In 1941, the US Army requested a new design for a wheeled Gun Motor Carriage as part of its new Tank Destroyer Force, and the requirements that were established included a rotating turret with a 37mm gun. By June of 1942, various prototype designs had been eliminated from the design competition, and a 6x6 configuration was selected. Designated at that time as the T22E2, this design was destined to became the US Army's most often seen armored car in WW II, the M8 Light Armored Car.
In its original configuration the new M8 was extensively used by Mechanized Cavalry units, replacing the aging M3A1 Scout Cars that had been in service for almost a decade. When the British were provided with their first M8s through Lend-Lease, they named it "Greyhound" due to its speed. The M8 was produced in great numbers, entering into the US Army inventory in early 1943.
Dimensions: 5.08 x 2.56 x 2.26 (h) mt
Weight: 7.73 tons
Armament: 1x 37mm M6 cannon, 2x 7.62mm MG
Propulsion: Gasoline Ercules JXd, 110 hp
Speed (Max): 100 km/hr
Armor (Max): 20mm
British Humber armored Car Mk.IV
Built by the Rootes Group. The vehicle used a Guy armored car mated with a Karrier KT4 chassis. Karrier began production in 1941. The vehicle was designated a Humber to avoid confusion with Karrier trucks. Gradually improved in detail through Marks I - III. Mk IV (from 1942) had US 37 mm gun instead of 15 mm Besa. The armored Car remained in service into the 1960's.
Dimensions: 4.50m x 2.20m x 2.39m (h)
Weight: 7.1 tons
Armament: 1x 37mm M6 cannon, 1x Besa 7,92 mm MG
Propulsion: Gasoline engine, 90 hp
Speed (Max): 72 km/hr
Armor (Max): 15mm
French Automitrailleuse Panhard et Levassor Type 178
The Panhard 178 is a 4x4 armored car which entered service with the French army shortly before World war 2. Many of these vehicles were captured by the Germans after the invasion of France. The 178 was found to be a sound and reliable design and was pressed into German service designated Panzerspahwagen P204(f). These armored cars were used throughout Europe and in the Soviet Union by German forces for anti-partisan and security duties. Many were converted for use with armored trains their tires replaced with flanged steel wheels and were used to scout the tracks ahead of trains. After the Liberation of France in 1944 production was resumed for use by the Free French.
Dimensions: 4,79 x 2,01x 2.31 (h) mt
Weight: 8.5 tons
Armament: 1x 25mm SA-25 cannon, 1x 7.5mm MG
Propulsion: Gasoline Panhard, 105 hp
Speed (Max): 72 km/h
Armour (Max): 13mm
The BA-64 "Bobik" was designed to improve on the earlier Soviet's armored cars poor flotation and weak armour. It was the first one with four-wheel drive, and could climb 30° slopes. Its small size made it faster than previous armored cars, but could only fit a small-caliber machine gun. The gun's ability to fire on upper floors made it very effective in urban combats. From the spring of 1943 up to 1946 mass production of the modernised BA-64B continued. In 1944, by a report of NKO, the monthly output of the BA-64B was 250 cars, yearly output of the radio-equipped BA-64Bs was 1404. Notwithstanding their weak armament, BA-64 armored cars were used successfully in most reconnaissance operations as well as for infantry support.
Dimensions: 3.66 x 1.69 x 1.9 (h) mt
Weight: 2.425 tons
Armament: 1 x 7,62 mm DT MG
Propulsion: Gasoline carburettor GAZ-MM, 50 hp
Speed (Max): 80 km/hr
Armor (Max): 15
German Leichter Panzerspähwagen SdKfz 222
The SdKfz 222 that served with the Afrika Korps reconnaissance units and was armed with a 2cm cannon and a coaxial machine-gun. Carrying a 3 man crew, it had performed well enough, but was handicapped in the desert by its relatively short cross-country range of 160 km
Dimensions: 4.80 x 1.95 x 2 (h) mt
Weight: 4.8 tons
Armament: 1x 20mm KwK 38 cannon, 1x 7,92mm MG 34
Propulsion: Gasoline Horch Auto/Union V8-108, 81 hp
Speed (Max): 80 km/hr
Armor (Max): 30mm
Italian Camionetta SPA AS 43 Sahariana
An unusual but highly successful vehicle derived from the AB 41 with some improved features as found in the AB43. Primarily a reconnaissance vehicle designed for operations in North Africa, this car would see service in a variety of other roles including persuit of raiding parties and behind the line operations. The vehicle was commonly known as La Sahariana and was equipped with a variety of armament ranging from 20mm AA guns, 13.2 heavy machine guns, 20mm Solothurn anti-tank guns, to finally a 37mm anti-tank gun. Local improvisions occurred as well. This vehicle was used by RSI paratrooper elements after the Italian surrender
Dimensions: 5.75 x 2.15 x 2.27 (h) mt
Weight: 4 tons
Armament: 1x Breda da 20mm or Cannone Breda da 47/32mm or Breda 37 da 8mm or Soloturn da 20mm (AT guns)
Propulsion: Gasoline Fiat SPA, 100 hp
Speed (max.): 100 km/hr
Armor (max.): N/A
Japanese Aikoku Armored Car
The IJA armored car. Aikoku is the Chinese letters painted on the car. The proper name of this car is unknown. It is based on the Chiyoda 6-wheeled Type Q truck and it was called as Chiyoda QSW by the manufacturer. It was used by the Hyakutake unit in the Operation Nekka.
Dimensions: 5 x 1.9 x 2.6 (h) mt
Weight: 5.6 tons
Armament: 3x Type 11 6.5mm MG
Propulsion: Gasoline Engine, 75hp
Speed (Max): 60 km/hr
Armor (Max): N/A
Edited by Rygar, 08 April 2005 - 11:51 AM.