Porting to SupCom or C&C 3

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Swelnet_*

Guest_Swelnet_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2007 - 11:47 AM

I love the nice work there, and was wondering why this hasen't been thought of being converted on supreme commander! ^^

Will the tanks be able to use their Coax guns? Have you tried www.cold-war-crisis.de ?

#2 Dexter

Dexter
  • Members
  • 178 posts
  • Projects:Real War Mod

Posted 19 March 2007 - 04:23 PM

I love the nice work there, and was wondering why this hasen't been thought of being converted on supreme commander! ^^

Because SupCom sux. Sorry, but this is my honest opinion. We could discuss conversion to C&C3 engine though, but it is too early to think of.

Have you tried www.cold-war-crisis.de ?

What do you mean?

Will the tanks be able to use their Coax guns?

Right now the answer is yes, but we could change it after beta test.

#3 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2007 - 10:05 PM

Ok first of all I tried to register and never gor the confirmation email... (This is swelnet -or- sweln).

About cold war crisis, it's a nice mod on C&C Generals, and you may try the 1.1 demo. They are a great team, very friendly and they have posted nice things to you on your moddb profile.

I have finiched Supreme Commander, played and tested it quite a bit, and same for the C&C3 demo. As the game (C&C3) hase been developped for fast transition on xbox360 that means that the priority hasen't been given for a multipurpose engine and not mod friendly on a first time.

Just on me I wouldn't support EA on their new game, it's just a big shot in marketing this time. And a few of my friends have worked there, I know well their policy.

About the coax stuff, well as most games play rock / paper / cissors, well would be nice having something a little more strategic... Try the tanks in cold war crisis and tell me what you think of it. Just that I hate seeing a tank using it's main canon to shoot a lone soldier on the field.

#4 Solinx

Solinx

• Undead
  • 3,101 posts
  • Projects:Real Life
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Retired Leader / Manager

Posted 19 March 2007 - 11:05 PM

Hello Swelnet,

Strange about the failed registration. Send me a mail to --{Done - mail removed}-- and I can preregister you. :p
Please use Swelnet as mail subject and I will have it filtered out.

As for the modibility of CnC3...
CnC 3 is build with an improved version of the game engine used by Generals. This engine had already undergone a few changes with the Battle for Middle Earth series, making modding easier with each game, and with the new CnC game they have continued on this line.

With Battle for Middle Earth I/II, the ini file structure is quite different from Generals. Much more organised, and with more functionalities.

With CNC3, they have changed formats for both coding and models, both making it easier to mod the game. This is beneficial to their own team of course, but this benefit is shared by the modders.

And yes, EA is a big shot in marketing. Marketing has always been one of their best skills. That doesn't make the game aweful tho. The AI for example, is actually stunningly good. It adapts to your playstyle, attacking you at your weak points.

As the game (C&C3) hase been developped for fast transition on xbox360 that means that the priority hasen't been given for a multipurpose engine and not mod friendly on a first time.

Sorry for being sceptical, but Battle for Middle Earth II was also ported to the Xbox 360, and trust me, that game can be modded just fine. Take a look at our BFME II division if you want. ;)

Even tho the CNC 3 Demo files are encoded, I will tell you that I have no doubts that the game can be modded just fine.

Solinx
Posted Image

"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

#5 Guest_sweln (swelnet)_*

Guest_sweln (swelnet)_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2007 - 07:22 AM

Here's what 2312222 (Hexman) from CWC said about C&C3 demo, and about converting their mod on C&C3 :

It's impossible to say now whether a port is an option. So far the demo doesn't allow for any further investigation into how the game reads models and skin files (at least I've not discovered them so far). Besides that the missing airfield logic really could stop a port from the very beginning, CWC without aircraft is not an option. We'll just have to wait and see. I'm also stunned by how blurry and bright the picture is, looks odd to me.

Anyway a port isn't for anybody the first thing do do : if the mods can be released that's already enough.
I was just interrested in the huge maps and the incredible zoom level in Supreme Commander, that would permit usual military mods to have bigger scale conflicts and much more room for planes to fight.

#6 Solinx

Solinx

• Undead
  • 3,101 posts
  • Projects:Real Life
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Retired Leader / Manager

Posted 20 March 2007 - 09:46 PM

Hexman made that comment about a month ago, and said he couldn't decide anything yet untill he knows more. Hostile was invited to the CnC 3 summit and got his information right from them :D

Solinx
Posted Image

"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

#7 Lord_Mordja

Lord_Mordja
  • Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 01:06 AM

I'd suggest staying on ZH for now (and preferably until at least a first release). The fact of the matter is, CnC3 isn't exactly just a newer version of Generals, it's a different game. I has a different build system, no General powers (the system is based solely on money and seems considerally more limiting) and (hopefully changeable) bo airfield logic. Just because the next game offers fancier graphics doesn't necessitate a change and doesn't meen ZH will die. Look at Red Alert 2, the amount of modding has gone up since Generals came out.

Basically, I'd suggest not to switch until you're sure the game offers what you want.

#8 Cboidy8888

Cboidy8888

title available

• Project Team
  • 326 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 01:13 AM

Please keep a full release on Zero Hour. I still need a new Processor for C&C3 (Finally got the graphics card)

#9 sweln

sweln
  • Members
  • 20 posts
  • Projects:My life... and helping cold war crisis at times
  •  curious stranger

Posted 21 March 2007 - 08:54 AM

Ah ok, Ill wacht out then.

#10 AlexArt

AlexArt
  • Hosted
  • 209 posts
  • Projects:Real War Mod
  •  Programmer =)...

Posted 21 March 2007 - 04:03 PM

I'd suggest staying on ZH for now (and preferably until at least a first release). The fact of the matter is, CnC3 isn't exactly just a newer version of Generals, it's a different game. I has a different build system, no General powers (the system is based solely on money and seems considerally more limiting) and (hopefully changeable) bo airfield logic. Just because the next game offers fancier graphics doesn't necessitate a change and doesn't meen ZH will die. Look at Red Alert 2, the amount of modding has gone up since Generals came out.

Basically, I'd suggest not to switch until you're sure the game offers what you want.

I guess we'd try to find out what exactly C&C 3 offers to modders. Personally I am sure C&C 3 will be a kind of a hit for modders and we'll be able to change it in any way we like.

Please keep a full release on Zero Hour. I still need a new Processor for C&C3 (Finally got the graphics card)

BTW, what card did you get?
Posted Image
© Real War Mod 2004-2006.

#11 Cboidy8888

Cboidy8888

title available

• Project Team
  • 326 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 02:32 AM

Nothing great. A Radeon X1550 Stealth. But it works. Beats my 128mb X600 SE :p

#12 sweln

sweln
  • Members
  • 20 posts
  •  curious stranger

Posted 12 April 2007 - 03:08 PM

I'm hopping to get a new max 2000 euro computer in September / October, just because mine is soooo old and I'll have a mod for Crysis in mind (very easy to do :lol: ).

Anyone interrested in making a mod for Crysis in 6 months? ^^

#13 omecid

omecid
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  • Projects:Эктъ
  •  Имярек

Posted 22 April 2007 - 01:04 PM

What is max 2000 euro computer? Some european brand?
Posted Image

#14 sweln

sweln
  • Members
  • 20 posts
  •  curious stranger

Posted 22 April 2007 - 06:51 PM

No, it means I'm up to purchase a 2.000 euro computer. And it's a lot of money just for a comp! ^^

#15 Pendaelose

Pendaelose

Remix3 Modder

• Hosted
  • 5,687 posts
  • Projects:Remix Beta 1.0

Posted 01 May 2007 - 07:30 PM

Crysis modding looks to be any modders dream platform (if you have the system to run it). Myself, I'm trying to get my own mod pushed out inside of 6 months so I can be ready to start a Crysis mod when it hits the shelf.

And I already have a computer ready for it :huh:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Between now and the next polished release there should be very little new art work done. Instead the focus is on designing, testing, and fixing. the mod has always been so close to finished that its nearly criminal. I'd love to see this through to the end with a real community effort.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users