#1 Calamity_Jones

Calamity_Jones

Boomers Disposable Minion

• Project Team
  • 2,399 posts
  • Projects:Only War 2
  •  The Lurker-Turned-Poster-Turned-Lurker

Posted 13 May 2007 - 02:45 PM

I went and bought the book a few days ago after getting sick of trying to get a hold of a library copy... I've started to read it now, and am finding it a very interesting read. Now, from my perspective, being an Atheist already, a "strong Atheist" at that, I already agree with everything Dawkins is saying. It's lovely to see somebody really sticking the knife into religion. I especially love his description of God:

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.

Now, I'm wondering who else has read it, and what would be most interesting would be the opinions of people who are deluded. I wonder if he has indeed managed to switch on some brains. I'm only on chapter 2, but I certainly like what I see. Has anyone read any of his earlier books too? I might see if I can requisition some of them...

Edited by Calamity_Jones, 13 May 2007 - 02:46 PM.

Posted Image

#2 narboza22

narboza22

Q6600 :)

• Hosted
  • 357 posts
  • Projects:Tactical Warfare
  •  US supporter to the end

Posted 13 May 2007 - 04:13 PM

Looks interesting, unfortunately there are 61 holds on it already at my library :dry:

Edited by narboza22, 13 May 2007 - 04:15 PM.

Posted Image

#3 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 13 May 2007 - 05:22 PM

What I love is how you'll get all those people who say they take every word of the bible literally.

So, OK, then. What are we saying about when Jesus comes along and says "ok, guys, the first few hundred pages? They're bollocks. Just...it's just bollocks. Listen to me now. Ignore all that genocide and stoning heretics and sinning and stuff. What's important is what I'M telling you."

There is nowhere in the book that says 'Disregard the first half of this epic saga'.

That'd be like Tolkien getting to Return of the King and saying, "hey, all that Fellowship thing? The whole thing about the Frodo being given the ring? Yeah, ignore that. Doesn't matter."

So, those particular Christians are not only deluded, they're hypocrites. They say they're taking into account the whole thing, yet that would leave them in a contradiction. Do they stone the heathen? Do they preach their shit? Or do they ignore them and attempt to live in peace alongside them?

No matter which they do they're screwed.

Also, I don't give a shit what the whole 'Stone the heathen' thing has going on. Bible also says 'Thou shalt not kill'. Last I heard, stoning someone to death could be synonymous with 'killing' them. Someone really wasn't thinking this through.

#4 CodeCat

CodeCat

Half fox, half cat, and all insanity!

• Members
  • 3,768 posts
  •  Fighting for equality of all species

Posted 13 May 2007 - 07:50 PM

Basically, nobody takes their religion seriously. They all bend it to their own wishes to an extent. 'You shall not kill'? Only applies as long as there's no criminals or infidels to stone, hang or electrocute. 'Love your neighbour'? Only if it's a woman, and if not then only as long as I can exploit him.

At least in some ways it's a good thing that people don't take it literally half the time. But of course, it's good to bring back some of the old stuff when it's convenient. Hate gays? Just throw the bible at them. Don't like unfaithful women? Here's a quran against the head. And if it comes to it, just come up with some other moral justification, and all is well.

Religion is as much a safe haven as it is a way to escape from responsibility. And I don't think it would work one way without the nuts going the other.
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 13 May 2007 - 10:42 PM

I read it, no comment. You all know how I feel about man made religions. They give God a bad name. :dry:

#6 olli

olli

Resident Pilot

• Project Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • Projects:Remix Escalation Top Quality Imaginer and Pro Tester. CnC Guild Gossip Whore
  •  Misanthropic Hulking Adonis

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:20 AM

i agree with what that guy said.
god is pictured as a tyrant smiting people for no apprent reason...and then it says hes all forgiving and all this "we are his flock" bollocks is just a contradiction. to his hobby of smiting people.
so surely if there is heaven and a god,
and i turn up ill say"YEAH IM SORRY I DIDNT BELIEVE IN YOU...but your all forgiving. so let me in please"

well Islam, christainity and Judaism are all Abrahamic religions..meaning that they all dervived frim Abraham.
Islam being the more blood thirtsy religion belives that all land must be fought for and people must die and the world should be ruled by islamic leaders.
Jews believe that Jesus is YEt to come... whihc is bollocks because he doesnt exist...or they just cant see that jesus is david blain.
Christianity is the more placid religion(still theres plenty of killing...like most religions apart from Budhism..which is the most sensible path to follow)...as it doesnt say in the bible (im sure) that people should die for land and stuff and they believe jesus has come.
so why dont they just give up?

Edited by olli, 14 May 2007 - 06:27 PM.

Posted Image
CnC Guild - As ancient as time itself.
Do you like anything CnC releated? Then the CnC guild likes you! Go make friends with it.

Latest Remix Escalation on ModDB
Remix Escalation on Revora - Track the latest news and changes.

#7 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2007 - 12:43 PM

"YEAH IM SORRY I DIDNT BELIEVE IN YOU...but your all forgiving. so let me in please"

:dry: owned.

And actually, read some of the old testament, then tell me that Christianity is the 'more laid-back'.

Believe me when I say it justifies killing your children, your family, even a town you just stumbled across.

I swear, God is an asshat if this stuff is to be believed. Following the Christian God amounts to the same as following Hitler or Stalin. It's pure conformity and obedience on the basis of fear that if you don't fully go along with everything then you will be subject to genocide.

I love just how many topics that seem to wander onto the debasing of organised religion. Perhaps we find it fun. Perhaps it's just that there's some weight to the argument. Perhaps those of organised faith have no adequate rebuttal. In which case...we win and wonder why it is you aren't joining our side of the argument.

#8 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Job:Leader

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:12 PM

I read it, no comment. You all know how I feel about man made religions. They give God a bad name. :p

*resists stronge urge to reply*

Yes, I have read The God Delusion, got it for my birthday right after it came out... awesome book, gives alot of insight and brilliant arguments against the existence of god.

Edited by Matias, 14 May 2007 - 10:13 PM.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#9 Diesystem

Diesystem

title available

• Project Team
  • 259 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm, Cataclsym 2021, Diesystem Strikes, ICFI

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:32 PM

"YEAH IM SORRY I DIDNT BELIEVE IN YOU...but your all forgiving. so let me in please"

:w00t: I have second that,
I mean that would just take away the belief of their being a hell, but then again i wonder sometimes if this is hell lol... :p

As for god, I have no real view,
I find it impossible to think that one man/creature can create the world and heck why would you bother wasting your time making a planet like earth and leaving it two prats named adam and eve to enjoy? Just create yourself a nice small palace a wife and settle down on the planet you want (make sure you create the wife to be ever in love with you and do your bidding forever hehe) and sorted, live for as long as you like and well err then what? Hmmm I'm stuck now...

But this gives me an idea for a topic, I'll post in the spam section, look out for it!

Edited by Diesystem, 14 May 2007 - 10:35 PM.

No words can express my joy.......

IM GONNA BE A FREAKING DJ OK?!

http://forums.cncgui.../index.php?c=60

#10 Calamity_Jones

Calamity_Jones

• Project Team
  • 2,399 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 05:29 AM

I love just how many topics that seem to wander onto the debasing of organised religion. Perhaps we find it fun. Perhaps it's just that there's some weight to the argument. Perhaps those of organised faith have no adequate rebuttal. In which case...we win and wonder why it is you aren't joining our side of the argument.

We do it because we can! In the past, you say a bad word about god, and you'll be burnt at the stake. Now, we can say whatever we want and don't have to fear for our lives. So, we have hundreds of years of subdued criticism to make up for :p Imagine if Dawkins wrote that book 400 years ago or so, he'd be murdered.

Edited by Calamity_Jones, 15 May 2007 - 05:30 AM.

Posted Image

#11 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 09:01 AM

Indeed.

#12 Tom

Tom

title available

• Undead
  • 8,475 posts
  • Projects:Life
  •  Co-Founder of Revora

Posted 16 May 2007 - 02:09 AM

The term "God" is quite ridiculous, whilst i believe there is always a bigger picture, it doesn't mean "God" is a seperate object or existence. If "God" exists, God is us. Everything is god. Consciousness is god. There is no other way about it if it exists.

If hes the be all and end all then hes infinity. Infinity means everything.

#13 CodeCat

CodeCat

Half fox, half cat, and all insanity!

• Members
  • 3,768 posts
  •  Fighting for equality of all species

Posted 17 May 2007 - 10:51 AM

God exists, but only in people's minds. No humans, no god.
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 Calamity_Jones

Calamity_Jones

• Project Team
  • 2,399 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 10:22 AM

Of course, it's all a matter of personal taste, some people do actually believe in some beardy dude sitting on a cloud or a cute looking bundle of spaghetti...
Posted Image

#15 olli

olli

Resident Pilot

• Project Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • Projects:Remix Escalation Top Quality Imaginer and Pro Tester. CnC Guild Gossip Whore
  •  Misanthropic Hulking Adonis

Posted 18 May 2007 - 10:55 AM

lol thats scary.
also, i believe dawkins gives another example... the tea kettle example. (i think)

basically, if you were told a tea kettle was somewhere out in space, in between neptune and Pluto, and it couldnt be seen through a telescope...would you believe in it?
thousands would...just because some one said so.
same can be applied to god. nuff said.
keep asking a relgious person if they have seen god and watch thier facial expression and the painful silence and hear the stupid remark...yes in my prayers or something.

Edited by olli, 18 May 2007 - 10:56 AM.

Posted Image
CnC Guild - As ancient as time itself.
Do you like anything CnC releated? Then the CnC guild likes you! Go make friends with it.

Latest Remix Escalation on ModDB
Remix Escalation on Revora - Track the latest news and changes.

#16 Tom

Tom

title available

• Undead
  • 8,475 posts
  •  Co-Founder of Revora

Posted 18 May 2007 - 11:27 AM

Everything exists in peoples minds. Your mind creates your reality. I see, feel and look at reality a different way from everyone else.

#17 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 01:21 PM

How very Rogerian of you.

#18 Tom

Tom

title available

• Undead
  • 8,475 posts
  •  Co-Founder of Revora

Posted 18 May 2007 - 01:39 PM

Shhh. I didn't ask you to point out how obvious my statement was :) I got an excuse anyway. I had just woken up and thought i was being intelligent! :p

Edited by Hybrid, 18 May 2007 - 01:39 PM.

#19 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 26 May 2007 - 06:55 PM

the most remarkable thing is, the whole story of God and religion is so unrealistic and obviously fake, you can't believe it if you haven't been taught it since the time you were a little child. people who haven't, just can't understand why religious people are that
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#20 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 26 May 2007 - 09:21 PM

Yet oddly, every sentient culture in the world believes in a higher power? I'm not aware of any athiest tribes or civilizations.

Mass hysteria? Evolutionary flaw?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users