Photo
- - - - -

walls in cnc 3 poll

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Poll: cnc 3 walls

do you wants buildable walls in cnc 3

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 zach016

zach016
  • New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 02:51 AM

simple poll on whether you would like walls in command and conquer or not. i have several polls running on different sites on this topic so if you vote in one do NOt vote again in another one. The results will be posted in a few days in the DGNF at www.cncden.com under the thread, cnc 3 walls. If you would like walls will you also please sign the petition at http://petitiononline.com/cncwalls/.

thank you for voting,(i will post when the poll is over and give a link to the results)

Edited by zach016, 12 March 2007 - 02:52 AM.

#2 Destroyer

Destroyer

Byte me

• Members
  • 2,305 posts
  • Projects:Having fun
  •  Just this guy, you know?

Posted 12 March 2007 - 03:04 AM

Why does something as insignificant as walls matter? :p

#3 Master Windu

Master Windu

The Master.

• Advisors
  • 2,150 posts
  • Projects:Galaxy at War, Rhovanion Alliance
  •  T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 12 March 2007 - 04:03 AM

Seriously, the game is fine the way it is, absolutely no need for a petition...Sounds like pointless arguing to me, but I'm sure there will always be those EA haters who will sign anything against EA.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 Kazyumi

Kazyumi

We Shall Purify

• Members
  • 2,156 posts
  • Projects:Making a master plan to destroy the consumerist society.
  •  Revora's Local Forum Whore

Posted 12 March 2007 - 08:16 AM

I like walls, they add in a lot of strategy.
Also they'd be cool for in a Red-zone?
Use walls to block/contain overflow of Tiberium into your base or something? :p

Lurking moar since 2004 2003!

#5 Athena

Athena

Embody the Truth

• Undead
  • 6,946 posts
  •  Former Community Leader

Posted 12 March 2007 - 08:20 AM

I never built them in TS so I don't see why I'd start building them now. Adding walls would mess up the pathfinding of units, EA did not leave them out for no reason. I'd rather have no walls. You can always mod them into the game if you really must.

#6 Kazyumi

Kazyumi

We Shall Purify

• Members
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 08:47 AM

I never built them in TS so I don't see why I'd start building them now. Adding walls would mess up the pathfinding of units, EA did not leave them out for no reason. I'd rather have no walls. You can always mod them into the game if you really must.

Well I did, to protect buildings, block paths, walling off defenses and yer CY.
Walls don't mess up pathfinding of units.. :S If you can't get your own units out of your own base then that is a bit silly... :p
I rather have walls in then having to mod them in.
Face it alot of people do like them and use them so why disallow people to use them in online matches?
Because thats the point.
If you want to use them and you have to mod them in you can't play anyone with it.
Having the option is better then having no option, believe me.

#7 Athena

Athena

Embody the Truth

• Undead
  • 6,946 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 08:55 AM

According to EA they mess up the pathfinding. They left them out and for a reason.

Just because a lot of people say something, doesn't mean it's valid. A lot of people don't know much of how to make a game.

I know there's some people who want walls in. I was just stating I don't, and what my reasons are for that.

I don't believe we should start a heated discussion about it, as it's pointless.

#8 Kazyumi

Kazyumi

We Shall Purify

• Members
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 09:08 AM

According to EA they mess up the pathfinding. They left them out and for a reason.

Just because a lot of people say something, doesn't mean it's valid. A lot of people don't know much of how to make a game.

Well then EA should do something about it that it is possible... :p
Walls add so much... :)

I don't believe we should start a heated discussion about it, as it's pointless.

Oh I agree. :p

#9 Mongoose

Mongoose

TFH rOCks

• Hosted
  • 785 posts
  •  OMG I'M MEMBER NUMBER 189

Posted 12 March 2007 - 10:21 AM

I personly loved the walls myself and used them all time

It seems like EA need to learn that taking the time out to FIX a problem is also a good idea too insteed of just boycotting it all together

Edited by Mongoose, 12 March 2007 - 10:22 AM.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 Daeda

Daeda

Piñata

• Project Team
  • 1,627 posts
  • Projects:CNC3.net News & Freedom Studios admin
  •  This text is actually purple

Posted 12 March 2007 - 11:25 AM

only reason to have them is to block engineers from your conyard.. and petitiononline sucks..

#11 ambershee

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks

• Hosted
  • 3,114 posts
  • Projects:Mutator Week & Unreal 3 Projects
  •  Mad Mod Boffin

Posted 12 March 2007 - 12:58 PM

I like walls. A lot. It's a shame that they're not included because they are capable of adding considerable depth to base building strategies if implemented correctly.

And bollocks to pathfinding because they were included and totally functional in BfME II, the AI in CnC3 is able to navigate impassible barricades such as cliffs, water, large structures and even unit blockades. Let's face it they've been left out for some other reason. The pathfinding in CnC 3 is only two dimensional, being a standard top-down RTS after all.

#12 Solinx

Solinx

• Undead
  • 3,101 posts
  • Projects:Real Life
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Retired Leader / Manager

Posted 12 March 2007 - 02:48 PM

I like walls. A lot. It's a shame that they're not included because they are capable of adding considerable depth to base building strategies if implemented correctly.

QFT

And bollocks to pathfinding because they were included and totally functional in BfME II, the AI in CnC3 is able to navigate impassible barricades such as cliffs, water, large structures and even unit blockades. Let's face it they've been left out for some other reason. The pathfinding in CnC 3 is only two dimensional, being a standard top-down RTS after all.

My experiences are that even tho pathfinding is a lot better than in BFME I, the pathfinding still wasn't perfect at BFME II. Just a straight line wall was handled fine most of the time, but whenever you started doing things beyond simple, pathfinding could become problematic.

Something that mappers might recognise is that to avoid pathfinding problems, every walkable path of the map should be 2 or 3 battalions wide. This was documented in one of EA's WB guides. Walls can decrease the width of the path, thus cause pathfinding problems, according to EA.

So, they probably decided to drop walls and invest their time and resources into vastly improving the AI and other things, rather than improving pathfinding even further, in the hope they could fix it this time.

Choices have to be made.

Solinx
Posted Image

"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

#13 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  • Projects:Revora, C&C:Online
  •  Thought Police
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 12 March 2007 - 05:22 PM

Walls have been there from the beginning. I think they should stay, because of four reasons:
1. What Ambershee said
2. It's typical for CNC
3. Cool bases need walls
4. I liked them, personally :p

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

Sieben Elefanten hatte Herr Dschin
Und da war dann noch der achte.
Sieben waren wild und der achte war zahm
Und der achte war's, der sie bewachte.

#14 Nighthawk

Nighthawk

Grumble Grumble.

• Division Leaders
  • 2,947 posts
  • Projects:The Third War, Ares, misc side projects.
  •  Strategist and Modder
  • Division:C&C Guild
  • Job:Division Leader
  • Association

Posted 12 March 2007 - 05:24 PM

I'm for walls. The BfME 2 wall logic appears to be in the game in some form, remember those Nod walls from the demo mission? If the pathfinding worked reasonably okay in BfME 2, why would it suddenly fail here? Also, I get the fact that some people don't want walls, but certainly, if you don't like walls, don't build them :p
Posted Image
Posted Image
Job Openings with the Guild: Division Staff, News Posters.
Job Openings with Ares: Documentation Maintainer, Active Testers.

PM if interested.

#15 Master Windu

Master Windu

The Master.

• Advisors
  • 2,150 posts
  • Projects:Galaxy at War, Rhovanion Alliance
  •  T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 12 March 2007 - 05:27 PM

Well, since I havent played the older CNC games before Generals, I don't have much experience with CNC with walls. Personally I still like CNC3 the way it is in the demo, and I don't think walls would add that much to the game.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 Daz

Daz

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,654 posts
  •  Revora Co-Founder

Posted 12 March 2007 - 06:10 PM

Never been a fan of walls. Seems to always confuse your own units so they stay still, or they try and blow a hole in your own defensive wall.

Would rather spend my money on more units.

#17 Athena

Athena

Embody the Truth

• Undead
  • 6,946 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 06:42 PM

Also, I get the fact that some people don't want walls, but certainly, if you don't like walls, don't build them :thumbsupsmiley:

And I won't :dry:. But I think it's pure BS to start a petition for it and some people whining "OMG if it doesn't have walls I won't buy the game!!1".

Never been a fan of walls. Seems to always confuse your own units so they stay still, or they try and blow a hole in your own defensive wall.

Would rather spend my money on more units.

Same.

#18 Nighthawk

Nighthawk

Grumble Grumble.

• Division Leaders
  • 2,947 posts
  • Projects:The Third War, Ares, misc side projects.
  •  Strategist and Modder
  • Division:C&C Guild
  • Job:Division Leader
  • Association

Posted 13 March 2007 - 05:04 PM

It's kind of late saying all this now anyway as the game has already gone into physical production, but why couldn't EA just improve the wall logic along with the rest of the game. After all, they keep boasting about their great heuristic AI and how it will enhance the experience and make it more 'fast, fluid and fun,' but why then could this 'marvel of AI engineering' not be able to navigate a simple barricade?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Job Openings with the Guild: Division Staff, News Posters.
Job Openings with Ares: Documentation Maintainer, Active Testers.

PM if interested.

#19 Nemoricus

Nemoricus

Dragon Awesomeness for the Win!

• Project Team
  • 1,110 posts
  • Projects:FC Alpha tester, Enigma Advisor

Posted 13 March 2007 - 06:36 PM

Walls should be in. It's a C&C tradition.

No further reason needed.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#20 Daz

Daz

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,654 posts
  •  Revora Co-Founder

Posted 13 March 2007 - 06:58 PM

Horrible unit pathfinding is also a C&C tradition.

More than one unit crossing a bridge?
Don't be silly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users