad._*

Guest_Grad._*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2007 - 04:02 PM

S-300PMU. That's all.

Actually tunguska is a cold war era vehicule since it was designed in 1986

I know this (well). But does it make it cold war era vehicle? I guess not - it didn't fully enter service untill 1989, and it was already the end of the cold war. I mean, it never was one of the cold war symbols.

I have an idea, since the us is getting the f22 raptor, which is a stealh aircraft, how about giving the Russians instead of the s-300 the s-400, since the s-400 has the capability to detect stealth aircrafts? makes more realistic don't you think? And i don't think there's much difference in appearance between the s-300 and the s-400.

#17 Dexter

Dexter
  • Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 04:08 PM

S-400, i believe, is an alternative designation of S-300PMU2.

#18 Guest_Grad_*

Guest_Grad_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2007 - 04:18 PM

S-400, i believe, is an alternative designation of S-300PMU2.

I thought you were going to add the s-300 PMU1, my mistake.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users