Mighty Armadillo

• Hosted
  • 719 posts
  • Projects:Game Enhancement Mod
  •  Coder, Skinner, Graphics, GEM Mod Leader
  • Job:T3A Chamber Member

Posted 04 March 2007 - 09:21 PM

This is for my updates.

For my first updates, I give you, hobbit volunteers! Hobbits armed with knives and such who act as Arnor's early game units.

This is one of four random textures, this is the only one I've finished though.
Hobbit_Pic.JPG

Here is the button art... subject to change...
hobbitbutton.png

I'll be working on this mod, even if I have no one on my team. :lol:

JEV3
He who bears skill but lacks effort, makes himself inferior to those who have no skill but try nonetheless.
Posted Image
Posted Image
"There is some good in this world, and its worth fighting for!"
J.M.J.

#2 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 05 March 2007 - 03:54 PM

the last line of yours....

great :dry:
I made my mod without a team :xcahik_:

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

#3 ched

ched

• Undead
  • 4,431 posts
  • Projects:Rhovanion Alliance
  •  T3A Team Chamber Member
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:Previous Division Leader

Posted 05 March 2007 - 04:06 PM

unfortunately, very few new modders come to work on a team.
Many of them start their own modifications, so it's very hard to gather a team nowadays.

You're not the only one having difficulties finding teammates. A quick browse through the hostees forum will show you how many mods are looking for help :xcahik_:
Software is like sex; it's better when it's free ~Linus Torvald

#4 JEV3

JEV3

Mighty Armadillo

• Hosted
  • 719 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 03:08 AM

Finally! Another update!!! I have been hard at work making a hobbit shirrif. His hat is the first model, and from scratch skin and mapping. There will be some variations with hair color and shirt color and all, but this guy is going to be the main one for now.

Posted Image

Ok before you begin to say "Wow! That is UGLY!", I took a zoomed out pic of what it would look like ingame:

Posted Image

*audience slowly puts down their tomatoes*

Also, I have talked to SS, and he agreed to let me use his Dale skins... I may be making slight modifications to the emblem and color, but they will be mainly by SS.

And, I talked to Flameguard, and his four-legged Huorns will be featured in my mod... *audience picks back up the tomatoes* Oh they'll look great ingame, and I think they are cool. Besides, he told me he'd be adding the crown soon. (the puffy part on top of trees)

Website redesign is coming up soon, I think I'll try Gold, I haven't seenn another website hosted here with a gold color scheme... maybe there is a reason for it. :) I will have to change the mouse-over pictures.

Finally, I now have three members of the team, officially...

D_Bershevits - Apprentice Skinner
Anarion - Apprentice Skinner, Coder
Lord of the Grunts - Apprentice 2d Artist
(maybe)Caluadan - 2d Artist

I still desperately need a modeller for buildings, I can do minor things, like hats and stuff like that, but I need a modeller to be able to make grand Arnor buildings. Unfortunately I can't myself attain that skill in days, weeks, or even months... Nor can I expect to teach someone to get that skill. :) The userbars are being worked on, they will be done soon... I hope...

JEV3

Edited by JEV3, 15 March 2007 - 03:09 AM.

He who bears skill but lacks effort, makes himself inferior to those who have no skill but try nonetheless.
Posted Image
Posted Image
J.M.J.

#5 zimoo

zimoo

Ecthelion of the Fountain

• Project Team
  • 2,009 posts
  • Projects:Lurking until the off topic begins...
  •  Guardian of the Books

Posted 15 March 2007 - 10:11 AM

Swords...? Hobbits were not a warlike race, and swords are specifically for war (whereas things like staffs, axes etc have other uses).

The model looks nice, but I'm not keen on the blue. It doesn't look hobbity, or fit in with the rest of the skin.

*Throws tomato at JEV3 when he reads about four-legged huorns*

Building modeling is easier than unit modeling IMO. You don't need to worry about binding (unless you add the characters), and it's a lot easier to model blocky things than human-things IMO.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Playing games? Ah, you'll never be a good modder if you get involved in actually playing them!

#6 JEV3

JEV3

Mighty Armadillo

• Hosted
  • 719 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 10:20 PM

Those, erm... are the shirrif's means of keeping out trouble, like wolves and stuff... Certainly more effective than a staff. BTW, I'll be using my Hobbit Volunteer skins for these guys, and the hobbits from BFME2 will be the volunteers, so they won't have swords.

The blue looks best with the feather... I guess I could do brown, but I always imagined the hat as blue. And that, is the impression I got from the books, and you of all people whould be able to respect that. :p *Shudders to think about what PJ's shirrifs look like (black hat and suit)* and you said blue was (un)hobbit(y) :p

*Throws tomato at JEV3 when he reads about four-legged huorns*

*ducks* I think they are cool... besides, don't think of it as multiple trucks, think of them as multiple buttresses (large roots). Trees always have more than two! I can't wait to see the finished product, and you won't even notice the fact they are four legged in the game... *ducks again* Ok, maybe you will notice it a bit...

Yeah, well have you seen Amon Sul? Arnor architecture has a lot of curves. Now those curves could be faked by skinning, but I'm not sure I am talented enough to do that. :)

Oh, BTW, if you are going to start throwing things, don't use tomatoes, I can't stand the taste of them. ;)
Posted Image
Posted Image
J.M.J.

#7 zimoo

zimoo

• Project Team
  • 2,009 posts
  •  Guardian of the Books

Posted 16 March 2007 - 09:59 AM

I wouldn't say swords would be more effective than staffs at dealing with wolves. Staffs have a much longer reach, whereas a hobbit-sword is basically a knife, meaning they'd have to get really close to attack. If I was making the unit, I'd give them clubs/staffs and other blunt weapons, perhaps using axes/swords when upgraded.

Yes blue is more hobbity than black, but I'd still prefer a more festive colour.

I don't even have ROTWK, so I won't be playing this mod. I just like to browse the forums complaining :lol:

If they have curves then you just get them into a curve-like shape, then skin it. From experience I've found that this method works well.

Yeah I don't like tomatoes either, hence why I'm throwing them at you :p
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Playing games? Ah, you'll never be a good modder if you get involved in actually playing them!

#8 JEV3

JEV3

Mighty Armadillo

• Hosted
  • 719 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 01:39 AM

Expect some renders tomorrow! :p
Posted Image
Posted Image
J.M.J.

#9 Caluadan

Caluadan

"When you cease to exist, then who will you blame?"

• Project Team
  • 1,101 posts
  • Projects:Wars of the East
  •  Artist, Skinner, Modeller, Website Designer

Posted 17 April 2007 - 12:50 PM

YAY!!!
Posted Image
Posted Image
My artwork this far
| Battles of Gondor | Wars of the East | Last Alliance

Positive to nuclear energy, taxes (preferably high) and the European Union
Negative to car traffic and US foreign policy

#10 JEV3

JEV3

Mighty Armadillo

• Hosted
  • 719 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 02:21 AM

I'm sorry but due to some difficulties with modelling I couldn't get any renders up... sorry
Posted Image
Posted Image
J.M.J.

#11 zimoo

zimoo

• Project Team
  • 2,009 posts
  •  Guardian of the Books

Posted 18 April 2007 - 02:23 AM

What's the problem?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users