Photo

Skirmish AI 2.4 Beta 2 - Post Comments In Thread!

23 replies to this topic

#21 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 04:59 PM

A bit frustrated about the various "no jump problems". Never watched the tau XV15 or whatever is their name jumping at all. Played some big battles. No big problems. Release time from my side.

Btw should the two first returns in function TauInfantryTactic:Update() get a false as parameter, now that you added true at the end ?

I suggest commissar execute even at > 6 squadsize.

Edited by LarkinVB, 18 June 2007 - 05:37 PM.

#22 ArkhanTheBlack

ArkhanTheBlack

title available

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 09:40 PM

Then it might have been caused by hardware issues ? Strange, why would version 2.3 be stable forever then. I don't get it. I will take a look at my hardware stability, first, it's the best course of action to take right now. I'm in for a couple of hours of Orthos/Prime95/3DMark/SuperPi/Memtest86 tests and benches.

Well, the AI might have caused a strange situation which crashed your game, but since I never got a crash and also got no crash report from the DOWXP side or from Thudo or Larkin, I guess it's a problem restricted to your comp.

A bit frustrated about the various "no jump problems". Never watched the tau XV15 or whatever is their name jumping at all.

At least you found the Tau Commander bug. That's a definite success. We'll survive the jumping problems of the other units...

Played some big battles. No big problems. Release time from my side.

Good to hear. I'll finish the package tomorrow. Thanks!

Btw should the two first returns in function TauInfantryTactic:Update() get a false as parameter, now that you added true at the end ?

Return without any parameter means return nil which equals return false in LUA. But yes, it would be 'cleaner' to return false.

I suggest commissar execute even at > 6 squadsize.

Okay, why not...

#23 Zenoth

Zenoth

title available

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 12:44 AM

Ok, regarding that crash I had in 2.4 Beta 1, I came to the following conclusion after hours upon hours of stability testing, benchmarking, hardware cleaning, software patching and OS re-installation (I'm used to that heh) ...

When playing that match I had two programs running in the background, more precisely NOD32 and the newly released Lavasoft's Ad-Aware 2007 (Trial Version) + Ad-Watch (An integrated feature that dynamically scans various OS operations, applications, network activities and processes constantly). Well, after a simple elimination process I could finally reproduce the crash as often as I wanted to, it just didn't crashed regularly, it wasn't predictable (I.E it wasn't crashing each time the Necrons were defeated, that was just a pure coincidence).

The guilty application is Ad-Aware 2007's Ad-Watch.

If I let running the main program (only the manual scanning feature), it never crashed my game. But as soon as I activated Ad-Watch, it caused a few issues during game-play, strange slow downs here and there (only a few, but noticeable when occurring), and then it eventually crashed, often in the same map (Burial Grounds), but it also crashed in various others (including Mountain Trail). My system's hardware was all stable through the whole tests I made.

Oh and it didn't just caused crashing with Dark Crusade, but I noticed it made a few other games I play crash irregularly as well, such as Half-Life: Natural Selection (a modification), Doom 3 and even the Lost Planet Demo (DirectX 9 version). I don't know if the hardware/drivers/software combination of my own system plus Ad-Aware was meant to cause problems, I guess that's possible. It's well within possibilities that no one else but me are experiencing issues with that program, I guess.

I would just recommended you guys avoid that application while playing a game and just use it for what it's really meant to do, which is watching and scanning during normal Desktop activities (text, internet browsing, typing, watching media, etc) and not use it while gaming, I don't think it's stable enough right now, since it's a completely new version (just a guess).

So yeah, I just wanted to clear my mind about that crash and find a cause (there is always one or more for a crash, it just doesn't happen out of the blue like that).

Now on to resume real Beta testing ...

#24 troubadour

troubadour
  • Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 08:18 AM

Not a show stopper but something strange i noticed it 3 times (twice on map Face off and 1 on fallen city), mirror match Tau vs Tau, AI set on HARD, heroes mod deactivated, others settings on their default values.
At the begining when the 2 Tau commanders meet, the AI Tau Commander does not use his "target acquire" ability and gets killed by my commander.
I am quite sure it did not use it before because it happens at the very begining of the game and commanders + stealth units are the only units on the battlefield
Does somebody else witness that too ?

Edited by troubadour, 19 June 2007 - 11:51 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users