#1 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

5700 vxl files & counting...

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  • Projects:D-Day
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 01 April 2007 - 03:40 PM

I’ve only just started working on D-day again after a two month brake & to start things off I jumped into the deep end & made one of the most complex voxels I’ve ever made. The wing on the Vulcan isn’t your slandered shape & it also has four different angles to it, all of which are different sizes. So it’s not surprising that it took me 30min to make the fuselage & a whole day just to make the wing. This is the third Vulcan vxl I’ve made BTW (in fact the first vxl I ever made was a Vulcan!) & I get the feeling it won’t be my last...

Posted Image

I also added nine 3d images to the site, I wont post them here as it will make the thread lag like hell but here are links to them:

M48 Patton
Convair B-36 Peacemaker
Douglas C-47 Skytrain
A46
Amx-40
Mi-1 Hare
U-boat Type XXI
P26/40
Type 4 Chi-To

There are also new versions of the B-17 & E-100, which were taken with the newer version of the vxl viewer.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 raminator

raminator

Humba, Humba, Humba Tätärä

• Hosted
  • 1,600 posts
  • Projects:ehmmm don´t tell you :P
  •  der Biermeister hat gesprochen

Posted 01 April 2007 - 04:34 PM

really some great work there!

but somehow the amx-40 looks to me like it could need some more details...it looks too "blank/flat"
Posted Image
if ^ does not work click here
I support Xeno getting well. Go Xeno!

#3 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 01 April 2007 - 05:31 PM

Thats how it's ment to look TBH :/

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 Daz

Daz

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,654 posts
  •  Revora Co-Founder

Posted 01 April 2007 - 05:32 PM

Awesome.

If the Vulcan was 2 years younger we'd have been deprived of that voxel.

#5 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 01 April 2007 - 05:48 PM

I was originally going to make the Vickers Valiant which is more suited to the postwar time frame but the Vulcan just pwns more! I'll probably make new versions of the other two V-bomber as some point for my collection anyway tho :p

Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 Daz

Daz

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,654 posts
  •  Revora Co-Founder

Posted 01 April 2007 - 09:59 PM

Vulcans rock.

Several streets in the next town are named after planes because there used to be an airbase there (there's a full-size replica Spitfire mounted on one of the roundabouts) and there's Victor, Vulcan and Valiant Way :p

Should do a fully white one too.

Edit:
Something interesting for you.

Wikipedia's introduction states operation as being between 1953 and 1984.
The little stats box under the picture says it was introduced in 1956.

Even then there was only one Vulcan in 1956 and the next wasn't delivered until 1957.

Edited by Daz, 01 April 2007 - 10:10 PM.

#7 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 01 April 2007 - 10:50 PM

The B.1 prototype flew on August 30 1952 & went into production the next year with the first production Vulcan finished February 4 1955. The B.2 prototype flew on August 31 1957 & was in production about a year later. There was also a B.1A version too that where B.1 with B.2 modifications, I don’t have any dates on them as they where done sporadically over several years.

I hope that clears thing up :p

Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 Jeeves

Jeeves

I write the interwebz

• Members
  • 4,156 posts
  •  Friendly neighborhood standards Nazi

Posted 02 April 2007 - 01:22 AM

the Vulcan just pwns more!

QFT :p

World Domination Status: 2.7%

#9 wilmet

wilmet

muscles from brussels ?

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 01:39 PM

beauty :p

(it figures you`d chose to update on the first day I`m not by a PC :p )
apologising to the world on behalf of my country for the existence of Brussel sprouts and Jean Claude Vandame

"I'm not retreating, I'm just fighting in another direction" (anonymous US corporal, Korea)

work is sacred...so don't go near it.

#10 LEGO

LEGO

title available

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 04:40 AM

Strong and beauty. It was she delivered bombs to Folkland, after 25 years in serviece :p
BTW: I didn't know before that there was a time that RAF paint their logo on only one wing?

#11 Daz

Daz

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,654 posts
  •  Revora Co-Founder

Posted 03 April 2007 - 09:26 AM

Posted Image

I think there are some planes that have it on both and some planes that only have it on one, or they may have changed over time.

#12 Athena

Athena

Embody the Truth

• Undead
  • 6,946 posts
  •  Former Community Leader

Posted 05 April 2007 - 08:27 AM

Wow.. Posted Image very nice stuff :D.

#13 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 05 April 2007 - 03:39 PM

lol thx :D

Hay Daz did you just randomly find a pic or look specifically for an image of the same plane I based the voxel on?

Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 Daz

Daz

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,654 posts
  •  Revora Co-Founder

Posted 05 April 2007 - 05:14 PM

Haha, it was just the first picture showing the topside of a Vulcan that I found with Google image search.

#15 wilmet

wilmet

muscles from brussels ?

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 12:39 PM

quick question for the aircraft experts... was there any advantage for the B36 to have it`s engines set up like that (facing backwards) as opposed to how they are on say a B17? :p
apologising to the world on behalf of my country for the existence of Brussel sprouts and Jean Claude Vandame

"I'm not retreating, I'm just fighting in another direction" (anonymous US corporal, Korea)

#16 Jeeves

Jeeves

I write the interwebz

• Members
  • 4,156 posts
  •  Friendly neighborhood standards Nazi

Posted 06 April 2007 - 01:15 PM

In the B36, not especially, but it prevented propeller turbulence from interfering with airflow over the wing.
The major differences in pusher vs tractor configuration were mainly in WWI, where both were used. The main problem of the tractor configuration was firing forwards on single-engine craft, which was ruled out by interuptor gears in 1915. Pushers would typically have the props mid-aircraft, which would improve airflow over the control surfaces on the tail, and decrease drag. Rear thrust would be somewhat unstable, but that could also help manouvrebility.
Single-engine tractors typically have the engine at the front, which is safer in crashes or bailing out, improve airflow for cooling the engine, and not having a gap halfway down your plane, better structual stability and more workable aerodynamics.
On multi-prop wing-mounted aircraft, the difference is minimal, although pushers would have more problem with icing conditions.

World Domination Status: 2.7%

#17 wilmet

wilmet

muscles from brussels ?

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 04:45 PM

ah ok, thank you professor jeeves :p

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users