#1 Rob38

Rob38

Believer of Hope

• Hosted
  • 3,567 posts
  • Projects:Helm's Deep Last Hope
  •  One who is not afraid of new challenges

Posted 26 February 2007 - 06:44 AM

I started modding way back in August of 2006. Back then, I knew vey little, but as time passed, I became much more knowledgeable on it. The first project I started on was a Helm's Deep map. My original intention was to create a scripted map that was much better than Ea's campaign one. Well, what started off as a small project turned out to be a major one. As I learned more and more neat things about modding, I kept incorporating more and more into it. Finally, about one month ago, I offically decided to turn this map into what I call a map mod. This map (when finished) will truly be something of amazement. Instead of focusing on making new factions and such for a mod, I'm foucusing all my effort into one map. I have constantly kept re-working my map over and over, and there is still much more to do. I would like to show all of you what I have done so far and what to except for this mod. First, let's start with a list of things my map mod will have.

* map mod will be for BFME2 ; can play with or without the expansion but must have the latest patch for either version

* beautifully scripted cinematic scenes to give the viewer "movie type" scenes

* unique Rohan and Isengard factions specific to my Helm's Deep map

* map will be heavily modifed from EA's one

* custom audio and images from the movie

* entirely scripted Ai with many challenging objectives and goals

* new, abilities, heroes, units, and spellbook powers

* custom made fx, skins, and button images

* can choose to be either good or evil

* will make a map.ini version so that this map will be playable online

Now onto some images:

Reskinned Theoden (face still needs to be worked on)
Posted Image

New hero Gamling (reskinned, new button images and powers, audio added)

Posted Image

Rohan Faction for Helm's Deep map (not done yet)
Posted Image

Helm's Deep Causeway (new feature for map)
Posted Image

And here are some early cinematic screen shots:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

As time continues, I will continue to update and add new pictues for my mod. Currently, I'm the only one that will be working on this mod. I however, do need a modeler that can help me with some small things. I'm not looking for some master or anything, so if any modeler can help me out, either pm me or post on this topic. Thanks.

I've worked very hard on this map so far, and I truly believe this map will be one to remember for the entire BFME series.

Edited by Rob38, 05 June 2007 - 08:05 PM.

signature_group1.gif

16821.png

#2 LordIstari

LordIstari

title available

• Hosted
  • 288 posts
  • Projects:Age Of Men
  •  Age Of Men BosS

Posted 26 February 2007 - 07:14 AM

good work !!!
I can help you with models I do models for Age of Men (my works here) PS and what models in general are necessary to you?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Russian modding, Age of Men Team
AoM Site

#3 Rob38

Rob38

Believer of Hope

• Hosted
  • 3,567 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 07:46 AM

I saw your work LordIstari and I'm really impressed by it. Some really nice stuff there. I have a hard time using RENX so I'll gladly take any help I can get.

Again, thanks for any help you can give me. Here is a list (so far) of what I need. You don't have to do all of them (or any for that matter :) ). Feel free to post any questions you have about them.

1. For Theoden, I like for the model to not have a helmet on his head. In the movie, Theoden doesn't really wear a helmet in the Helm's Deep battle. So if you could just simply remove the helmet part, I would be satisified.

2. This one should also be really easy. For Aragorn, I would like like for the cape to be removed from the model. Again, in the movie, he doesn't wear a cape so if the cape can be simply removed, that would be awesome.

3. This one may be a little tricker. For the rohan armory, there are two different models (one for high and one for low). The problem is the high resolution one doesn't have any of the subobject parts (such as V1A) that the low one has. So, what I want is for the high resolution model to have the subobjects so that the model changes when upgraded in-game.

4. This one is probably the hardest of all of them. For the Hem's Deep Arcade, I want an openable gate so that units can go through it. My Helm's Deep map has an indoor and outdoor part, so I need a gate in the Arcade so they can access both areas. I'll post pictures on this one later so you'll understand it better.

That's all I have for right now. I know I'm saying this a lot, but I really do thank you for helping me on any of this. This will make my mod so much better if you can do these model changes for me.

Edited by Rob38, 26 February 2007 - 08:04 AM.

signature_group1.gif

16821.png

#4 LordIstari

LordIstari

title available

• Hosted
  • 288 posts
  • Projects:Age Of Men
  •  Age Of Men BosS

Posted 26 February 2007 - 09:17 AM

About Aragorn and Theoden i understand, I shall make.,and that about you are going to do in your map a Helms Deep inside?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Russian modding, Age of Men Team
AoM Site

#5 watsupcuz

watsupcuz
  • Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 09:43 AM

he means the keep part, like in the movies where aragorn and theoden retreat to hide in their.
Posted Image

#6 zimoo

zimoo

Ecthelion of the Fountain

• Project Team
  • 2,009 posts
  • Projects:Lurking until the off topic begins...
  •  Guardian of the Books

Posted 26 February 2007 - 09:55 AM

:evgr: I was looking forward to playing this map mod, until I read it was for ROTWK :(

Will there be a BFME2 version aswell? Because as it's based on Rohan/Isengard, I can't imagine there being much from the expansion that you used.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Playing games? Ah, you'll never be a good modder if you get involved in actually playing them!

#7 jimiojoe

jimiojoe

War Mungerer

• Project Team
  • 491 posts
  • Projects:X-Mod, The Harry Potter Modification
  •  Advice

Posted 26 February 2007 - 04:16 PM

oooh i love the new causeway/ramp thing at the front with water and statues - good idea!

any chance of some pics of the upper levels/keep?....
Jimiojoe
A light from the shadow shall spring.

#8 Juissi

Juissi

AWESOM-O

• Hosted
  • 1,555 posts
  • Projects:Last Alliance modification, The Hobbit mod
  •  Forger Of (Last) Alliance

Posted 26 February 2007 - 06:59 PM

Awesome looking map. I hope that this will have replay value too. Looks really cool but are those Men of Dale archers at that one pic standing on wall ?

#9 IthronAiwendil

IthronAiwendil

Retired modder

• Hosted
  • 1,452 posts
  • Projects:None
  •  Coder, skinner, modeler, art guy

Posted 26 February 2007 - 07:07 PM

They're Yeoman Archer from BfME 1, if you've ever played it :evgr:

#10 Juissi

Juissi

AWESOM-O

• Hosted
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 07:21 PM

Yeah Im familiar with those but to my eyes they look like MoD archers but it just be me :evgr:

#11 jimiojoe

jimiojoe

War Mungerer

• Project Team
  • 491 posts
  • Projects:X-Mod, The Harry Potter Modification
  •  Advice

Posted 26 February 2007 - 07:26 PM

Yeah Im familiar with those but to my eyes they look like MoD archers but it just be me :evgr:

i think ea used the same model for men of dale when they made bfme2 as they did for the yeomen archers of bfme1 if you look at both closely, its just the skin difference :lol:
Jimiojoe
A light from the shadow shall spring.

#12 IthronAiwendil

IthronAiwendil

Retired modder

• Hosted
  • 1,452 posts
  • Projects:None
  •  Coder, skinner, modeler, art guy

Posted 26 February 2007 - 07:27 PM

Actually Men of Dale and Yeomen are identical. Anyway, this looks like a great map, hope you will get it finished!

Edited by IthronAiwendil, 26 February 2007 - 07:27 PM.

#13 Rob38

Rob38

Believer of Hope

• Hosted
  • 3,567 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 02:53 AM

Yes, IthronAiwendil is correct. Yeoman archers and men of dale use the same models and skin. But for my map, I'm giving them a new skin and slightly different powers. The cinematic screen shots are an very early stage of development, so don't worry to much how the units look. As for replay value, it's going to be like a super campaign mission. Plus you can choose to be either good or evil also.

@ zimoo Sure, I'll release a BFME2 also. There shouldn't be many changes from the expansion and the most I can think of that may be different is some of Isengard's units.

I'll be posting more screenshots in the next couple of days. School is keeping me busy so I don't have much time right now. Thanks for all the responses. :rolleyes:

signature_group1.gif

16821.png

#14 Fingulfin

Fingulfin

I Like Pi3. Do you?

• Hosted
  • 1,752 posts
  • Projects:Staying Alive.
  •  This place looks familiar. I can't remember why.

Posted 27 February 2007 - 04:37 AM

Great work Rob! I remember when you first came to T3A, a mapper with very little knowledge on the power of modding, but an eager learner. You took up coding quite quickly, I am glad to see your project is coming along so smoothly! Its looking awesome, I shall definitely try to be one of the first to play this map!
Posted Image
--------------------------------------
"You look like a ghost of your former self..."

#15 PAULO

PAULO
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 06:04 AM

wow looks great !! :rolleyes:

#16 adummy

adummy

Keep it Clean!

• Project Team
  • 1,760 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 07:29 AM

I cant wait for this to come out Rob. looks like the best kick-ass map ever made
also, will a large group of rohan allies come at the end? and when they do come is it basicly the end for evil, or do they still have a chance if they act quickly?

Edited by adummy, 27 February 2007 - 07:31 AM.

Posted Image

#17 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 27 February 2007 - 09:32 AM

I'll release a BFME2 also. There shouldn't be many changes from the expansion and the most I can think of that may be different is some of Isengard's units.

why don't you make it just for BFME 2. then anyone with BFME 2 (with or without ROTWK) can play it, and you'll only have to do half of the work :rolleyes:
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#18 Stealthsnake

Stealthsnake

Battles of Gondor mod leader

• Hosted
  • 976 posts
  • Projects:Battles of Gondor
  •  coder, skinner, mapper, graphics

Posted 27 February 2007 - 12:45 PM

ill definitly give it a look once its done, looking foward to it :rolleyes:
Posted Image
Posted Image
a mod for rotwk, includes Harad, Rhun, Rohan and Southern Fiefdoms Factions, beta released, site/forums for the mod is here.

#19 Rob38

Rob38

Believer of Hope

• Hosted
  • 3,567 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 01:08 AM

Thanks Fin! Yes, I can remember those first days of me modding. I come a long way since then, but only with your and the entire T3A community's support. It takes a while to get a good feeling for modding, but once you are able to grasp it, things just start to flow togehter.

@ adummy Yes, the Rohirrom forces will come towards the end of the battle. However, it will not mean that Isengard is done for. My Helm's Deep map will have a lot of movie references, but it will also have some of my own imagination in it. There will be several surprises in the map just to make sure you don't relax to much. :)

@ 2playgames That does make a lot more sense now that I think about it. It'll be for BFME2 and you can play it with or without the expansion.

@ Stealthsnake Thanks. I downloaded your beta version of BOG and I like the progress you made so far. I hope you don't mind that I used yor mod as a way to learn how to create the -mod shortcut and to learn how to add custom images and audio in-game. I'm not using any of your stuff, it's just helping me how to do certain things with modding. Again, your making some really nice progress with yor mod. I especially like the new color theme you chose. ;)

signature_group1.gif

16821.png

#20 Juissi

Juissi

AWESOM-O

• Hosted
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 06:53 AM

:lol: I think that Toms mod is good way to learn how to do some things. That way I learned how to add lotr.str in-game and couple of other stuff too :)

And btw are you adding Huorns in to the end of map ? It would be interesting to see that ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users