#41 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 19 April 2007 - 07:48 AM

Yeaa I always though that the Nod Subterranean Transport was VERY imbalance since you could load up infantry and even Engineers, scout your enemy's base for weaknesses, then drive 2-3 of them loaded up right in the center of your enemy's base and just cause mass havoc!

Westwood thought of that. Pavement for the win! :mad2:

#42 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts
  • Projects:DoW AI Scripting Project
  • Division:DoW
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 19 April 2007 - 11:18 AM

And a defence against sub-terranean units would be concrete pavement like TS.

There was buildable concrete pavement in TS? Don't think so. That would make TS like SimCity if they implemented that which is too cumbersome. So no the Subterranean Transport is still too easy to abuse.
Advanced Skirmish AI Team Lead for the coolest Warhammer40k PC RTS out there:

Dawn of War Advanced AI Headquarters

Latest DoW Advanced AI Download!

#43 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 11:28 AM

I DO think so. I believe it was a 2x2 square you could build. And, of course, you only needed to build it between your structures (although you could build on top of it).

Remember Dune 2000? You had to build pavement there too to stop sand damage or sandworms popping up in the middle of your base. Same difference.

#44 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 12:02 PM

I remember in Dune 2 and 2000 but in the C&C series? Doubt that. Concrete Fences I remember.

#45 Stealthsnake

Stealthsnake

Battles of Gondor mod leader

• Hosted
  • 976 posts
  • Projects:Battles of Gondor
  •  coder, skinner, mapper, graphics

Posted 19 April 2007 - 03:00 PM

there is pavement in TS, i always put it all over my base, and put mobile sensers things up.
Posted Image
Posted Image
a mod for rotwk, includes Harad, Rhun, Rohan and Southern Fiefdoms Factions, beta released, site/forums for the mod is here.

#46 Athgar

Athgar
  • Project Team
  • 207 posts
  • Projects:Czerion
  •  Crazy Monkey Pirate

Posted 19 April 2007 - 03:53 PM

I own the game, and have played it recently. And yes there is pavement in TS.
Posted Image

#47 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 03:57 PM

Yea the mobile deployable sensors found stealthed units. Pavement stopped Nod subterranean incursions. Subterranean engi rushes are more viable in RA2 mods including sub transports than they ever were :mad2:

#48 Nighthawk

Nighthawk

Grumble Grumble.

• Division Leaders
  • 2,947 posts
  • Projects:The Third War, Ares, misc side projects.
  •  Strategist and Modder
  • Division:C&C Guild
  • Association

Posted 19 April 2007 - 04:00 PM

So then marking the pavement terrain in C&C3 as impassable to units with the subterranean locomotor would solve the problem. Although now I think on it, wouldn't that mean they can't drive over its surface either?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Job Openings with the Guild: Division Staff, News Posters.
Job Openings with Ares: Documentation Maintainer, Active Testers.

PM if interested.

#49 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 05:54 PM

Oh man.. guess its been 8+ years since TS.. wow... So out of it.

#50 Stealthsnake

Stealthsnake

Battles of Gondor mod leader

• Hosted
  • 976 posts
  • Projects:Battles of Gondor
  •  coder, skinner, mapper, graphics

Posted 19 April 2007 - 06:12 PM

Yea the mobile deployable sensors found stealthed units. Pavement stopped Nod subterranean incursions. Subterranean engi rushes are more viable in RA2 mods including sub transports than they ever were :mad2:

you could detect where suib units are too with senser arrays.
Posted Image
Posted Image
a mod for rotwk, includes Harad, Rhun, Rohan and Southern Fiefdoms Factions, beta released, site/forums for the mod is here.

#51 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 06:21 PM

you could detect where suib units are too with senser arrays.

Never said ye couldn't. Main use was for spotting stealthies tho. :)

So then marking the pavement terrain in C&C3 as impassable to units with the subterranean locomotor would solve the problem. Although now I think on it, wouldn't that mean they can't drive over its surface either?

Your solution would make driving over it impossible, yeah. However in TS sub units could traverse the surface. They could burrow underneath to pop up at the other side of it, too; they just couldn't surface through it or dig-down into it. They would drive along and then burrow down at first sign of any 'diggable' terrain.

#52 JEV3

JEV3

Mighty Armadillo

• Hosted
  • 719 posts
  • Projects:Game Enhancement Mod
  •  Coder, Skinner, Graphics, GEM Mod Leader
  • Job:T3A Chamber Member

Posted 24 April 2007 - 07:28 PM

I have heard that all the cool Tiberian Wildlife from TS isn't really implemented in this game and it dissapoints me that the ion storms don't come up randomly anymore... :(

I also want to see the return of some of the cool things from TS... like the FS walls and stuff... Another thing I want done is:

"Red Zones are places where Tiberium has mutated so bad it is no longer recognizable as earth"

I have been told that the red zones don't look that bad... I think that new textures with tiberian grass and stuff that does not damage you, and mutated trees that aren't blossom trees would make it work... The Italian Red Zone should be like an alien jungle... for all I know it could be a desert with a little tiberium here and there...

When a mod comes out that fixes it then I'll definitely think about getting CnC3... but for now... FS ftw!

And no I am not a CnC3 modder and won't be until I have run out of projects for BFME... and even then I'll probably do a little bit of both...
He who bears skill but lacks effort, makes himself inferior to those who have no skill but try nonetheless.
Posted Image
Posted Image
"There is some good in this world, and its worth fighting for!"
J.M.J.

#53 Guest_KotCR_*

Guest_KotCR_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2007 - 12:58 AM

I DO think so. I believe it was a 2x2 square you could build. And, of course, you only needed to build it between your structures (although you could build on top of it).

There was concrete pavement in Tiberian Sun that stopped subterranean units rising/digging, but it wasn't exactly 100% effective, unless you filled your base up with it before you build any structures.

This is because with several structures there was gaps in the corners that subterranean units could rise/dig at, and after you had already placed the structure, you could no longer place concrete into these corners. For this reason (seems you didn't always have time to slap concrete pavement everywhere before building any structures at all in the game) IMO the subterranean units were still overpowered (though it could fall under the category of 'bugs'), aswell as it being more or less superior to GDI's mobility speciality (amphibious/hover) in every way, seems often there was not much reason to stay on water (no proper naval forces in the game, after all), that just going under ground to become immune to damage seemed very much more viable (albeit I didn't mind it too much; it suited Nods character and GDI are supposed to be more about an up-front hammer-smack than sneaky stealth tactics).

Speaking of which, everybody mentions how Nod seem to have completely disregarded their subterranean technology, which seems silly (and I agree, it does), but people do not seem to be mentioning that GDI have also apparently forgotten their hover technology.

Afterall, the Hover MLRS could have filled in the GDI Pitbull Jeep's current role perfectly, so why didn't they just use that?

Alongside the lack of walkers (though the lack of walkers is midly explained in the intel files - GDI got worried people would C4 their legs or something - not a good enough excuse IMO but still), and the lack of subterranean units, the lack of any hover units whatsoever is also something that disappointed me.

Still, despite this, as I take it as it is, I do think it is a pretty good game.

#54 Nighthawk

Nighthawk

Grumble Grumble.

• Division Leaders
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Strategist and Modder
  • Association

Posted 01 May 2007 - 06:49 PM

EA's explanation on the hover units being out was that the cost of GDI trying to maintain these units became too much, and it was more economically viable to go back to jeeps. Kind of a stupid explanation considering that they were reasonably cheap in TS ($900 I think).
Posted Image
Posted Image

PM if interested.

#55 Master Windu

Master Windu

The Master.

• Advisors
  • 2,150 posts
  • Projects:Galaxy at War, Rhovanion Alliance
  •  T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 01 May 2007 - 10:48 PM

It's just plain stupid, why would they do that? I would say that they must have a good reason for it, but what could possibly be a good reason for that?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#56 Nemoricus

Nemoricus

Dragon Awesomeness for the Win!

• Project Team
  • 1,110 posts
  • Projects:FC Alpha tester, Enigma Advisor

Posted 01 May 2007 - 11:38 PM

Hmm...Reasoning? How about a return to traditional C&C, i.e. Tiberian Dawn?

They did it to attract people who liked the original game. Thus, loss of Tiberian Sun's special units and technology.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#57 TX1138

TX1138

TEXT UNRELATED

• Project Team
  • 866 posts
  • Projects:...
  •  Giant Spectrum Panda

Posted 02 May 2007 - 07:53 AM

Nemoricus makes a great point there. To me, there are three things that make a CnC game; MCV's, the Sidebar, and the Mammoth Tank :)

And if you think about it, CNC3 is quite a big leap from Generals :xd: I mean Dozers as construction units? Seriously, what were EA thinking? :p Nothing in Generals was CnC, they just slapped on Command & Conquer to the title to boost the sales ;)

And why are so many people complaining about the lack of the Mammoth MkII? ;) It was just a complete rip-off of the AT-AT from Star Wars :crazed: And the fact that they put 'Mammoth' in the name just made it worse :dry: The lack of the Mammoth Tank in Tiberian Sun really ruined the game for me, as every other CnC game had a Mammoth Tank in it (excluding Generals, but that really cant be classified as CnC, can it :cool2:)

EA, could have done a lot better, but they could have done a lot worse :dry: And perhaps if we all keep complaining about the lack of subterranean units, they might have one in the expansion :p

Edited by TX1138, 02 May 2007 - 08:39 AM.

Posted Image

Realism is so overrated it isn't even funny. You already know what happens in reality, how is that entertaining...?

#58 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  • Projects:Revora, C&C:Online
  •  Thought Police
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 02 May 2007 - 10:48 AM

Or we keep complaining and then mod it in ourselves :crazed:

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

Sieben Elefanten hatte Herr Dschin
Und da war dann noch der achte.
Sieben waren wild und der achte war zahm
Und der achte war's, der sie bewachte.

#59 Nighthawk

Nighthawk

Grumble Grumble.

• Division Leaders
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Strategist and Modder
  • Association

Posted 02 May 2007 - 04:05 PM

Knowing EA though they've probably removed the ability to put in subterranean units, so they can keep as much of 'their' C&C in mods as possible.
Posted Image
Posted Image

PM if interested.

#60 MCV

MCV

title available

• Hosted
  • 737 posts
  • Projects:Uh... I'm writing a NGE/GitS/Lain/Snow Crash crossover fanfic?
  •  Decipherer of Paradox' legal talk.

Posted 02 May 2007 - 08:59 PM

Lets face it guys, EA just wants to make a shitload of money, which they do this way:

They don't actually make C&C3. What they do is the following:

First, they decide upon the sides:

USA
Terrorists
Aliens

USA because it will appeal best to players in the US. (Ignoring that, population wise, US<EU and US<World)
Terrorists because of militarisitc nutjobs who just want to kill Al-Queda.
Aliens because everybody knows you can't make a game without a Third Side which is radically different from the two other. (See Yuri, E:BFD Ordos, and others. [Also see Starcraft and AoW for examples that it is possible]) Aliens have the added benefit of being mysterious so you can give them anything you want in their arsenal.

THen they put some poor corporate wage slave to search through their databse of licences, using the following terms: USA+Terrorist+Aliens+Money. The wage slave finds the following sentence: "In Tiberian Sun, the terrorist organization the Brotherhood of Nod steal artifacts from an Alien craft that has crashlanded in the USA." A quick summary of the game also contains the term "Money"

Further research shows that the game allready has a huge fanbase, who are destinied to buy the game. EA says go, and starts developing.

The first thing they do is to ask some guy to write down the storyline of the game in one document, so they can use it as a master-script when making the game. When showing the 20-page scrip to his boss, the boss deicides he would rather go golfing today, and asks for a 1/2 page summary. He writes the summary down in his notebook, and publishes this as the master script to save time.

The developers sees that they actually have to make the sides the same as they were in the previous games, so they call the USA for GDI and the terrorists for NOD (North Oman Donkeys) The development team is split into two groups, on for Global Defence Initiative, and one for North Oman Donkeys.

WHile the development team is discussing, one from the Nod team decides that he needs closer information, so he picks up a copy of Tiberian Sun from an old EA storrage. Before he can install the game it is stolen by a person from the GDI team, who upon installing decides that the game is too dark for him to play so he plays Tiberian Dawn instead. THe NOD Guy starts plotting out Nod units, powers and structures based on what he saw on the back side of TS, while the GDI guy sums up the units in TD.

THen management decides to switch the teams around, which causes NOD to get their funnily shaped Flame Tanks and GDI to actually have the Juggernaut. The ideas are then sent to graphics, and the whole development team starts to work with the aliens.

The graphics department is lead by a dominating guy who has never actually seen a tank up close, but still decides how all the tanks should look.

The Alien people suddenly find out that there actually is a race of aliens in C&C, and they find out that thye can use the name. (Which explains why it took so long time before thye called the aliens Scrin.)

Then, they hire a scriptwright who makes medicore B-movies, and hire a bunch of Sci-Fi people who all have acted in movies and series from a world set 5000 years into they future, thinking this will help the in the world set 40 years from now. The scriptwright is the only perosn actually does something, but he is not allowed to see the previous cutsceenes, believeing this might cause him to make a story that is too complicated for your average pr0n-addicted-12-year-old to follow. (Namely, more than three characters per side)

Thye also hire a bunch of people from MIT, denying them acces to source material but still expecting them to understand tiberium. When their final result does not look as expected, EA fires them all and reuses the old tibeirum, but without the pods (How the fuck does plant grow through the ground?!)

They then release the source-material to about five people, telling them to "patch up any holes that might have arrisen."

After finally joining the FMV team, the GDI/NOD team, the environment team and the Scrin team, EA puts up a month of ballancing before thye go gold.

(If you actually read through this I'll give you a summary of what is bad in C&C3:)
  • Americanization of GDI
  • Ignoring TS & FS
  • Turning Nod, a very special terrorist organization with own agendas (WTF happened to divination?) into a futuristic GLA.
  • Poor implementation of Scrin
  • Loss of canon. (Get the dates right at least...)
  • "Ballancing" of Superweapons (They are all equal. That's not ballancing.)
  • Complete loss of all that was cool (MMKII, the Forgotten, CABAL, Walls)
  • Railgunless railguns

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users