Photo

Hero/Unit Parchment Art from Astrinax

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#21 astrinax

astrinax
  • Project Team
  • 135 posts
  • Projects:Projekt Balls Deep + Our Eye's Photography + *DesignArmy + RJ-Rotwk
  •  Ether Surfer

Posted 03 July 2007 - 04:27 PM

Theodred had dark hair in the movie. Yeomen Archers' helmets do not look rohirrim'ish.

Radagast could be more brown:
Posted Image

Grishnákh could also be slightly closer to the original.
Posted Image

Shagrat also looks pretty weird comparing to the original.
Posted Image

Very good job to the rest. The Nazgûl look awesome.

That is acctually a picture of Theodred from the movie, so that indeed was his hair color. you probably recall him in a scene where eomer finds his body almost dead in the water, and everyones hair looks darker wet.

as for the yeoman archer...
Posted Image
Posted Image

as you can see I acctually used that one from the movie. sure his helmet fits a little differently at a different angle, and you probably think of them as being darker because you only see them in the movie at helms deep but he's right there on the right side.

as for the orcs, high quality palantir's are easier to make with lighter leveled pictures (most taken in the day) and those orcs are particularly darker. The images I used of them are from artists (that ar not me) interpretations of those orcs.

If you've ever played The war of the ring and look past its mediocure graphics you'd see a whole different interpretation than jacksons movies where the uruks and orcs don't look the same at all.

at the end the day, jackson really did stray alot from tolken. if you read this...it nitpicks all jacksons mistakes which some are large and some are small. but i like the books enough to find a middle ground
http://jackflannel.org/lotr/

in this picture is an example of what im talking about;
Posted Image

those uruk-hai's don't look anything like jacksons.
that teamed up with the logic of wanting the best most high quality palantirs, you just wont get high end work from using darker pictures, as you can tell from alot of other palantirs using dark pictures like my old yeomen one. :xcahik_:

about the istari, radagast could be brown and the final realese will be a similar picture at a different angle I think and he will definitly be darker and browner. [i](for the record I really don't like that picture from the lotr training card, it makes him seem really harmless...when really in my head he was really angry at the way things were happening in middle earth as far as nature goes with its abuse, therefore I saw it fit to get a picture of him with a less friendly face. He's an istari, not someone who'd hug an orc :xcahik_: ) maybe Im a bit off but thats how i see it. I'd feel more threatened if i clicked a unit that had that palantir than the one where he's smiling at the bird. especially when I know that the picture of him being meaner, would reflect the power's i'd give him.
Leathery caps for wizards?... :grin: if you've read books about them like I have you'd note that the wizards who are more powerful wear s :) uch hats and even then, a small ratio of them acctually do. If you think to yourself what wizards wear those nice awesome hats, you'd only really come up with a few out of the thousands of wizards potrayed over the years going way back to the past. I do appreciate a good hat. But I also think that it would have been good to make at least one of the blue istari without one because we really don't know if they wore one and if so...who did? if figure if i made one with, and one without....i'd be more closer to the truth ;) eh, I donno. Thanks for the advice i'll take it in and consider when I come back to making the palantirs polished for a later version im sure.

Posted Image

#22 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  • Projects:RJ RotWK, Twilight of the Republic, HDLH
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator
  • Donated

Posted 03 July 2007 - 04:30 PM

the yeomens hat doesnt look like a perfect fit over the eyes, but all of them are great! You did a great job making the nazgul and orcs really unique! The banner looks awesome too!

yodasig2.png
My political compass
There's a story that the grass is so green...what did I see? Where have I been?

#23 robnkarla

robnkarla

title available

• Hosted
  • 1,849 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK
  •  crazy coder

Posted 03 July 2007 - 05:45 PM

Great work again!!

I'd have to agree that I do not care for the rendition on decipher's card. For me, dress him in red and he reminds me too much of Santa Claus, not one of the Istari.

As for the orcs, I'm completely open to different interpetations for the portraits. (Not if only I could get the model to match Grishnákh and Shagrat!) If I had my choice, I would prefer the portraits in the interpretation of orcs/uruks for the units. The shots taken from the movies just never seem to look quite right. A close up of Shagrat's face by itself comes across more like a wide-eyed bug than an orc.

The only thing I'd request is to see if I could get a little more definition to some of them. For example, the yeoman archer feels a little faded. I'm not sure if it's possible with the source.
Posted Image

compared to:

Posted Image

Lastly, I love! the nazguls. I thought about try to attempt something myself, but I could never get it right.

I can't wait to see what you come up with for the button images,
Robert J.

#24 Ergopad

Ergopad
  • Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 05:55 PM

About the Istari:

I now see your point about Radagast and I totally agree, that's ok now. :grin: Maybe more like in RJ's avatar? Great idea about putting Radagast look away, making him a kind of more neutral. ;)

The thing that bothers me is that Alatar and Radagast (in your portraits) look a bit too much like Gandalf and Pollando resembles Saruman a lot. I just mentioned as ONE of the ideas about changing their looks, so they would look unique. Just changing hair(and beard) color to black/brown, different hat, hairstyle (plait or ponytail), different style of beard and more intense colors would do the trick...? And hood would fit nicely for evil wizard, don't you think? Otherwise the wizards (and rest of the portraits) look good!

Edited by Ergopad, 04 July 2007 - 02:01 AM.

Posted Image
The Path of The Avatar

Heroes never die
...As long as they are remembered.

#25 astrinax

astrinax
  • Project Team
  • 135 posts
  •  Ether Surfer

Posted 04 July 2007 - 05:12 AM

*update*

Posted Image

#26 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Donated

Posted 05 July 2007 - 02:34 AM

wow-nice stuff

yodasig2.png
My political compass

#27 robnkarla

robnkarla

title available

• Hosted
  • 1,849 posts
  •  crazy coder

Posted 05 July 2007 - 05:32 PM

Amazing work yet again. Now that I've got the major bugs fixed I'll be working on adding these in-game. I'll take some screenshots when they're ready.

#28 Xingdao Fan

Xingdao Fan

look to the Evening Star!

• Project Team
  • 588 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK (BETA testing)

Posted 05 July 2007 - 08:41 PM

I know Jackson did alot of wrong stuff, however, if he made every little bit of the book, you'd have a TV serie and not a movie. Remember that books are adaptations (spelling) from the books, not the books themselves. I like the movie as it is (I do agree it could have been better but oh well).

Edited by Xingdao Fan, 05 July 2007 - 08:43 PM.

xingdaofan-1.jpg

#29 Ergopad

Ergopad
  • Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 10:26 PM

I know Jackson did alot of wrong stuff, however, if he made every little bit of the book, you'd have a TV serie and not a movie. Remember that books are adaptations (spelling) from the books, not the books themselves. I like the movie as it is (I do agree it could have been better but oh well).

I personally think that the BEST PART of PJ's movie trilogy is the visual part (costumes and the art).

The book is of course better, because there is no limitations in your mind for example a troll, what color is it or what does it look alike. The IMAGINATION makes everything look unique (in the book) just for YOU. That's why many people are dissapointed how the movie adaptations look or feel, because it's just one (or few) person's vision of it. I personally think that your own experience color the book, for example "And there was a green meadow with yellow and blue flowers... " -sentence will surely look like the one in your childhood.

PS. I don't know what a heck this has to do with the RJ - RotWK! :rolleyes:
Posted Image
The Path of The Avatar

Heroes never die

#30 astrinax

astrinax
  • Project Team
  • 135 posts
  •  Ether Surfer

Posted 06 July 2007 - 03:53 AM

we could go back and forth all day and night if we really wanted to..there are tolken forums that do that, but I think we should just pick and choose what we think is best for the mod no?

:p

Posted Image

#31 Ergopad

Ergopad
  • Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 12:55 PM

I agree with the concept between "books" and movies. All I wish that, every portrait has unique look and instantly recognize the hero from each other. The nazguls also could have something unique each, like different crown, hood, etc. since they (in your portraits) very much alike.

So, are you going to stick with those, or are you going to make any adjustments?
Posted Image
The Path of The Avatar

Heroes never die

#32 Xingdao Fan

Xingdao Fan

look to the Evening Star!

• Project Team
  • 588 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK (BETA testing)

Posted 06 July 2007 - 02:58 PM

The game was based on the movie, at least the first. In the second, EA tried to get more close to the books, but without much sucess; I think BFME 1 was far more funny.

Additionally, Jackson himself said they'd have to cut half of the good stuff to make a LotR movie.

I like original stuff, though; your art does not disappoint me at all! Keep up the good work.

xingdaofan-1.jpg

#33 Gherrick

Gherrick

Drunken Bastard

• Project Team
  • 374 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 05:11 PM

Fantastic!! Im your greatest fan!! :mad2:

Edited by Gherrick, 06 July 2007 - 07:01 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#34 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Donated

Posted 06 July 2007 - 05:14 PM

lol gerrick, i think you mean that you are his greatest fan

EDIT: Rob, you should pin this :mad2:

Edited by YodaWarrior, 06 July 2007 - 05:16 PM.

yodasig2.png
My political compass

#35 robnkarla

robnkarla

title available

• Hosted
  • 1,849 posts
  •  crazy coder

Posted 06 July 2007 - 05:36 PM

It's pinned. I really am loving everything that has been done so far. For the nazguls, while they are not terribly different, I don't think they should be. (Lol, to start I just used the nazgul portraits and put a letter over it to signify who it is.) They've lost most of their individuality in their service to Sauron, and the one's provided are fit the concept that I had. They are all so very similar, but had small differences.

#36 Gherrick

Gherrick

Drunken Bastard

• Project Team
  • 374 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 07:01 PM

lol gerrick, i think you mean that you are his greatest fan

EDIT: Rob, you should pin this ;)

Oh...true. :mad2:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#37 astrinax

astrinax
  • Project Team
  • 135 posts
  •  Ether Surfer

Posted 07 July 2007 - 04:07 AM

*update*

my biggest Fan? ;)

rock on guys :p

Posted Image

#38 astrinax

astrinax
  • Project Team
  • 135 posts
  •  Ether Surfer

Posted 08 July 2007 - 04:40 AM

*update* (evil men)

Posted Image

#39 Allathar

Allathar

これを翻訳する

• Project Team
  • 2,752 posts
  •  Greedy capitalist and cynical bastard.

Posted 08 July 2007 - 11:07 AM

Nice work, but why are the Easterling archers Haradrim?
It has been reported that some victims of rape, during the act, would retreat into a fantasy world from which they could not WAKE UP. In this catatonic state, the victim lived in a world just like their normal one, except they weren't being raped. The only way that they realized they needed to WAKE UP was a note they found in their fantasy world. It would tell them about their condition, and tell them to WAKE UP. Even then, it would often take months until they were ready to discard their fantasy world and PLEASE WAKE UP

#40 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Donated

Posted 08 July 2007 - 04:43 PM

ye, the head covering was mostly used by harad i think, as they were further south. and whats that wierd lumpy thing on the bottom right of his face?

but the rest are...great! what a surprise lol.

yodasig2.png
My political compass

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users