title available

• Hosted
  • 1,849 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK
  •  crazy coder

Posted 06 March 2007 - 11:56 AM

Hello all,

UPDATED:
Well I'm adding some screenshots of the heroes. For the campaign I've added a number of heroes to the mod that the player will be able to control. Here are some screenshots:

Full group (except for Boromir - he was camera shy)
[attachment=14078:attachment]

Dwarven heroes and Northern Men:
[attachment=14079:attachment]

Rohan:
[attachment=14081:attachment]

Elves:
[attachment=14082:attachment]

Gondor, with Gandalf and Radagast (but Boromir was still shy:
[attachment=14080:attachment]

Well, enjoy!

Now I don't post here much, mostly because I don't have too much time. I've updated my mod with the first 8 maps of a campaign. (A blend of the BFME1, BFME2, and custom maps.) I know this has been done, but I tried something new (I think) by using WotR and a non-linear campaign to recreate the style of the BFME1 campaign, allowing the user to play all four good factions of the War of the Ring. (Rohan, Elves, Dwarves, & Gondor.)

Anyway, below is the link to the mod. I really respect most of those that supply information here. If I ever get more time I will try to write a tutorial if people want it on creating these non-linear campaigns. It's probably already been done 10 different ways, but I always miss it.

Please, provide feedback if you can. It is very appreciated.

Now I'll step back into the back row,
robnkarla (my name is Robert, and my wife's name is Karla. It's stuck with me for the past 8 years, and at least it is unique so I don't have to remember a thousand usernames.

Thank you again for any feedback.

http://mevault.ign.c...h...etail&id=11

Edited by robnkarla, 17 March 2007 - 10:31 AM.

#2 zimoo

zimoo

Ecthelion of the Fountain

• Project Team
  • 2,009 posts
  • Projects:Lurking until the off topic begins...
  •  Guardian of the Books

Posted 06 March 2007 - 12:11 PM

Sounds very interesting, I'd definatly give it a go if I had ROTWK (which I don't, and never will ;) )

I for one would be interested in seeing a tutorial, if you manage to find the time to write one.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Playing games? Ah, you'll never be a good modder if you get involved in actually playing them!

#3 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 06 March 2007 - 12:42 PM

You mean you actually got the living world campaign to work in BFME 2 / ROTWK? ;) I'm sure a tutorial would be very much appreciated by our members :p
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#4 robnkarla

robnkarla

title available

• Hosted
  • 1,849 posts
  •  crazy coder

Posted 06 March 2007 - 03:10 PM

You mean you actually got the living world campaign to work in BFME 2 / ROTWK? ;) I'm sure a tutorial would be very much appreciated by our members :p

It took some time, but yes that is what I did. I always thought it probably had been done before. If I have time, I will try to write up something.

#5 Juissi

Juissi

AWESOM-O

• Hosted
  • 1,555 posts
  • Projects:Last Alliance modification, The Hobbit mod
  •  Forger Of (Last) Alliance

Posted 06 March 2007 - 06:15 PM

That would be amazing :p You good sir, deserve a medal or something ;)

#6 ched

ched

• Undead
  • 4,431 posts
  • Projects:Rhovanion Alliance
  •  T3A Team Chamber Member
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:Previous Division Leader

Posted 06 March 2007 - 08:00 PM

very interesting material here ;)
Software is like sex; it's better when it's free ~Linus Torvald

#7 robnkarla

robnkarla

title available

• Hosted
  • 1,849 posts
  •  crazy coder

Posted 17 March 2007 - 03:44 PM

For anyone who might have played the campaign, I have a question - In Amon Hen I have a small chance of getting a game.dat error that I cannot get rid of. I've rescripted the map a number of times, but the error still sometime appears. If anyone knows what can cause this, please let me know.

Thank you

#8 adummy

adummy

Keep it Clean!

• Project Team
  • 1,760 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 06:58 PM

you did a great job man :p . i actually almost died in Moria :p . keep up with the good work on a fun mod :p
Posted Image

#9 Eonwe

Eonwe

title available

• Project Team
  • 534 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 10:01 PM

I want to do some battles, but sometimes I capture a area. Can you tell me where to go to do battles?

#10 robnkarla

robnkarla

title available

• Hosted
  • 1,849 posts
  •  crazy coder

Posted 21 March 2007 - 12:43 AM

I want to do some battles, but sometimes I capture a area. Can you tell me where to go to do battles?

Currently there are 8 maps that will battle. The rest are yet to be implemented as each one requires some decent amount of scripting, rebuilding, remapping, etc.

The regions are:
Moria
Lothlorien
Amon Hen
Eastfold
Eaves of Fangorn
Iron Hills
Rivendell
Rhudaur

I have finished but have not released Isengard, and I am nearly done with Helm's Deep. (This was a massive change to the map to script any of the factions/heroes you can choose that I think everyone will like. Defend and play it with any of the factions, new heroes, and some surprises.) Once that is complete, I will finish Ithilien and a skirmish map to show off the new heroes and I will have the next release.

After those are complete, I will work on either Erebor, Celduin, & Mirkwood - or - Ettenmoors, High Pass, & Grey Havens as well as modify some of the 8 maps for some different scenarios for each of the factions. I wish I had a place to call home to set up some polls, to get feedback, but alas I do not have the time to create a site/trailers.

So for now, there are only 8 maps, which still is a few hours for the single player.

#11 zimoo

zimoo

Ecthelion of the Fountain

• Project Team
  • 2,009 posts
  • Projects:Lurking until the off topic begins...
  •  Guardian of the Books

Posted 21 March 2007 - 09:59 AM

You could apply for hosting here, and thus get a sub-forum where you can post all the stuff, instead of bunching it in 1 file. I don't think that you'd have any trouble getting hosted :)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Playing games? Ah, you'll never be a good modder if you get involved in actually playing them!

#12 Eonwe

Eonwe

title available

• Project Team
  • 534 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 07:14 PM

I never played Rhudaur, or Iron hills yet.

#13 ched

ched

• Undead
  • 4,431 posts
  • Projects:Rhovanion Alliance
  •  T3A Team Chamber Member
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:Previous Division Leader

Posted 22 March 2007 - 01:43 AM

You could apply for hosting here, and thus get a sub-forum where you can post all the stuff, instead of bunching it in 1 file. I don't think that you'd have any trouble getting hosted

indeed, the stuff you've done is pretty unique, and the amount of work and experience required shows more than enough to be worthy of hosting.
PM me if you're still interested. And if you'd rather keep this low, we can just host the mod on our servers ;)
Software is like sex; it's better when it's free ~Linus Torvald

#14 watsupcuz

watsupcuz
  • Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 07:39 AM

I was wondering if those new heros that u have made, aret they just create a heros, or are they create a heroes but u have made them regular heroes. If they u have made them regular heroes i was wondering if u could tell me how u did it?
Posted Image

#15 robnkarla

robnkarla

title available

• Hosted
  • 1,849 posts
  •  crazy coder

Posted 22 March 2007 - 09:22 AM

I was wondering if those new heros that u have made, aret they just create a heros, or are they create a heroes but u have made them regular heroes. If they u have made them regular heroes i was wondering if u could tell me how u did it?

The heroes are the create-a-heroes that have been changed into regular heroes.

The basic concept was to take the pieces of the ini files for the created heroes and change them into a normal file. I took the createahero.ini - and replaced the includes with the actual files. I deleted all of the items I did not need, and swapped out the MODELs with the appropriate model in the animation for the type of hero I was creating. I then created some gamedata.ini entries for each one and built the weapons/armor, and basic stats of the hero.

To choose the bling, I created a behavior that is granted by the objectlevel1 upgrade. I then showed the subobjects that I wanted for that hero. I also picked the powers or created the powers I wanted and placed them in the appropriate places. Lastly I created their own portraits and modified their textures slightly to get the look I liked.

This explanation was all really rushed, but I think there is a tutorial out there. I don't know for sure as I kind of made it up as I went and I wished I could have followed a tutorial. If there is not, I might make one.

The first hero is the hardest to do. Each one is easier, and once you have a class done you can replicate it extremely fast for other heroes.

RJ

#16 pasiecaaL

pasiecaaL
  • Project Team
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 10:05 AM

hI I REALY LIKE wath you have done and are you gonna write a tutorial ?????

OHH and may i aske if there gonna be a next version ;) ;) :D

#17 robnkarla

robnkarla

title available

• Hosted
  • 1,849 posts
  •  crazy coder

Posted 25 March 2007 - 11:48 AM

Well, Helm's Deep is just about done. All that is left is just clean up of audio/subtitles and other small items. I've had a few testers (who loved BFME and Helm's Deep Battle) and they both enjoyed it tremendously, so I hope it will go well when released. The plan is within the weekm depending on a few items.

I wanted to give an update on what is to be included in the next release. First, the siege of both Isengard and Helm's Deep will be included in the campaign. Next, all of the newly created heroes will in the game as well. I've added a map.ini file to the Minas Tirth EA map to enable all of the heroes to be playable on one of the three good factions.

Lastly, I'm working another aspect of the BFME1 campaign/experience that I think ought to be available in the campaign and maybe a couple of the skirmish maps....the old castles with the walkable walls. Now I believe this has been done before, but I've been wrong about that in the past. Basically, with the castles, you will start the campaign maps and/or custom skirmish maps with a fortress with the surround defenses. Each of the factions will have their own castle/camp. I'm porting Rohan and Gondor and I've already done most of the work on the dwarves and elves. This is just another thing I should write some tutorial about if there isn't one. Once I establish a home and get further into the campaign I'll propably take a break and write a couple.

Unlike BFME1, there will be no build plots, the castle will be mainly an empty shell at this time where you can build what you want where you want it. I might change my mind, but not yet. As this is in the Single-player area of the game for the most part I'll have to see what I finally decide on.

Well, enough rambling on...I'm doing that more in my old age.

Here are some screenshots of the Dwarven Castle - about 90% complete. It is mostly a retexturing of Gondor's camp. I had a unique castle for them based off of Cirith Ungol, but it wasn't functionally working as well as this one did. Enjoy:

Empty Dwarf base:
[attachment=14174:attachment]

Another Base shot:
[attachment=14175:attachment]

Yeah, walkable walls!
[attachment=14177:attachment]

A full Dwarven camp!
[attachment=14176:attachment]

Please, all comments, questions, and any response at all is greatly appreciated.

Robert

#18 punisher60k

punisher60k
  • Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 12:14 PM

I think it all looks good, but i'm not sure about the wall colour :ninja: looks too grey to me :D. Perhaps make it a lighter shade or something (unless your basing it off an existing model). Also, i was wondering if the mine still has the area radius thing that affects it's resource income, if not then you could build quite a fair and would be wierd :blush: otherwise do they still have the original readius but they get an increase in resource. E.g. 300% when inside the castle.

Edited by punisher60k, 25 March 2007 - 12:14 PM.

#19 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 25 March 2007 - 03:08 PM

Hey rob (with karla), looks like you have been working on a nice mod there, while we weren't look :blush: may i suggest you add it to our new site?
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#20 Eonwe

Eonwe

title available

• Project Team
  • 534 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 04:14 PM

I want to know how you get faction animations on your buildings. It does not work for me. I wish we could play the rohan from BFME 1 in Skirmish. Just keep up the good work. Its pretty fun already.

Edited by Lord of the Grunts, 25 March 2007 - 04:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users