Posted 25 March 2007 - 11:29 PM

*renamed and edited topic* /Naz

Freezing Rain bug in SEE
¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

What happens is:
1. Press button
2) Timer starts
3) Sound FX is played
4) But NO RAIN, or only rain in certain graphical parts of the map????
In other words: IT'S MAP RELATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a complete list of this bug on all S.E.E. maps...
X = The rain bug, in some form...
CE = Collector's Edition map
BFME1 = Battle for Middle Earth 1 (converted) map
V = FIXED!
-------------

V Anfalas II (BFME1) No rain on the mountains at the top of the map???
- Anorien II (BFME1)
- Argonath (CE)
- Arnor
- Belfalas II (BFME1)
- Black Gate
V Black Gate II (BFME1) No rain on the tall mountains surrounding the Black Gate???
- Buckland
- Cair Andros
- Cair Andros II (BFME1)
- Celduin River
V Central Ithilien (BFME1) No rain on the mountains on the right of the map???
V Crossroads (BFME1) No rain on the top-right mountains and the hill top in the the bottom-right quadrant of the map???
- Dagorlad
- Dagorlad II (BFME1)
- Dead Marches
- Dead Marches II (BFME1)
X Dol Guldur: Rains everywhere except around the Castle and the Prison???
- Druadan Forest II (BFME1)
X Dunharrow II (BFME1) No rain on top of tall mountains???
- Dunland
- East Emnet II (BFME1)
- Eastern Rohan II (BFME1)
- Eastfold II (BFME1)
- Eaves of Fangorn II (BFME1)
- Edoras (BFME1)
- Emyn Arnen II (BFME1)
- Emyn Muil II (BFME1)
- Enedwaith
- Enedwaith II (BFME1)
V Erebor: Only above water???
- Ettenmoors (snow)
- Evendim
- Fangorn
- Fangorn II (BFME1)
V Fords of Isen II: Only above water???
V Fords of Isen II (BFME1) No rain by fortresses or upper-right of map. Only rained in lower-left map quadrant???
- Forlindon
- Forochel (CE)
- Gap of Rohan
- Gap of Rohan II (BFME1)
- Gondor
V Grey Havens: Works only above water, in shadows and certain parts of the map???
- Grey Mountains
- Halifirien II (BFME1)
- Harad
- Harlindon
- Harlindon (3 Players)
V Harlond II (BFME1) No rain on the top of two high hills???
V Harondor II (BFME1) No rain on top of far upper-right hill/mountain???
- Helm’s Deep
- High Pass
- Iron Hills
V Isengard: Doesn’t work at all!
- Ithilien
- Lebennin II (BFME1)
- Lorien
- Minas Morgul
XMinas Tirith: Rains all over except above level 2 of city???
- Minhiriath
- Mirkwood
- Mirkwood II (BFME1)
- Mordor
- Mount Doom
X Mount Doom II (BFME1) No rain on the slopes of Mt. Doom???
- Mouths of the Entwash II (BFME1)
- Near Harad II (BFME1)
V Northern Ithilien II (BFME1) No rain on the top-right mountains or on the hills above the forbidden pool???
- Nurn II (BFME1)
- Old Brown Lands II (BFME1)
- Osgiliath
- Osgiliath II (BFME1)
- Pelargir II (BFME1)
- Redhorn Pass (snow)
- Rhun
- Rhun II (BFME1)
XRivendell: Only above water???
- Shire
- Southern Ithilien II (BFME1)
- Tournament Hills
- Tournament Snow (CE)
- Tower Hills
- Udun
- Umbar (CE)
V Weather Hills: Works on half of the map???
- Weathertop (CE)
- West Emnet II (BFME1)
- Westfold II (BFME1)
- Withered Heath
- Wold II (BFME1)

>>> CREDIT to Úlairi for the Map Fixes!
>>> CREDIT to Lord of the Rings Junkie for finding the BFME1 map bugs!
>>> CREDIT to Rohara for converting the BFME1 maps to BFME2!

ORIGINAL POST below...
¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

I REEEAAALLLYYY wanna find the solution to the Isengard Freezing Rain bug, and guess what I discovered after brainstorming with Sulhero... He mentioned "are you sure the bug is on all maps?"... ssscha, I said since I've had the bug on all 5 maps I've played since this mod was converted (to -mod command) and released as v1.0. I never could solve that friggin thing so it's still there in v1.1 too, as you might know... :blush:

What you do not know is that I suddenly wanted to be reeeally sure that it had nothing to do with the conversion to -mod... SO... I decided to try and set the timer that had a #define value in Gamedata.ini (that is now in Default/Water.ini) like all other powers, to a value DIRECTLY in the rain's ini, just to be sure there was no "link problem" to Water.ini. Doing this, I also reset Science cost to 1 for all powers so I could start a map and try the rain in a few seconds... :xd:

NOW - doing this I started a map at random... and guess what - THE RAIN WORKED!!! I was extatic and said something like "YEEEAAAH YOU F-ING S..... I GOT YOU NOW!!!" (kind of, lol), and then I exit the game, set it back to the define reference, start it up, and tried the same map... and guess what (again) - IT STILL WORKED!!!??? WTF??? :huh:

This got me thinking of Sulheros suggestion - "U sure it works on all maps?". So, beeing a complete idiot like I am for going to this effort just to solve one bug, I decided to try ALL friggin 50 maps in the whole game. It took me about 1 hour or so, and here's the results!!!...

(SEE LIST ABOVE) ^^

SO... what's up with this??? This makes it seem like the bug has ALWAYS been there - but I've only just happened to never stuble upon it, cause of some freak reason I always managed to use the rain on one of those maps??? At least in my mod... ? In other words - is this a problem in the normal game too, that I just haven't discovered before, or is this for some reason related to the CE edition of the game... OR is it a bug in my mod? I never touched the map files, and I don't even know where they are? (EDIT: now I do, and I never touched them for sure - and they're not included in this mod. The map ini is the original ini only). So.. please, if you have any ideas now, with this information given to you, plz let me know! Also, if you know that you've played this game on those maps with the rain working, plz report that too... :D

Here's a pic of how it can act, on one of those maps that has the bug. This is Rivendell, and as you can see, the rain only covers the water!!!??? "tiny" bit weird, wouldn't you say? :ninja:

But it should be a bug in those MAPS, not in my mod then???

Posted Image

Edited by Nazgûl, 27 July 2008 - 11:18 AM.

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
"Do not come between the Nazgûl and his mod!"
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I S.E.E. YOU! <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#2 adummy

adummy

Keep it Clean!

• Project Team
  • 1,760 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 12:04 AM

did you change anything in the rain's ini? maybe you changed the height which it falls from, which could explain why it is raining over water because it is lower on the map.
Posted Image

#3 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  • Projects:BFME2 - Nazgûl's Special Extended Edition
  •  Veteran

Posted 26 March 2007 - 01:04 AM

No, no such changes. The only difference in the rains ini is the timer, which has the conversion tool's "M_" added to it. That's it... :/ But giving the ini a direct number like the 180000 (mseconds) or refering it to the macro in Water.ini, makes no difference. The bug maps still have the bug and the working maps still work. So Im wondering if this is in the unmodded game too?

But other than that I agree... it seems like a height issue which is pretty obvious at Minas Tirith where it only rains under level 2...

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#4 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 26 March 2007 - 06:58 PM

Were are these codes in the rain's ini refering too?
		RequirementsFilterMPSkirmish = SPELL_BOOK_REQUIREMENTS_FILTER
		RequirementsFilterStrategic = SPELL_BOOK_REQUIREMENTS_FILTER_STRATEGIC

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#5 zimoo

zimoo

Ecthelion of the Fountain

• Project Team
  • 2,009 posts
  • Projects:Lurking until the off topic begins...
  •  Guardian of the Books

Posted 26 March 2007 - 08:09 PM

#define SPELL_BOOK_REQUIREMENTS_FILTER NONE +COMMANDCENTER -FS_BASE_DEFENSE ; ;
#define SPELL_BOOK_REQUIREMENTS_FILTER_STRATEGIC NONE

-system.ini

Basically says it won't be available without a fortress, unless it's wotr.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Playing games? Ah, you'll never be a good modder if you get involved in actually playing them!

#6 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 26 March 2007 - 09:29 PM

Oh ok... f-ck... thought I might find something there. Well, I give up. Only thing left to check is the retail game. If the bug is there too (gotta play up until I get that power, and I hate the retail version *lol*), then I wont make any more efforts to solve this... I can just blame EA for it :grin:

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#7 Guest_Úlairi_*

Guest_Úlairi_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2007 - 02:55 PM

Umm...are you still having those problems with the rain?

If yes:
i read, that it only rains over water on fords of isen II

well,....
i changed the map a bit, now look at that:
[Posted Image
I don't know if its because i changed the map or because you already solved it yourself.
If your still having those "Rainbugs", i could try to change the other maps as well

Úlairi

#8 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 09 November 2007 - 03:20 PM

Whoooo? But... what did you do? In what way did you "change" the map, that obviously had this positive effect? :ohmy:

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#9 Sûlherokhh

Sûlherokhh

Sagacious Engineer

• Project Team
  • 3,754 posts
  • Projects:S.E.E., Sage A.I., Code Advisor
  •  'Axe'er of the Gordic Knot

Posted 09 November 2007 - 04:16 PM

Yeah. Now i am curious. :ohmy:

bannerreal01mittelit3.jpg
Axed Head and A.I. Coder for S.E.E. and ... stuff

".. coding is basically boring. What's fun is finding out how things work, take them apart and then put them together in ways that were not intended nor even conceived."

#10 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2007 - 04:53 PM

well you wrote the answer yourself:

But other than that I agree... it seems like a height issue which is pretty obvious at Minas Tirith where it only rains under level 2...

so i thought, I extract those maps, and look at their height and guess what:
erebor(bug): standart height 300
Fords of Isen(bug): standart height 300
Rivendell(bug): standart height 300
Forlindon (no bug): standart height 80

so i started changing the map height, and adjusted the the rest of the map (e.g. water areas) to the new map height
(bit complicated due to buggy worldbuilder( i want to lower 200 and it lowers 187,5 -.-))

well mainly thats it
i thought you had a mapper or something like it in your team and he already tried this, but it seems like you haven't tried it yet^^

If you want, i can change all those maps for you,

(bit suprised)
Úlairi

PS: nice to meet you again sulherokh :ohmy:

#11 Sûlherokhh

Sûlherokhh

Sagacious Engineer

• Project Team
  • 3,754 posts
  • Projects:S.E.E., Sage A.I., Code Advisor
  •  'Axe'er of the Gordic Knot

Posted 09 November 2007 - 05:21 PM

Yeah buddy! :p Small world it seems!

If you really are up for the task, i am all for it. But before you start we might wanna collect some data on which maps have this problem and which don't, just to make your job easier. Otherwise this is revelatory, hehe! :p

Nice to see you are still into mapping for BfMe. I hope our little project is to your liking. Having you help us out on some mapping matters is welcome help indeed. :ohmy:

bannerreal01mittelit3.jpg
Axed Head and A.I. Coder for S.E.E. and ... stuff

".. coding is basically boring. What's fun is finding out how things work, take them apart and then put them together in ways that were not intended nor even conceived."

#12 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 09 November 2007 - 05:38 PM

...so i started changing the map height, and adjusted the the rest of the map (e.g. water areas) to the new map height
(bit complicated due to buggy worldbuilder( i want to lower 200 and it lowers 187,5 -.-))

well mainly thats it
i thought you had a mapper or something like it in your team and he already tried this, but it seems like you haven't tried it yet^^

If you want, i can change all those maps for you,

(bit suprised)
Úlairi

PS: nice to meet you again sulherokh ^_^

Really... that "easy"??? :blink: COOL though! I thought this bug was impossible to fix! :crazed:
But no we have no mapper... we have HAD 2 mappers, but the first was not skilled enough and the second disapeared :sleep:
Maybe you'd like to join ud, to some extent? :xd:
QUESTION though: Changing the map height (or water areas?) ... won't that affect something visual other than the rain, or is it only a physical value for FX like the rain? :huh:

...before you start we might wanna collect some data on which maps have this problem and which don't, just to make your job easier. Otherwise this is revelatory, hehe! :p

AHEM!!! :shiftee: Sûl, buddy o pal... have you read this thread??? :evgr: *pointing to post 1* I actually spent like 40 years or something, on that list! :rolleyes:

EDIT: However, this list is from before we added the BFME1 maps, so I have no idea what goes on on those... or if this bug is on eny of them, or not =p Perhaps we should ask a BT to check that? =)

Edited by Nazgûl, 09 November 2007 - 05:43 PM.

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#13 Úlairi

Úlairi
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 05:44 PM

well to be honest im not mapping anymore, but after read this thread i was curious if i could solve the problem, so i tried it

so if you or the community could make a list, i could change the maps, so they work properly

may take some time, cause im currently pretty buisy with school :rolleyes:
but ill see what i can do :shiftee:

QUESTION though: Changing the map height (or water areas?) ... won't that affect something visual other than the rain, or is it only a physical value for FX like the rain? huh.gif "

well i didn't really understand that part of the sentence (my english is not that good^^)

I changed the map height (112.5 from 300) and lower all areas like water (-187.5)

when i played with isengard on it , i didn't noitced any problems

Edited by Úlairi, 09 November 2007 - 05:51 PM.

#14 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 09 November 2007 - 05:49 PM

Uh ok *respect* Thanks for registering though... :rolleyes:

But like I said to Sûl, the basic list is already up there, as I presume you have already seen :blink:
I will need to ask a BT to check the BFME1 maps though. I could NEVER to that work load again... cause in spring when I did it, I was sorta free from work, which I'm not these days :shiftee: But I'm sure I'll find someone to check the BFME1 maps :sleep:

In any way you'd like to help, we're honoured. If Sûl knows you, you must be a great guy :crazed:

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#15 zachdaddy_3000

zachdaddy_3000

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

• Project Team
  • 580 posts
  • Projects:Nazgul's BFMEII: Special Extended Edition

Posted 09 November 2007 - 09:14 PM

Oh you need a beta tester do you? :rolleyes:
Do not come between a Zach and his........Zach?

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 09 November 2007 - 09:22 PM

Indeed I do... If you would be up for this I could tell you how to gain the Freezing Rain at once so you could just start each BFME1 map and try the effect of the Rain (if it's visilbe all over).

Myself I'll be rather busy (when I'm not working IRL) to set up more skies and make more sky textures =)

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#17 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 10 November 2007 - 03:39 AM

*1st post updated with all BFME1 maps!* :rolleyes:

Edited by Nazgûl, 10 November 2007 - 03:39 AM.

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#18 Lord of the Rings Junkie

Lord of the Rings Junkie

Musn't hurt the Precious!

• Project Team
  • 827 posts
  • Projects:S.E.E., Gate Mod

Posted 10 November 2007 - 03:47 AM

I could do it. Plus I already know how to edit science and rank.ini.
"Et Earello Endorenna utulien.
Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar
tenn' Ambar-metta!"
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Don't come between The Lord of the Rings and its junkie!

#19 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 10 November 2007 - 03:53 AM

That would be awesome LJ... :shiftee:
You don't have to edit anything though, just list what maps have the bug. I think it's easier if the same person edit all needed maps to avoid misses when merging files (like have happened for me and Sul) :rolleyes:

It takes a while to test this, so... *respect* if you do it =)

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#20 Lord of the Rings Junkie

Lord of the Rings Junkie

Musn't hurt the Precious!

• Project Team
  • 827 posts
  • Projects:S.E.E., Gate Mod

Posted 10 November 2007 - 03:58 AM

You don't have to edit anything though, just list what maps have the bug.

I meant in the sense of getting freezing rain for testing right away. :rolleyes:
"Et Earello Endorenna utulien.
Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar
tenn' Ambar-metta!"
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Don't come between The Lord of the Rings and its junkie!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users