robnkarla

title available

• Hosted
  • 1,849 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK
  •  crazy coder

Posted 06 July 2007 - 06:11 PM

All right,

As I'm gearing up for the next release, I thought I could post a seperate topic for anywhere the AI might be "broken" for the BFME1/BFME2 maps.

The base building for the BFME1/BFME2 is quite complex and basicially every faction for every map for every location has it's own AI base. It's really the only way to get the blasted thing to work that I've come up with so far. (I'm always looking for ways to improve it.)

So if you ever play a map and the AI only builds upgrades to the fortrees and/or resources buildings please let me know. (Outside of Mordor and Evil Men. They are still being worked on.)

The information I need:
1) Map name
2) Location of the AI on the map
3) Faction of the AI
4) Release (1.05.00/1.05.01/etc.)

This will help in fixing all of these problems and making sure the AI works correctly everywhere. Starting with 1.05.02 I'll work through all the .bse files that have problems to correct them. 1.05.01 is more about bug fixes and balance changes. 1.05.02 will be AI fixes, bug fixes, and finishing the Evil Men and other factions so they are complete with combo hordes, etc.)

Thank you,
Robert J.

anorien, mordor top left brutal ai doesnt work

Edited by robnkarla, 06 September 2007 - 08:57 PM.

#2 Xingdao Fan

Xingdao Fan

look to the Evening Star!

• Project Team
  • 588 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK (BETA testing)

Posted 15 July 2007 - 01:39 PM

The AIs do not seem to work in one of your maps.

Map Name: RJ Revisited - Anórien
Faction(s): Mordor, Isengard
Version: 1.05.01

The AI actually builds resource production buildings and captures structures (with the starting troops), but it doesn't seem to train units.

Edited by Xingdao Fan, 15 July 2007 - 01:40 PM.

xingdaofan-1.jpg

#3 Hebblewhite

Hebblewhite

Artificially Intelligent

• Project Team
  • 131 posts
  • Projects:WOP-AI (bfme AI plugin), Darkness Rising, Rhovanian Alliance
  •  Mysterious AI Guy...

Posted 15 July 2007 - 02:53 PM

Hey,

You shouldn't have to set up every factions AI in every single map to get the AI system working properly. In BFME1 (particularly the multiplayer functionality), all of the major AI functions are scripted in the "libraries.ini" file.

This includes structure/unit building and general battle tactics including the use of spell powers etc. Adding to existing factions is relatively straight forward, but adding entirely new factions takes a bit of time (as I'm sure you've found out already!).

In fact... you really shouldn't be adding anything to individual game maps except for things like build restrictions such as siege towers (where you set the object flag to false, and disable the appropriate command button), or scripts that relate to major story events and the like for single player missions etc.

Cheers,

Hebblewhite.
Reassuringly Expensive...

Blade with whom I have lived,
Blade with whom I now die,
Serve right and justice one last time,
Seek one last heart of evil,
Still one last life of pain,
Cut well old friend, and then... farewell

Posted Image

#4 Sûlherokhh

Sûlherokhh

Sagacious Engineer

• Project Team
  • 3,754 posts
  • Projects:S.E.E., Sage A.I., Code Advisor
  •  'Axe'er of the Gordic Knot

Posted 15 July 2007 - 04:24 PM

In BfME2 almost ALL of the scripts are deactivated.

bannerreal01mittelit3.jpg
Axed Head and A.I. Coder for S.E.E. and ... stuff

".. coding is basically boring. What's fun is finding out how things work, take them apart and then put them together in ways that were not intended nor even conceived."

#5 robnkarla

robnkarla

title available

• Hosted
  • 1,849 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK
  •  crazy coder

Posted 16 July 2007 - 03:47 AM

Yeah, unfortunately almost everything has changed with the AI in BFME2 and none of the scripts are loaded any longer. If I wanted to I could probably look into and see if I could get the scripting to work again, but then it would be difficult in that it would only be needed in the BFME1 style maps. Also, there were 4 factions in BFME1 and 10 in the mod. That's a whole lot of scripting.

Instead, I just create 1-3 .bse file per faction and then just rotate them to fit the need of the map. While it's a lot to keep track of, it's not nearly as time consuming to try to get the AI to be working correctly through scripts.

Maybe I'll look into it when doing the plotted maps, but we'll see.

#6 el kevo

el kevo

title available

• Members
  • 634 posts
  • Projects:Staff at Flameguard's "Game Sector Network"

Posted 26 July 2007 - 05:55 PM

on the Anorien map, Isengard doesn't build any buildings except for furnaces and the fortress improvments
Posted Image

#7 dojob

dojob

AoW+DoW ftw

• Project Team
  • 1,304 posts
  • Projects:Beta testing for WoA, RJ, and KotW
  •  Cav Rusher + Beta Tester

Posted 26 July 2007 - 06:00 PM

And the Angmar AI keeps most of its units at its base. Please make it so that it sends out its sorcerers and stuff to attack my base :grin:
Some helpful info on RotWK replays
Game Replays Forums; I am Panda Bear™
Awesome sig by TravTech :D PANDA POWER!!!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

And please add Bear-mans

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users