Photo

Your relationship with Relic?

15 replies to this topic

#1 Adolphus Perrywinkle the 13th

Adolphus Perrywinkle the 13th
  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 12:20 AM

Just out of my own curiosity; do you people have a some kind of a dialog with Relic; that is, are they aware of your existance to some degree? Do they have a hand in all your in-depth knowledge of the inner workings of the game's AI? I vividly remember that reeking anal prolapse that was DC's vanilla AI, and how it stands as an absolute low in RTS AIs ever. Most EA games on average had better computer AI than that, which is actually frightening beyond all comprehension when you think about it. And on that note:

I've heard from somewhere, (Possibly when lurking this forum), that the AI for DC had a whole lot of functions that were never actually used by the AI. Which serves as a kind of an evidence that they figured they'd save some time making the game's included AI a kind of a basic foundation, laying down the baseline for a lot of functions while leaving it for you people to do the rest.

One of my reasons for assuming this would be that the original DoW, (Before some of the patches), had pretty good AI for its time, but as time progressed, the game's AI went from the decent level it had usually had been in, to the abysmal level we know today, "peaking" at an all-time low with DC. To the best of my knowledge, the AI started souering with the 1.3/1.4 patch of the original DoW; around the time this group had recieved a lot of fame. Also, CoH has... fairly good AI - it's not bad, at least - and that game does not have any AI modding community such as this one, which could indicate that Relic had to make the AI good enough from the get-go.

So... am I only rambling, here? Or is there some truth in my simple, little assumptions? Thatks for having payed attention thus far. :p

Edited by Adolphus Perrywinkle the 13th, 25 February 2007 - 12:20 AM.

#2 ArkhanTheBlack

ArkhanTheBlack

title available

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 01:35 PM

Just out of my own curiosity; do you people have a some kind of a dialog with Relic; that is, are they aware of your existance to some degree?

They know that we exist and we report them AI bugs from time to time.

#3 Corsix

Corsix

Code Monkey

• Hosted
  • 290 posts
  • Projects:DoW AI, DoW Mod Studio
  •  Blue Text :)

Posted 25 February 2007 - 03:19 PM

CoH has... fairly good AI - it's not bad, at least - and that game does not have any AI modding community

There is an AI mod for CoH
Posted Image

#4 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts
  • Projects:DoW AI Scripting Project
  • Division:DoW
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 25 February 2007 - 03:27 PM

Relic, like all PC gaming companies DOES NOT think AI is important. This will change, however, when the industry "gets it" like its gotten it with graphics and physics these many years. Hell.. someday gameplay might actually figure in more prominently too. :lol:

Relic won't ever include our work in their copyright material - too many legal issues and such. We're happy the way things are BUT Relic can help us open up more AI functionality for the future. DoW2 might be just that - we don't know.

Thanks Adolphus for your interest.. alot is always going on to make this all tremendous exciting! :D
Advanced Skirmish AI Team Lead for the coolest Warhammer40k PC RTS out there:

Dawn of War Advanced AI Headquarters

Latest DoW Advanced AI Download!

#5 dctrjons

dctrjons
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 09:52 PM

Stardock gets it. But yeah can't 'sell' AI. It's hard to see the difference beween AI and cheating. Like Farcry, wasn't really impressed until I used debug cheat and you can actually see the AI looking for you and where they think you are. It's just hard to show and make good AI.

They will start looking at it when more companies step up to the plate and AI actually become a competing factor. We're not there yet.

#6 Adolphus Perrywinkle the 13th

Adolphus Perrywinkle the 13th
  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 01:00 AM

@ Thudo and dctrjons:

I've heard Command & Conquer 3 has got a lot of stuff going for it as regards to the AI; but it being an EA game, I have my doubts... Also, UT 2007 will be out God knows when, and they have so far bragged their AI to death. Other than that, we have Armed Assault, Supreme Commander, and a few more - it seems developers have gradually begun to take some level of interest to the AI/bot phenomenon; at least more than before. At the very least it seems there has been taken a step in the right direction...

Anyways; Thanks for replying.

There is an AI mod for CoH

Just an individual mod, or an entire dedicated community based around it such as this?

Edited by Adolphus Perrywinkle the 13th, 01 March 2007 - 12:49 PM.

#7 ThetaOrion

ThetaOrion

title available

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 09:22 AM

THUD: Relic, like all PC gaming companies DOES NOT think AI is important. This will change, however, when the industry "gets it" like its gotten it with graphics and physics these many years. Hell.. someday gameplay might actually figure in more prominently too.

--

Our beloved Thudmeizer is both right and wrong, here.

He is right when he says that PC gaming companies DO NOT think that AI is important.

I have been playing Supreme Commander for a couple of days in Skirmish Mode. I thought that the Dark Crusade Plain Vanilla AI was some of the saddest AI that had ever seen, but the Supreme Commander AI is really horrible, some of the worst AI I have seen in a long time.

With Relic and Dark Crusade, you got lots of little pesky flaws, and a couple of huge flaws that bordered on gamebreaking.

But, with SupCom, you have AI allies that pump out lots of troops and buildings, but stop exploring once their distant builders are gone. In SupCom, you can see lots of instances where the AI stops tiering up or teching up as they call it. But worst of all, your AI ally will often build lots of troops and bots and tanks and stuff, and then just stand them in a line in their base for the whole game, and they never move again. They just stand there doing nothing while your bases are overrun and they just keep on standing. In fact, in my last game, the AI ally produced a handful of air units, lost them, and never produced any more, or none that I ever saw. I thought the DC AI was bad, but the SupCom AI has some HUGE gamebreaking flaws -- an AI that often just stands there and never moves for a whole two hours. Ugh!!

And, over at SupCom there's no ArkhanTheGreat and no Oddball Fanatical Thudmeizer there to make sure that the AI is going to be good someday a year from now. Relic has no idea how lucky they are that Thud and Arkhan chose to put their efforts and time into their game.

Thud is dead 'wrong' when he says, "This will change, however, when the industry "gets it" like its gotten it with graphics and physics these many years."

They are NOT going to get it ever, when it comes to the AI -- the trends just aren't going that way! Every RTS game that comes out the past couple of years seems to have a worse AI than the RTS before it. WA was worse than DoW, and DC was worse than WA, and SupCom is worse than DC, and that's the trend. And, there's lots of complaints about the SupCom campaign too, no depth. In fact, the way it's going now, in a few years, the 'industry' will be releasing games that have NO AI and no campaign and NO skirmish mode. They will expect you to play their RTS games online against other humans in order to experience 'intelligence' from the game. That's the way it seems to be going for real, if any of my recent observations have any merit or accuracy whatsoever. At some point, most games released won't even have an AI to speak of -- they will all be meant to be played online, and I suppose the vast majority of the gameplayers won't even complain about it when it happens.

I'm beginning to think that offline Skirmish Mode gameplayers who love a great AI and who actually play against the AI are a dying breed. We are dinosaurs, a dying race, who will probably someday go extinct. I tell you, it's getting to the point already where I find myself thinking that I'm just going to stop buying computer games and stop playing them altogether. As the AI gets worse and worse in each of these games that comes out, there's no more strategy in RTS to be found from offline Skirmish Mode gameplay. Only if Thud and Arkhan were to show up at the SupCom forums and throw their weight behind the AI there do I have any real hope that the SupCom AI is ever going to be any good in that game -- most of the players are already playing SupCom online, as that appears to be the only place where the gameplay is really good right now in that game. And, I have no desire to play a multiplayer online game, ever. It just doesn't interest me.

Oh well, gotta get off my soapbox, not that anyone cares what I have to say anyway!

#8 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 03:18 PM

They are NOT going to get it ever, when it comes to the AI -- the trends just aren't going that way! Every RTS game that comes out the past couple of years seems to have a worse AI than the RTS before it. WA was worse than DoW, and DC was worse than WA, and SupCom is worse than DC, and that's the trend. And, there's lots of complaints about the SupCom campaign too, no depth. In fact, the way it's going now, in a few years, the 'industry' will be releasing games that have NO AI and no campaign and NO skirmish mode. They will expect you to play their RTS games online against other humans in order to experience 'intelligence' from the game. That's the way it seems to be going for real, if any of my recent observations have any merit or accuracy whatsoever. At some point, most games released won't even have an AI to speak of -- they will all be meant to be played online, and I suppose the vast majority of the gameplayers won't even complain about it when it happens.

Yer actually quite wrong: play SC (final release) and you'll see the AI is actually not bad - its just the game itself is kinda boring (lacking variations and personality per side).

BUT..

The forthcoming C&C3 does have excellent Skirmish AI, in fact it adapts to the other player now dynamically! There are a few quirks but those can be modded in I believe. So yes.. there are some games now coming out that do look at Skirmish AI more acutely - this is quite refreshing.

#9 ThetaOrion

ThetaOrion

title available

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 02:35 AM

I have actually been playing the SC Final Release and brand new patch 3220 -- horrific AI!

In SupCom, the AI controlled submarines get to their rally point and sit there the whole game. They don't come hunting for your Naval Factory. The AI allies hardly EVER build past Tech 1 or Tier 1, they stagnate and get outscored 10 to 1 by the end of an average game. The Air Transports don't pick up anything and transport them when controlled by the AI. The AI builds land units instead of Air and Sea units on an Island Map or a Sea Map, ten times as many land units, and if it's an AI ally, it never builds anything past Tech 1 land units on a Sea map. Nasty, horrible, AI, in SupCom!

And, that's just the general AI. If you get into the more specialized AI or the original 3189 AI, the Aeon AI ally would build all of its units and put them in the upper left corner of the map where there was nothing there, and they just stood there for two hours while my base was being attacked and overrun.

Horrible SupCom AI! As others have said, "gamebreaking flaws" in the AI itself. And, I have only owned and played the Final Release. I never tested any of the Demo or Beta or any of that. I just bought the SupCom game at a friend's recommendation.

--

Hopefully, C&C 3 isn't just hype like the SupCom AI was hyped, because with SupCom, the truth didn't match up to the hype or the press -- good AI in the final release, not!

--

I was finally introduced to the Sorian AI for SupCom, and it's the first thing that looks promising.

http://forums.gaspow...opic.php?t=2866

Lots of 'Final Release' SupCom AI flaws being discussed there, and many of them can't be modded out.

--

I wish that someone's of Arkhan's talents and Thud's passion and desires were over there at SupCom modding the AI, but Sorian seems to be on it pretty well -- at least identifying the biggest flaws. Alas, C&C 3 might indeed prove to be the place where Thud's AI passions would be better spent? I hope there is more to the C&C 3 AI than publicity hype, that's for sure. But, I still have past C&C games that I haven't even played yet, so I'll probably do C&C 3 in the bargain bin. My friend Aralez got me into SupCom, possibly prematurely, but he liked it, and SupCom is a likeable game, except for the AI. I still like Dark Crusade better, both for the better AI in Dark Crusade, and for the diversity and 7 different factions like you said. But, let's be honest, it was you Thud, and Arkhan and the 2.0 DC Advanced AI Skirmish Mod and subsequent DC AI Skirmish Mods that you made that made DC worth owning and playing in Skirmish Mode. No question about it!

Edited by ThetaOrion, 05 March 2007 - 02:47 AM.

#10 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 02:43 AM

SC AI was decent enough for terrain that is difficult for AI to transverse. I mean, there are ALOT of elements for the AI to deal with that are not found in DoW (like transversing coast line which alot of AIs for other games can't do).

C&C3 demo's AI is surprising adapt.. try it. I might not need alot of AI modding to get up to spec. However, if its anything like Generals/ZH AI modding then esshhh.. good luck with that! DoW/DC AI is 10x more configurable and scalable.

#11 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 05 March 2007 - 02:48 AM

Actually at the summit they clearly defined the AI as a paramount feature. The scripts will still be run from WB, but they described increased performance and more flexibility.

Dynamic AI is one of them. They also described the scripting will be more intuitive. I think someone here should have a serious look at it when the game is released.

I'm very interested in what your accessment is...

#12 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 02:53 AM

Wow.. Hostile.. yer following C&C3 I see.. based on your avatar and sig. Interesting.

My C&C3 Demo experience are decent enough and see some Skirmish AI imperfections that should be easily corrected. I cannot communicate these adequately on EA's site as they suck righteous ballz in trying to maintain that site. How ironic considering EA has become the #1 video game empire around. Ugh...

Regardless.. C&C3 has some hope.. its different but DoW will always draw me back especially with the work Arkhan has done and continues to do in DoWXP and all the plethora of insanely amazing and near-modular mods coming out.

C&C3 offers a nice distraction but this, regrettably is from the same people who brought us Generals/ZH and gawd knows the spectre of hideous post-game support is hard to dissolve from that regretable legacy. :(

I can hope. We can discuss C&C3 AI stuff down the road. I don't see too much to worry about yet but I see some areas to improve on. I DO HAVE A LIST ready.. :lol:

#13 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 05 March 2007 - 05:19 AM

Great news Thudo. I not only follow cnc3, I run CNC3.net and was a summit member at EA in December. Banshee and I had a great time at EA.

Please stop by and add your input. Our forums are set up here at Revora and we would be thrilled to add an AI modding section to it.

A small contribution from each vet makes for a site with alot of variety and wisdom. I hope to see you there now and then. :ohmy:

P.S. Thudo mate, you really need to get out of your forums now and then. There is a whole world waiting for your genious at Revora. :lol:

#14 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 05:41 AM

"Summit member for EA"? What that? U got to play with the other C&C3 faction? Scrin look incredible! They look like a massive departure that EA has ever attempted. Seeing the masters of Tiberium finally reveal themselves and whom are bent on terraforming Earth to their own is quite exciting.

As for the game itself.. hehe.. I have ALOT of opinions but AI-wise I have seen all the videos on how to defeat it.. the 7min AirTransport/Engineer rush is uber-ghey though. Eassshh.. EA needs to close that loophole. Ouch! Too bad Nod doesn't have such an obvious exploit. :(

#15 ThetaOrion

ThetaOrion

title available

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 10:46 AM

Well, if you can get Thud over there doing AI for C&C 3, that would definitely raise the game from just a curiosity to a must-have for many of us here, that's for sure!

The main reason I was eager and willing to stick with Dark Crusade is because I knew that Thud's Team would be doing the AI right for DC and that it was going to be great.

But, somebody is going to have to get EA to give them what they need to mod the AI adequately for C&C 3, which hasn't really been EA's strongpoint in the past.

The mods of Zero Hour that I played always crashed on me, and that was the end of that. I moved on and came over here where most of the mods for DoW and DC do NOT crash on me.

#16 Lprsti99

Lprsti99
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 07:41 PM

Whoa, whoa, whoa, is that the Banshee from the PPM site? Damn, haven't heard that name in forever!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users