20 replies to this topic

#1 pf7612

pf7612
  • Project Team
  • 148 posts
  • Projects:Mapping for WotE and AoM, spreading general ideas all around
  •  Mapper, ini coder

Posted 05 April 2007 - 12:14 AM

I was thinking of a mod that would have to do with the history of Greece. Like the Wars against Persia, against each other, and eventually, the conquering of Greece by Rome. Their could be 5 factions:
1. Sparta
2. Athens
3. Rome
4. Persia
5. Greece (for certain battles like Thermopalye, where greeks banded together.)

If anyone is interested, I would need:
Modellers/Skinners
Mappers
Scripters/Coders
Ideas :D
Anyone that can get me a website
I would be the Mod leader/Coder

As I know, a lot of people would like to see some work done, but unfortunately, I only have a little and am away from my computer, so the only thing I could show you are some faction descriptions and a tech tree, depending on what I can remember of it :grin: .

All ideas and skills are welcome.
War-young men dying, old men talking.

"This ought to be the greatest gatherin' of pirate lords in our lifetime."
"And I owe them all money." - Hector Barbosa and Jack Sparrow

#2 Pixel

Pixel

• Hosted
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 01:39 AM

A battle of Thermopalye Modification would be pretty cool, I was thinking of that idea when i watched the movie 300 :D Just remember that Total Conversions are alot of work... Maybe you should just focus it on 2factions for a start...

Good luck! :grin:

#3 pf7612

pf7612
  • Project Team
  • 148 posts
  •  Mapper, ini coder

Posted 05 April 2007 - 02:12 AM

A battle of Thermopalye Modification would be pretty cool, I was thinking of that idea when i watched the movie 300 :D Just remember that Total Conversions are alot of work... Maybe you should just focus it on 2factions for a start...

Good luck! :)

Yeah, that movie was a big inspiration ;) . Yes, I know that this will take a while, so for now, I'm only really going to focus on Sparta and Persia in the first public beta (a loooooong while from now) and then Athens, Rome and Greece (only available for certain missions, like Thermopalye) for the second. Finally we'll focus solely on the campaigns and maps. Once I get a team assembeled and get some work done of course :grin: .

Thanks FlameGuard.
As soon as you need those descriptions, I'll be happy to help :cool: .

#4 zimoo

zimoo

Ecthelion of the Fountain

• Project Team
  • 2,009 posts
  • Projects:Lurking until the off topic begins...
  •  Guardian of the Books

Posted 05 April 2007 - 08:32 AM

I'd personally combine Athens and Greece, along with Macedonia to represent the armies under Alexander. Spartans were pretty much selfish loners so they could do with their own faction.

Then if you need another faction add Carthage or Thrace.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Playing games? Ah, you'll never be a good modder if you get involved in actually playing them!

#5 pf7612

pf7612
  • Project Team
  • 148 posts
  •  Mapper, ini coder

Posted 05 April 2007 - 11:48 AM

I'd personally combine Athens and Greece, along with Macedonia to represent the armies under Alexander. Spartans were pretty much selfish loners so they could do with their own faction.

Then if you need another faction add Carthage or Thrace.

Yeah those are some great ideas, but I don't want to get ahead of myself. After I get the first 5 done, I'll probably do a couple more factions. First, I will require a team :D .

P.S. Selfish Loners? How about the best damn warriors in the known world! They didn't need much help (most of the time).

Edited by pf7612, 05 April 2007 - 11:49 AM.

#6 zimoo

zimoo

• Project Team
  • 2,009 posts
  •  Guardian of the Books

Posted 05 April 2007 - 12:29 PM

I prefer the Greeks who actually aided Alexander during his journey, but I'm a Macedonian fanboy as opposed to a Spartan fanboy :cool:

And they weren't the best warriors in the world. They were beaten a few times by similar (and even inferior) numbered troops, just because of their lack of strategy.

Spartan battle plan:

Form a phalanx line, push against the enemy until they're all dead :D

Way to counter:

Flank :grin:

I agree about starting off small though. Your plan to just focus on Sparta/Persia at first sounds good.

BTW, any idea how you are going to represent phalanxes? Cause with BFME1 horde sizes a phalanx would be pretty useless.

Also...you say you were inspired by 300? Does this mean the Spartans are going to go into battle wearing nappies, or will they use their historical armour?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Playing games? Ah, you'll never be a good modder if you get involved in actually playing them!

#7 pf7612

pf7612
  • Project Team
  • 148 posts
  •  Mapper, ini coder

Posted 05 April 2007 - 12:40 PM

I prefer the Greeks who actually aided Alexander during his journey, but I'm a Macedonian fanboy as opposed to a Spartan fanboy ;)

And they weren't the best warriors in the world. They were beaten a few times by similar (and even inferior) numbered troops, just because of their lack of strategy.

Spartan battle plan:

Form a phalanx line, push against the enemy until they're all dead :grin:

Way to counter:

Flank :cool:

I agree about starting off small though. Your plan to just focus on Sparta/Persia at first sounds good.

BTW, any idea how you are going to represent phalanxes? Cause with BFME1 horde sizes a phalanx would be pretty useless.

Also...you say you were inspired by 300? Does this mean the Spartans are going to go into battle wearing nappies, or will they use their historical armour?

Most armies didn't discover flanking for a while, and I said warriors, not strategists :D .
300 was an inspiration, but I would like the historical look with bronze armor, not in their skivvies ;) .
Representing Phalanxes will be difficult, but I had an idea in mind. Is it possible to make more than one battalion combine? If so, you could combine 4 or 5 battalions and have a phalanx. Also, I would try to implement something like the dwarven Charge in BFME2, where they could do a minor amount of damage while knocking them down, and then finish them off. Also, the spartans could switch from spear to sword, and have extreme resistance to arrows while using spears.
That is because when in a Phalanx and using a spear, not much movement is required, so your shield could be up almost the whole time. If the Phalanx breakes, or their using swords, more movement is required.

That'l be a lot of work :) !

#8 zimoo

zimoo

• Project Team
  • 2,009 posts
  •  Guardian of the Books

Posted 05 April 2007 - 01:02 PM

So your idea is:

Build single lines of spearmen (probably 5) one at a time. Combine these all up (probably until a certain limit) to eventually add more depth to the formation?

If so that would be possible (albeit tedious coding) and a very nice idea :D. I'm guessing they'd get armour boost/speed loss as they add more lines?

Flanking was always predominant in warfare as far as I know. Let's face it, it doesn't take a genius to work out that a unit is more vulnerable at the rear :cool:.

Good to hear about the historical armour :grin:

Aye, a spear/sword toggle would be nice if you could differentiate between the two. In standard BFME, there is no difference really. Spearmen don't get increased range, nor do swordsmen get faster attacks. If you could implement that then it'd work well IMO.

This mod sounds great BTW, good luck with it.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 pf7612

pf7612
  • Project Team
  • 148 posts
  •  Mapper, ini coder

Posted 05 April 2007 - 01:11 PM

So your idea is:

Build single lines of spearmen (probably 5) one at a time. Combine these all up (probably until a certain limit) to eventually add more depth to the formation?

If so that would be possible (albeit tedious coding) and a very nice idea :D. I'm guessing they'd get armour boost/speed loss as they add more lines?

Flanking was always predominant in warfare as far as I know. Let's face it, it doesn't take a genius to work out that a unit is more vulnerable at the rear :cool:.

Good to hear about the historical armour :grin:

Aye, a spear/sword toggle would be nice if you could differentiate between the two. In standard BFME, there is no difference really. Spearmen don't get increased range, nor do swordsmen get faster attacks. If you could implement that then it'd work well IMO.

This mod sounds great BTW, good luck with it.

Yes, that's my idea in a nutshell. Armor boosts and speed decreases too. Tedious coding indeed. That's why I'm going to need more coders than myself, along with the other positions on the team. Once I get a team.
Thanks, zimoo ;) .

#10 pf7612

pf7612
  • Project Team
  • 148 posts
  •  Mapper, ini coder

Posted 05 April 2007 - 02:34 PM

Sorry about the double post but... I just used {IP}Gil-Galad's Faction Creator (nice job!), and in the Article, it said that I have to change something in the civilianbuilding.ini. What exactly do I have to do?

#11 Pixel

Pixel

• Hosted
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 04:18 PM

civilianbuilding.ini, Is mainly for .bse(base) files for your new factions and such... Basicly you wont be able to play with your new factions unless you have new bse(base) files set up....

#12 pf7612

pf7612
  • Project Team
  • 148 posts
  •  Mapper, ini coder

Posted 05 April 2007 - 04:22 PM

civilianbuilding.ini, Is mainly for .bse(base) files for your new factions and such... Basicly you wont be able to play with your new factions unless you have new bse(base) files set up....

Right, I knew that, I thought that I had to do something else. Ok. Thanks FlameGuard.

#13 Eonwe

Eonwe

title available

• Project Team
  • 534 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 12:42 AM

Sounds like a Awesome Idea. Factions I thought of

Athens (greeks)
Sparta
Persia
Rome
Carthrage
Byzantines
Turks

Thats expanding the roman wars. Just keep the top four. Would you make this also for ROTWK. Not many mods for it.

#14 Pixel

Pixel

• Hosted
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 05:04 AM

It would work better with bfme1 with pre-built castles... In my opinion.

Edited by FlameGuard, 11 April 2007 - 05:05 AM.

#15 zimoo

zimoo

• Project Team
  • 2,009 posts
  •  Guardian of the Books

Posted 11 April 2007 - 09:37 AM

Aren't byzantines and turks horrifically out of place in a mod like this?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 11 April 2007 - 12:39 PM

AFAIK :grin:

anyways, good luck on the mod :blink:

and eh... there are actually quite a few mods out for RotWK already :blink:

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

#17 pf7612

pf7612
  • Project Team
  • 148 posts
  •  Mapper, ini coder

Posted 12 April 2007 - 12:45 AM

AFAIK ^_^

anyways, good luck on the mod :lol:

and eh... there are actually quite a few mods out for RotWK already ;)

Thanks, but unfortunately, my computer crashed and I lost all my work :) :) ;) .
But, I have gotten some work done, I have Sparta about 60% coded. Just need to do the .bse files. I don't think I'm going to code in any units yet, at least until I get all the models and skins for them. If anyone wants to make a model and skin for me, just pm me. This would be a great help because I have to get the .bse files done, and I suck at modelling and skinning :p .

#18 Feudal_Knight

Feudal_Knight

Pacman

• Project Team
  • 244 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 03:00 PM

Byzantines
Turks

:lol:

EDIT - blah blah blah and i made this :p

was in a mood... kinda odd but still :p if ya want the spartan on it its yours...

Attached Thumbnails

• spartannn.jpg

Edited by Feudal_Knight, 12 April 2007 - 05:42 PM.

#19 Eonwe

Eonwe

title available

• Project Team
  • 534 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 08:03 PM

The byzantines was the eastern roman empire. When Alexander beat persia the turks became the enemy of Europe.

Just do what you can.

#20 Pixel

Pixel

• Hosted
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 08:35 PM

I may have some remains of Fall of an Empire that i can allow you to use....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users