69 replies to this topic

#1 Lord of the Rings Junkie

Lord of the Rings Junkie

Musn't hurt the Precious!

• Project Team
  • 827 posts
  • Projects:S.E.E., Gate Mod

Posted 15 July 2007 - 01:50 AM

We all like LOTR maybe a little more than we should, right? We have a couple LOTR computer games now, but I was wondering what you thought would be an ideal game.

For me it would be sort of a combo of BFME and ROTK. You could zoom out of the map to get RTS type mass control of your troops, as well as zoom in and take personal control of your troops like in ROTK (along with a few control tweaks to make it more FPS like.) The skins and textures would be the same if not higher res than ROTK, and would have the same type of detailed animations. The number of troops would be true to life as well, meaning a 300-against-10,000 Helm's deep battle, and hundreds of thousands of mordor units at Minas Tirith. The map would be a complete copy of Middle-Earth, as described by Tolkien and visualized by PJ, think MASSIVE, like the big city map in The Matrix Online, only bigger. Hyper-real would be the way to describe it, rendered with Crytek's CryEngine2. Maybe even have an MMORPG mode so everybody you're fighting is a real person! (Disables RTS functionality...)

BTW, who here plays ROTK? Or is it just BFME people here?

[Edit] Apologies if this is too off topic.

Edited by Lord of the Rings Junkie, 15 July 2007 - 06:29 PM.

"Et Earello Endorenna utulien.
Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar
tenn' Ambar-metta!"
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Don't come between The Lord of the Rings and its junkie!

#2 adummy

adummy

Keep it Clean!

• Project Team
  • 1,760 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 04:43 AM

moved to Green Dragon
Posted Image

#3 GothmogtheOrc

GothmogtheOrc

Ruler of the Morgul Vale

• Hosted
  • 2,263 posts
  • Projects:Kings of the West Mod
  •  T3A Chamber Member - Retired

Posted 15 July 2007 - 06:12 AM

I have and enjoy RotK for both Computer and Xbox. It's a great game, I just wish there were more levels like the Southern Gate where you just kill lots and lots of orcs and rhun guys with no timers or other things to do.

I think a morrowind type game would really cool if based in middle earth. Not online, but with a huge huge huge map and you can explore everything like moria, isengard, and minas tirith. What would make it awesome would be the ability to interact with the real characters and storyline or go off on your own. And the ability to become a ruler of some sort and command other npc's.... say rising in rank in the gondorian army or playing the role of lurtz :p [/wishful thinking]

Speaking of morrowind, I think I might have to play a game of it sometime ;)

-Gto

Nine%20rings.jpg
Click on my Sig to go to my BFME Modding site where you can download my mods.
KotW%20Morgul%20In-game.jpg
Kings of the West Mod Leader
*Retired. PM me if you need to get a hold of me as I'll get an email notification and should reply within a day or so*

#4 cahik_

cahik_

Sage engine ruler

• Project Team
  • 1,896 posts
  • Projects:Rhovanion Alliance
  •  T3A Team Chamber Member and Crazy animator

Posted 15 July 2007 - 06:49 AM

commanding the armies of whole middleearth but hopefully this will come true with RA ;)

anyways oblivion style game based on books and movies would be awesome :p

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 15 July 2007 - 10:28 AM

yup, Oblivion kinda game would be the best! I love that game, but a LOTRish version would be soo much sweeter :ninja: There was a mod for it, but.... it got cancelled or something.. not that it wouldn't taken 6 years to complete.... :p

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

#6 kalecx

kalecx
  • Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 01:32 PM

I love rotk! go gandalf!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

xfire: warnexus

want a bfme2 see 4.5 mod match-up against me? add the xfire user above. :O

#7 Hebblewhite

Hebblewhite

Artificially Intelligent

• Project Team
  • 131 posts
  • Projects:WOP-AI (bfme AI plugin), Darkness Rising, Rhovanian Alliance
  •  Mysterious AI Guy...

Posted 15 July 2007 - 02:03 PM

I'm gonna go crazy with my idea :p

I want a cool star trek holodeck LOTR game, where I can join the battle and run around killing stuff in a mad kind of frenzy :ninja: That would be cool!

Or if that's too out there... I guess I'd be happy with a WII-like system with lots of sword combat etc. something a bit more immersive...

Finally (this one doen't involve me wanting to kill anything I promise :) ), something along the lines of the Total War franchise would be interesting for me. Were you can't churn out endless units, and you need to organise what you've got in the best way possible.
Reassuringly Expensive...

Blade with whom I have lived,
Blade with whom I now die,
Serve right and justice one last time,
Seek one last heart of evil,
Still one last life of pain,
Cut well old friend, and then... farewell

Posted Image

#8 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  • Projects:BFME2 - Nazgûl's Special Extended Edition
  •  Veteran

Posted 15 July 2007 - 02:22 PM

Lord of the Rings - Total War stylee.... 3 movies - 3 games! True to the story!... my 2 cents :p

(I know there's mods, but I'm talking about MAJOR budget full blown productions) :ninja:

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
"Do not come between the Nazgûl and his mod!"
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I S.E.E. YOU! <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#9 Juissi

Juissi

AWESOM-O

• Hosted
  • 1,555 posts
  • Projects:Last Alliance modification, The Hobbit mod
  •  Forger Of (Last) Alliance

Posted 15 July 2007 - 02:50 PM

My dream is this RPG that you can play online with other people. The map would include maybe small part of Middle-earth at first but then it would expand later on etc etc...Pretty much like LOTR based MMORPG :p

Hey but there already is one, its called Lord of The Rings Online :ninja:

#10 adummy

adummy

Keep it Clean!

• Project Team
  • 1,760 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 03:57 PM

Too bad The White Council got cancelled. Would have been close to Oblivion (wait, what am i thinking?? EA couldnt have done anyway near as good).

It would have been awesome if the Total War team would have gotten the movie and book rights. Giant battle on the walls of Minas Tirith :ninja:

I've always wanted an mmo style game, but with no powers. Just being a basic solider and leveling up gives you the options to get stronger armor, more health, stronger blades, sharper arrows. Or even giving you the ability to have AI soliders follow you around wherever you go.

what could have happened if the rights went to somene else :p . and now PJ is maing his own games so they will be the way he wants them.
Posted Image

#11 clonecommand

clonecommand

title available

• Members
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 04:00 PM

Some thing along the lines of BFME1, with one hit kills (no heros), the most amazing AI that could ever possibly exsist, etc. A much better castle seige/defense, with tons of room to fit archers, an amazing emotion for units system....

HAH! Dream on ^ maybe in 30 years! :ninja:

#12 Lord of the Rings Junkie

Lord of the Rings Junkie

Musn't hurt the Precious!

• Project Team
  • 827 posts
  • Projects:S.E.E., Gate Mod

Posted 15 July 2007 - 05:46 PM

Not online, but with a huge huge huge map and you can explore everything like moria, isengard, and minas tirith.[/wishful thinking]

Not exactly a game, and you need a beefy 'puter for it, but some people are already working on a fully detailed Minas Tirith to explore. :ninja: It's still a work in progress, but anyway here's the link: The Minas Tirith Project
"Et Earello Endorenna utulien.
Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar
tenn' Ambar-metta!"
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Don't come between The Lord of the Rings and its junkie!

#13 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  • Projects:It'sa secreeet
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Expert
  • Donated

Posted 15 July 2007 - 05:46 PM

well like said above that style game, but instead of one hit kills make the units single up and fight with each other, blovcking and stricking and so forth, this willmake the battles alot more realistic and way cooler. for trolls or whatnot maybe the units stick to the spiked club and the troll has ti pick them off and eat them :ninja: but admit it wouldn't you love to see aragorn ACUALLY FIGHTING a nazgul under your command in RTS?

https://www.twitch.tv/vileartist - Yes shameless self-promotion

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Old modders never die, they just fade away" ~ Hostile

#14 Nertea

Nertea

...lo sa raptor!

• Hosted
  • 3,349 posts
  • Projects:Star Villains and Space heroes, The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:BFME/Unity

Posted 15 July 2007 - 06:26 PM

I've always wanted an mmo style game, but with no powers. Just being a basic solider and leveling up gives you the options to get stronger armor, more health, stronger blades, sharper arrows. Or even giving you the ability to have AI soliders follow you around wherever you go.

*points to Mount & Blade and the LOTR mod*

sig.png
I really don't do requests and my Arnor Soldier is not fit for BFME. Don't ask me for either.

#15 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 15 July 2007 - 06:51 PM

either Oblivion as I've said, or a Total War game indeed... 1 Game though, taking the WotR scene, and perhaps expanions packs, or new games, with the Simarillion and stuff that I don't know about :p
A TW mod simply isn't enough... 2 aren't enough either :ninja:

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

#16 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 15 July 2007 - 07:51 PM

probably a zelda-ish game in the lotr story. not just middle earth, but the actual period of LOTR. maybe a fictional character which joins the fellowship, and after that does all kinds of things that are interesting gameplay (which the movie characters don't all the time)
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#17 Nertea

Nertea

...lo sa raptor!

• Hosted
  • 3,349 posts
  • Projects:Star Villains and Space heroes, The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:BFME/Unity

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:57 AM

An RTS that works roughly like a Total War game, but makes far better use of terrain and pathfinding, being able to reflect the more skirmishing engagements that make up a good portion of LOTR. Includes things such as
-advanced pathing that allows units to make use of terrain effectively
-dynamically changing units (ability to split units mid-battle and recombine in interesting ways)
-some sort of advanced formation system
-fully simulated physics engine
-PROPER LINE OF SIGHT (something inside me dies when someone refers to the wee circle around something as the line of sight)

It would have a totally awesome scaleable campaign map, which would be similar to Supcom's in that the zoom function would be seamless from battle to campaign (eg. you choose your battlefields).

Similar to sports games, when you choose your coaching strategy, there would be a screen before battles where you could issue directives to commanders, for example during a siege you could shift priority to shoving down ladders instead of having your archers continue firing, or vice versa... whether skirmshers should by default charge when out of ammunition. Combined with advanced AI (those pikes look sharp, I'm going to run at them!) this would allow you to focus on actual tactics instead of Blizzard strategy. The distraction as the troops sally out from the sally port, instead of the endless attempt to stop your skirmish cavalry from charging out the main gate.

And sieges would work ever so much better with dynamic use of cover - for example instead of ranking up on the walls to die a la Total War, your troops would take cover behind ramparts, waiting for the enemy to get close, or (depending on your priority set) stand their ground and fire into the massed orcs over and over again. The attacker would have access to all the convenience of siege equipment, and he'd have his own global tactics - for example setting archers to by default suppress the enemy or to take potshots at them as they peeked over the walls.

etc.

sig.png
I really don't do requests and my Arnor Soldier is not fit for BFME. Don't ask me for either.

#18 Garrison Nomad

Garrison Nomad

Bringin' in Da Boyz

• Project Team
  • 608 posts
  • Projects:Beta testing for SEE
  •  I'm in your closet...eating your clothes.

Posted 16 July 2007 - 04:42 PM

This was originally a big project someone back at MeV was attempting, but it fizzled out. Anyways, the idea was LoTR:battlefront. It would be a Star Wars: Battlefront style game with LotR. Hack-n-slash, mass armies, and being right in the middle of it. Being an individual soldier fending off an attack at a castle, or being one of the thousands of orcs raiding minas tirith (albeit with a lot of respawns :p).
If I were you and you were me I'd have a different face.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
"The only real things are imaginary..."

#19 zimoo

zimoo

Ecthelion of the Fountain

• Project Team
  • 2,009 posts
  • Projects:Lurking until the off topic begins...
  •  Guardian of the Books

Posted 18 July 2007 - 07:48 PM

Total War style game, based ENTIRELY on the books. No armour designs/event changes copied from the films, just 100% book-based.

Or LOTRO, with plate armour and crossbows removed (and dwarves while they're at it :p)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Playing games? Ah, you'll never be a good modder if you get involved in actually playing them!

#20 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

No sex please, we're Dwarves

• Hosted
  • 1,655 posts
  • Projects:The Peninsular War
  •  I aten't dead.

Posted 24 July 2007 - 06:59 PM

The Last Days (as Nert pointed too earlier in the thread) is pretty close to my ideal LOTR game. RTS wise... what he said :huh:

The LOTR Oblivion mod looks promising.

Dain: Arr Nertea: yarrrr Dain: haharrrr Nertea: graaawwwr Dain: oaaaaaaaarr Nertea: .... honk?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users