#21 Casojin

Casojin

Democracy not Dictatorship

• Project Team
  • 2,121 posts
  •  Thinker

Posted 07 May 2007 - 09:07 AM

CnC3 is getting a bit bored for me too.
Especially, when the CnC3 online is filled with Rusher.
Can't people play tactically without rushing all the time?
It's boring. Everyone keeps using brute force instead of head.
Playing ZH is even much more fun when tactic is involved.
CASOJIN

Posted Image

#22 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 07 May 2007 - 09:55 AM

ROFLMAO Oblivion age-rating issues... :)

Yeah, the alcohol references are in the inns and taverns - given you can walk around with beer, mead, several Cyrodiilic brands of wine and Cyrodiilic Brandy...

That's as far as it goes. All those potions have same effect - restore fatigue, drain personality, drain intelligence.

As for sexual reference? There are perhaps...two subquests that are vanilla that I would include in that. One is a bit where you meet with this small ring of females who try to coax you to meet them later that night in their house in the country (If male) or ask you to join them (if female). Nothing happens - turns out they're a crime ring who just seduce guys and steal their stuff. There's hardly even any flirting in the game...Cyrodiil is actually rather chaste as a nation.

I honestly can't think of the other.

However, there are tons of mods which make the female (and sometimes even the MALE) body model fully naked or otherwise more 'attractive', or add skimpy armour etc. Although, to be fair, the REAL reason for the 18 cert is for what Adummy said. Like HotCoffee, the female upper body was only covered as an afterthought - it was originally to be released topless, and indeed the topless models still exist ingame, however (also like HotCoffee) require modders to tweak to find it.

Seriously. Oblivion kicks ass. 'Not really an RPG'. What?! What rock did YOU crawl out from under? It's more RPG than half the ones you play these days. Spose you're gunna say Morrowind isn't an RPG either? Just because you aren't rigidly on rails through a storyline doesn't make it anything less an RPG, yknow (and before you argue MMOs, they're NOT true RPGs - Oblivion HAS a full story. In fact, it has several dozen, both great and small. You are just not obliged to live them through if you decide not to)

Oblivion plays great, looks fantastic and is absolutely epic. There not enough in the game for ya? Download mods! It's great!

I estimate, to 100% the vanilla, you'll need a good few hundred hours. And that's assuming you don't screw up a couple of the sidequests...which would mean you could never 100% it. :mellow: (Better than Morrowind, where you could actually kill the major NPCs and so interfere with destiny.. :cool2: )

As for V-TM:B? Yes. Get that too! It's great. Haven't played it for awhile...I think I hit a subquest bug and got annoyed. :p

But yeah. I got CNC3 one day. By the end of the day it was uninstalled. SupCom at least lasted three weeks installed.

Edited by Paradox, 07 May 2007 - 10:39 AM.

#23 Athgar

Athgar
  • Project Team
  • 207 posts
  • Projects:Czerion
  •  Crazy Monkey Pirate

Posted 07 May 2007 - 01:19 PM

Oblivion isn't an rpg because you dont have any choices and consequences. You are just guided down a rail, with a crappy story and boring gameplay. Even if you take it as an action adventure, it is only moderately enjoyable. The gameplay might be enjoyable, if it wasn't so dumbed down and the constant hand holding was removed. But they failed at another important point for a sandbox game. It just isn't fun to explore. You can't wander 10 meters of the road without stumbling over a lost ruin or a dungeon.

I must say that they have provided a foundation for a good game, and talented modders may be able to improve the game, but Bethsda spent way too much time on soil erosion simulators and speedtree, compared to the actual game. Oh, and for some reason almost all people in Oblivion are butt ugly.
Posted Image

#24 Athena

Athena

Embody the Truth

• Undead
  • 6,946 posts
  •  Former Community Leader

Posted 07 May 2007 - 05:53 PM

You don't have much choices in Final Fantasy X either, choices are not the only thing that would make an RPG.

But to each their own. Me, I like Oblivion. Name some RPGs you like, then. We're getting somewhat offtopic though :p.

I think that if I were to play a game a lot of hours per day and every day, then yes in the end the majority would make me feel somewhat 'bored' with the game. Which is exactly why I switch between games, just like adummy. My own personal idea about it: Don't play games too long without a break and switch between them.

#25 Mighty BOB!

Mighty BOB!

Deranged Weasel

• Members
  • 419 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 06:52 PM

Yeah I got bored of C&C3 after maybe 3 days (GDI mission 9, Nod mission 10). I'm waiting for patch 1.05 and the mod SDK and then I'm going to revamp everything.
WOL nick: migtybob

We are living in a post-common sense society.

#26 Athena

Athena

Embody the Truth

• Undead
  • 6,946 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 06:59 PM

I wonder why some people play so much in a short amount of days? Even if I had holidays I wouldn't finish the campaign of a newly bought game in a short amount of days.. the experience lasts much longer and is more enjoyable if you spread it out in my opinion.

#27 Hogo

Hogo

Pro Mapper XD

• C&C Guild Staff
  • 1,295 posts
  • Projects:Enemy Enhanced, Mapping
  •  Friendly face
  • Division:C&C Guild
  • Job:Division Staff

Posted 07 May 2007 - 08:20 PM

I still havnt got half way through GDI i like to do it when i feel its fun. I have also stoped playing CNC3 and Supreme commander they got boring a lot faster than YR and RA2

#28 Mighty BOB!

Mighty BOB!

Deranged Weasel

• Members
  • 419 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 01:34 AM

I didn't actually play it that much. It only took 3 or 4 days to get that far because there was ABSOLUTELY NO CHALLANGE up until that point. It was like playing RA2 on the lowest possible difficulty setting. Only less fun..

#29 pipinowns

pipinowns

The Rebellion Has Continued

• Banned
  • -134 posts
  •  One Noob To Rule Them All

Posted 08 May 2007 - 02:40 AM

I think the galaxy at war mod might be better then the original game. I found Nod to have No good units and GDI was boring and too strong. Scrin were pretty cool though.
Posted Image

Many
teens today would be mad if Myspace or Facebook had a system failure
and was completely destroyed. If you are one of the people that would
be nicely helping those teens get happy again, copy and paste this into your signature.

#30 Athena

Athena

Embody the Truth

• Undead
  • 6,946 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 05:00 AM

@ Mighty BOB!
RA2 is much easier than C&C3 :/. The AI of RA2 isn't great at all really..

@ pipinowns
I think I will try Galaxy at War as well when it's out, not because I think it will be better than the original game but because it seems like a great mod to me (so far).

#31 Calamity_Jones

Calamity_Jones

Boomers Disposable Minion

• Project Team
  • 2,399 posts
  • Projects:Only War 2
  •  The Lurker-Turned-Poster-Turned-Lurker

Posted 08 May 2007 - 07:06 AM

Perhaps the sexual thing is referring to when you brutally murder people in their own homes, ransack the house of everything of value, then strip them of their clothing too, leaving them bleeding in their undergarments in a hollow shell of a building... Then proceed to sell everything to the guy who lives next door and happens to run a shop. At least that's what I did in Morrowind, not pillaged mainland Cyrodil yet... My pc sucks :p

"Good Heavens! Is that a thigh I can see?! Avert thine eyes!"

I probably would be playing CNC3 right now if I wasn't so cripplingly addicted to fucking Diablo 2 again. Fucking Blizzard. Their games suck, but are kinda addictive. Diablo 2 is fairly good, but there's other hack 'n' slash games I prefer... Dungeon siege for example... Or Summoner which I particularly enjoyed...

As regards to CNC3... It is just a substitute for SupCom, which, again, my pc cannot handle. I wouldn't have bought CNC3 otherwise :p I played a quick game of SupCom on a friends pc, and once you've had the freedom of that game, everything else is sooooo limited!

Edited by Calamity_Jones, 08 May 2007 - 07:16 AM.

Posted Image

#32 Nertea

Nertea

...lo sa raptor!

• Hosted
  • 3,349 posts
  • Projects:Star Villains and Space heroes, The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:BFME/Unity

Posted 08 May 2007 - 08:36 AM

Actually got around to playing C&C 3 at a friend's house the other day, and I must say that the game lacked anything to draw me into it. Now, I've been playing a lot of SupCom so that might have something to to with it, but the impression I immediately got was "if I wanted to play C&C, I'd go play RA2 or older". Plus the engine sucks so much, I don't care how much they tweak it, it's not like Source where it can actually be reused well.

Though in general most modern games (especially RTS) don't hold my attention anymore. I tend to be a completionist so I'll always beat the campaign, but otherwise they all blend together after a while. The last RTS that actually held my attention was Dawn of War, and that's like 2 years ago now. Of course now there is SupCom so all is well.

Edited by Nertea, 08 May 2007 - 08:37 AM.

sig.png
I really don't do requests and my Arnor Soldier is not fit for BFME. Don't ask me for either.

#33 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 09:12 AM

Oblivion isn't an rpg because you dont have any choices and consequences.

What d'you mean no choices? You have more freedom there than any other RPG ever! Ok, so the consequences may be less great (on Shivering Isles they have a little more punch), but you have a fundamental choice that only TES have ever bothered with: 'You have the choice whether or not to even bother with the main quest'.

You are just guided down a rail, with a crappy story and boring gameplay. Even if you take it as an action adventure, it is only moderately enjoyable.

I swear to God...are we talking about the same goddamn GAME?!

The gameplay might be enjoyable, if it wasn't so dumbed down and the constant hand holding was removed. But they failed at another important point for a sandbox game. It just isn't fun to explore. You can't wander 10 meters of the road without stumbling over a lost ruin or a dungeon.

Well, what would you rather be there? 16+ SqKm of endless rolling hillsides? I will be first to agree there should be more towns and cities, but it defeats the purpose of a fantasy RPG if there are no dungeons or old ruins... :p

I must say that they have provided a foundation for a good game, and talented modders may be able to improve the game, but Bethsda spent way too much time on soil erosion simulators and speedtree, compared to the actual game.

Soil erosion? Speedtree? Wtf?

Oh, and for some reason almost all people in Oblivion are butt ugly.

Now that IS true. Takes hell to make a decent-looking char...

You don't have much choices in Final Fantasy X either, choices are not the only thing that would make an RPG.

Or in any FF game. Or in most other RPG games. Indeed, the only ones that jump out at me that have choices are the Deus Ex series, KoTOR series, Vampire:Bloodlines and Jade Empire. All of which are fantastic (even if the formermost and the lattermost are WAY too short). I draw a blank on other games with similar choice setup.

Perhaps the sexual thing is referring to when you brutally murder people in their own homes, ransack the house of everything of value, then strip them of their clothing too, leaving them bleeding in their undergarments in a hollow shell of a building... Then proceed to sell everything to the guy who lives next door and happens to run a shop. At least that's what I did in Morrowind, not pillaged mainland Cyrodil yet... My pc sucks

LOL. I assume, then Tan Cups and Tan Plates are worth a bit more in Vvardenfell.. :p

I probably would be playing CNC3 right now if I wasn't so cripplingly addicted to fucking Diablo 2 again. Fucking Blizzard. Their games suck, but are kinda addictive. Diablo 2 is fairly good, but there's other hack 'n' slash games I prefer... Dungeon siege for example... Or Summoner which I particularly enjoyed...

I HATE hack n' slash games. Hey, Athgar! Want an on-rails RPG? Play a hack n' slash. Or FF12. Which is basically a hack n' slash.

I started off loving FF12 (I got it the day before release day - thanks Play.com!). Then it quickly bored me. Now I can't even bring myself to play it. Instead I'm playing the much older and yet much superior Shadow Hearts. I even cleared Kingdom Hearts 1 and depending how I find SH will depend whether I play SH2 or KH2 next :mad2:

As regards to CNC3... It is just a substitute for SupCom, which, again, my pc cannot handle. I wouldn't have bought CNC3 otherwise tongue.gif I played a quick game of SupCom on a friends pc, and once you've had the freedom of that game, everything else is sooooo limited!

Supreme Commander is good. Better'n CNC3. But it could be so much more! And that's what pains me the most about it. The fact that it isn't what it could be. For a kickoff, the balancing is totally fucked up. Not between sides, but between units. Ever notice how TIER 1 defences are just as able to one-shot heavy tanks as they are regular tanks? If the enemy has a few T2 defences, their base is completely impenetrable except by missile attacks. Which leads not to 'balanced forces' but to 'missile spam followed by tank spam while the enemy rebuild. If the enemy has a lot of T2 AA and T2 AT defences and some anti-missile defence, their base is watertight. Unit balance restructuring would be required. So would halving build times and doubling the amount of resource you get from everything. Oh, and optimisation...damn thing runs like a train wreck. If it ran smoothly it would be so much better, too :mad2:

Plus the engine sucks so much, I don't care how much they tweak it, it's not like Source where it can actually be reused well.

Read my post in 'My Rant about CNC3. I'm not a complete graphics whore, but if the opportunity is there to make a game look amazing, I believe it should be taken. I play Wild ARMS 2. Graphically apalling. Storywise it's class. Same goes for Shadow Hearts. As Final Fantasy 7. As...as fucking G-POLICE!

Though in general most modern games (especially RTS) don't hold my attention anymore. I tend to be a completionist so I'll always beat the campaign, but otherwise they all blend together after a while. The last RTS that actually held my attention was Dawn of War, and that's like 2 years ago now. Of course now there is SupCom so all is well.

DoW may be old now, but I've yet to see more than, I think, two RTS games that look as good if not better. One of those I've never played. The other is Earth:2160.

Edited by Paradox, 08 May 2007 - 12:44 PM.

#34 Athgar

Athgar
  • Project Team
  • 207 posts
  •  Crazy Monkey Pirate

Posted 08 May 2007 - 11:35 AM

The only choice you mentioned from Oblivion(ignoring the main quest) lacks any consequence. You can ignore the oblivion gates for as long as you want to, and nothing changes. Being able to ignore the main questline isn't freedom. Freedom is if you have several ways to complete quests, and the game.

When i say the game is guiding you down a rail, i mean it. If you look at the game again and the ignore the amazing freedom of being able to screw the main quest, how linear is it? Almost every quest has only one solution, and no real consequences.

Another idiotic thing about Oblivion is that you can beat it as level 1. Actually it is easier as level 1, because of the retarded level scaling. So, unless you get a mod, there's no point in gaining levels.

SpeedTree and Soil Erosion are some of the things Bethsda hyped about their game. That it featured realistic looking trees(Which i admit is the finest looking thing in the game. The forests), and realistic soil erosion. Thats cool and all, but maybe they should've added some content first?
I think Morrowind is better than Oblivion because Morrowind was actually fun to explore. When you stumbled across a ruin or a cave here, it was unique and the loot you gained was unique. The setting was much better, and original. Cyrodil is just generic fantasy, while Vvardenfell had a cool background story, and the island was fun to explore.

If i am to list some RPGs i like, i'd probably say:
Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines because of its cool atmosphere, its countless choices and consequences and the story was cool. Though i must admit it gets really bad in China Town, when the whole game degenerates into mindless hack 'n slash, which is extra bad when the combat system blows.

Fallout 1+2: Because of their really cool setting, and again that there are many ways to solve each quest. Also, they are very nonlinear. In Fallout 1, you can't just stop doing the main quest, but if you run out of time to find the water chip, and your family dies, then you can still play. You dont lose the game. I found that amusing.

I also liked Planescape: Torment for its unique setting, and its cool history. The KotOR games were quite good, but also very easy and railroaded. Gothic 1 + 2 were quite cool, but were alittle lacking in choices and consequences.
Posted Image

#35 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 12:45 PM

Hm I do see a couple of your points there. That's why my Oblivion is extremely mod-heavy. Because I like extra stuff. Especially in dungeons. You try getting hold of the Armour of Heaven's Fury at level 1...jesus christ those werewolves will one-shot you...

#36 Guest_KotCR_*

Guest_KotCR_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2007 - 01:34 PM

As for sexual reference? There are perhaps...two subquests that are vanilla that I would include in that. One is a bit where you meet with this small ring of females who try to coax you to meet them later that night in their house in the country (If male) or ask you to join them (if female). Nothing happens - turns out they're a crime ring who just seduce guys and steal their stuff. There's hardly even any flirting in the game...Cyrodiil is actually rather chaste as a nation.

I honestly can't think of the other.

The other your thinking off is probably the Necrophiliac (spelling?) dark elf woman that resides in one of the towns; She doesn't play an important role in the game AFAIK, rather just asks you about the laws in the game world to do with her disturbing 'hobby'.

Hmm...Final Fantasy X...I quite enjoyed the game but it was so linear it wasn't even funny. The game was literally one long long straight road (you could only ever go back, or forwards), with interspliced cutscenes that told the story; and it made no secret of it either (in the story your told to go down this road; check out this town; go down this road; check out the next town; etc).

Oblivion has infinetly more freedom than Final Fantasy X (or any other 'traditional' Final Fantasy game for that matter) ever did.

I found Nod to have No good units and GDI was boring and too strong. Scrin were pretty cool though.

Hmm? IMO (and I think the general consensus tends to be the same among the better players too), is that GDI is the weakest side in the game. The reason being, is that they might have a strong end game, but the Scrin and Nod both seems to have stronger early games. And a strong end game is completely useless if your never going to get there because of the other sides stronger early game, thus GDI is the weakest side.
Scrin are just imba in general though; New races to RTS' always are at first. Will be changed soon enough.

Anyway, back on the topic of Oblivion...

It's a great game, if you think you will like it by all means get it. TBH I was a bit doubtful of it at first, and so didn't get it when it originally came out (though my brother did, and constantly raved about it - I waited a bit till it was slightly cheaper), even though I already owned Morrowind (which I also liked).

But when I got Oblivion, I was not disappointed, played it and nothing else for a few weeks when I first got it, then slowly starting playing my other games aswell again, though if I'm looking for a great offline gaming experience (because I don't feel like dealing with the masses of 13 year old punks you get on most games), then it's my number one stop, and as such I still play it often.

And yes, then of course as has been said; If you get bored of the original game content, and think it needs something extra or a bit of rebalancing, there's hundreds of great mods that will do that for you (and as most others probably have, I've gradually grown to use many of these mods as standard myself). You really cannot lose with Oblivion if you like RPGs.

#37 Athgar

Athgar
  • Project Team
  • 207 posts
  •  Crazy Monkey Pirate

Posted 08 May 2007 - 01:54 PM

Well, that depends on whether you like action rpgs like Diablo or Dungeon Siege, or like real rpgs.
Posted Image

#38 Nighthawk

Nighthawk

Grumble Grumble.

• Division Leaders
  • 2,946 posts
  • Projects:The Third War, Ares, misc side projects.
  •  Strategist and Modder
  • Division:C&C Guild
  • Job:Division Leader
  • Association

Posted 08 May 2007 - 03:50 PM

I don't play that many RPGs, but my favourite ones (that I've played) are the KotOR series. There are different ways to complete the game, two completely different endings, and you can do each of the planets in whatever order you want.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Job Openings with the Guild: Division Staff, News Posters.
Job Openings with Ares: Documentation Maintainer, Active Testers.

PM if interested.

#39 Nertea

Nertea

...lo sa raptor!

• Hosted
  • 3,349 posts
  • Projects:Star Villains and Space heroes, The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:BFME/Unity

Posted 08 May 2007 - 05:54 PM

Supreme Commander is good. Better'n CNC3. But it could be so much more! And that's what pains me the most about it. The fact that it isn't what it could be. For a kickoff, the balancing is totally fucked up. Not between sides, but between units. Ever notice how TIER 1 defences are just as able to one-shot heavy tanks as they are regular tanks? If the enemy has a few T2 defences, their base is completely impenetrable except by missile attacks. Which leads not to 'balanced forces' but to 'missile spam followed by tank spam while the enemy rebuild. If the enemy has a lot of T2 AA and T2 AT defences and some anti-missile defence, their base is watertight. Unit balance restructuring would be required. So would halving build times and doubling the amount of resource you get from everything. Oh, and optimisation...damn thing runs like a train wreck. If it ran smoothly it would be so much better, too

Hehe, some of those points I couldn't agree more with. Though if you actually play online, this never happens, because it's really quite time consuming to fortify your base like that. I usually play Cybran so turtling sucks (damn direct fire turrets), but they have so many ways of cracking a fortified base wide open that it often doesn't matter.

Read my post in 'My Rant about CNC3. I'm not a complete graphics whore, but if the opportunity is there to make a game look amazing, I believe it should be taken. I play Wild ARMS 2. Graphically apalling. Storywise it's class. Same goes for Shadow Hearts. As Final Fantasy 7. As...as fucking G-POLICE!

I don't really mind that C&C3 is rather ugly, just that the performance you get for the graphics is silly.

DoW may be old now, but I've yet to see more than, I think, two RTS games that look as good if not better. One of those I've never played. The other is Earth:2160.

Would the other be CoH? :blink: Was pretty but I saw it as more of a tech demonstrator. 2160 was also interesting, I never got into it but they had some damn cool concepts, like the whole modular base for one of the factions.

sig.png
I really don't do requests and my Arnor Soldier is not fit for BFME. Don't ask me for either.

#40 Mighty BOB!

Mighty BOB!

Deranged Weasel

• Members
  • 419 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 06:28 PM

@ Mighty BOB!
RA2 is much easier than C&C3 :/. The AI of RA2 isn't great at all really..

There was no challenge in either campaign. (up until where I got bored and quit, maybe it gets harder after that)

C&C3 needs to be fixed badly. Mods will do that. I'm hoping the 1.05 balance patch will help out, but even if it does, the game will be missing a lot of features the community will add.

Edited by Mighty BOB!, 08 May 2007 - 06:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users