How is progress?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Natus

Natus

i maid a telescope with my smarties toob

• Project Team
  • 2,005 posts
  • Projects:Ex mapper, GCII Fanatic and sound tech.
  •  "Go fudge yourself you smarmy overly-camp handsome barstard" - Neil Faz

Posted 14 July 2007 - 11:44 PM

Self explanatory, enjoyed 2.5, just wondering how it is all proceeding?
Natus 3.4

Corrupt program now requires constant reboots and does not function at all in majority of instances. Designed with a web browser component to replace AOL, it has exceeded our expectations by being more crashy and unreliable and with worse tech support. We didn't think it was physically possible! A general product recall is advised; when it does function it seems to require background processes Girl 0.1Beta to stave off further crashes. Will someone PLEASE remove that code, and insert Backbone 1.9 in its place? That's assuming we even bother to continue this prog.

#2 Daz

Daz

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,654 posts
  •  Revora Co-Founder

Posted 15 July 2007 - 09:24 AM

Pretty well.

Radar Jammer issue is that it isn't an area affect or a constant weapon, it's a pulse. So the player being jammed isn't going to just have a turned off radar - it actually flicks on and off but does it so fast that the minimap doesn't get chance to come back on. Visually that's not a problem, but it means the radar on/off noise gets repeated alot and it sounds awful. It could be left but I'd like to look into sorting it out if I can.

I really need someone else to do AI, I don't think I've got a good enough grasp of the system to do it.

Having trouble getting the colour I want for terrain when I've rendered it out of 3dsmax, it always seems to end up either too green or too black ingame, that's got me a bit demoralised for now as it's a slow and tedious process (change the texture, render the tiles, change the palette to use the new colours, put the tiles into the .tem files, try it ingame).

Damage frames I can probably get done in a day or two once I try a few tests to find the best way to get a good effect.

Civvy infantry is either a case of running the old .shp files through my PSP scripts to get the new .shp files, or is going to be a bit of a pain as I think I might have lost the aforementioned scripts. I think they all use the same sequence as the Technician (minus the firing frames) or at least very similar so that part should be easy enough.

Just need to recut the sidebar so it fits the Soviet alignments (it's the same for both factions, but Westwood has the buttons in the RA2 ones in slightly different positions).

Autonormals is a case of me sitting and opening 70 voxel files and running the newer autonormals one at a time. I did ask Banshee if he could put the new script into the Cube Normaliser so I could batch process but I think he's rather busy lately.

It's probably a bit less than a week's worth of solid work overall, but I don't have the attention span to do it all at once so it'll take a tad longer.
Maybe done by early next month, but I wouldn't take that as gospel as if someone had asked me last month I would have said early this month :p

Edited by Daz, 15 July 2007 - 09:24 AM.

#3 Mammoth Tank Commander

Mammoth Tank Commander
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  •  Scout

Posted 21 July 2007 - 05:23 PM

Hey couldnt an area affect be put into use like what the desolator had?? Although i doubt if the max cell spread that RP has configured wil be enough to keep that effective range.
N. E. Wilson

#4 Daz

Daz

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,654 posts
  •  Revora Co-Founder

Posted 21 July 2007 - 05:39 PM

The problem is that with EMP the Damage= relates to the time the effect lasts for and the ROF is still the ROF.
If I have a large Damage= value the effect will last for a longer amount of time before it has to be re-fired, but it will also continue for this amount of time regardless of whether you destroy the Radar Jammer or not.

So you'd be able to get an MRJ in range of the Radar Dome, "shoot" it and then retreat and the minimap would still be offline.

The alternative is having a low damage value and a highish ROF so that the MRJ is "firing" repeatedly. This means when the MRJ is destroyed or moves out of range the minimap comes back online straight away as it should. But it also means that while the radar is being jammed the minimap starts to turn on but then gets flicked back to off before the radar turn on animation has finished. Which wouldn't be a problem, but the sound that plays when the minimap turns on/off gets annoying.

Edited by Daz, 21 July 2007 - 05:59 PM.

#5 MCV

MCV

title available

• Hosted
  • 737 posts
  • Projects:Uh... I'm writing a NGE/GitS/Lain/Snow Crash crossover fanfic?
  •  Decipherer of Paradox' legal talk.

Posted 24 July 2007 - 07:48 PM

Couldn't you just give it a slower ROF than time it's EMP'ed? But a very short EMP, so that it doesn't flicker, but still needs to be channeled?
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users