Photo

VERY IMPORTANT: Revora will move to a new server!

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 MaryJo

MaryJo

The life, the Universe and Everything

• Hosted
  • 522 posts
  •  why does everyone has more posts than me? spamwhores!

Posted 08 May 2007 - 10:18 PM

Paradox, i like you, i really do, and i think you're a nice guy, but you're being too negative, pretty much about everything.. We could call you a Bad Omen Bird..

Now, the thing about Google Ads, yer, it's kinda difficult the first month IF you own a single site.. now let's look again, we're talking about the Revora network, it's a massive (<= probably) complex of other websites, now, i put google ads on 2 different site, and this is the result:
Posted Image with 267 clicks i generated 62,74 Dollars, and remember, that was with only 2 sites with just a few members, now let's look at Revora's popularity, and Revora's sites, an example would be... Robot Storm... Mental Omega they have fans all around, now if they all agree, which they should, it would be great. Not also with that, there's also the Revora Store, and Donations, come on, Be Possitive Minded for once and for Revora, We would all apreciate it, because, this is one of the best places to have your projects hosted...

and btw, ppl don't get anywhere without money, as sad as it sounds, is the reality

Edited by MaryJo, 08 May 2007 - 10:21 PM.

#22 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 08 May 2007 - 10:22 PM

Call me what you want. I do not deign to continue this discussion further.

You've obviously got it all figured out. I shan't even be so petty as to laugh if/when it goes tits-up.

#23 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  • Projects:Revora, C&C:Online
  •  Thought Police
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 08 May 2007 - 10:28 PM

I actually planned to explain the paid hosting thing again and tell you that we do care about what you post, even though it's very negative. But that seems rather pointless now that you're not going to post anymore...

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

Sieben Elefanten hatte Herr Dschin
Und da war dann noch der achte.
Sieben waren wild und der achte war zahm
Und der achte war's, der sie bewachte.

#24 Detail

Detail

King Detail

• Hosted
  • 7,767 posts
  • Projects:Dayvi.com
  •  Blu Spy

Posted 08 May 2007 - 10:34 PM

I think MaryJo is right.

When i was running Revora's Google ad's they were bringing in a good amount of money. If implemented better (in the right places, with the right colours and of the right size) they could make alot more money.

#25 Destroyer

Destroyer

Byte me

• Members
  • 2,305 posts
  • Projects:Having fun
  •  Just this guy, you know?

Posted 08 May 2007 - 11:20 PM

One idea for a bit more revenue (stolen from x10hosting.com, and countless other sites):

The points system.

Not a post-based system. That would just cause spam.

An incentive-based affiliate program.

They (x10hosting) have an offers section, with links to different affiliate programs, listing what you have to fill out (whether it's name, email, address, phone#, etc), and how much "x10cash" you get for completing it. x10 obviously makes a bit of money from this.

x10hosting offers paypal payouts (that are obviously not as much as x10 has earned), domains, and account unsuspension (they have strict management of accounts) which can be paid for with x10cash.

Here, you (you referring to the collective staff/administration) wouldn't have to offer anything in return (or at least, anything of value), but could easily find some way to make the points worthwhile.

Possibilities:
- Lottery-type contest. Certain number of points per entry. Reward being something a community member is willing to do.
- Large number of points for a special usergroup, thus special TEAMicon, which is apparently the name for the group icon things. This would be a nicer looking replacement to the general "bold username" type rewards
- Allow general donations to each other, opening up minor possibility of people offering/requesting stuff for points. Not as likely, due to you guys not wanting to give away, but still possible.

I have no idea how much this could bring, but at least it would be some more money (money is always good).

I'm sure there's a fairly functional basic points system for IPB at this point.

The challenges:
-Associating referrals to accounts here. Not sure how you track it (it's possible, as x10hosting does it).
-Having someone run it. No idea how much effort it would take.

Just my 3 cents

#26 Banshee

Banshee

One Vision, One Purpose!

• Network Admins
  • 9,045 posts
  • Projects:PPM, PPM: Final Dawn, OS SHP Builder, OS Palette Editor, OS W3D Viewer, VXLSE III, etc...
  •  Retired Network Leader
  • Job:Maintenance Admin

Posted 09 May 2007 - 02:14 AM

MaryJo is right. Last month Google gave us $96 dollars. And we aren't eploring it enough. This month, several Icetex hosted sites, specially the big ones like CNCNZ, will place our ads and we'll bypass 100 dollars. With a proper usage, I believe we can pay a big percentage of these $225 with Google in the next months. In a year, with few other strategies, Revora has great chances to become self-suficient with advertisement, without affecting our free hosting.
Project Perfect Mod

Command & Conquer Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, Tools, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

Posted Image

#27 Solinx

Solinx

• Undead
  • 3,101 posts
  • Projects:Real Life
  • Job:Retired Leader / Manager

Posted 09 May 2007 - 01:57 PM

Thanks for the input Destroyer :dry:

I'm taking a look at x10hosting, because it's not really clear to me what you mean.

Edit: It looks a bit dodgy to me. :)

Solinx
Posted Image

"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

#28 ambershee

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks

• Hosted
  • 3,114 posts
  • Projects:Mutator Week & Unreal 3 Projects
  •  Mad Mod Boffin

Posted 09 May 2007 - 05:59 PM

I really don't like the sound of that x10hosting either, it's really quite a dubious scheme.

MaryJo is right. Last month Google gave us $96 dollars. And we aren't eploring it enough. This month, several Icetex hosted sites, specially the big ones like CNCNZ, will place our ads and we'll bypass 100 dollars. With a proper usage, I believe we can pay a big percentage of these $225 with Google in the next months. In a year, with few other strategies, Revora has great chances to become self-suficient with advertisement, without affecting our free hosting.

I'm quite worried that Revora might find itself in a position where its expansion (or the reverse) may put itself in a position where it's no longer able to finance itself, but at present it does seem to be able to support itself to a reasonable extent.

This is the purpose :dry: Unity is one!

Sure, but if you're actually wanting to even break even with this, it actually makes sense to charge for the service you currently provide (or want to provide), not a service you do not want to provide and abhor.

That'd be like the Coca-Cola company turning round and saying "We want people to drink fresh fruit juice!"

Funny you should say that. Coca-Cola own quite a few fruit juice companies :)

Edited by ambershee, 09 May 2007 - 06:02 PM.

#29 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 07:50 PM

They invariably put sugar in the juice. Or water. Or both.

I refer to juice straight from the fruit or from a carton. Of course not! They'd rather you drink Coke or Sprite or Fanta.

While I deride your taking my words blatantly out of context, I am impressed at you for being one of perhaps two people in this thread who have bothered to address what I said directly, rather than merely repeat that point which I was trying to point out was flawed anyway. Admittedly, it had no constructive benefit in this case, however I do applaud that you bothered to rebut it rather than repeat the same shit like a stuck record.

For the rest, fear ye not. I shan't bother to criticise you any further. Because you're obviously 100% right, and any flaw I point out isn't a flaw at all. It's merely me 'moaning' 'whining' or 'being negative'. As a result, you're free to disregard everything I've said in this thread thus far as, inevitably, you already will or have.

Edited by Paradox, 09 May 2007 - 07:53 PM.

#30 dancam

dancam

Phoenix Rises!

• Undead
  • 2,278 posts
  •  Ex Network Leader

Posted 10 May 2007 - 12:45 PM

^ Heard that before :xcahik_:
Dan

#31 Detail

Detail

King Detail

• Hosted
  • 7,767 posts
  •  Blu Spy

Posted 10 May 2007 - 04:22 PM

The network bar is on every page, so you could have adverts on every page at the flick of a switch.
If i was in charge of that switch ( :xcahik_: ) i'd give it a go for 1 day and see what happens (how many people are pissed, how many impressions the network has, how many ad clicks there are, how much money is made).
It would give a lot of very useful information.

#32 Natus

Natus

i maid a telescope with my smarties toob

• Project Team
  • 2,005 posts
  • Projects:Ex mapper, GCII Fanatic and sound tech.
  •  "Go fudge yourself you smarmy overly-camp handsome barstard" - Neil Faz

Posted 10 May 2007 - 04:48 PM

Meh, CJ, take my stance on this. Does it really effect me or you? Not really, just sit back and watch how things turn out, far easier to play the observer. Were not admin any more. Just bystanders. We both know how this works. Grab a deck of Silk Cut, shot of whiskey and take a breather, and reminisce. How people take comments from you, me, whoever is their success or folly.
Natus 3.4

Corrupt program now requires constant reboots and does not function at all in majority of instances. Designed with a web browser component to replace AOL, it has exceeded our expectations by being more crashy and unreliable and with worse tech support. We didn't think it was physically possible! A general product recall is advised; when it does function it seems to require background processes Girl 0.1Beta to stave off further crashes. Will someone PLEASE remove that code, and insert Backbone 1.9 in its place? That's assuming we even bother to continue this prog.

#33 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 10 May 2007 - 05:31 PM

We're gonna implement this at T3A as a tester and see how it goes. Nothing wrong with hostees having google ads if it's easily implementable.

#34 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 10:15 PM

Meh, CJ, take my stance on this. Does it really effect me or you? Not really, just sit back and watch how things turn out, far easier to play the observer. Were not admin any more. Just bystanders. We both know how this works. Grab a deck of Silk Cut, shot of whiskey and take a breather, and reminisce. How people take comments from you, me, whoever is their success or folly.

Other than the bit about Silk Cut, I think that's probably the sanest thing anyone on this forum has ever posted.

Thanks for bringing me back to my senses.

#35 ambershee

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks

• Hosted
  • 3,114 posts
  •  Mad Mod Boffin

Posted 11 May 2007 - 12:12 AM

The network bar is on every page, so you could have adverts on every page at the flick of a switch.
If i was in charge of that switch ( :xcahik_: ) i'd give it a go for 1 day and see what happens (how many people are pissed, how many impressions the network has, how many ad clicks there are, how much money is made).
It would give a lot of very useful information.

You'd get far more complaints than constructive opinion. People don't like being cut out of the loop as far as their pages are in concern.

#36 Detail

Detail

King Detail

• Hosted
  • 7,767 posts
  •  Blu Spy

Posted 18 May 2007 - 04:22 PM

1 week later.

Anything new with this?

Mastermind has got an intership in the other side of the country, and that he will leave MIT before May the 28th, 2007.

1 week to go.

Someone is going to be very busy next Sunday :)

#37 ambershee

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks

• Hosted
  • 3,114 posts
  •  Mad Mod Boffin

Posted 18 May 2007 - 09:25 PM

I read somewhere (I think it was in one of the private sections for the forum), that we may not notice much downtime at all if all goes well. I'm sure MM will clarify soon enough though. It's supposed to all be happening tommorow (the 19th)

#38 Solinx

Solinx

• Undead
  • 3,101 posts
  • Projects:Real Life
  • Job:Retired Leader / Manager

Posted 18 May 2007 - 10:47 PM

Ambershee is right. MM aims for no downtime. Tho as he said himself, it remains uncertain whether everything goes as planned.

Solinx
Posted Image

"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

#39 Dethro

Dethro

The Shadow In Your Soul.

• Hosted
  • 699 posts
  • Projects:Tiberian Dusk: Evolution, RA2: Retaliation, YR: Shock Treatment

Posted 21 May 2007 - 04:18 AM

I'm of two minds about this.
As the admin of Tiberium Graveyards, it doesn't affect me at all.
However, as the ad-hoc admin of Shirt Ninja Comics, it affects me a great deal, since we have an external site.
I've talked to the owner of the comic, Chris, and he's stated that if it comes down to having to pay, then we'll have to move to a different site. I have to agree with his opinion in this case as he, just like many other people, find having to pay for something like this a big hassle, especially when he has very little to do with the comic currently (personal issues).
From what I can see, if it does become compulsory to pay if you don't have a forum here, then unfortunately we will be disappearing. We're already making the preliminary arrangements with Comic Genesis.
I'm sorry to see this happen, and I can't really blame either side for this, because it's not people's fault.
It just irritates me.
Dethro - Time for the Electric Chair! (And I am as hollow as ever)
Posted Image

#40 Mastermind

Mastermind

Server Technician

• Undead
  • 7,014 posts
  • Projects:MasterNews 3
  •  The Man Behind the Curtain

Posted 21 May 2007 - 04:56 AM

It probably could be arranged if you'd be willing to run Google Ads that you wouldn't actually have to pay. I'm not sure what the final decision on that will be yet though.
Posted Image

Well, when it comes to writing an expository essay about counter-insurgent tactics, I'm of the old school. First you tell them how you're going to kill them. Then you kill them. Then you tell them how you just killed them.

Too cute! | Server Status: If you can read this, it's up |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users