#1 robnkarla

robnkarla

title available

• Hosted
  • 1,849 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK
  •  crazy coder

Posted 02 May 2007 - 06:30 AM

Well, here are some screenshots to show some of the items I've been working on.

Dúramlug, the new dragon hero for the Wild:
Duramlog.jpg

The Dark Hounds of Dwar - Level 10 power:
DarkHounds.jpg

Two shots of Akhorahil's Level 10 power:
akhorahil_blast1.jpg
akhorahil_blast2.jpg

Witchking's level 10 Power:
Witchking_Hour.jpg

Nazguls:
Nazguls.jpg

Nazgul Selection - Each Nazgul has a letter in their portrait to keep track of each one:
Heroes.jpg

Another shot of the Uvatha's Horse Master:
Nazgulflood.jpg

Indur's Haradrim Guard Summon:
HaradrimGuard.jpg

Gothmog - I thought I'd get some practice with doing animation ini's, so I just enabled what EA already put in like everyone else. I might not keep it, but I wanted the practice.
Gothmog.jpg

Khamul's Easterling Wraiths :
Easterling_Wraiths.jpg

#2 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2007 - 11:03 AM

The fellbeasts are a little too black, the rest is okay.

#3 {IP}LORDOFDARKNESS

{IP}LORDOFDARKNESS

Dark Master and Fx Lord

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  Advanced Fx Coder

Posted 02 May 2007 - 05:15 PM

Wow thats amazing, love Akhorahil's Level 10 power!
Posted Image

#4 robnkarla

robnkarla

title available

• Hosted
  • 1,849 posts
  •  crazy coder

Posted 03 May 2007 - 08:08 AM

Here is a little movie to look at. I did not add a soundtrack or edit it really at all. I'll be providing a full-fledge trailer with v1.05's release.

Anyway - here you will find the new dragon in action amongst other items. I'm getting the hang of the ini animation coding and particle systems, so I was able to give the dragon a leap/wings sort of power as well as some fire-breathing special weapons.

I hope you all enjoy,
Robert J.

I've finished up most of the heroes I will be including in the next release. (9 unique nazguls, 3 troll heroes, 1 dragon hero, & a mounted Gothmog. I still have the Uruks, Orcs, & Evil men to finish though they might not all be in the next release.)

Attached Files

#5 pasiecaaL

pasiecaaL
  • Project Team
  • 51 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 09:33 AM

The movie looks great look forward to see the next realese :cool: :) :p

#6 {IP}LORDOFDARKNESS

{IP}LORDOFDARKNESS

Dark Master and Fx Lord

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  Advanced Fx Coder

Posted 03 May 2007 - 11:21 AM

Cool movie man, keep it up with the FX effects :)
Posted Image

#7 IthronAiwendil

IthronAiwendil

Retired modder

• Hosted
  • 1,452 posts
  • Projects:None
  •  Coder, skinner, modeler, art guy

Posted 03 May 2007 - 03:40 PM

Nice screens, but I would say your Easterling Wraiths look quite similar to my Dark Easterlings :)

#8 robnkarla

robnkarla

title available

• Hosted
  • 1,849 posts
  •  crazy coder

Posted 03 May 2007 - 05:14 PM

Nice screens, but I would say your Easterling Wraiths look quite similar to my Dark Easterlings :p

I'm not sure what you mean? I have not seen your Easterlings, do you have a link so I can see what you mean? Are they an Army of the Dead type? The concept of this unit was to cross the standard Easterlings with the Army of the Dead and throw in a little fire AoE weapon/FX (similar to Karsh and his chill death) instead of the massive weapons the AotD have, so they are summonable with a take on the Oathbreakers summon. I just tinted the skins of the standard easterlings to bring a fire feeling, and the only thing that I want to add is to change the splotchy look to a more transparency look of AotD.

Just send me a link so I can see what you are talking about, if you don't mind.

#9 robnkarla

robnkarla

title available

• Hosted
  • 1,849 posts
  •  crazy coder

Posted 03 May 2007 - 08:07 PM

Here are a couple of small items - portraits for the trolls and dragon. All of the new good heroes are up on the site so I thought I'd add these here until I get them up.

Enjoy!

burzologportrait.jpg

duramlugportrait.jpg

ghudorportrait.jpg

lozenarjaportrait.jpg

#10 m@tt

m@tt

#######

• Project Team
  • 4,056 posts
  • Projects:The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 03 May 2007 - 08:57 PM

Very nice, although I think they could be faded more around the edges. Here's what Culadan says in his tutorial about it:

Erasing time. I used a really big (fuzzy) brush for this erasing, 60 pixels wide. I started out on "opacity: 100%" but lowered it to 25% as soon as I had got rid of the parts closest to the image edges. A combination of quick clicks and sweeps produced a nice tuning over from the parchment background.

Posted Image

#11 robnkarla

robnkarla

title available

• Hosted
  • 1,849 posts
  •  crazy coder

Posted 03 May 2007 - 09:27 PM

Very nice, although I think they could be faded more around the edges. Here's what Culadan says in his tutorial about it:

Thank you.

As far as Culadan's technique, I use a completely different approach with Photoshop using the alpha channel, layer masks, and a specific template I created for both the button images and the portraits. (the template for the portraits, buttons, etc. is found in the Dwarven sage tutorial.)

I'll double check to see how it looks in the palantir and play with the opacity of the edges. Thank you again.

Edited by robnkarla, 03 May 2007 - 09:37 PM.

#12 fehik

fehik
  • Project Team
  • 207 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 07:37 AM

Really good screens, and now i am looking forward toi the next release as never before, is it far away?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 {IP}Sauron

{IP}Sauron

title available

• Hosted
  • 391 posts
  •  Istari Productions Leader

Posted 05 May 2007 - 09:48 AM

Erasing time. I used a really big (fuzzy) brush for this erasing, 60 pixels wide. I started out on "opacity: 100%" but lowered it to 25% as soon as I had got rid of the parts closest to the image edges. A combination of quick clicks and sweeps produced a nice tuning over from the parchment background.

I use Layer Mask when i fade the edges
"A still more glourious dawn awaits. Not a sunrise, but a galaxy-rise. A morning filled with 400 billion suns." - Carl Sagan
Posted Image

#14 robnkarla

robnkarla

title available

• Hosted
  • 1,849 posts
  •  crazy coder

Posted 07 May 2007 - 06:58 AM

I use Layer Mask when i fade the edges

Yeah, I use Layer Masks to mask the picture, that way I'm not erasing anything and if I ever change my mind about what I remove/keep I can make a quick adjustment instead of starting over. To create it I usually start with the magnetic lasso and then make fine tune adjustments using quickmask, it so easy to paint the alpha channel.

As for the edges, I usally just use the alpha channel used in game to "erase" the edges. Looking through EA's images, it seems that on most they do not do more than this. Dain is a good example. I also found that the best way to achieve the color I want is to use the blank scroll map I created using three layers. The top layer is a copy of the scroll set to color and about 80%, the second layer is the image that I am using with the layer mask to hide the areas that I do not want, and then the bottom layer is the scroll again. That way the top layer is "coloring" the portrait, but a little color still comes through.

I also use the same techique for redoing the textures. I usually split the textures up into logical areas, copy the texture to a new layer and add a layer mask to only affect the area I want. Then I do whatever I wish to that area. When I'm done I usually have about 5-10 layers each isolating different parts of the texture so I can play with the color, contrast, saturation, texture as I see fit while still maintaining the integrity of the original textures so that I can jump back to them whenever I want to grab any piece I might want to change. I've thought of uploading some of these photoshop files, but I'm not sure how many people would find them interesting or use them. Yeah, it allows you to create 10 sets of dwarves slightly different with using randomtexture in just minutes, but oh well.

If anyone is interested in these files - they are photoshop 5.0 (my copy I purchased is just plain old) let me know and I'll at least add the three dwarven textures.

Robert J.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users