This is the compiled list of our suggestions sofar. Most of them originally came from me, or at least i wrote them down. I'll add to them , once new suggestions come up, and any appropriate comments from the thread. Let me remind you, the things listed here, even if they make a really nice addition to the mod, have a low priority, or else are moved to the ToDo-thread. - Sûl
Part 1: Suggestions for the final release
- Have the Gondor soldiers wear a mail hauberk until they get the HA upgrade. Then they wear breastplates. That's what i call heavy armor, lol.
- 'Being worked on? Not sure.' (Sûlherokhh)
- Barracks have Ranks (1 to 3). We might have 'Barrack'-type buildings confer its Rank to the unit it produces (like the Mûmak-Pen already does). Leveling up a Barrack would then be even more sweet (remove the automatic Banner Carrier at Rank 2 though).
- 'No comment so far.'
a) Remove the STANCES. Period. Its not visual enough.
b) Introduce a FORMATION for every unit, especially Archer Hordes, that makes the unit stop moving, but still lets it attack everything in sight (like the Porcupine-Formation)
c) Slow movement FORMATION for Melee Hordes (as with Gondor Soldiers) plus maybe extra armour versus Arrows (hiding behind the shields).
- 'No comment so far.'
- Remove the current palantir images for the MOTW, Mordor, and Isengard units and replace them with the original palantir images from the first game, and find some pics from the movies for some of the other units like the Elves and Goblins.
- 'That is a matter of taste of course, but i liked the BfME1 images better then the sepia toned new ones for BfME2. Changing them back is easy, but a lot of work.' (Sûlherokhh)
- 'Changing art is easy technically but an enormous workload, and I for one like the sepia art, and that also goes through ALL art, even structures and there's simply no way I'll change all art in the game.' (Nazgûl)
I was also realized that ther is something wrong with Glorfindel's hair colour, its supposed to be blonde not white!(in the ToDo list)
- 'Glorfindel will get his blonde hair, ...' (Nazgûl)
- Howabout adding King Brand to the Dwarven faction?
- 'I'll see what I can do. The problem with adding units is just that they require audio as well, ... But I agree, they're kinda short on heroes and archer units.' (Nazgûl)
- 'You can use the King Brand model from the Deluxe mod? They had a good model...' (MordorSlayer)
- Try to get rid of those ugly, disgusting, jagged-ass shadows.
- 'Shadows cam be fixed with higher res (I think), but it will SERIOUSLY lag that game, ... I doubt I will increase their pixel structure, but I might try it. ... I think they're ok.' (Nazgûl)
Library-buildings for uprades
a)Add either a 'library' building for each faction or a fortress extension that provides upgrades for Heroes and possibly other units.
b) Let heroes start with only a few powers, but DO NOT let them gain more by increasing their rank. Instead let them gain additional powers by 'buying' them in the library. Maybe some of the hero powers are still gained by rank. I suggest mostly things like 'berserker-rage', crippling strike etc., but not magic spells or FO-artillery
c) The library might either have a submenu for each hero and their specific powers, or it might provide general upgrades, used for each and every hero (specifically, this is the only fitting way for the CaH).
d) Some sample names: Library of Minas Tirith (MotW), House of Learning - a grove with peaceful trees and maybe the mirror of Galadriel (Elves), Hall of Alchemy (Dwarves), Chamber of Artifacts (Isengard), Black Pit or Sorcery Pit (Mordor), Summoning Chamber (Wild). (In the ToDo list with some changes)
- I say this is DEFENITELY a good idea! As long as we can do it... I want it! (Nazgûl)
- I like it too! I prefer the second alternative (Fortress Extension?- Sûl). But does it mean that heroes are still gonna be really expensive? And I would think twice because what about CAHs? ... (Uruk King)
The whole System of Repairing Buildings is a bit inconsistent. I suggest:(In the ToDo list with some changes)
a) All upgraded walls leave rubble too. And all rubble can be repaired to it's old state. But not via a repair button (like the gates for example).
b) Nothing (except wild structures. This is a cool faction feature) self-repairs after 200 seconds of delay. Yeah!
c) All damaged buildings and all rubble can be repaired (only) by porters. We must reimplement EA's porter-repair function: Or the building must be sold and newly build. Huhay!
- 'I love 90% of it! (Nazgûl).'
- Men of the West additions
a) ... the entmoot could be added to the Rohan minifaction, because in theory the Ents do live in the Rohan kingdom.
b) Maybe the Edoras Royal guards could be added as a spearmen unit for Rohan and/or adding Denethor and Gamling to MOTW.
- Those ideas are in theory good, but it would compromise balance as Men already have Siege weapons in their Trebuchets. They also have a powerful spear unit in Gondor Tower Guards. ... But I still like the general thought of your idea... (Nazgûl)
- Adjust the AI placement of resource buildings on all maps to adjust to the already implemented smaller claim area. Include the building of sawmills for evil factions. Resource buildings of all kinds should benefit from being close to a fortress or market. Let the Fortress provide a positive leadership bonus on those buildings close by and a negative leadership bonus if they are far away. I don't want to limit the building of farms but have them even closer to home. Leadership should range from +20% to -20%.
- No comment yet.
- Making the Eagle and Drake SuperFortressUpgrades of the Elves and Wild Faction into unselectable protection, much like the singular wargs are the watchdogsIsengard? We'd have to move Drogoth back to the hero list, unless that's the one we wanted.
- Hmmm, naaah - don't really like that... (Nazgûl)
- I don't like the idea of fortress slave creatures. I rather have a new structure for each faction with those, if we're gonna have them. But not tied to the fortresses (Nazgûl)
- Most 'evil' army killers (meteors, MordorFortress-Fireball, Hero-Fireball, Trollmace, Mumaktrample etc.) and some of the 'good' army killers (Flood, Burning Sunlight, Wizard Blast) should really hurt just about every one in front of or within the area of effect. Almost all of the should damage neutral objects. Especially all the sweet little animals hopping around. Noone said that living in a warzone is all pancakes and orange juice!
- But yes, those weapons should defenitely hurt eveyone. That is realism, AND it also ads some sort of "strategy" since you'd had to be careful where using them. Let's do it! (Nazgûl)
- I imagine ... (hurting neutral animals requires extra coding) ..., as they are not attackable normally. (Zimoo)
Part 2: Suggestions for an experimental 'Director's Cut'
- Existing troops use up resources over time ---> Upkeep.
- 'In theory cool, but it would make it possible to spawn too many units ...' (Nazgûl)
- No automatic reinforcements at level 2 (banner carrier). Banner carrier adds a reinforcement button to the horde.
- '... 1) it's a big step/job and 2) I'm not sure I really buy the idea yet. Maybe later on when we've cought up on the list?' (Nazgûl)
- Include the sound customizer for the added benefit of listening to your own customized list of battle- building- and explorationtracks.
- 'Nothing is impossible, and many things could be considered once we're finished with the actual game/play/units and such.' (Nazgûl)
- I've adviced it before, but that was a long time age: add more Lotr-music. No other mod has ever done that before, and it would make for the ultimate Lotr-experience!
- 'Yeah I'm ALL for extra music as long as it's LotRs music.' (Nazgûl)
My original post, for reference to the answers following this post:
While i like the mod very much, there are still a few things i would like to add, if i had the time.
- I would like to reduce the number of wallhubs on a long stretch to two (beginning and end). Easily done, and if you badly need one on the stretch, each wall segment can be converted. I succesfully implemented that last year in a beta of EM.
- I believe it also possible to have destroyed wall segments leave permanent rubble. That rubble could have a repair button (like the gate), so you wouldn't have to rebuild the whole wall stretch. I was experimenting on that last year.
- The so far craziest idea i had (which i think would be no obstacle to the movie feel of SEE) would be to do partly away with Command Points. Let existing units simply cost resources over time. that way you would need to have an income for the upkeep of an army. Command Points could still be used to cap the number of heroes in the game. A special ability of a hero might even reduce the upkeep of troops around him. I had no time to try this one out, but i have made a mental map of what i would need to do. Which goes hand in hand with...
What do you guys think? Would it destroy the movie feeling. Balance would have to be reworked for a few items of course.
- Don't let banner carriers and healing wells pop up missing units out of thin air. Let a banner carrier add a reinforcement button to the horde.
Edited by Nazgûl, 08 May 2007 - 02:41 PM.