duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Artist

Posted 16 April 2007 - 07:42 PM

http://news.bbc.co.u...cas/6560685.stm

kinda strange how the US culture these days has "shoot the brightest people around you" as one of its standards. though it is tragic, it is almost a part of the american dream these days it seems.

i could blame gun politics for it, but theres just as many guns in the states per citizen as there is in this country i'm hiding in. so it has to be connected to the culture and mentality of the people.

i wonder what goes through people's minds when they do something like this... what is it about higher education and mass murders that match so well together?

Edited by duke_Qa, 16 April 2007 - 07:43 PM.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#2 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 16 April 2007 - 07:49 PM

I heard the guy was looking for his girlfriend. o_0

Schizophrenic/psychotic episode, perhaps?

#3 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Job:Artist

Posted 16 April 2007 - 07:56 PM

i got a theory that the higher the intelligence on people, the easier it gets for them to become unstable, kinda like overclocking.

but it didnt sound like this guy was a student at the school at all, so it might be a rogue in that matter. perhaps its like the moon turned certain people into lunatics back in the good-old days. the entire place just makes someone tick.

Edited by duke_Qa, 16 April 2007 - 07:56 PM.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#4 Soul

Soul

Divine Chaos

• Project Team
  • 3,781 posts
  • Projects:Sigma Invasion
  •  This person isn't important

Posted 17 April 2007 - 12:41 AM

Well this is messed up.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Soul 2.4

Background process. Has something to do with some activity going on somewhere. Sorting junkmail, I think. No value or interest. Doesn't do much except hog resource.

#5 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 17 April 2007 - 04:14 AM

Happened a few hours away from me. Seems the guy is asian, shot his ex gf and her roomate, than decided to shoot and kill 31 other people as well as injure 28 more.

That, to me, is alot of rounds fired. Assuming only one in four shots actually hit someone, to kill 32 people and injure 28 others is some amazing focus of personal fire power.

And he did this with only one 9mm and a .22 calbur pistol.

#6 MSpencer

MSpencer

Think Tank... Legend?

• Hosted
  • 4,120 posts
  • Projects:Admin @ Meaaov Gaming, university studies, ugh... research. GNP's Flagship of the Left.
  •  Angry, angry bastard.

Posted 17 April 2007 - 06:48 AM

We were talking about this on Teamspeak today as the story developed. A friend of mine called the 9mm handgun at about 1 PM today... 5 hours before it was announced. His main point was that it's easy to get and it has killing power if in the right hands. Lots of rounds, clearly planned given the sheer amount of rounds fired... unbelievable too... horrible...
Posted Image
My Favorite Website.My UniversityAnd... Mein Kampf?
C. elegans for President

#7 Mastermind

Mastermind

Server Technician

• Undead
  • 7,014 posts
  • Projects:MasterNews 3
  •  The Man Behind the Curtain

Posted 17 April 2007 - 07:20 AM

We were talking about this on Teamspeak today as the story developed. A friend of mine called the 9mm handgun at about 1 PM today... 5 hours before it was announced. His main point was that it's easy to get and it has killing power if in the right hands. Lots of rounds, clearly planned given the sheer amount of rounds fired... unbelievable too... horrible...

Yeah. If I ever purchase my own gun it will likely be some form of 9mm. Personally I would be mostly getting it for target shooting, and possibly depending on the laws of whatever state I'm living in, conceal and carry. It really doesn't take that much effort to be competent with a handgun. I have taken 3 PE classes where we shoot .22 pistol one-handed, and on a good day I can get all of my rounds (50 or so) to hit the paper on NRA B2 and B3 targets 50 feet away, which are squares 9-10 (approximately) inches on a side. On a not so good day I'll miss with a few rounds, but not many. It's just a matter of knowing how to use the sights, and practicing good trigger control.
Posted Image

Well, when it comes to writing an expository essay about counter-insurgent tactics, I'm of the old school. First you tell them how you're going to kill them. Then you kill them. Then you tell them how you just killed them.

Too cute! | Server Status: If you can read this, it's up |

#8 Athgar

Athgar
  • Project Team
  • 207 posts
  • Projects:Czerion
  •  Crazy Monkey Pirate

Posted 17 April 2007 - 03:35 PM

But why? Why do you need guns?
Posted Image

#9 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Job:Leader

Posted 17 April 2007 - 03:49 PM

For protection o'course. Hell, if I lived in America, I'd be packing too, knowing what lunatics are legally ALLOWED to carry guns around there.

Now lets wait for people to start saying something should happen, and that it should happen now, and how terrible all this is, and that it cant happen again, and how it could happen anywhere. Like all the other times.

This will happen again, and you won't do anything to stop it but remember all the other times and say how bad it all is. We've seen it all before.

Edited by Matias, 17 April 2007 - 03:53 PM.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#10 m@tt

m@tt

#######

• Project Team
  • 4,056 posts
  • Projects:The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 17 April 2007 - 04:20 PM

I personally think it is ridiculous that guns are legal at all, even though it's in the constitution. Do any of the American's here think they should be outlawed, even if it is extremely unlikely?
Posted Image

#11 Tom

Tom

title available

• Undead
  • 8,475 posts
  • Projects:Life
  •  Co-Founder of Revora

Posted 17 April 2007 - 04:28 PM

Some americans will. I use to be against weapons and believed they should be outlawed, but with the fragile states of our societies now I'm more for the legalisation of weapons.

These incidences do happen, but even when guns are outlawed the leaw abiding citizens hand in their weapons, leaving organised crime and other criminals with weapons. It doesn't work as easy as people think it does. Even if weapons are outlawed, there is nothing to stop people getting guns and still committing school shootings.

However no doubt there will be a campaign in the next few years to disarm the US population, its an obvious phase that will appear.

#12 Cossack

Cossack

title available

• Project Team
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 11:22 PM

Guns should be outlawed. If there were no guns there would be nothing to protect oursleves against and no need to have guns in the first place.

About a week ago somebody posted a thret that he was going to repeat columbineat our school on aprl 20th, but apparently he is now in a mental institution. Still, about 85% of my school aren't going to show up on friday (this percentage likely raised about 50 points after the vrginia shootigs), but Im still going to school.

We can't be ruled by fear, that's exactly what these sick people want.

#13 Cheshire Fox

Cheshire Fox

El Hombre Sinestro

• Hosted
  • 755 posts
  • Projects:Keeping Apocalypse and Wrath alive
  •  Apocalypse Admin, Wrath of Orion Admin

Posted 17 April 2007 - 11:38 PM

I'm not sure it's really fair or appropiate to blame America for having these school shootings. You're kind of stereotyping us. Virginia is completely different from up here in New England. We have much stricter gun laws. If you have any type of violent crime on your record, you can't get a concealed weapons licence. It's pretty dificult to get a gun licence at all. In Virginia, if you have a gun licence you can get a concealed weapons licence, no questions asked.

In my opinion, it's absolutely ridiculous that civilians can buy guns at all. They weapons can hardly serve any purpose except violence! They should be reserved strictly for police and armed forces. However, I find it disgusting that the immediate reaction to this horrible tragedy should be to use it as a political bludgeon.
Posted Image
This is the place where all the junkies go, where time gets fast but everything gets slow.
I'll get to the moon if I have to crawl.
The problem with any government is that it eventually attracts politicians.

#14 adummy

adummy

Keep it Clean!

• Project Team
  • 1,760 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 01:31 AM

Guns dont cause violence, people cause violence. Gun just does the damage. If guns are outlawed, we would just fight with something else like humananity and every other creature in this world has in the past. I am not saying every single person should get a gun and that it should be easy for people to get one (like what the NRA thinks). Also, I agree its not fair to sterotype us Americans for this happening. And the guy that shot everyone wasnt even a full American citizen. He had a student visa here and was from South Korea (but its not like where he's from really matters (unless it was an enemy of the US)).

Edited by adummy, 18 April 2007 - 01:32 AM.

Posted Image

#15 Mastermind

Mastermind

Server Technician

• Undead
  • 7,014 posts
  • Projects:MasterNews 3
  •  The Man Behind the Curtain

Posted 18 April 2007 - 01:37 AM

Guns should be outlawed. If there were no guns there would be nothing to protect oursleves against and no need to have guns in the first place.

Knives, baseball bats, fists, a group of people, all serve quite well as weapons.
Posted Image

Well, when it comes to writing an expository essay about counter-insurgent tactics, I'm of the old school. First you tell them how you're going to kill them. Then you kill them. Then you tell them how you just killed them.

Too cute! | Server Status: If you can read this, it's up |

#16 Cossack

Cossack

title available

• Project Team
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 02:39 AM

Knives, baseball bats, fists, a group of people, all serve quite well as weapons.

I would be more than happy if everyone carried around knives and baseball bats instead of guns. You cam't kill 33 people in a matter of minutes with a knive or a baseball bat.

#17 Cossack

Cossack

title available

• Project Team
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 07:36 PM

Again, you can't kill 33 people in a mater of minutes with a newspaper. You can with a gun.

Guns have the highest ratio of availabilty vs. kill rate. Thats why they need to be outlawed.

#18 CodeCat

CodeCat

Half fox, half cat, and all insanity!

• Members
  • 3,768 posts
  •  Fighting for equality of all species

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:33 PM

Guns don't kill by themselves. People can kill by themselves, but aren't very good at it. Bring gun and person together, and you've combined the end and the means.

Oh, and while there are other things that are capable of killing, all of them are actually made for another purpose. But can any of you give me a use for a gun besides killing or threatening to do so? That is what makes it a WEAPON, people. It's specifically made to harm others. So explain to me, why are tools made to harm others freely available, while things that are capable of harming none other than yourself are illegal? Isn't that a bit backward?
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

#19 Tom

Tom

title available

• Undead
  • 8,475 posts
  • Projects:Life
  •  Co-Founder of Revora

Posted 18 April 2007 - 09:24 PM

The idea of guns being a consitutional right in the states is based on the fact that if a government becomes tyrannical then the population (or at least the resisting part of the population) have a means of defending themselves.

This is merely the reaction that is expected from the incidences. Are you seriously not expecting them to start trying to disarm the US population after these continued incidences. Its naturally a result, they just need people to react in such a way that will allow them.

Personally at this time I think disarming the US population would be dangerous in the long term.

#20 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 18 April 2007 - 10:06 PM

just making guns illegal won't work, because, as you say, guns will always be available to those who want them. THAT is what should be dealt with
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users