Photo

What is your dream LOTR game?

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2007 - 01:11 PM

A Bow/Arrow Centered FPS Would Be Kinda Wierd. I Mean Like Playing As Legolas Massacreing The Evil Guys From A First Person View. Actually Sounds Kinda Fun :p

#42 Lord of the Rings Junkie

Lord of the Rings Junkie

Musn't hurt the Precious!

• Project Team
  • 827 posts
  • Projects:S.E.E., Gate Mod

Posted 07 August 2007 - 04:48 PM

You guys have done and are doing great things with BFME's engine, but there's only so much you can do with it. Also, multiplayer skirmishes have very limited appeal to me, so until someone does a good campaign and/or WotR mod I'm SOL (one of the reasons I'm following the RJ-RotWK mod with such interest).[/url]

Nazgul has some tentative plans for making SEE campaign friendly. :p ;) Very low priority right now though... :sad:
"Et Earello Endorenna utulien.
Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar
tenn' Ambar-metta!"
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Don't come between The Lord of the Rings and its junkie!

#43 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2007 - 09:07 PM

*Necromance* :)

A game where the story would be that the real Fellowship would get lost, and the ring would be found and brought to Rivendell, and you'd have to create a custom Fellowship to take the ring to Mordor. It would be an RPG, where you'd be free to explore, but it would have a story you'd have to follow.

#44 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts
  • Projects:The Peloponnesian Wars Mod.
  •  There are no heroes, no villains - only decisions.
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator

Posted 18 December 2007 - 11:56 PM

^ He did it, not me :crazed:
---
I'd like to see an RPG that merges movie designs with book places, events, and characters. A game where you would choose which race you'd like to be, and then which civilization you'd like to originate in, and then maybe which bloodline you'd have (Silvan or Noldorin, Numenorian or Southron, Longbeard or Broadbeam, etc.) and they'd each give different boosts to your stats, such as: Silvan heritage would give you better archery, stealth, and tracking skills, while a Noldorin origin would give you better all-around stats, and a boost towards craftmanship and basic attack. And your starting civilization would grant you better armour and weapons access: starting in Minas Tirith would give you better armour (plate and maile), while starting in Lossanarch would give you better weapons (axes, shields). And so on.
Cheers,
-mike

#45 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

No sex please, we're Dwarves

• Hosted
  • 1,655 posts
  • Projects:The Peninsular War
  •  I aten't dead.

Posted 19 December 2007 - 01:16 PM

A decent LOTR RPG. Yes.

Dain: Arr Nertea: yarrrr Dain: haharrrr Nertea: graaawwwr Dain: oaaaaaaaarr Nertea: .... honk?

#46 JEV3

JEV3

Mighty Armadillo

• Hosted
  • 719 posts
  • Projects:Game Enhancement Mod
  •  Coder, Skinner, Graphics, GEM Mod Leader
  • Job:T3A Chamber Member

Posted 21 December 2007 - 01:32 AM

I'd like to see some more platforming-style games in the LotR universe. I really liked the Hobbit, but the loading times were so bad that I only played it when I felt like wasting time.
He who bears skill but lacks effort, makes himself inferior to those who have no skill but try nonetheless.
Posted Image
Posted Image
"There is some good in this world, and its worth fighting for!"
J.M.J.

#47 Elvenlord

Elvenlord

Polis Ranger

• Advisors
  • 3,838 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 23 December 2007 - 02:59 AM

I still say a LOTR based game like star-wars: battlefront would be awesome....

elvenlordbanner.jpg

#48 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 23 December 2007 - 03:50 PM

nope, a Oblivionish LOTR game would be best :p
and also, unlike Oblivion where you can't gather troops when your, ie, the master of the Fighters Guild, you could take troops with you in the LOTR game... Like, if you've gained a General rank within the army of Minas Tirith, you can take a party and... go fight :p
Oh, and no magic... you can' be a mage or something... maybe a specific class though...
I belive however, that you shouldn't be an orc or uruk, but you could be a man of Rhun, Khand or Harad...
but all in all, race doesn't affect your choice when choosing a faction, aka... A gondor dwarf? :p

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

#49 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 10:57 PM

Well, certain Races would have certain Factions aligned to them...to keep that from happening :p

#50 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 03:58 AM

Just thought I'd tack this onto my earlier post (#44):
I'd also like to see limited, if any, magic present. There were Five Wizards, not thousands of them..
I'd also like to see a greater importance placed on food and "health" options - ie, miruvor and lembas would increase your endurance and movement speed, not necessarily your health. I'd also like to see it as two 'health options' - your endurance and your wellness (for lack of a better name). Your endurance would be drained by combat, running around, riding horses/wargs, etc. while your 'wellness' would be replenished by food and weakend by combat.
Another cool touch would be general importance placed on the Elves and Dwarves compared to most genres. Ie, if you've managed to gain Galadriel's favour and recieved gifts from her (as the Fellowship did) and you're not an Elf, then that would elevate your general status among NPCs and other players. Perhaps giving you a special rank among Gondor's military, and of course the title of Elf-Friend - which would allow you free entrance to Lorien, where you'd have to be a generally high rank to even get past the Marchwardens.
As for Dwarves, a suit of Dwarf-maile would give you an incredibly high defence and respect boost.
Finally, quests.. I'd love for there NOT to be un-Tolkein things such as "gather ingredients for a potion", or "settle a disagreement between the Goblins" and instead give players the option to hunt bands of Orcs, fight for your Lord (Denethor, Galadriel, and Theoden come to mind) and advance your personal skills (woodcraft, hunting, etc.)
Sorry if it's a little late to add this, just thought this was a good discussion :thumbsupsmiley:
Cheers,
-mike

#51 CNCM_BLITZ

CNCM_BLITZ

Captain of the Flying Dutchman

• Members
  • 113 posts
  • Projects:Forgetting RA2 and learning BfME
  •  Amateur Modder

Posted 30 January 2008 - 05:16 AM

Elfhelm, if I may be so bold as to point out, there were many other peoples in middle earth with great powers and skills that rivalled the Istari. Even simple people knew how to make spells EI Thorin and company putting spells on the stones which were layed over the buried troll-gold to help them find it again.

I say a decent RPG would be nice. An MMORPG still. One made with movie rights. The Battlefront style would be cool too.

#52 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 30 January 2008 - 11:55 AM

here we go again.... ;)
where you've been, wikipedia again?

as far as I recall, Gandalf put the spell on the troll-gold..

I don't think many rivaled the Istari in magic....

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

#53 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 30 January 2008 - 10:49 PM

Magic is used sparingly in Middle-earth, and when it is it's less banging and flashing and more enhancing what's already there (e.g. the Fords of Bruinen). It's more about large-scale effects.
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#54 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 11:00 PM

This Thread pretty much sums up whatever argument we could have.

#55 CNCM_BLITZ

CNCM_BLITZ

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  Amateur Modder

Posted 31 January 2008 - 08:34 PM

I didnt say everybody used it. And no I didnt use wiki. Also I am pretty sure it just said "they" put spells on it, meaning Gandalf didnt do all the work. Also those that rivalled the Istari were the elf lords. And whats more, dwarves used magic for their craft all the time. At Bilbo's birthday party some of the toys were obviously magic and cam from Dale and some were made by dwarves. This also points out that human craftsmen used magic too.

Edited by CNCM_BLITZ, 31 January 2008 - 08:36 PM.

#56 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 31 January 2008 - 08:50 PM

Read that thread Elfhelm linked you to... good stuff.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#57 CNCM_BLITZ

CNCM_BLITZ

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  Amateur Modder

Posted 02 February 2008 - 01:22 AM

Aye, it is. It is an interesting point, that things only seems magical but if you look at it like that, then many awesome things about LOTR become like tricks and special effects rather than enchanting, and it makes the whole story rather dull.

I read one point where the Elves didnt know what magic means. It is only a language barrier. They think of the "magic" as their power, not as "craft". They think magic means the tricks and deceptions of the Enemy. Galadriel states this all very clearly to Frodo.

When Tolkein says Magic, he really means actual powers and spells. He would have stated it if it was only complex crafts and superstition.

#58 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 03:23 AM

Not since each of the novels are written from either a Hobbit or (rarely) Man's point of view.
I like to think that the 'magic' employed by the Elder Races are simply technology that is far above that conceivable by those not of those races.
It is said that Hobbits use an 'everyday sort of magic' but I take that to mean simple woodland tricks not known to people.
That said, the 'magic' used in the films and movies is fine with me - brilliant FX work is always welcome!
Cheers,
-mike

#59 UltimateRanger

UltimateRanger

Totally Crazy(and a little mad to)

• Project Team
  • 336 posts
  • Projects:Lone Wolf Beta Tester,Trying to Learn how to mod,having a monster signature
  •  Modder in Training-I wish!

Posted 25 May 2008 - 09:13 PM

Most of you probably already noticed but here is the Lord of the Rings Battlefront you wanted

Edited by UltimateRanger, 25 May 2008 - 09:13 PM.

Posted Image
Turn off your lights when you dont need em on!-If you wanna help, put this as an image in to your sig http://helmsdeeplast....net/GW_sig.jpg
Posted ImagePosted Image

Longest serving lonewolf beta tester( that is currently active)

#60 LadyRhiea

LadyRhiea

CPPB

• Project Team
  • 784 posts
  • Projects:RJ-ROTWK

Posted 29 May 2008 - 06:52 PM

My ideal Lord of the Rings game is a hot steamy romance RPG with all the boys in the movie, especially Boromir. You have the option of creating your own character and choosing their gender, and by no means is this game homophobic. Your character will follow an intricate storyline that branches off to even more complicated storylines as you slowly choose who your soul mate hero is. There of course will be further complicated love triangles, up to love octagons. Finally after slaving for 200 hours in the plot, you get your ending which can be a dramatic break up, a romantic union, or a HINT to kinky group secks which will cause controversy in half the globe and give Jack Thompson new ammo against the evil empire of gaming.

And then we need a Lord of the Rings: Ring Arcade that includes:
1) A race car game but with horses.
2) A pinball game with Frodo's face as the ball, and he flies all over middle earth. Holes being Shelob's lairs.
3) A cooking game where you play as Eowyn, trying to score Impressing Points with Aragorn.
4) A Mario with Gollum and the ring.
5) A bowling game where Aragorn kicks an Uruk-hai helm, if you epicphail you break your toe.
6) A space invaders with Lurtz and hobbits.
7) A tetris with Sauron and Frodo. The last man building gets teh ring! :good:

Seriously though, my ideal LOTR game is just like everybody else's. Oblivion. My god I love that game. Though has anybody else considered Kingdom Under Fire? That would be pretty awesome too.

And to the first post, it is possible to have what you wanted, RTS and Hack and Slash, but you need to mod it. Anybody heard of Rise and Fall? Not bad IMO.

Posted Image

I'm not smoking anything, I'm just Japanese.

You guys better hope I don't get hired by EA one day, sorry, I meant interned for very low wages

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users