Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  • Projects:BFME2 - Nazgûl's Special Extended Edition
  •  Veteran

Posted 10 June 2007 - 04:44 PM

*UPDATING IN PROGRESS*
(That's why some duplicates may be there right now... Will clean when update is done!)

:cool2: Right, here it is... All things approved and chosen from the Comments & Suggestions thread. That means that this list is not complied from my ideas only, but also Sûl's and YOUR ideas... IN other words, this list contains loads of things that we came up with together, all of us/you. I simply made sure to choose those I like and ignore those I didn't like... (since it's MY mod after all, lol).

This is also EXCACTLY why I had to say THIS!!! ^_^
You see, if Players/Fans and equals don't post in the correct thread there won't be any chance for me to scan all thread looking for material to approve for this list of things to do... So please always use the right thread when posting! :sleep:

Also, I cant say how much of this will go in what release, but this will be a standing list with items that will tag along to the next ToDO List when left undone :)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you wonder what was done for the release of the current offical version Beta IV - check THIS release thread! ;)

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤
The Battle for Middle Earth II (BFME2)
”Special Extended Edition”
¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤
Updated: 2007-11-02

Next release is: BETA 4.5
Release Date: 2007-11-02

“ToDo List”
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This list will be continusly updated when things are fixed, or new things are added...
Credits are given where other modders than the SEE Team was involved in the solution!
=)

P = HIGH PRIORITY!!!
- = ToDo
i = In progress!
X = Temp fix!
V = FIXED!
? = Unconfirmed!

Major suggestions under consideration:
------------------------------

- Rework CP! I personally think that units occupy too much CP. I think 1 unit (Weak/Normal) should equal 1 CP and for Elite, 2 cp. Meaning that a horde of 15 normal units should equal 15 CP and for a horde of say 10 Elite units: 20 CP, and so on...

- Maybe FORTRESSES should have to be built once the game commences, instead of already being built?This would reduce rush even more... :good:

- Increase difference between Resource giving structures resources when leveling up? (I would like 5 for each lvl = 1:+5, 2:+10, 3:+15)!

- Leadership should maybe only apply to some units (like Elrond to Noldors, Haldir to Lóriens, Shagrat to Black Uruks, Gothmog to Orcs, Ugluk only to Uruk Scouts, Lurtz to all Uruks, Theoden to all Rohan units and Eomer only to Rohirrim, and so on...)

Balance & other needed check ups

i CONSTANTLY IMPROVING BALANCING by playtesting as much as possible ;)

- Check all PRICE levels once more! Maybe some heroes and upgrades are too cheap?

? Maybe make Rohirrim archers stronger against other Cavalry?

? Check Shelob armor!

? Check Earthquake spell vs Isengard Sentry Towers!

? Axethrowers cannot attack air units...they're usually under fear effects. Dale Archers however, can?

V Check Arwen skin/texture. Reports show low res in Ultra High mode?

V Check damage from Arrows to mines!

V Check Hobbits weapon damage!

Minor fixes

P "Blood Thirsty" should work on all allies!

P Mordor needs two more spell points to fully complete their spell book!

- Dale Barracks damage states need a check up. It goes from 1 to 2 back to 1, instead of 1 to 2 to 3...

- Dwarven Battle Wagons can go into Isengard Mines?

- Reduce reload time of "Athelas" healing... (from 30 to 60 secs!)

- Evil Statues should maybe not have Pigeon sound? =p

- Trolls to Stone should be permanent and equal Death!

- Harad Archers should fall MUCH faster from Mumak Houdas! (They "float" now?)

- Dwarven units should fall MUCH faster from the Summoned Citadel when destroyed! (They "float" now?)

? Mumakil have trouble crossing bridges?

- Fire caused by Trebuchets can't be extinguished by Porters?

- All 4 Fortress Towers should be able to fire simultaniously! (Now only 1 do)

- Rename "Black Arrows" for Rohan Archers to "Give them a Volley!" (or something) and replace button with new art!

x Check filter of Wormtounges 10th level "control" ability! Should not be permanent and not affect everything like powerful heroes...

V Giants should have the same dust FX as Ents when falling down dead!

V Dwarven Battle Wagons should NOT be faster then normal cavalry!

V Dwarven Battle Wagons can turn 180 degress on a dime. This means pikes can't really attack them?

V Remove Tree Crush from Dwarven Battle Wagon! (Unrealistic)!

V Dunlednings gain way to much pillage. Pillage should (maybe) be gained when structure is lost not just attacked? At least reduce Pillage from 3 to 1!

V All Rohan structures show lvl 3 building when "ghosted" before built? Change to lvl 1 (like all others)!

V Polish LA skins for Goblins!

V Reskin Lórien Swordsmen and Archers using Downfall's skins!

V Give Uruks a different (less plate armor) skin for LA!

V Move Galadriels "Fury Skin" + anim + sound FX (?) from Lady of Light to her Nenya power!

V Many things like falling creatures, fire, should do damage to allies too for logic!

V Fortress weapons should be able to attack on Water (thus Ships)!

V Dale building has two voices when leveling up?

V Ithilien Rangers can't upgrade to Banner Carriers?

V Move Sam's "Frying Pan" attack to lvl 2!

V The Slayer ability for Gimli isn't greyed out when he's on a level to low to use it?

V The dwarven hall does not mention axethrowers in the description!

V Gothmog doesn't give Leadership to Morgul Orcs?

V Mumakils and Grond needs to be able to pass through Mordor gate!

V Weapons of Mass Destruction should do damage to allies too for logic!

V Treebeard tries to walk away when Hobbits are about to climb up on his shoulders?

V Fortress range power weapons like Spire and such should have shroud vision (for the player)!

V Wall catapults can be targeted by melee units (mostly heros)!

V Walls, wall upgrades and wall Hubs should only be attackable by siege and structural damage dealing units!

V Skulls of Mordor Catapults seem to affect some evil (allied) units?

V Remove the ROCKS under the Trolls pushing the Siege Tower (they look like turds *lol)! (Could be modeling?)

V Magic Spell Points maximum limit needs to be higher so all powers can be bought!

Medium fixes

V Adapt "Scenery Maps" commandsets to the mod (Rivendell, Helm's Deep, Minas Tirith...)

- All SUMMONS should arrive from outside the map in (just like Smaug), and be more in numbers (thus worth the travel to the location)!

P "Guard Unit" for Uruk Elite (on Saruman) doesn't work?

i Damage skins would be good for structures that lack Damage States (Hobbit House, Dwarven Mithril Mine, Dunland Tent...)

i Better speech and new speech for new units, and some existing units!

- Check all dead bodies decay time and such!

- Nenya's healing should also affect on higher ground elevation!

- Mumakil can walk halfway through walls, becoming vulnerable to units on the other side!

- Rohirrim should be able to fire arrows while riding! (See "Anims")

- Treebeard can not Toggle Weapon (Throw Rocks/Hit) while hobbits are mounted?

- Give "Fire Arrows" upgrade to Wall Towers?

- Give "Flaming Shots" upgrade to Wall Catapults?

- More heroes should have Mount Horse ability (Aragorn, Boromir & Legolas)!

- Give "Mount Mounted Hero" to: Hobbit Heroes & Gimli!

? Some attack animations (Men of Dale Swords for one) are messed up, they'll swing, then the sword will jump back to the drawn back position, and they will swing again, and this will repeat a few times?

x Rohan Heroes should be moved to Golden Hall!

V The Goblin Drummer should be able to attack units, just like the Troll Drummer!

V Walls should always leve repairable rubble, incl the upgraded parts! (Maybe for a maximum of 5 mins though?)

V Give "Morgul green glow bonus" thingy, to Mordor Walls?

V Morgul Orcs: When crossing bridges the blue forged blades FX turns red? (Might be modeling problem?)

V When in a Siege Tower, the units act like they are walking and running... Disable if possible!

V Check and adjust all Exit Paths of new buildings so all hordes exit from Door and line up beautifully!

V Ash should have Stomp ability like Giants?

Big fixes

P Decals & Shadows reset bug! Info: HERE!

? "Library System" for all factions! (Might be in BetaV! Might also be cancelled *pending*!)

i Add Strings for all new things... *pheeew*

- Check all (Keyboard) SHORTCUTS in the game... *pheeew*

V Go through all units: SHROUD & VISION ranges (Heroes, Melee, Archers, Siege...)

V Go through all heroes: KNOCKBACK! Heroes should get knockback too (with percentage simulating dodge) from Siege weapons, Ents, Giants, Trolls, Balrog, Mumakil and such!

- Go through all units: FEAR, and their reaction to it/what!

- Remove most duplicate spells in Spell Books to make them unique?

- "English Splash" mod!

- More LOTR music!

i Bring down the SKYLINE (there are tons of unused sky textures!!!)

i Completely new system for The One Ring and it's effects on the game!

x Make SEE 100% Campaign Compatible?

New units

V Dwarves: King Brand for Men of Dale!

V Dwarves: Bilbo as a very skilled thief!

- MotW: Rohan Royal Guard for Rohan Golden Hall! (limited to 2 units) Use Master Windu's model HERE!

- MotW: Gondor Citadel Guards! (Limited to 4 units) (Model needed)
& make Tower Guards into "Fountain Guards (Limited to 2 units)

V MotW: Gondor Spearmen as basic anti cavalry! Model by TDP =)

- MotW: Dol Amroth Knights as summones instead of Rohirrim! Use Nertea's free models HERE!

- MotW: King of the Dead as a "mini hero" of the Summon Army of the Dead spell! Use model donated from Argolis of Wars of Arda HERE!

V Mordor: Captain Jackson - the Corsair Captain as a Tavern Hero!

- Mordor: Mollock - the "Aragorn bane" Troll as a lvl3 Troll Cage equalient to Treebeard! Use CaH!

x Mordor: The Mahud - the Mûmakil riders as Mumak upgrades!

- Mordor: "Royal Mûmak"; use the Black CE skin for a single Mumak Pit lvl3 "hero" Mumak with extra armor and damage!

- Goblins: Troll of Moria! With CaH hammer and chain as weapon! WiP by TDP!

V Goblins: Goblin Pikemen! (And make Half Trolls into Elite unit) Use TDP's free model from the obsolete Deluxe Edition mod HERE!

- Goblins: Goblin Berserker! Use model donated from Argolis of Wars of Arda HERE!

- EvilMen: LOADS of models needed! :blush:

New structures

- "Stoneworker" for Gondor! (Enables Numenor Stonework upgrade!)

? "Library" structures for all 6 factions!

New powers & abilities

- "Mithril Coat" for Frodo!

- "Shelob Bane" for Sam!

x "Disguise" (to Orc) for Frodo! (Move unseen amongst all Evil!)

x "Disguise" (to Orc) for Sam! (Move unseen amongst all Evil!)

- "Witch-king Bane" for Merry!

- "Rohan Armor" for Merry!

- "Gondor Armor" for Pippin!

- "Troll Bane" for Pippin!

- "Power of Elendil" (Sauron Bane) for Aragorn!

- "Move Unseen" for Bilbo!

- "Web Enemy" for Shelob (Wrap enemy unit in web!)

- "Summon Spiderlings" for Shelob!

- "Dominate Spider Lair" for Shelob!

- "Witch-king Bane" for Eowyn!

- "Pillage" for Ugluk, same as Lurtz?

- "Meat's on the Menu" for Ugluk (Healing like "Athelas" for uruk scouts)

- "Let's Move" for Ugluk (Nearby Uruk Scout Raider speed is increased!)

? "Summon Master" for Sauron (Gives Morgoth for 30 seconds!)

- V "Call the Horde" from BFME1 for Orcs (not Moria!)

- Auto special arrows for Rohan Archers and similar...

- "Mount Eagle" for Gandalf?

V New set of powers for Shagrat!

- New set of powers for Celeborn!

i "Mahud Rider" upgrade for Mûmakils!

- Warg Rider protective formation around Sharku? (Like Porcupine).

- Toggle Weapon for Rangers?

- Archer Formations that let them take firing positions and stop moving (with an additional stop command) while giving them some advantage and possibly disadvantage. Something in the line of the Porcupine Formation.

Anims

- Mordor Gate needs new opening animations - BADLY!!!

- New falling forward death anims for Giants (forwards) needs skeleton Decay (use scaled Trolls?)

? Haradrim's arrows leave the bow a little late, compared to the anim?

- Ents should use Tear Down anim against structures if available?

- Rohirrim should be able to fire arrows while riding? (See "Medium fixes")

- Dwarven Berserkes fall over backwards when fighting sometimes...? Remove!

V Remove 'pop-up' Ent summon. They should grow out of the ground like in a real entmoot!

V Ents should run to water (if any) to put it out, like in BFME1!

V Hobbit Heroes needs to be able to SIT (on Treebeard) and throw rocks, not stand!

- Build up anims for Hobbit House!
- Build up anims for Dwarven Mine!
- Build up anims for Dunland Tent!
- Build up anims for Dale Barracks!

Modeling issues

P When some units are given Leadership, the FX glow is leaving an ugly square under the model? (Easterlings and Haradrims).

V Adjusted Bounding Boxes (?) for easier clicks of new units in game! (Cylinder Geometry in INIs didn't help that much!)

V FORGED BLADES FX needs a good workover: I would like them WHITE and VERY SUBTLE instead of bright blue...

- Some units should have a Banner of their own (like Rohan banner for Rohan archers, instead of Dwarven banner, for ex.) and some might also need a banner Carrier of the same unit type (like Black Uruk for Black Uruks, instead of Orc, for ex.)! Modelers will find info about this in the SEE Staff Forums!

- Saruman's statue need a rock to stand on, instead of "chips", before being inserted into SEE!

? Shorten lenght of some pikes.

V Rohan Stables worker graphics bug!

V Rohan Battle Tower arrow exit points needs to be raised higher!

- Rohan Golden Hall arrow exit points needs to be raised higher!

- When you build walls on bridges, the supporting pillars disappear?

- Rohan Golden Hall has no model/animation for Collapsing? It just sinks into the ground.
- Rohan Stables has no model/animation for Collapsing? It just sinks into the ground.
- Rohan Archery Range has no model/animation for Collapsing? It just sinks into the ground.
- Rohan Armory has no model/animation for Collapsing? It just sinks into the ground.
- Hobbit House has no model/animation for Collapsing? It just sinks into the ground.
- Dunland Tent has no model/animation for Collapsing? It just sinks into the ground.
- Dwarven Mine has no model/animation for Collapsing? It just disapears.

FX

- Fire Drake's Inferno needs polishing (too big and very ugly burn marks that should be less square in shape)!

- Leadership FX given to Haradrims on Mumaks are wrongly placed HIGH above the Haradrim models?

AI

P AI build the Grond, but it does not attack structures but rather units???

V On some maps... AI seem to upgrade the structures MUCH later than coded???

P Dwarven Axethrowers AI can not attack Eagles? (Good vs Good problem?)

- The AI can recruit Rohan Heroes before the Golden Hall is built?

- The AI can simply walk by Outposts and similar to capture them? Fix needed to make them stop!

- When capturing a ship yard, current production should be stopped!

V Gollum's AI needs checking. Must flee much better!!!

i AI don't use Isengard Mines, they only build them?

- AI don't use Siege Towers, they only build them?

V All new Inn units must be given SkirmishAI!

V Make sure the AI knows how to use their fortress super power!

Final fixes

- Make a 7th faction: "EvilMen"! (All things Rhûn & Harad) ;)

- Check ALL EMOTION filters in ALL inis!

- FINAL BALANCING after MUCH MUCH MUCH beta testing of final beta... :xd:

Obsolete fixes due to being too hard or even impossible!
----------------------------------------------------------------------

O The Freezing Rain bug! (Impossible) ;)

O Legolas Monster Slayer ability/anim! (Not available... PR trick from EA?) :mad2:

O Scale some Siege units like Trebuchets! (Not "possible" cause of operators being a part of same model). :dry:

O Mumaks should have more Harad Archers in their Houdas! (Too much complicated modeling work involved!) :rolleyes:

Edited by Nazgûl, 02 November 2007 - 08:40 PM.

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
"Do not come between the Nazgûl and his mod!"
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I S.E.E. YOU! <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#2 Joe_C

Joe_C
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 08:07 PM

Im using Beta 4 at the moment, and I must say its brilliant! Well done to Nazgul and all developers!

My favourite ideas for Beta V are the mount eagle for Gandalf, Hobbit/Orc disguise, and Morgoth :O:O for Sauron (thats going to be crazy!!)

I think the Rohan builders should be able to make farms though. (What kind of a builder can't build farms!?)

#3 Sûlherokhh

Sûlherokhh

Sagacious Engineer

• Project Team
  • 3,754 posts
  • Projects:S.E.E., Sage A.I., Code Advisor
  •  'Axe'er of the Gordic Knot

Posted 10 June 2007 - 08:25 PM

Thanks for the praise! :rolleyes: About the porter: Check the Comments & Suggestions thread.

bannerreal01mittelit3.jpg
Axed Head and A.I. Coder for S.E.E. and ... stuff

".. coding is basically boring. What's fun is finding out how things work, take them apart and then put them together in ways that were not intended nor even conceived."

#4 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 11 June 2007 - 12:01 AM

What is this ramblilng about the Rohan porter??? THERE IS NO ROHAN PORTER!!!??? :rolleyes:

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#5 Strider

Strider
  • Members
  • 190 posts
  •  Helpful Wanderer

Posted 11 June 2007 - 12:04 AM

Allied factions should not be able to build farms within your fortress wall building range!

I know I was the one to request this but big mistake! The wall range is so big on some maps you wont be able to build next to your own fortress! Either decrease the wall range or set a different, smaller range for the no ally build range.

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 11 June 2007 - 12:43 AM

Uhm, I dont really follow what you mean now... :S

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#7 Strider

Strider
  • Members
  • 190 posts
  •  Helpful Wanderer

Posted 11 June 2007 - 01:00 AM

On many of the maps your allys fortress is in your fortress wall build range. If I cant build in my allys wall build range, then I wont be able to build next to my own fortress! To fix this the wall range should be decreaced, or preferably, set a seperate, smaller range that your ally cant build farms in.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 11 June 2007 - 04:32 PM

Strider is talking about this part under "Big fixes"... that was added by request from him ^_^

- Allied factions should not be able to build farms within your fortress wall building range!

Allthough I still don't get what he means exactly... ???

"If I cant build in my allys wall build range, then I wont be able to build next to my own fortress!"

Huh?

Edited by Nazgûl, 11 June 2007 - 04:33 PM.

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#9 Strider

Strider
  • Members
  • 190 posts
  •  Helpful Wanderer

Posted 11 June 2007 - 06:27 PM

Im not sure how else I can explain this...let me try again.
-You are changing it so that allys can not build in your own wall range.
-The wall range is very big.
-On some maps, your fortress is in your allys wall range.
-You cant build in your allys wall range.
-This means you cant build next to your own fortress, because it is in your allys wall range.
Now how to fix this?
-Set a seperate smaller range that your ally can not build in. Make sure this range is a good size, but does not overlap your allys not build range.
Savy?

Edited by Strider, 11 June 2007 - 06:28 PM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 Sûlherokhh

Sûlherokhh

Sagacious Engineer

• Project Team
  • 3,754 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 07:34 PM

Now i see! ^_^ First we need to implement the 'forbidden zone'. I still don't have a clue how to do this. I must admit it is pretty far down on my list of things ToDo. It would also be obsolete if we find somebody to edit all the maps, with the new economy radius of 'farms' being considered. There is a lot of stuff i would like to have on maps as well, but that i will write in the suggestions thread. :)

So for the near future (at least), if you don't like what your ally is doing then don't get one, or set him up farther away (both assuming it is AllyAI we are talking about, hehe. :grin: If it's a buddy doing this to you, kick his butt real hard!! :lol: )

".. coding is basically boring. What's fun is finding out how things work, take them apart and then put them together in ways that were not intended nor even conceived."

#11 Strider

Strider
  • Members
  • 190 posts
  •  Helpful Wanderer

Posted 12 June 2007 - 05:08 PM

I have never played this mod with another human beign. i went online but no one had the mod.

Would be kind of funny if no one noticed this and you made the mistake I just warned against.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 16 June 2007 - 08:05 PM

Allright, I think I get it now :lol:
I will put that thing on hold for the time being then... :p

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#13 Blendor

Blendor

The Dwarf

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 06:21 PM

- Shields for Tower Guards?

Not. The Gondorian tower guards not use shield
The Dwarf Blendor

Posted Image

[url=http://profile.xfire.com/blendor]Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

fav. mods:
Special Extended Editiom, Rj-RotWK, Wars of the East, Battles of Gondor. The Elven Alliance

fav. films:
The Lord of the Rings, Star Wars

fav, games:
Battle for middle-earth 2, Pro Evolution Soccer 2009, Rise of the Witch-King

Administrator of the official Hungarian bfme website :)

#14 Garrison Nomad

Garrison Nomad

Bringin' in Da Boyz

• Project Team
  • 608 posts
  • Projects:Beta testing for SEE
  •  I'm in your closet...eating your clothes.

Posted 21 June 2007 - 01:32 PM

EA's tower guard look like they're going to a banquet, not fighting a war. IF they ever wore armor like that, then it was for ceremonial purposes only. The gondor towerguard sounds really cool.

for selection problems and such, it's best not to give the mumakil crew a seperate command set. If you recall from bfme1, when you could put whoever in them, they were not selectable either, to keep from issuing unwanted orders to the riders.

I've seen replica chainmail. it likes to rip hair out. :(
If I were you and you were me I'd have a different face.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
"The only real things are imaginary..."

#15 GorGorgood

GorGorgood
  • Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 07:34 AM

PS: #5 of "The Sky has Fallen", as do trees etc.
Once again, huh? ;)

Yup, once again. Doing that 10X is in the instructions for newbies and I usually follow instructions, not always of course but usually.

Now I am over the 10X limit so I don't have to post that anymore. Hurray!!! Hurrah!!! Hurrah!!! :p

Limits for Trolls, Mumakil, Half-trolls would also be appropriate, and the same for siege engines. Would make the game last longer and be more fun and also realistic in comparison to actual Medieval/Dark Age/Ancient warfare.
It would make the game become rather boring and hard to play, in my opinon.

I limit myself to the number of UU's and Catapults I buy. Makes the game more realistic and interesting IMHO.

The Mumakil Crew problem could behandled simply without making a new model. That is, let the Mumakil come with a crew but don't have them fire, then have an upfrade and button and command set etc. to enale the Crew to shoot projectiles, say at an additional cost of 350 or 400 or whatever. Perhaps this same reasoning can be applied to the Mahud problem too if you all want to consider it.
Making a new model for a mumak would be insanely hard. I think our three modeler/skinners would like to keep the process down to just units.

I know. That's why I suggested what I suggested and that suggestion entails not making any new models.

Chris

Edit: Corrected quoting errors. Sûl.

Edited by Sûlherokhh, 23 June 2007 - 08:29 AM.

#16 GorGorgood

GorGorgood
  • Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 08:04 AM

EA's tower guard look like they're going to a banquet, not fighting a war. IF they ever wore armor like that, then it was for ceremonial purposes only. The gondor towerguard sounds really cool.

for selection problems and such, it's best not to give the mumakil crew a seperate command set. If you recall from bfme1, when you could put whoever in them, they were not selectable either, to keep from issuing unwanted orders to the riders.

I've seen replica chainmail. it likes to rip hair out. :(

In BFME2 the crew is part of the Mumakil when you buy it, so all that has to be done is to disable their firng animations when you first buy them. Then all that has to be done is add an upgrade or buy ocommand and a command that enables firing for the crew/Mumakil as a whole when the Mumakil unit is upgraded or the firing ability is bought. Wouldn't have to make a ne model at all, just some minor/medium coding.

Hee hee hee, chainmail does indeed pull hair, and chainmail was always worn with an undergarment of heavy cloth and/or leather. I still have the old large butted-end link chainmail we made 30 years ago. It blacened naturally, then went through a major house destroying fire, and it is really black and rusted now as I haen't oiled it since 1989 when our home was burnt down.

One original method of cleaning chainmail was to rub it around in sand, then oil it.

Yeah, EA's Tower Guard is actually the Fountain Guard as described by Tolkien. The Tower/Citadel wore simpler uniforms and actually campaigned. The Fountain guards sole function was to guard the Tree and Fountain, and they were probably choosen from the Tower/Citadel guard as theirs was a very elite status.

Polish mounted Winged Hussars had large wings mounted on either their backs or saddles, but the movements with a saber were limited by those wings. Same applies to helmets with large protrusions sticking out of them; they are obstructions to certain weapons movements and are heavier to wear. Most ancient and medieval helms if they had large, obstructing plumes and such on them were meade so those obstructions coul be taken off for cleaning and battle use.

I like your idea of a Goblin Shaman and a lot of fantasy settings implement that idea. Lower level spells would be OK for them to have, along with a small, maybe 20-25%, leadership bonus of sorts. maybe 10% speed, 15% armor, and 25% attack leadership bonuses. With magic and minor Leadership bonuses, the Goblin Shaman would function as both a Shaman and a Captain. One less model to make IOTW. Just my OP.

Chris

#17 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 22 June 2007 - 04:32 PM

So... after reading (most) of those essays :p can we sum that up to:
- EA's models in the game, that we currently call "Tower Guards" is actually "Fountain (Tree?) Guards" of major elite sort, and that we should limit them to maybe 2 units and then "replace" them with "real" Citadel/Tower Guards, let those wear shields and let those be the better Gondorian unit that we use for frontal attacks?

PS: Please only discuss things on the ToDo list in this thread... That's why I won't anwer the other things than this Guard issue ^ :lol:

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#18 GorGorgood

GorGorgood
  • Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 07:19 AM

So... after reading (most) of those essays :p can we sum that up to:
- EA's models in the game, that we currently call "Tower Guards" is actually "Fountain (Tree?) Guards" of major elite sort, and that we should limit them to maybe 2 units and then "replace" them with "real" Citadel/Tower Guards, let those wear shields and let those be the better Gondorian unit that we use for frontal attacks?

PS: Please only discuss things on the ToDo list in this thread... That's why I won't anwer the other things than this Guard issue ^ :p

Hi Nazgul,

Yes, Tolkien describes this in 'The Return of the King' I do believe, and it is well known at Tolkien research and fan sites. Tolkien describes the uniform and helms of the Tower/Citadel Guard and the Fountain guard are also mentioned.

I mentioned it because other people are mentioning many things and i felt that it wa somewhat important concening accuracy. In the movie, those Fountain Guards are not seen fighting, and only seen guarding the
Tree and Fountain on the 7th level of Minas Tirith, per Tolkien to a tee.

Surprisingly, the old ICE MERP RPG book series also has some good chronological and other. info in it that is accurate and nciely organized.

I am not being judgemental or etc., but rather giving helpful info. Every time I read the trilogy and the History of Middle earth series by Chris Tolkien, I find something new and interesting, or just gain a better understanding of soemthing. Also, many good sites on the inet. to peruse.

Those supposedly 2nd Age Numenorian/Gondorian sprites that EA never used for Arnor etc. would make good Tower/Citadel Guards, and many mods have those sprites in them, such as the Mumenor mod and I believe battles for Gondor and I think the old 1st Age BFME1 mod. You may be familiar with these mods and particular sprites. the sprites just need their surcoats/tunics and perhaps shield faces colored black as I think the tree is already on both and it is white/silvery. Very nice sprites.

Anyway, I played your mod a bit last night and today, and enjoy it a lot, especially since I was told by someone here that I can use the Arrow Bombard function to fire over walls. Duh!??! Should have realized that since catapults can do it!!! I lost a lot of walls in the past from not using that Arrow Bombard function. Oh well. An instance of simplistic Dark Age tactics on my part, and to think with all the military historical knowledge I have and RTS games I have played tha I somehow boo-booed in the non-usage of that Arrow Bombard button for the Archers. :p

Would make a decent Jay Lenno/Johnny Carson Tongight Show skit. Maybe not.

Chris

PS: The mods with spearmen in them are great, such as RA and TLA and I think TEA etc. Beats the look of pikes hands down IMHO and many others HO's.

#19 Servant of Sauron

Servant of Sauron

The right hand of Saruman

• Project Team
  • 258 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 07:19 AM

In regards to Rohan please give them the banner from BFME 1 as the one from BFME 2 is the Dwarves if you look closely.

Also, if you're going to make Rohirrim elite hit and run, really fast but not particularly strong you should give them access to fire arrows so that they can play that role more effectively.

Edited by Servant of Sauron, 23 June 2007 - 07:21 AM.

The old world will burn in the fires of industry! The forests will fall! A new order will rise...we will drive the machine of war with the sword and the spear and the iron fist of the Orc! We have only to remove those who oppose us...

Posted Image
Posted Image

#20 Sûlherokhh

Sûlherokhh

Sagacious Engineer

• Project Team
  • 3,754 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 08:22 AM

Anyway, I played your mod a bit last night and today, and enjoy it a lot, especially since I was told by someone here that I can use the Arrow Bombard function to fire over walls. Duh!??! Should have realized that since catapults can do it!!! I lost a lot of walls in the past from not using that Arrow Bombard function. Oh well. An instance of simplistic Dark Age tactics on my part, and to think with all the military historical knowledge I have and RTS games I have played tha I somehow boo-booed in the non-usage of that Arrow Bombard button for the Archers. :p

Finally someone besides me found use of this funcion. ;) Anyway, bombard ranges will soon be pretty high. But you'll need forward observers to see where you are shooting at max range, unless you are an elven archer, hehe. :p

Hate to bring this up again, but Nazgûl made a point here:

So... after reading (most) of those essays ;) can we sum that up to:

PS: Please only discuss things on the ToDo list in this thread... That's why I won't anwer the other things than this Guard issue ^ :p

So, i've moved a lot of your stuff to the tolkien discussion thread, where it may not be exactly in the best of order, since other posts have been written at the same time. Anyway, in future write in the most fitting thread. ToDo-list discusions are about the things on the list of items we want to add. Any suggestions and comments belong in the 'Suggestions and Comments' thread. Discourse of things Tolkien (or medieval for that matter) should be posted in the Tolkien Matters thread. These things 'are' interesting, but they interrupt the somewhat more technical discussions of modding the game. Feel free to post your longish thoughts there. I am rather fond of these indepth discussions and observations myself, like many others. :)

GorGor, be a good lad, hehe. :sad2: Sûl.

Edited by Sûlherokhh, 23 June 2007 - 08:30 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users