MB's ideas for WotE

• Please log in to reply
209 replies to this topic

#161 GilGalad

GilGalad

High King of Noldor

• Project Team
  • 171 posts
  • Projects:Beta Tester of- Wars of the East( i was when Ithon still was here)
  •  Follower of Helms Deep Last Hope, WotE, S.E.E and RJ ROTWK.

Posted 06 August 2007 - 01:40 AM

I like it :p
Thank you Ithron for the avatar
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#162 MorrisB

MorrisB

Wanderer of the East

• Project Team
  • 884 posts
  • Projects:Wars of the East mod
  •  Loremaster of WotE

Posted 09 August 2007 - 11:52 AM

Bad news: I've deleted my power ideas. Most likely, I'll update them on my secondary thread later. Furthermore... I won't really have much time in the near future to work on my ideas (work, final exam at the summer language course, holiday, etc., the usual stuff)...

Good news: ...but this of course doesn't mean that I won't make up new things ! No update yet, but I plan something really CRAZY for Mordor's heavy cavalry :xd: ... stay tuned, it will come soon !

Edited by MorrisB, 09 August 2007 - 11:53 AM.

Posted Image
---
"Well, I can't argue with that - modding IS hard. But what would have become of games like Starcraft, Warcraft 3, Dungeon Siege, Half-Life 1-2, Neverwinter Nights and BfME 1-2 if we, modders, weren't there ? They would have long been forgotten. Modding is hard, but it's an honorable thing." - MorrisB

#163 MorrisB

MorrisB

Wanderer of the East

• Project Team
  • 884 posts
  •  Loremaster of WotE

Posted 10 August 2007 - 10:41 AM

Well, here it is ! The CRAZY unit idea for Mordor: the Trolls of Morgul Vale (ideas for better name are welcome :evgr: ) !

--------------------------------------------------------
- Trolls of Morgul Vale (suggies for better name are welcome) -

Side: Mordor

Strengths: strong against swordsmen, archers and siege engines

Weaknesses: weak against pikemen and heroes

Appearence: basically a Cave Troll, but with TWO heads and pale green skin (and YES, you read it well), carrying spiked maces and clubs.

Description: "The city of Minas Morgul is not called the "Tower of Sorcery" for nothing. The presence of the Nine and the foul energies radiating from the centre of the city affect not only the land around Minas Morgul, but also the creatures who dwell in- and outside the city. Orcs and trolls often end up deformed (but also somehow strengthened) by the radiating foul essence. The most suprising aspect of such "deformations" are the so-called Trolls of Morgul Vale. These beings are smaller than Mountain Trolls yet bigger than Cave Trolls, and have longer and stronger legs - making them able to run at a higher speed than most trolls - and two heads. No-one is sure about how or why is that, but it's certainly a frightening sight. The Trolls of Morgul Vale are few in numbers, but are numerous enough to make up some kind of "heavy cavalry" for Mordor. Their thick skin providing a natural protection, while carrying crude weapons and wearing some metal armor and charging at full speed, even the brave men of Gondor can hardly stand against these two-headed monstrosities."

Special abilities:

Trample - this unit can trample down enemies like cavalry.

Frightening Sight (passive) - the Trolls of Morgul Vale receive this ability on level 3; this reduces the damage and movement speed of nearby enemies by -25%.

Upgrades: Banner Carrier, Forged Blades

NOTE: I myself know that Mordor needs a heavy cavalry unit, but I didn't want to copy the "Morgul Vanguard" either from Elendil or from Rhovanion Alliance. My first idea was an elite group led by the Mouth of Sauron, called as the "Fingers of Sauron" - but then I realized that this is a stupid idea. Anyway, the idea of the two-headed trolls came from "The Hobbit", where Tolkien mentions this:

"Yes, unfortunately every troll behaves like this, even those with a single head."

(Or something like this, I can't translate it back correctly... but it IS mentioned in "The Hobbit" !)

Hmm... I wonder how two-headed trolls communicate with each other...

:umad: :D :D
Posted Image
---
"Well, I can't argue with that - modding IS hard. But what would have become of games like Starcraft, Warcraft 3, Dungeon Siege, Half-Life 1-2, Neverwinter Nights and BfME 1-2 if we, modders, weren't there ? They would have long been forgotten. Modding is hard, but it's an honorable thing." - MorrisB

#164 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Magazine Staff/Global Moderator

Posted 10 August 2007 - 01:15 PM

lol you make Minas Morgul seem like some kind of nuclear reactor, is there going to be a "Blinky" unit? ;)
Nice Idea though, it would cause immense fear in all races because 1 cave troll is bad, but 1 with 2 heads has twice the strength.
Doppelganger Troll :blush:

#165 MorrisB

MorrisB

Wanderer of the East

• Project Team
  • 884 posts
  •  Loremaster of WotE

Posted 10 August 2007 - 01:46 PM

"Nuclear Reactor" ??? ...well... Gothmog and Gorbag were also slightly "deformed", or not ?

Anyway, I thought about these like the Snow Trolls - heavy troops who come in small groups and can traple enemies due to their great size and strength.

"Doppelganger Troll" ? Weeell... thanks for the suggie, but I don't think I'll use it...

;) :blush: :blink:

PS: what did you mean by "Blinky" unit ?

Edited by MorrisB, 10 August 2007 - 01:47 PM.

Posted Image
---

#166 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Magazine Staff/Global Moderator

Posted 10 August 2007 - 03:02 PM

lol doppelganger was a joke, and nuclear reactor when the trolls make it seem like to me nuclear radiation has deformed the trolls to have 2 heads.
oh and blinkey is simpsons

#167 Juissi

Juissi

AWESOM-O

• Hosted
  • 1,555 posts
  • Projects:Last Alliance modification, The Hobbit mod
  •  Forger Of (Last) Alliance

Posted 13 August 2007 - 03:31 PM

Actually there are trolls with two heads :) In The Hobbit it says something like "even the trolls who only have one head each" or something. Would be really cool :good:

#168 MorrisB

MorrisB

Wanderer of the East

• Project Team
  • 884 posts
  •  Loremaster of WotE

Posted 26 August 2007 - 08:25 PM

Juissi, I think you haven't noticed the NOTE:

NOTE: I myself know that Mordor needs a heavy cavalry unit, but I didn't want to copy the "Morgul Vanguard" either from Elendil or from Rhovanion Alliance. My first idea was an elite group led by the Mouth of Sauron, called as the "Fingers of Sauron" - but then I realized that this is a stupid idea. Anyway, the idea of the two-headed trolls came from "The Hobbit", where Tolkien mentions this:

"Yes, unfortunately every troll behaves like this, even those with a single head."

(Or something like this, I can't translate it back correctly... but it IS mentioned in "The Hobbit" !)

Sorry for not updating lately guys, I was in Italy and now I will have to focus back to the Campaign Missions and school will start soon, too...

Oh, and Werewolf unit had been deleted.

I'm happy to see that so many of my ideas had been implemented, but now I fear I worn out. There is no great need for new ideas currently, so I'll update this topic ONLY if something REALLY extreme comes to my mind.

I WILL work on new ideas, but they will be mostly balance suggestions and ability/upgrade suggies. I'll try to be creative, like I was so far :p

"There's always place for good ideas..."
- MB, on an another forum (won't tell what, when and why :good: )
Posted Image
---

#169 MorrisB

MorrisB

Wanderer of the East

• Project Team
  • 884 posts
  •  Loremaster of WotE

Posted 01 September 2007 - 08:28 AM

Well, no great update...

Thindelar is now a Structure Hero of Mordor.

...but some good news !

Ithron told me that he plans to use Thindelar as Mordor's structure hero (that's why I made the modifications), and Valranur as a secret hero of Angmar !

Huh, I made a good decision when I came to this forum, that's for sure !
Posted Image
---

#170 Elendil the High

Elendil the High

High King of Dunédain

• Project Team
  • 439 posts
  • Projects:Coding and Idea making for Wars of the East mod
  •  Coder, Skinner and Loremaster

Posted 01 September 2007 - 08:45 AM

MB, haven't you understood the point of secret heroes, that means, it is only the staff, who know of it.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Wars of the East is the Best

#171 IthronAiwendil

IthronAiwendil

Retired modder

• Hosted
  • 1,452 posts
  • Projects:None
  •  Coder, skinner, modeler, art guy

Posted 01 September 2007 - 08:51 AM

Lol, any info about secret heroes can be shown to the public, the only thing that makes them secret is that they have to be unlocked via coding and only at these forums you get the info about how to do that :wacko:

#172 Grizzlez

Grizzlez

title available

• Project Team
  • 667 posts
  •  Coder/ini/FX writer, Skinner

Posted 01 November 2007 - 02:32 PM

can i ask for something, in order to make the woodsmen unit i need proper details on his appearance, a man from rhovanion gives me literally no idea of the model i should make for them... (unless there is one already in which case where is it so i can skin it)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

#173 MorrisB

MorrisB

Wanderer of the East

• Project Team
  • 884 posts
  •  Loremaster of WotE

Posted 01 November 2007 - 03:18 PM

To be honest, I never really thought of the appearence :cool:

Hmm... what about brown-green leather armor, hood, a small battleaxe/sword and a bow* (on the back) ?

*only if Ithron wants them to be able to toggle melee/ranged mode.

EDIT: You could also take a look at the Woodsmen model in Rhovanion Alliance (Link to page: http://www.rhovanion...ges/beorn_u.php ; once there, click on the portrait of the Woodsmen and then the model will be shown :p )

Edited by MorrisB, 01 November 2007 - 03:21 PM.

Posted Image
---

#174 MorrisB

MorrisB

Wanderer of the East

• Project Team
  • 884 posts
  •  Loremaster of WotE

Posted 13 December 2007 - 11:36 AM

"You didn't expect me, did you ?"
(BfME 2 - Wormtongue resurrected)

Well, I'm here. I deleted several older ideas those proved to be rather useless (Arnor Soldiers, Orcs of Dol Guldur, Gondorian Outlaws, Valradir and Jareth). May they rest in peace.

But I also made a lil' update this time: say hello to the Variag Horse Archers !

- Variag Horse Archers -

Side: Evil Men (special Inn unit)

Strenghts: effective against swordsmen and archers

Weaknesses: weak against monsters and pikemen

Appearence: like the Variag Horsemen, but using bow and arrow instead of sword and shield.

Description: "Khand, the land of the Variags of the East is basically a land of horsemen, just like Rohan. But while the Rohirrim were noble people and always ready to help the West against Sauron's armies, the Variags of Khand were rather an army of marauders, forever harassing the borders of the Free Realms of the East (and sometimes even Rhun's borders) in hopes of riches and supplies. Being a horse-riding nation, the army of Khand greatly relies upon the services of its cavalry force, which includes not only the swordsmen and spearmen riding upon fine steeds of war, but a larger group of mounted archers as well. These archers are usually sent out just before the main army to harass the enemy's first line, making the formations and enemy lines break, providing perfect opportunity for their melee-combat brethren to trample the opponents down."

Abilities:

Trample - being cavalry units, the Variag Horse Archers can trample their foes down.

Hit and Run - This ability requires level 2; the Variag Horse Archers gain +30% attack speed and +20% movement speed for a short time.

Upgrades: Banner Carrier, Heavy Armor, Fire Arrows

In-game use: The Variag Horse Archers are best used as mid-late game archers. They aren't so endurant like the Easterling Archers and don't deal so much damage like the Balchoth Archers, but their speed and relative cheapness makes them worth to recruit.

NOTE: I think these guys should replace the Wraiths of Rhun at the Inn. I never liked the idea of recruiting Wraiths from an Inn anyway :sad:

What ya' think ?
Posted Image
---

#175 Elendil the High

Elendil the High

High King of Dunédain

• Project Team
  • 439 posts
  • Projects:Coding and Idea making for Wars of the East mod
  •  Coder, Skinner and Loremaster

Posted 13 December 2007 - 03:45 PM

Now you have copied on of my ideas again, MB, sorry to say it.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Wars of the East is the Best

#176 MorrisB

MorrisB

Wanderer of the East

• Project Team
  • 884 posts
  •  Loremaster of WotE

Posted 13 December 2007 - 06:41 PM

Really ?
<Quickly takes a look at Elendil's idea thread>
...Really.

<Using of such words on this forum is not allowed>.

Oh well... as a wise man said once: "Easly came, easly gone.". But at least I'm even more certain that Evil Men could have horse archers :sad:
But in any case, if it was suggested before, I'll try to come up with something else. Dunno what yet, but we'll see.
Posted Image
---

#177 IthronAiwendil

IthronAiwendil

Retired modder

• Hosted
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 06:54 PM

Good ideas you've got there MB :sad: Though I'm not entirely sure if I will have motivation/time/interest to put those units ingame for the next release, but I'll try my best...

BTW, MB, is it ok if Valranur, the Angmar Dark Ranger hero, is a reskin of Faramir, since I've been trying to make a new model for him, but each one of them has for some reason become corrupted and thus unuseable. I don't really like to try to make the model the 3rd time, so a reskin would be good IMO...

#178 MorrisB

MorrisB

Wanderer of the East

• Project Team
  • 884 posts
  •  Loremaster of WotE

Posted 13 December 2007 - 07:10 PM

..."Good ideaS" ? The latest ones I made were the Trolls of Morgul Vale (renamed into Morgul Trolls), about 1 or 2 months ago, and now, the Variag Horse Archers those were already suggested by Elendil. So what ? :sad:

As for Valranur, it's perfectly okay - just make him look good :thumbsupsmiley:
Posted Image
---

#179 IthronAiwendil

IthronAiwendil

Retired modder

• Hosted
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 07:46 PM

Well lets say that your other ideas in the topic 2 were good :sad:

#180 MorrisB

MorrisB

Wanderer of the East

• Project Team
  • 884 posts
  •  Loremaster of WotE

Posted 13 December 2007 - 09:00 PM

Well... thanks :sad:

Variag Horse Archers removed.

But... let's see how you like THIS !!!

- Harondor Wardens -

Side: Evil Men

Strenghts: strong against pikemen and has great resistance against ranged attacks (arrows, javelins)

Weaknesses: weak against monsters and cavalry

Appearence: Haradrim people wearing plate mail chest armors, wielding scimitars, carrying round shields; on their shields, symbols of black and red scorpions and golden serpents can be seen (only ONE symbol per shield).

Description: "The territory of Harondor always formed a somehow chaotical borderland between Gondor and Near Harad. The Haradrim tribes in the area share different relations with Gondor: some tribes accept the influence of Gondor (perhaps because of the adventages of keeping up good trade connections), while others raise rebellions to drive out the western invaders. During the Third Age, several tribes of Haradrim people from Harondor were accepted by the Gondorians to act as a peace-keeping military force at Gondor's southernmost borders. However, at the late Third Age when Sauron emerged once again, the hearts of the Harondor people were corrupted by the Shadow, turning them against their former Gondorian allies. Thanks to the earlier tradings, these warriors from Harondor are wearing high-quality armor and carry fine shields. This equipment combined with their highly-specialized training - which is unique amongst the Haradrim - makes them able to counter any regular infantry force the West has at its disposal."

Abilities:

Border Patrollers - Requires "Border Patrol Training" upgrade and level 2; the Harondor Wardens gain +20% movement speed, +30% line of sight, +10% HP and can see stealthed units; passive.

Wall of Shields - Reuires "Shield Wall Training" upgrade and level 2; the Harondor Wardens can come together to form a wall of shields, giving them +80% armor at the cost of losing -40% movement speed.

Linebreakers - Requires "Line Break Training" upgrade and level 2; once activated, the Harondor Wardens gain +50% damage and +15% attack speed for a moderate amount of time.

Upgrades: Banner Carrier, Border Patrol Training* / Shield Wall Training* / Line Break Training*

*You can buy only ONE of these.

In-game Use: The Harondor Wardens are basically late-game swordsmen. They are quite costy, both their training and their special upgrades come at relatively high prize - but it's worth of the trouble, since you can specialize them to fit to your tactics, plus their high armor makes them endurant against ranged attacks.

NOTE: I always wanted a late-game swordsman unit for Evil Men (I know there is the Rhun Royal Guard, but a Hero Horde isn't the same category as the normal units IMO :thumbsupsmiley: ), but I didn't want to stick with the "three basic upgrades plus-minus one ability" format. This was the result...

...AND this is certainly NOT a copy from Elendil !

Send comments please :thumbsupsmiley:

Edited by MorrisB, 13 December 2007 - 09:07 PM.

Posted Image
---

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users