19 replies to this topic

#1 Carnotaurus

Carnotaurus
  • Project Team
  • 101 posts
  • Projects:.Secret.
  •  Resident (amateur) paleontologist

Posted 07 June 2007 - 10:50 PM

Hey Daz, I love the mod so far, its very good, but im just curious on the size of the infs...Are they from HIRES.MIX or LORES.MIX? They actually seem too BIG imo. Im not going to ask to reconvert them if they're from HIRES.mix(thats just a waste of your time, and a hamper on future releases.) or anything, just wondering. :mellow:

BTW, are the Convoy Truck, Helicarrier, and the Phase Transport going to make appearances in the mod? ;)

#2 Daz

Daz

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,654 posts
  •  Revora Co-Founder

Posted 08 June 2007 - 08:56 AM

To be honest I can't remember.
I think I resized them to 75% from whichever one it was, but I did it so many times I can't remember.

There is/was a Cargo Truck voxel in there somewhere, I did that before doing the Demo Trucks. Phase Transport was only in missions, so unless those particular missions end up being recreated then it won't appear.
Helicarrier wasn't available without modding IIRC so that probably won't appear either.

#3 Jeeves

Jeeves

I write the interwebz

• Members
  • 4,156 posts
  •  Friendly neighborhood standards Nazi

Posted 12 June 2007 - 11:31 AM

Also the helicarriers impossible. Can't have a transport that spawns its cargo, however cool it was in RA

World Domination Status: 2.7%

#4 Daz

Daz

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,654 posts
  •  Revora Co-Founder

Posted 13 June 2007 - 09:44 PM

Could have jacked the price up to include the number of helis it holds and then had it as an aircraft carrier ;)

Although then the respawning of them after they were destroyed would be awkward to work around.

#5 Mammoth Tank Commander

Mammoth Tank Commander
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  •  Scout

Posted 03 July 2007 - 12:50 PM

Can i just add, since the mentioning of some units was mentioned, whats happended to the mobile gap generator? and btw its some impressive work ur creatin! :grin:
N. E. Wilson

#6 Daz

Daz

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,654 posts
  •  Revora Co-Founder

Posted 03 July 2007 - 01:15 PM

Mobile Gap Generator is impossible to recreate well so it's been dropped.
Not bad as it's the only one.

#7 blackheartstar

blackheartstar
  • Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 04:45 PM

Mobile Gap Generator is impossible to recreate well so it's been dropped.
Not bad as it's the only one.

Why not use a deployable/undeploying mobile gap generator? I think it would be worth it to add this unit and it wouldnt be straying from the origenal anymore than say the Mine Layer.

#8 Daz

Daz

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,654 posts
  •  Revora Co-Founder

Posted 04 July 2007 - 04:48 PM

Possibly, but it'd be really hard to use.

You'd have to use two, deploy one and move your force under it. Then move the next one forward and deploy it, move your force under it, undeploy the first one and move that past the deployed one.
And repeat.

Might do it just for the sake of completeness.

#9 Mammoth Tank Commander

Mammoth Tank Commander
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  •  Scout

Posted 05 July 2007 - 04:37 PM

Possibly, but it'd be really hard to use.

You'd have to use two, deploy one and move your force under it. Then move the next one forward and deploy it, move your force under it, undeploy the first one and move that past the deployed one.
And repeat.

Might do it just for the sake of completeness.

Didnt they deploy orignaly?? And could explain the problen with the heli carrier?? Althoug it would be nice if the people behind Rock Patch could make it possible to get the minlayer to reload on a service depo. Seeing as they got Air 2 Air and other kl things too work. Also is it possible to use Weapon x strings to put the second turret on the Cruiser working? Also i thought Tanya was only Allied. Carry on with the great work, cant wait for version 3.

Edited by Mammoth Tank Commander, 05 July 2007 - 04:46 PM.

N. E. Wilson

#10 MCV

MCV

title available

• Hosted
  • 737 posts
  • Projects:Uh... I'm writing a NGE/GitS/Lain/Snow Crash crossover fanfic?
  •  Decipherer of Paradox' legal talk.

Posted 05 July 2007 - 05:13 PM

Also i thought Tanya was only Allied.

Ah, well, no, she isn't. (In multiplayer that is.)

But, Daz, could you add the unplayabe units, like the Phase Tank, a Crate Goodies? It would also be cool if you could make some Crates spawn things like Chono Vorices. (RP Upg. Code makes it suicide after enough units have been consumed.) (Or hostile Volkovs? Maybe not.)
Posted Image

#11 Mammoth Tank Commander

Mammoth Tank Commander
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  •  Scout

Posted 05 July 2007 - 05:25 PM

Yeh, Maybe if there was a way, like in the original RA to create Chrono vortex's when the Chrono shift and tanks have been moved and used alot! Also is there a way to make the Chrono tank move normaly and make it so that u had to click on the tank to put it into chrono mode??
N. E. Wilson

#12 Daz

Daz

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,654 posts
  •  Revora Co-Founder

Posted 05 July 2007 - 05:43 PM

Didnt they deploy orignaly?? And could explain the problen with the heli carrier?? Althoug it would be nice if the people behind Rock Patch could make it possible to get the minlayer to reload on a service depo. Seeing as they got Air 2 Air and other kl things too work. Also is it possible to use Weapon x strings to put the second turret on the Cruiser working? Also i thought Tanya was only Allied. Carry on with the great work, cant wait for version 3.

No they didn't, they always emitted the gap effect. That was the entire point, you could move them along with your attack force and the enemy couldn't see what was coming. I've got the deploy method coded in and a voxel, need to do deployed graphics.
Heli Carrier was a mobile helipad (as in you landed a heli on it, it went and attacked and came back to reload and was a seperate unit), only way to do it in RA2 would be Aircraft Carrier logic. But I've no intention of adding it anyway as it isn't in the original game.
Rock Patch has had a name change, noone knows what the compatibility with old mods is at the moment but you can bet it won't be good.
You can't have two rotating turrets, I could make it look like it fired from that turret but it wouldn't rotate to fire so it would just look worse.
And Tanya was for both sides in multiplayer to balance out the lack of a Soviet equivalent.

Back in Red Alert, Tanya was effectively the soviet commando

Not in the release version she wasn't.

But, Daz, could you add the unplayabe units, like the Phase Tank, a Crate Goodies? It would also be cool if you could make some Crates spawn things like Chono Vorices. (RP Upg. Code makes it suicide after enough units have been consumed.) (Or hostile Volkovs? Maybe not.)

I'm not adding campaign only or hidden units to skirmish, I feel that there's a reason they weren't added in the original game.
I'm not aware of a way to replicate the Chrono Vortex effect, its not used in RA2 so I doubt there's a way to do it unless the new VK patch adds it.

Also is there a way to make the Chrono tank move normaly and make it so that u had to click on the tank to put it into chrono mode??

Yes, but it's messy code involving deploying into a building which has a free unit and immediately destroys itself. You end up with the deployed unit in a cell next to the original unit and it's a bit pointless as I can't add the chrono recharge thing.
I'm sure people would just leave them in chronoshift mode anyway.

Edited by Daz, 05 July 2007 - 05:44 PM.

#13 Mammoth Tank Commander

Mammoth Tank Commander
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  •  Scout

Posted 06 July 2007 - 05:23 PM

Yes, but it's messy code involving deploying into a building which has a free unit and immediately destroys itself. You end up with the deployed unit in a cell next to the original unit and it's a bit pointless as I can't add the chrono recharge thing.
I'm sure people would just leave them in chronoshift mode anyway.

Ar well you see there is another aproach to this, I learnt this when playing Tiberian Sun. If you make the tank deploy into a bulding, then make that building undeploy into the chrono mode (without weapons) you wont have to make the building explode and the tank shld be in the same cell, Then to get it bac to the normal attack mode then you the same as above but reversed. Although you do have to make two buildings! But making the graphic should be a quick screenshot into SHP job.

Also a possible for the chinook is to have i so that it doesn't have the airport bound string in it!

Just wondering, What software do you use to make your buildings and Voxels, If its 3dS do u know where i can get it cheap??

Edited by Mammoth Tank Commander, 06 July 2007 - 06:18 PM.

N. E. Wilson

#14 Daz

Daz

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,654 posts
  •  Revora Co-Founder

Posted 07 July 2007 - 11:58 AM

Then the end result would be complex as you'd have to deploy to building then undeploy to the unit again.

The Chinook is a jumpjet that comes from the War Factory at the moment so it is in no way airport bound. I need to switch it to the helipad which I'm hoping is a case of putting it in the aircraft list instead of vehicle.

I do use 3dsmax, but it's part of my university course so I don't have to pay to use it. I've read that older versions occasionally appear for cheap at computer fairs, but you're not going to get a legal copy of the newer versions cheap anywhere.

Edit:
Or making the Chinook an aircraft could break various things...
Sodding Westwood.

Edited by Daz, 07 July 2007 - 12:05 PM.

#15 Mammoth Tank Commander

Mammoth Tank Commander
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  •  Scout

Posted 08 July 2007 - 02:23 PM

Also a possible for the chinook is to have i so that it doesn't have the airport bound string in it!

i forgott 2 mention bought it being an aircraft with that string not in it ;)
N. E. Wilson

#16 Daz

Daz

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,654 posts
  •  Revora Co-Founder

Posted 08 July 2007 - 03:47 PM

Edit:
Or making the Chinook an aircraft could break various things...
Sodding Westwood.

Or I could be daft and forget the tags needed to make rotors turn...

Chinook comes from Helipad now.

However:
It won't hover over impassable terrain.
It takes up a space on the Helipad. You can build infinite chinooks from one Helipad but Longbows are greyed out - going to look into this by making the Longbow not airport bound as it should be, not sure if it will redock though.

#17 Mammoth Tank Commander

Mammoth Tank Commander
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  •  Scout

Posted 08 July 2007 - 04:30 PM

surely they would fill up the available spaces? they never hovered over the impassables, or did they?
N. E. Wilson

#18 Daz

Daz

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,654 posts
  •  Revora Co-Founder

Posted 08 July 2007 - 04:48 PM

In RA2 the Nighthawk did, I suppose it not hovering is more RA.
The Chinooks aren't airport bound so they didn't take up a slot and thus you could build them. But for some reason they were blocking production of Longbows.

I'm going to test Longbows not being airport bound, I imagine it's going to cause a tonne of problems.

#19 MCV

MCV

title available

• Hosted
  • 737 posts
  • Projects:Uh... I'm writing a NGE/GitS/Lain/Snow Crash crossover fanfic?
  •  Decipherer of Paradox' legal talk.

Posted 08 July 2007 - 04:50 PM

AirportBound=no aircraft return to the Helipad to reload when they use up all their ammo. Tested this on Saturday.
Posted Image

#20 Daz

Daz

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,654 posts
  •  Revora Co-Founder

Posted 08 July 2007 - 05:01 PM

Yeh I've just rang it with Longbows set up like that and they work almost fine.

Bit of a selection issue when you first build them, and you can't build more without a free helipad space (*) but other than that they're fine.

(* - you can have multiple helicopters to one pad, but you need to move a helicopter off the pad to build a new helicopter)

I'd read that this was all really buggy (hence not trying it in earlier versions) but it seems okay.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users