Photo

New Ring Heroes? Debate - Movies v/s Books

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
428 replies to this topic

Poll: Should S.E.E. have new Ring Heroes for each faction? (113 member(s) have cast votes)

Good Factions

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Evil Factions

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Selek

Selek
  • New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 05:37 PM

*lending this post to make new thread* /Naz

Hey all :thumbsupsmiley:
I decided to move the interesting debate about the possibility of new Ring Heroes in S.E.E. into a thread of it's own. So here goes, moved from Comments & Suggestions...
:dry:

//Nazgûl

*original post below*

Excellent work with the modification!
I have some suggestions regarding Tom Bombadil:

As you already added Galadriel to the Elves Heroes, couldn't Tom replace the Ring Hero now?
Or as the dwarves still are quite 'Hero-less', Tom could be added to them

And also, Tom has a brown beard not a white :rolleyes:

Edited by Nazgûl, 17 June 2007 - 05:36 PM.

#2 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  • Projects:BFME2 - Nazgûl's Special Extended Edition
  •  Veteran

Posted 13 May 2007 - 06:36 PM

Excellent work with the modification!
I have some suggestions regarding Tom Bombadil:

As you already added Galadriel to the Elves Heroes, couldn't Tom replace the Ring Hero now?
Or as the dwarves still are quite 'Hero-less', Tom could be added to them

And also, Tom has a brown beard not a white :rolleyes:

Thanks and welcome to the forum :thumbsupsmiley:

That Tom stuff is clearly considerable... yes :dry:

Clone: what "what else"?

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
"Do not come between the Nazgûl and his mod!"
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I S.E.E. YOU! <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#3 Sûlherokhh

Sûlherokhh

Sagacious Engineer

• Project Team
  • 3,754 posts
  • Projects:S.E.E., Sage A.I., Code Advisor
  •  'Axe'er of the Gordic Knot

Posted 13 May 2007 - 08:17 PM

Tom Bombadil wasn't even affected by the ring. I find him very unsuitable. That was in the book of course but he didn't show up in the movies, so.... :dry:

bannerreal01mittelit3.jpg
Axed Head and A.I. Coder for S.E.E. and ... stuff

".. coding is basically boring. What's fun is finding out how things work, take them apart and then put them together in ways that were not intended nor even conceived."

#4 CapnAstroSponge

CapnAstroSponge

title available

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • Projects:Trolling the S.E.E Boards

Posted 13 May 2007 - 09:16 PM

Yeah, he saw it and laughed. Not a good idea, him as ring hero.

Edited by CapnAstroSponge, 13 May 2007 - 09:16 PM.

Posted Image

Never come between a Capn and his..uh..AstroSponge? No, no...Never come between a CapnAstro and his Sponge! Uh.....this doesn't work as well as the other guys names..

I am..

Posted Image

#5 D_bershevits

D_bershevits
  • Banned
  • 148 posts
  • Projects:Gondor Power Pack, Last Alliance

Posted 13 May 2007 - 10:04 PM

And some mods already have him as ring hero.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 Onicrom

Onicrom
  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 11:07 PM

He did more than laugh, he took it twirled it around and made it disappear and then re-appear. Then he gave it back to Frodo who put it on and tried to walk away, but Tom still saw him and forced him to come back and take off the ring.

Considering that he is as old as time itself, I dont know if using him is a good idea, he would be a bit overpowered.

Edited by Onicrom, 13 May 2007 - 11:13 PM.

Posted Image

#7 D_bershevits

D_bershevits
  • Banned
  • 148 posts
  • Projects:Gondor Power Pack, Last Alliance

Posted 13 May 2007 - 11:15 PM

This mod is based on the movie the most if anything, So maybe we should try to suggest movie idea's.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 Xingdao Fan

Xingdao Fan

look to the Evening Star!

• Project Team
  • 588 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK (BETA testing)

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:30 AM

Here's my ideas for the Ring Heroes.
  • Men of the West: Isildur (Was dead but still...), Boromir (maybe?)
  • Elves: Galadriel
  • Dwarves: Tom Bombadil (Although the ring did not affect him, and he's already a summon)
  • Isengard: Saruman the Terrible (Just a made-up title xD Saruman sought the ring so there's nothing to argue about here, I guess.)
  • Goblins: Morgoth (If I'm not wrong, there was a betrayal between Sauron and Morgoth. I'm against Smaug/Balrog)
  • Mordor: Sauron
Boromir did not pick up the ring but he was a strong man, so that's another idea.

xingdaofan-1.jpg

#9 zimoo

zimoo

Ecthelion of the Fountain

• Project Team
  • 2,009 posts
  • Projects:Lurking until the off topic begins...
  •  Guardian of the Books

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:16 AM

Why does everyone associate Bombadil with Dwarves?

Betrayal between Sauron and Morgoth? Does not compute.

I say let the good factions get the ring simply to stop the enemy getting it. Or perhaps make it so that once they get the ring, the elven-ring wielders can finally use their own rings, so get buffs? More unique than just "get the ring, build an uber hero, win the match" :dry:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Playing games? Ah, you'll never be a good modder if you get involved in actually playing them!

#10 Xingdao Fan

Xingdao Fan

• Project Team
  • 588 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:32 AM

The betrayal happened in the Silmarillion (spelling) if I'm not wrong.

xingdaofan-1.jpg

#11 zimoo

zimoo

• Project Team
  • 2,009 posts
  •  Guardian of the Books

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:34 AM

I don't remember such a thing. The closest thing I can think of to that is when Sauron fled Tol-in-Gaurhoth and didn't go back to Melkor, but that was for fear of Luthien and her ickle doggy :dry:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Playing games? Ah, you'll never be a good modder if you get involved in actually playing them!

#12 Onicrom

Onicrom
  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:10 PM

The idea of giving boosts to the heroes who use the rings of power for the good factions wont work. This is because the dwarves dont have anyone who has a ring of power anymore because the 7 bearers are either dead or lost their rings or were stolen, and in any case all 7 dwarven rings end up back in the hands of Sauron before the movie even begins, the last one was from Thrain Oakenshield, king of Erebor before Smaug came, and he died in a dungeon in Dol Guldur. The elves have 2 and MOTW have 1, this is because Cilder, elven bearer of the red ring, gave his to Gandalf and the 9 human ringbearers are Nazgul.

Considering the fact that adding new ring heros is not even a seriouse priority and that it originally sprang out of replacing Sauron for a coked up Saruman for Isengard (which does make alot of sense) and the fact that there is no real solution for each faction having their own unique ring hero, and that Nazgul is going to do whatever he wants regardles, my own personal opinion is that we move on and drop the idea and just stick to Galadrial for all good factions, Sauron for Goblins and Mordor, and Saruman for Isengard. As Nazgul has already stated multiple times, he has enough food on his plate as it is and this is something thats pretty expendable and most likely isnt going anywhere anyway. But thats just what I think.

P.S. BFME2 does have a book liscense.
Posted Image

#13 zimoo

zimoo

• Project Team
  • 2,009 posts
  •  Guardian of the Books

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:16 PM

And the idea of Galadriel going into battle for MOTW makes about as much sense as saying the dwarves get some of their rings back, so your logic is flawed.

Don't recite book-knowledge to me, I know all about the rings, and merely suggested this as a unique way of doing things.

Also, it's Cirdan, not Cilder.

BFME2 has a license to LOTR books, nothing else, but I don't see what that has to do with anything? O_o
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 clonecommand

clonecommand

title available

• Members
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:22 PM

I have noticed that everytime some one tries to explain where an idea comes from:
1) Zimoo shows up and questions it
2) Every one argues
3) Nazgul breaks it up.

To keep the movie realism, only use things from the movies, so Master of the Books (aka zimoo) doesn't have to correct. It also keeps requests down to a doable state.

#15 zimoo

zimoo

• Project Team
  • 2,009 posts
  •  Guardian of the Books

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:26 PM

This isn't true to the books though, it's merely an attempt to make the system more unique.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 Onicrom

Onicrom
  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 08:09 PM

Ya know, I'm not specifically talking to you Zimoo, I'm just adressing your suggestiong and not everyone has read the books or remembers them and they might be interested, though I apologize for the mispelling. I'm just saying that the idea is causing more problems than its solving, as you can plainly see and yes the idea EA had doesnt work very well but its not necissary to change and no-one has any viable solution that makes sense because some factions dont have any alternative to the one already in-game, book or otherwise, that was my point.

Furthermore, I wasn't bringing up book knowledge just to impress people. My point there was that there isnt any gameplay balance in your suggestion, the number of heroes empowered by the Elves 2, MoTW 1, Dwarves 0. See thats not balanced and thus unfair.

Even furthermore, I said it was my own personal opinion to move on, you guys are free to continue posting whatever you want regardless of what I think. And yes, its a cool idea but it doesnt work for every faction. The closest thing to "workable" is what Nazgul already came up with in the "Additional To Do List" section (except for using the king of the dead for the dwarves), which is why I was saying that he was going to do whatever he wanted regardless.

Edited by Onicrom, 14 May 2007 - 11:04 PM.

Posted Image

#17 Xingdao Fan

Xingdao Fan

• Project Team
  • 588 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:28 PM

If we stick to the movies, then we'd best leave the ring heroes as they are, because Peter Jackson created a strong friendship between Sauron and Saruman, which would most unlikely happen in the book. Movie-wise, I think Saruman would have picked the ring if he had the chance to, but if he knew the ring was heading to Mordor, I think he would do nothing to stop it. In the movies, Saruman wished to bring a new order to Middle-Earth, or become the new order himself.

Edited by Xingdao Fan, 14 May 2007 - 09:29 PM.

xingdaofan-1.jpg

#18 Lotrfan2

Lotrfan2

title available

• Banned
  • 328 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:10 PM

Please stay on topic.................Topic maybe add some unique heroes that the book only mentions once or twice.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#19 clonecommand

clonecommand

title available

• Members
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 11:28 PM

That would cause more book discussion....

#20 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  • Projects:BFME2 - Nazgûl's Special Extended Edition
  •  Veteran

Posted 15 May 2007 - 03:33 AM

:w00t: U guys are funny, hehe, I've been gone for a day and you're all like an arguing family at the dinner table... :)

Considering the fact that adding new ring heros is not even a seriouse priority and that it originally sprang out of replacing Sauron for a coked up Saruman for Isengard (which does make alot of sense) and the fact that there is no real solution for each faction having their own unique ring hero, and that Nazgul is going to do whatever he wants regardles, my own personal opinion is that we move on and drop the idea and just stick to Galadrial for all good factions, Sauron for Goblins and Mordor, and Saruman for Isengard. As Nazgul has already stated multiple times, he has enough food on his plate as it is and this is something thats pretty expendable and most likely isnt going anywhere anyway. But thats just what I think.

Word! ;)

Allthough, I think this debate is interesting so I made this new thread for it :p

Edited by Nazgûl, 15 May 2007 - 03:34 AM.

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
"Do not come between the Nazgûl and his mod!"
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I S.E.E. YOU! <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users