#21 robnkarla

robnkarla

title available

• Hosted
  • 1,849 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK
  •  crazy coder

Posted 16 July 2007 - 04:45 PM

I've updated the main posts with many of the ideas that I'm thinking about using. I really liked a lot of the suggestions. Feel free to give your feedback on the choices and how I'm using them.

As far as mounts, I'm going to try to go through and get as many mounts as feasible to work, and I'll use this thread to show the updates to the powers/mounts/etc. as I finish them.

#22 Allathar

Allathar

これを翻訳する

• Project Team
  • 2,752 posts
  •  Greedy capitalist and cynical bastard.

Posted 16 July 2007 - 06:33 PM

Perhaps Sam could mount Bill, the pony he bought from Bill Ferny (the Isengard spy in Bree)? Although that would require re-modelling or an entire new one..
It has been reported that some victims of rape, during the act, would retreat into a fantasy world from which they could not WAKE UP. In this catatonic state, the victim lived in a world just like their normal one, except they weren't being raped. The only way that they realized they needed to WAKE UP was a note they found in their fantasy world. It would tell them about their condition, and tell them to WAKE UP. Even then, it would often take months until they were ready to discard their fantasy world and PLEASE WAKE UP

#23 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  • Projects:RJ RotWK, Twilight of the Republic, HDLH
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator
  • Donated

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:07 PM

i think celegin did something like this for tea, but instead of armor health boost for mithril coat for frodo, which doesnt make sense when you think about it, givee him a random chance to turn aside all attacks, kind of like gandalfs bubble shield. Iow, frodo takes no damage 1/x attacks.

and you know my thoughts on ring heroes, but here they are anyway. I would let bilbo be recruitable by all good factions, and gollum by evil, and allow them to find the ring, and them only. Then when its brought back to fortress, evil can recruit sauron/sarumon etc, and good can recruit frodo, who has a power to destroy enemy fortresses at a very short range, so he has to be right next to it. once it used, the ring goes back to gollum and is unfound again.

yodasig2.png
My political compass
There's a story that the grass is so green...what did I see? Where have I been?

#24 robnkarla

robnkarla

title available

• Hosted
  • 1,849 posts
  •  crazy coder

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:15 PM

What is finally used will probably be similar to other mods. That's just the way it works when everyone is trying to mod the units etc. to fit what they think it should be. My goal with this mod is just to bring as much as what is available that fits into what I think the overall gameplay should be. While I would love to be 100% unique with everything new, that really does not matter with the overall goal of RJ-RotWK.

While there are added units, powers, etc. I've felt this mod has always been about bringing the gameplay of BFME1 into BFME2 and extending the flexibilty of the game itself and not as much as bringing new units, factions into play. The factions that were brought in were more about gameplay and my learning to mod (Rohan & EvilMen to expand the campaign, and Arnor was my first attempt at doing anything along those lines. It was to help me understand how the whole thing works together)

This is probably why it's hard for me to get skinners/modelers on board. I really want to bring the best of what is available out there into a gaming experience that I truly enjoy. If everyone else is along for the ride, all the better.

Well, did not mean to get off topic ;)

That was actually what I was thinking for Frodo, I wanted to increase his chance to resist and make damaging him more difficult. I just have to make sure I code it all correctly.

#25 astrinax

astrinax
  • Project Team
  • 135 posts
  • Projects:Projekt Balls Deep + Our Eye's Photography + *DesignArmy + RJ-Rotwk
  •  Ether Surfer

Posted 17 July 2007 - 02:57 AM

Posted Image

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.c...></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.c.../v/HaKxY3aEIL8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Sam uses his frying pan at about 2:50

....I ...I know. :p

I know and totally understand that the frying pan is a nice charming part of the hobbit known as samwise.

but when playing bfme... do you want a charming hobbit or a mean muth f*****g defender of the shire? eh?

:lol:

no matter what happens, rob has my support

Posted Image

#26 robnkarla

robnkarla

title available

• Hosted
  • 1,849 posts
  •  crazy coder

Posted 17 July 2007 - 03:02 AM

My thought on the frying pan was not supposed to be funny or along those lines. My thought was that it was a larger weapon that he would use as a blunt force. Swing it as hard as he can to create concussions and stun the enemy. It's not the strongest thing he could do, but as a gardener that what he can do.

#27 Ergopad

Ergopad
  • Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 04:43 AM

Hey guys, tell your friend to hit you with a frying pan as hard as possible. I'm sure the next thing you see is the heaven. :p
Posted Image
The Path of The Avatar

Heroes never die
...As long as they are remembered.

#28 Allathar

Allathar

これを翻訳する

• Project Team
  • 2,752 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 07:56 PM

Lol

Btw, iis SEE's Bilbo gonna be used for the Dwarves to replace Frodo?
It has been reported that some victims of rape, during the act, would retreat into a fantasy world from which they could not WAKE UP. In this catatonic state, the victim lived in a world just like their normal one, except they weren't being raped. The only way that they realized they needed to WAKE UP was a note they found in their fantasy world. It would tell them about their condition, and tell them to WAKE UP. Even then, it would often take months until they were ready to discard their fantasy world and PLEASE WAKE UP

#29 astrinax

astrinax
  • Project Team
  • 135 posts
  •  Ether Surfer

Posted 18 July 2007 - 11:06 PM

upon further reading into this post i thought about ring heros....wouldnt it be awesome for good factions to catch gollum with the ring and to have all evil factions see frodo or bilbo with the ring?

because you have to kill that unit to get it. I donno, probably too much coding. :p :D

Posted Image

#30 Ergopad

Ergopad
  • Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 06:59 AM

Or how about changing the "ring hunt", so that the ring is lying somewhere in the map (hidden) and only the ring bearer may find and carry it.

Ring bearers:

Dwarves: Bilbo
Elves: Sam
Gondor: Pippin
Rohan: Merry
Mordor: Gollum (as new hero!)
Evil Men: Khamul (as he was leading the search party (for the ring) in shire)
Isengard: Mauhúr/Snaga (?)
Goblin: Bolg (?)

Edited by Ergopad, 19 July 2007 - 07:01 AM.

Posted Image
The Path of The Avatar

Heroes never die

#31 robnkarla

robnkarla

title available

• Hosted
  • 1,849 posts
  •  crazy coder

Posted 19 July 2007 - 07:24 AM

Ah, now your getting closer......

Basically, there are two ring-bearers that can find the ring, and two alone. Bilbo will replace Frodo on the dwarves and Frodo will be available to all good factions and Gollum to evil. The ring will then be "hidden" randomly on the map. You will then be able to use gollum and frodo to find the ring, and only them.

That is the first step of the ring changes.....This will be implemented as soon as I get my hands on Bilbo and will be implemented across all maps that I have added the camera system. (So all maps in the end.) Right now it is just the two heroes that can find the ring, as they fit into the lore the best and Bilbo fits the dwarves better than Frodo.

Let's see how much of the ring system can be guessed.

Edited by robnkarla, 19 July 2007 - 07:24 AM.

#32 Ergopad

Ergopad
  • Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 07:29 AM

I see, great! :p

Though hope that every faction could have their own ring bearers.
Posted Image
The Path of The Avatar

Heroes never die

#33 Xingdao Fan

Xingdao Fan

look to the Evening Star!

• Project Team
  • 588 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK (BETA testing)

Posted 19 July 2007 - 08:01 AM

10 factions, all with an unique ring-hero? Most unlikely.

xingdaofan-1.jpg

#34 Ergopad

Ergopad
  • Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 09:31 AM

Hey dummy, I wasn't speaking about ring heroes, just ring BEARERS. ;)

PS. In Elvenstar Mod 2 there was "unique" ring hero in every faction and it worked nicely...
Posted Image
The Path of The Avatar

Heroes never die

#35 Allathar

Allathar

これを翻訳する

• Project Team
  • 2,752 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 01:08 PM

Ah I see, nice ideas Rob! So, lemme have a guess...

After finding the ring, the good factions can bring the Ring to their fortress to create a Ring-Hero OR let Frodo keep the ring, with Frodo now having a close-ranged destroy fortress power.

The Evil faction can, if the Ring is found by another faction, use Gollum to sneak to Frodo/fortress to steal the ring. (Frodo and Gollum are very weak and rely heavily on stealth).

But, if Evil faction gets the ring, they only have the option to bring it to their fortress. This brings me to the ring-heroes:

Gondor: Gandalf (a much stronger version of the common one)
Rohan: Radagast the Brown (same as above)
Elves: Galadriel
Dwarves: Beorn or Grimbeorn perhaps?
Arnor: no idea...

Isengard: Saruman of Many Colours
Goblins: The Balrog of Morgoth (the balrog power will be replaced by Angmar's wolf power, the goblins relied heavily on wolfes after all)
Evil Men: One of the Blue Wizards
Angmar: Witch-King?

Mordor: another story. I like the idea very much of having the Eye of Sauron as a fortress upgrade. If you find the ring and bring it to your fortress, you have 2 choices what to do with it:
a) Improve the Eye of Sauron: larger vision, better spying, no timer anymore (normal EoS will be 'super-upgrade' for the fortress, with a 5 min recharge time and you'll be able to use it 3 mins or something like that, see in the Mordor thread YodaWarriors great idea)
b) Recruit fully formed Sauron as we know him as the current Ring Hero, but you'll lose the EoS then.

So, an example with Gondor vs Mordor:
Gondor uses Frodo to find the Ring. Mordor player thinks Gondor is going for Ring-Hero Gandalf, thus you send Gollum to sneak into the enemies camp and steal the Ring. Gollum fails, so you respond by sending all your armies before he gets Gandalf. But, the Gondor player isn't going for Gandalf at all, and suddenly you see Frodo destroy your fortress in your unprotected base! ;)

Edited by Allathar, 19 July 2007 - 01:10 PM.

#36 Xingdao Fan

Xingdao Fan

look to the Evening Star!

• Project Team
  • 588 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK (BETA testing)

Posted 19 July 2007 - 02:00 PM

That is too complex.

And even for ring-bearers, it's impossible to get an unique for each faction.

Evil factions get Gollum as ring-bearer and Sauron as ring-hero, Good factions get Frodo as ring-bearer and Galadriel as ring-hero.

There is an issue, though. As far as I know, Gollum did not have the ring at the time of Angmar vs Arnor, and Frodo wasn't even born back then. What about these two factions?

xingdaofan-1.jpg

#37 Allathar

Allathar

これを翻訳する

• Project Team
  • 2,752 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 02:03 PM

No, it isn't too complex. Ring-heroes are like normal heroes except you code them in the ring-hero line for the faction instead of normal hero line. :/ So there's no problem at all with an unique ring-hero for each faction.

The rest would require coding, and I know it's possible.

#38 astrinax

astrinax
  • Project Team
  • 135 posts
  •  Ether Surfer

Posted 19 July 2007 - 04:40 PM

Ring or not, I don't see frodo destroying a fortress/base ;)

Posted Image

#39 Lotrfan2

Lotrfan2

title available

• Banned
  • 328 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 04:47 PM

Frodo: Gandalf the ring is mine

Gandalf: Nooooooooooo destroy it

Frodo: F*** off old man

Gandalf: nooooooooooo

Frodo: (goes and kills mordor base and then gandalf)

Yea i dont see that happening with the ring or not ;)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#40 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  • Projects:RJ RotWK, Twilight of the Republic, HDLH
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator
  • Donated

Posted 19 July 2007 - 06:11 PM

me and rob have talked about this a lot.

the idea for frodo destroying a fortress at close range was that he would be casting the ring into fire right at the enemies stronghold. i think that you can either choose him, or get a normal ring hero. now, heros will be upgraded with the ring if its found i think, so mordor will have sauron from eye of sauron, isen will have saruman from saruman, etc.

yodasig2.png
My political compass
There's a story that the grass is so green...what did I see? Where have I been?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users